Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Mountian Lions

Started by Hogjawls, December 16, 2008, 07:08:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBreath

Quote from: old hog on February 02, 2009, 08:09:16 pm
yea, I know. But the wife was kinda freaked out and in NO mood to stick around. We were around heavy brush at the time. And had that eerie feeling of being watched the minute we got out of the car. It was a little smaller than a softball with about 3/4 tracks in the mud. About 4 feet apart. Looks like it was running.
they had bulldozed a strip back into the woods about a 1/4 of a mile for a new trail. It is on the opposite side from the lodge.
Years ago, I encountered some tracks in the snow in Pike County that appeared to be from a big cat, they had melted and refroze, so they were pretty well distorted, they were roughly the size of a softball.  The best I recall, they were spaced out for the most part between 6 & 8 feet.

The beast did appear to be familar with the area, he followed an old road for about 200 yards, then crossed a small creek, and an old field, then went into a scope of woods before crossing a river at a shoal.  His line of travel for about a half mile was pretty much in a straight line to that river crossing.

I also ran across a track about 10 years previous to this instance of what was claimed to be a big cat, there had been rumors and sightings of various claims for several years in the area on the west side of Lake Greeson.  My dad, claimed to have had several close calls/ near sightings, etc.

It's probably been at least 15 years since I ran across those tracks in the snow, haven't seen anything since then,  I did hear that some people had been seeing one regularly in the Corinth area right on the Pike-Howard County Line a few years ago.

I've never seen one however.  Don't doubt they're here, or have been here or something.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

twistitup

Oldhog, Don't waste your time...

Your crazy to think there are cougar in AR; why the hell would a cougar want to live in AR? Way too close to Texas, and we know how cougars feel about Texas (they like it so much they don't want to roam to other states). Also, don't bother posting proof ~ everyone on here is a cat expert and they 'really' know the truth.  You didn't really see that cat print, it was all a figment of your imagination.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Wayne Watson

Quote from: twistitup on February 02, 2009, 09:27:09 pm

Your crazy to think there are cougar in AR; why the hell would a cougar want to live in AR? Way too close to Texas, and we know how cougars feel about Texas (they like it so much they don't want to roam to other states). Also, don't bother posting proof ~ everyone on here is a cat expert and they 'really' know the truth.  You didn't really see that cat print, it was all a figment of your imagination.

You better say "Just kidding!"   ;)
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

old hog

Quote from: twistitup on February 02, 2009, 09:27:09 pm

You work for the AFGC don't you? ;)

Verge

Quote from: old hog on February 02, 2009, 06:22:47 pm
Make your own assumptions as to origins. As the AGFC says there are no Mountain lions in Ark.

When did they say that, i know for a fact they came and removed one from north central arkansas in the early 90's. Maybe since we were so close to missouri they didn't count it or something...

Either way, it sure as hell wasn't black.

twistitup

Quote from: Verge on February 03, 2009, 12:29:26 pm
When did they say that, i know for a fact they came and removed one from north central arkansas in the early 90's. Maybe since we were so close to missouri they didn't count it or something...

But, one of it's offspring might be! It is possible.

old hog

Quote from: Verge on February 03, 2009, 12:29:26 pm

Was told by a state biologists with the AFGC, around 2002, that there no verifiable reports/sightings of Mountain Lions in the state of Arkansas. Now this may or may not have been a ploy to keep people from hunting them. That I don't know. But have heard too many stories of sightings to believe it. When we told a warden about the tracks, he said that during the 90's, a biologist with the State spent 10 years up around Mt. Magazine looking for signs of cougars. He officially reported no evidence for the existence of cougars in the area. Now why would someone spend that much time in the woods unless he WAS watching something. Again make your own conclusions.
Bet it wasn't black, though.  ;)

Verge

Quote from: old hog on February 03, 2009, 01:29:52 pm
Was told by a state biologists with the AFGC, around 2002, that there no verifiable reports/sightings of Mountain Lions in the state of Arkansas. Now this may or may not have been a ploy to keep people from hunting them. That I don't know. But have heard too many stories of sightings to believe it. When we told a warden about the tracks, he said that during the 90's, a biologist with the State spent 10 years up around Mt. Magazine looking for signs of cougars. He officially reported no evidence for the existence of cougars in the area. Now why would someone spend that much time in the woods unless he WAS watching something. Again make your own conclusions.

Ah, ok, that makes sense.

They hauled one out of carroll county due to interference with some rural houses. Personally, i would find it extremely UNlikely to think there aren't mountain lions living in arkansas, considering how adaptable and resiliant the cat is.

twistitup

We should make a hogville pact to shoot the next cougar seen. No matter the consequences (they may be protected?, but it would prove existence). Who's in?

Verge

Quote from: twistitup on February 03, 2009, 07:26:35 pm
We should make a hogville pact to shoot the next cougar seen. No matter the consequences (they may be protected?, but it would prove existence). Who's in?

Not cool. Hunting is the reason they aren't supposed to be here.

NuttSu

Quote from: twistitup on February 03, 2009, 07:26:35 pm

If im lucky enough to see one in the wild i can promise you im not going to try and pet it. Hes going down by a 300 weatherby,protected or not.

Verge

Quote from: NuttSu on February 04, 2009, 04:49:27 pm
If im lucky enough to see one in the wild i can promise you im not going to try and pet it. Hes going down by a 300 weatherby,protected or not.

Mature, off a bald eagle or two while your at it... then feed some mocking birds poison. Great representation of an arkansas outdoorsman.

kingoftherapids

I saw a bigger cat when i was fishing about 5 years ago at lake ouachita. i was with my dad, and it was the light brown color with the long tail. it almost blended in with the fall leaves.

NuttSu

Quote from: Verge on February 05, 2009, 09:31:16 am
Mature, off a bald eagle or two while your at it... then feed some mocking birds poison. Great representation of an arkansas outdoorsman.
This shows how much sense you inherited. Comparing a mt. lion to a bald eagle or a song bird? I have never heard of a bald eagle or a mockingbird killing anyone or anything. Mt. lions on the other hand...well...you know.

old hog

Quote from: NuttSu on February 05, 2009, 02:16:49 pm
This shows how much sense you inherited. Comparing a mt. lion to a bald eagle or a song bird? I have never heard of a bald eagle or a mockingbird killing anyone or anything. Mt. lions on the other hand...well...you know.
I may be wrong, but don't believe anyone has been killed by a Mt. Lion in Arkansas, either. Self-defense is one thing, but just to shoot one because.................

twistitup

Quote from: old hog on February 05, 2009, 05:38:54 pm
I may be wrong, but don't believe anyone has been killed by a Mt. Lion in Arkansas, either. Self-defense is one thing, but just to shoot one because.................

If nobody will shoot one and every picture is a hoax...why are we even talking about this topic any longer?

old hog

NuttSu

February 05, 2009, 06:48:29 pm #317 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:50:31 pm by NuttSu
I really dont believe ill ever see one but if i happen to catch one tooling around my lease hes as good as dead.In a way it would be self defense,i wouldnt ever feel comfortable walking in and out to my stand during the dark hours. Anywhere else i would let him be.
   I sure as hell wouldnt want to be #1 on the victim list

Wayne Watson

Do you have to have someone attacked?  If I see one, I'm shooting.  If I catch one in a trap, I'm not gonna release it.  I imagine you're the type who doesn't think coyotes don't live in the city.
We don't rent pigs

old hog

February 05, 2009, 08:22:05 pm #319 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:27:00 pm by old hog
Quote from: wayne1958 on February 05, 2009, 06:59:26 pm
Do you have to have someone attacked?  If I see one, I'm shooting.  If I catch one in a trap, I'm not gonna release it.  I imagine you're the type who doesn't think coyotes don't live in the city.
Not quite, seen too many coyotes in Conway. Nice try, though. I am sure if I had seen that one on Mt. Magazine, and had a gun, damn the laws, I would have shot. It's one thing to go out looking for one just to kill and quite another to get spooked by it or find it on your property and kill it. Surely you can see the difference. I like being on top of the food chain.

TuckerRay

February 05, 2009, 08:40:04 pm #320 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 08:49:37 pm by TuckerRay
Quote from: twistitup on February 05, 2009, 06:02:02 pm
If nobody will shoot one and every picture is a hoax...why are we even talking about this topic any longer?

Not this one,

twistitup

I saw a cougar in texas when I was 17 and fishing ponds around my house. I was casting across the corner of a pond and over the dam came a cougar. He drank water from the pond then looked up and we made eye contact. I was scared S**tless. 

All I had was a rod, reel ,and white spinner bait. What I would of given for a GUN!

He did not attack, I think he was just as surprised to see me as I was to see him. We did find a print in the mud that I showed to anyone who would take a look.

NuttSu

Quote from: old hog on February 05, 2009, 08:22:05 pm
Not quite, seen too many coyotes in Conway. Nice try, though. I am sure if I had seen that one on Mt. Magazine, and had a gun, damn the laws, I would have shot. It's one thing to go out looking for one just to kill and quite another to get spooked by it or find it on your property and kill it. Surely you can see the difference. I like being on top of the food chain.
Who said anything about going out and looking for one? i just said IF i see one on my lease hes going down...big difference.
  Do you really think you would have time to defend yourself from a cougar if he jumped out of a tree on top of you,or jumped you from a pine thicket?. Please tell me your not that dense.

twistitup

old hog

February 05, 2009, 09:16:08 pm #324 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:23:54 pm by old hog
Quote from: NuttSu on February 05, 2009, 09:04:47 pm
Who said anything about going out and looking for one? i just said IF i see one on my lease hes going down...big difference.
  Do you really think you would have time to defend yourself from a cougar if he jumped out of a tree on top of you,or jumped you from a pine thicket?. Please tell me your not that dense.
Then reread what I said. "or find it on your property and kill it".  I definitely will and expect anyone else finding one on their place to do the same. They don't care how many legs their "dinner" walks on.
  And as far as being jumped by one. I hope that never happens. I know that thought ran thru my mind up on Mt Magazine. Not sure what your point is on that one, but you are welcome to your opinion. Just make sure you understand mine, before you "pounce".

NuttSu

Quote from: old hog on February 05, 2009, 09:16:08 pm
Then reread what I said. "or find it on your property and kill it". 
Find it? hell...im not looking for one but if it " appears " i will kill it. See the difference?
You have to be "looking" to "find"....im not looking.

NuttSu

Quote from: old hog on February 05, 2009, 09:16:08 pm
  Then reread what I said. "or find it on your property and kill it".  I definitely will and expect anyone else finding one on their place to do the same. They don't care how many legs their "dinner" walks on.
  And as far as being jumped by one. I hope that never happens. I know that thought ran thru my mind up on Mt Magazine. Not sure what your point is on that one, but you are welcome to your opinion. Just make sure you understand mine, before you "pounce".
Im not trying to "pounce"... forgive me if it seems that way. You said you understood if it was self defense..thats what my point was about getting jumped.

old hog

Quote from: NuttSu on February 05, 2009, 09:19:48 pm
Find it? hell...im not looking for one but if it " appears " i will kill it. See the difference?
You have to be "looking" to "find"....im not looking.
Be sure to take a picture of it. Bet it won't be black.

NuttSu

Quote from: old hog on February 05, 2009, 09:29:37 pm
lol...now your going to make twist go nuts.

RedRiverHog

Quote from: wayne1958 on February 05, 2009, 06:59:26 pm

Where are you trapping at?
Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

old hog

Quote from: TuckerRay on February 05, 2009, 09:29:24 pm
Yes
No. The cat was killed in Northern Arizona in 2007. Go to Snopes.com and look for yourself. Same picture.
Now, I am not always a big fan of Snopes. Their stuff about computer viruses is just BS. But this one I have seen elsewhere on the internet. A hoax.

old hog

Sure would hate for something like that hunting me, though. Look at the paws.

TuckerRay

Quote from: old hog on February 05, 2009, 09:49:59 pm
No. The cat was killed in Northern Arizona in 2007. Go to Snopes.com and look for yourself. Same picture.
Now, I am not always a big fan of Snopes. Their stuff about computer viruses is just BS. But this one I have seen elsewhere on the internet. A hoax.

I had it sent to me saying it was killed in Arkansas. You sure about that?

twistitup

Quote from: old hog on February 05, 2009, 09:29:37 pm

Nobody would believe if it was. It would get the 'ol hogville 'housecat' treatment.

Doesn't matter if your hunting 20 miles from the nearest house; that cat's not wild, it's just some random feral housecat roaming through the mountains~

HogBreath

Quote from: TuckerRay on February 05, 2009, 08:40:04 pm
Not this one,

Look at his paws Twist, appears to be some mud on them, maybe it's the one that snuck up on ya at the pond that day.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

old hog

February 05, 2009, 10:37:44 pm #336 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:46:44 pm by old hog
Quote from: TuckerRay on February 05, 2009, 10:05:21 pm
I had it sent to me saying it was killed in Arkansas. You sure about that?
No. Only what it says on www.snopes.com, under False Pictures/ Animals and 2/3 way down, a posting of Mountain Lion killed in Arizona. Same picture. Interesting read.
Go there and check it out yourself.

spit

sure wish there was a reference point in that pic.  looks big, but hard to say.  could be a pic of a big bobcat track.  But, i'm not accusing you of lying or having poor perception, so your remarks that its the size of a softball is pretty convincing actually.  thanks for the post.  Only thing is now is to determine if its a pet turned loose in the area... if it is black .... or if it is seriously living in the area and will fornicate with another cat and raise a litter there in the magazine state park.  I hope so, and being a park would expect some sightings.

NuttSu

Whats next. "My dad can beat your dad up"?

JIMMY BOARFFETT

February 06, 2009, 09:13:42 am #339 Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:15:50 am by JIMMY BOARFFETT
Quote from: NuttSu on February 06, 2009, 09:03:44 am
Whats next. "My dad can beat your dad up"?

Nah, it'll go to the "Yo Momma is so fat" stuff first then the "My dad can beat up your dad". 
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Wayne Watson

Stay on topic or be prepared to take a rest.

Thanks.
We don't rent pigs

DoggtownHog

I'll be hiking the BRT in about a month and a half. I will also be cougar hunting at the same time. I will have to stab him to kill him because i don't hike with a gun. I think it would be self defense if I have to kill a cougar with a knife. Where do those cougars livee that know how to cook the cluck? Because I will put my stuff in the tent at nite. Those jokers love to steal.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: DoggtownHog on February 06, 2009, 10:12:01 am
I'll be hiking the BRT in about a month and a half. I will also be cougar hunting at the same time. I will have to stab him to kill him because i don't hike with a gun. I think it would be self defense if I have to kill a cougar with a knife. Where do those cougars livee that know how to cook the cluck? Because I will put my stuff in the tent at nite. Those jokers love to steal.

I suggest you take your light saber.  They're very effective against mountain lions and storm troopers.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

john c

Last spring my mother decided she wanted a lot of tress cleared out between her house and the creek about 200 yards away so she could sit on the back porch and see the bottom field and creek .  Brother-in-law and I had cut down about 30 @ 6-12" trees and went back to the porch for some lunch.  I was looking down towards the creek and saw a big, black cat down by the creek.  Told b-in-law and he saw it, too.  Gauging the cat by the small pines we hadn't yet cut down it was about as tall as a black lab, but trust me it was a panther - tracks proved it.  A cousin who lives further up the creek told me that night that he had seen a couple around his house and that the dogs had run one up a tree.  Now we don't let the little kids go down to the creek by themselves.  Hot Spring County.

TuckerRay

Quote from: old hog on February 05, 2009, 10:37:44 pm
No. Only what it says on www.snopes.com, under False Pictures/ Animals and 2/3 way down, a posting of Mountain Lion killed in Arizona. Same picture. Interesting read.
Go there and check it out yourself.

&^%*^%%% had again

old hog

Quote from: TuckerRay on February 06, 2009, 01:09:11 pm
&^%*^%%% had again
That's ok. I'm still waiting on Ed McMahon to show up at my door. At least he said he was.

old hog

Quote from: john c on February 06, 2009, 11:53:50 am
Last spring my mother decided she wanted a lot of tress cleared out between her house and the creek about 200 yards away so she could sit on the back porch and see the bottom field and creek .  Brother-in-law and I had cut down about 30 @ 6-12" trees and went back to the porch for some lunch.  I was looking down towards the creek and saw a big, black cat down by the creek.  Told b-in-law and he saw it, too.  Gauging the cat by the small pines we hadn't yet cut down it was about as tall as a black lab, but trust me it was a panther - tracks proved it.  A cousin who lives further up the creek told me that night that he had seen a couple around his house and that the dogs had run one up a tree.  Now we don't let the little kids go down to the creek by themselves.  Hot Spring County.

:-X

twistitup

Quote from: john c on February 06, 2009, 11:53:50 am

Listen, I have seen one too ~ but, there is no reason to even mention it on here. We are dealing with some close minded, non believing individuals. They will make you out to be a drug addict, insane, retarded, etc....

Even though there is no reason for a grown man to lie on a message board, many here think that is what is going on...

cypert2

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 06, 2009, 10:14:03 am

I suggest you take your light saber.  They're very effective against mountain lions and storm troopers.
And don't forget your tinfoil hat. They totally discombobulate black panthers and bigfoot.                 
Swinging on the two and the four.

old hog

Have not gone thru all the posts, on this topic, but was just curious, aren't Florida Panthers black? Smaller version of the Mt. Lion and South American Panther.