Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's all about Changing the Culture

Started by WilsonHog, June 17, 2011, 12:02:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hogfather

June 20, 2011, 10:14:07 am #50 Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:16:15 am by The Hogfather
Quote from: hogsanity on June 20, 2011, 10:06:19 am
For those who are mad that RC left, why?  For those who are glad he is gone, why?

IMO, it changes nothing for 2011-2012.  Had he played in the MA style, he would have scored about as much as he always had, and givenup MORE on defense than he had the past 3 years.  However, his being here would not have hurt the team either. 

What I am saying is it is not worth the angst either way.  This team is still what it is, undermanned, young, and transitioning from one coach/style to another.  RC being here or not was not going to change that.   

You guys throwing expectations down the drain because of a coaching change (to a better coach) make it worse.  It is like some people have been intentionally trying to lower expectations, just in case Anderson failed this season.  There's no need to do that.  Obviously, now it is a bit different, with the departure of Bryant/Clarke.

Had Bryant/Clarke remained and we added the 4 new guys (assuming Ross won't make it), there's no reason why we should have to rebuild.  We would not have been undermanned, nor overly young.  We'd have just as much, if not more, talent than anyone in the SEC-W.  Being young isn't an excuse in college basketball anymore.  We should be winning 20+ (I think 25+) this upcoming season, but now I'll be THRILLED if we can get to 20 (you guys acting like Rotnei wouldn't have been an instrumental part of this team are sorely mistaken---we NEED shooters for this system to be successful).  That's unbelievably frustrating to me.  It is exactly what I was afraid of.  Luckily, we've been able to keep the recruits (so far), or it would be even worse.

I guess if it was any different, we wouldn't be the Razorback basketball program post-1995. 

Truly sad.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on June 20, 2011, 10:14:07 am
You guys throwing expectations down the drain because of a coaching change (to a better coach) make it worse.  It is like some people have been intentionally trying to lower expectations, just in case Anderson failed this season.  There's no need to do that.  Obviously, now it is a bit different, with the departure of Bryant/Clarke.

Had Bryant/Clarke remained and we added the 4 new guys (assuming Ross won't make it), there's no reason why we should have to rebuild.  We would not have been undermanned, nor overly young.  We'd have just as much, if not more, talent than anyone in the SEC-W.  Being young isn't an excuse in college basketball anymore.  We should be winning 20+ (I think 25+) this upcoming season, but now I'll be THRILLED if we can get to 20 (you guys acting like Rotnei wouldn't have been an instrumental part of this team are sorely mistaken---we NEED shooters for this system to be successful).  That's unbelievably frustrating to me.  It is exactly what I was afraid of.  Luckily, we've been able to keep the recruits (so far), or it would be even worse.

I guess if it was any different, we wouldn't be the Razorback basketball program post-1995. 

Truly sad.

I had the same expectations before PEL was fired, after MA was hired, and now that 3 players with experience have left and Ross very well may not make it.   

I am not watering down anything.  I just never saw this season with the rose colored glasses that some did.  They may shock me.  They may win 25 and make the sweet 16, and that will be great.  They may also struggle, and only win 20 and have to sweat getting in. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

nwarazfan

Quote from: hogsanity on June 20, 2011, 10:06:19 am
For those who are mad that RC left, why?  For those who are glad he is gone, why?

IMO, it changes nothing for 2011-2012.  Had he played in the MA style, he would have scored about as much as he always had, and givenup MORE on defense than he had the past 3 years.  However, his being here would not have hurt the team either. 

What I am saying is it is not worth the angst either way.  This team is still what it is, undermanned, young, and transitioning from one coach/style to another.  RC being here or not was not going to change that.   

His defense is a little better than you are insinuating.  Perhaps with the improved guard play and added backcourt scoring options in Madden and Young, defenses couldn't have keyed on Rotnei.  SEC teams couldn't put their best defender who is 4-5 inches taller than Rotnei on him with Madden or Young on the court with him.  People are evaluating Clarke when he played with zero other perimeter scoring options and very rarely a low post option and certainly not one where his man would have to leave to help on.  Performances like 36 at Vandy, 26 vs Kentucky, 21 at Bama and 24 vs Miss St would have been the norm and games like Florida or UGa last season wouldn't occur.  His scoring would likely be the difference in a few more wins where its doubtful his defense would have as similar an effect as far as losses.  Can't sugarcoat this from an on the court perspective. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on June 20, 2011, 10:19:52 am
I had the same expectations before PEL was fired, after MA was hired, and now that 3 players with experience have left and Ross very well may not make it.   

I am not watering down anything.  I just never saw this season with the rose colored glasses that some did.  They may shock me.  They may win 25 and make the sweet 16, and that will be great.  They may also struggle, and only win 20 and have to sweat getting in. 

With Clarke and Bryant there, along with the 4 new recruits, there was no excuse not to have a successful season and then build on that for the following season.  I understand about lowering expectations now that Clarke/Bryant have left.

To act like Clarke leaving makes no difference on the court is just ridiculous, as nwarazfan said before me.  I hate all the off court drama he's been involved in and it might even be good for him to leave to improve team morale/togetherness.  But, on the court, his absence changes a lot in my mind.

Here goes another complete rebuild......

I'm just glad we have a ton of young talent being infused into the program.  Hopefully, we can keep all of them around and add some more talent (Goodwin/Stokes/Jackson) for next year.

hogsanity

IF RC was going to be a JR, I might feel differently, but he would have played one season under MA.  Kind of like had Mallett already been here when BP came, and had only played the 1st season that BP was here.  Yes, he may have made a 1 or 2 game difference, but at best we would have still gone 7-5 instead of 5-7. 

As it is now, someone is going to get more PT and more experence than they would have.  I also can't help but think that RC was told if he did not do some things better, like play DEFENSE, his playing time would be reduced, and that was part of why, even after MA being here almost 3 months, RC still wanted to leave.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on June 20, 2011, 10:59:38 am
IF RC was going to be a JR, I might feel differently, but he would have played one season under MA.  Kind of like had Mallett already been here when BP came, and had only played the 1st season that BP was here.  Yes, he may have made a 1 or 2 game difference, but at best we would have still gone 7-5 instead of 5-7. 

TOTALLY different situation.  They couldn't be further apart.  We didn't have a top 5 recruiting class coming in from Nutt.  We also didn't have good, older players returning.  We had a couple of good upperlassmen and then a ton of players lacking SEC talent.

QuoteAs it is now, someone is going to get more PT and more experence than they would have.  I also can't help but think that RC was told if he did not do some things better, like play DEFENSE, his playing time would be reduced, and that was part of why, even after MA being here almost 3 months, RC still wanted to leave.

I understand his thinking, even though I think it is idiotic.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Hogfather on June 20, 2011, 11:09:16 am
TOTALLY different situation.  They couldn't be further apart.  We didn't have a top 5 recruiting class coming in from Nutt.  We also didn't have good, older players returning.  We had a couple of good upperlassmen and then a ton of players lacking SEC talent.

I understand his thinking, even though I think it is idiotic.

I am not saying I wanted him gone, but now that he is, that is the only way to move forward.  Someone is going to pick up his minutes, and hopefully his scoring.

He did not want to be here, for some reason.  Be it reduced playing time, the offense not revolving around him, having to play pressure defense, or who knows what other problems there are.  For a SR to want to leave, it had to be something he did not think he could live with for 30 games.

Jack The BN

In a few years the hogs will be on top, winning games, and playing for another title, and we'll all be able to forget about all the drama.

How relevant was was the 2007 drama when the hogs were playing in the Sugar Bowl?
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

Oklahawg

Quote from: Jack The BN on June 20, 2011, 11:26:26 am
In a few years the hogs will be on top, winning games, and playing for another title, and we'll all be able to forget about all the drama.

How relevant was was the 2007 drama when the hogs were playing in the Sugar Bowl?

Good point.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

psooie

June 20, 2011, 01:34:51 pm #59 Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:38:17 pm by psooie
Its all about recruiting. MA should have a nice base of 7-8 returning players for 2012-13( dam i'm getting old) so if he lands 5-6 bigtime players in the fall, maybe 1-2 juco, in his year 2 that could be a great team. Next year, the football buzz should cover hoops season again.