Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Monday (8/14/17) recruiting updates ... 5:30 pm edit w/Horton visit news ...

Started by Kevin McPherson, August 14, 2017, 01:33:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin McPherson

* We could hear something today regarding Matthew Horton's visit. They are planning for September, but we could learn the date as soon as today. UPDATE at 5:30 pm: Horton's coach at Shelton State Community College tells me Matthew is planning to visit Fayetteville the weekend of Sept 8-10.

* '18 wing Jordan Phillips is not only taking an OV to Arkansas on Sept 15-17, he'll visit Virginia Tech on Sept. 29. He told me he loves the Hogs' coaches and is very interested. Offers include VaTech, Arizona State, OKSt, TCU, Tulsa, and others.

* '18 PF Reggie Chaney told me his interest level in the Hogs is high (says he's still learning about the program), but he is probably signing late with no teams in the lead as of now.

* '18 PF Amanze Ngumezi, expected to release a Top 5 or Top 10 today, may take a little longer before announcing his favorites.

* Significant Arkansas HS transfers as of now: '19 PF Tim Ceaser from Marion to SW Christian Academy; '20 SG Moses Moody from Parkview to NLR; '20 CG Gerald Doakes from Jacksonville Lighthouse to NLR; and now '20 PG Khalen "KK" Robinson from Episcopal Collegiate to Bryant.

* Got to see Hog freshmen Darious Hall and Khalil Garland this weekend ... they volunteered at the Keys to Life Challenges basketball clinic in Little Rock. They both have added noticeable muscle weight. Quite impressive the transformation already in just a little over 2 months.

Hog Fan from Camden

Thanks you sir, your updates are much appreciated!

Kevin McPherson

More updates ...

* Matthew Horton told me that the Hogs are still at the top of his list, and that he's "excited to come back to visit what most people would say is my second home." He's also got visits set to 3 schools that have offered him: Middle TN State on Sept 1-3, Western Kentucky on Sept 15-17, and Georgetown on Sept 22-24 (tentative). His Hog visit is the weekend of the TCU football game.

* The 4 Wings Elite players -- c/o 2020 Chris Moore, Gerald Doakes, Davonte Davis, and Caleb London -- will now visit the Hogs on the weekend of October 8-10, same as Matthew Horton. Also, I forgot to mention this is my "transfers" news in the OP, but London (6-4 wing) has transferred from Memphis to Conway. The Wings had originally planned to go up to Fayetteville this weekend (Aug 19).

* Kansas State will come to Arkansas this fall to see c/o 2019 Arkansas Hawks Time Ceaser (6-8 PF at SWChristian Academy by way of Marion) and Branton "Bee" McCrary (5-11 combo guard at LRMills).

* 2020 Khalen KK Robinson (5-11 PG at Bryant) is still getting interest from Arkansas and Indiana with Stanford now in the mix.

Kevin McPherson

Brief, but nice "juco review" of '18 Hog recruit Matthew Horton here ... FWIW, the analyst says two years ago a couple of coaches believed Horton would be a future pro ...

https://www.g2sbasketball.com/news/2017/8/11/juco-review

hoofer

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on August 14, 2017, 06:33:40 pm
More updates ...

* Matthew Horton told me that the Hogs are still at the top of his list, and that he's "excited to come back to visit what most people would say is my second home." He's also got visits set to 3 schools that have offered him: Middle TN State on Sept 1-3, Western Kentucky on Sept 15-17, and Georgetown on Sept 22-24 (tentative). His Hog visit is the weekend of the TCU football game.

* The 4 Wings Elite players -- c/o 2020 Chris Moore, Gerald Doakes, Davonte Davis, and Caleb London -- will now visit the Hogs on the weekend of October 8-10, same as Matthew Horton. Also, I forgot to mention this is my "transfers" news in the OP, but London (6-4 wing) has transferred from Memphis to Conway. The Wings had originally planned to go up to Fayetteville this weekend (Aug 19).

Is Bryant the destination for KK? I've recently heard LR Central, which would seem odd and a really bad move IMO.
* Kansas State will come to Arkansas this fall to see c/o 2019 Arkansas Hawks Time Ceaser (6-8 PF at SWChristian Academy by way of Marion) and Branton "Bee" McCrary (5-11 combo guard at LRMills).

* 2020 Khalen KK Robinson (5-11 PG at Bryant) is still getting interest from Arkansas and Indiana with Stanford now in the mix.

hoofer

Is Bryant the destination for KK? I've heard he may be going to LR Central? Which i think would be a mistake.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: hoofer on August 14, 2017, 10:59:17 pm
Is Bryant the destination for KK? I've heard he may be going to LR Central? Which i think would be a mistake.

He's at Bryant.

Pigsfeat

"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

Youngsta71701

I see North Little Rock continues to get em...Is there a rivalry between Parkview and NLR? If not now it has to be brewing.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Razorhogger

Why have we not offered Horton?  Are there other guys that we are after that we want more?  I don't see any other 6'10 athletic guys that we are after for that class.

Kevin McPherson

Quote from: Razorhogger on August 15, 2017, 11:14:01 am
Why have we not offered Horton?  Are there other guys that we are after that we want more?  I don't see any other 6'10 athletic guys that we are after for that class.

Arkansas could offer him before he visits (planned for Sept 8-10), or may wait to do it face-to-face. He's finishing summer courses, so I'm sure Arkansas is monitoring academics as they touch base with Matthew (daily) and his coach (at least once a week). Arkansas likes him, and he likes Arkansas.

Arkansas does not rush into making offers. Each recruiting situation is different based on multiple factors, so keep that in mind when trying to understand why player A has an offer and player B does not. Timing matters, but not necessarily in being the first or among the first to offer. Things change rapidly in recruiting, too.

Hogs have at least one offer out right now that is not public, but there are reasons for these things and we'll see soon enough how things shake out in the early period.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on August 15, 2017, 08:32:10 am
I see North Little Rock continues to get em...Is there a rivalry between Parkview and NLR? If not now it has to be brewing.

Was wondering about this myself.  Why transfer from Parkview to NLR?  Also, how do we think it will effect their chances of ending up at the U of A, if any?

JayHog

NLR high school is certainly no friend to the Razorbacks. We've lost two high profile recruits from there recently (KJ Hill and KeVaughn Allen).
It makes me nervous seeing those two guys transfer to NLR.

orgkeith

Parkview plays seniors and juniors first and they have plenty of them.  Kids will play more at NLR.

Swinesong1

Quote from: orgkeith on August 15, 2017, 03:28:19 pm
Parkview plays seniors and juniors first and they have plenty of them.  Kids will play more at NLR.
And NLR pays more.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: JayHog on August 15, 2017, 02:17:19 pm
NLR high school is certainly no friend to the Razorbacks. We've lost two high profile recruits from there recently (KJ Hill and KeVaughn Allen).

Altee Tenpenny

The Hogfather

Quote from: JayHog on August 15, 2017, 02:17:19 pm

Was kind of my thinking, but I'm not familiar enough to know if that is still the case or if those were just high profile aberations. 

Razorhogger

Quote from: Kevin McPherson on August 15, 2017, 11:32:50 am
Arkansas could offer him before he visits (planned for Sept 8-10), or may wait to do it face-to-face. He's finishing summer courses, so I'm sure Arkansas is monitoring academics as they touch base with Matthew (daily) and his coach (at least once a week). Arkansas likes him, and he likes Arkansas.

Arkansas does not rush into making offers. Each recruiting situation is different based on multiple factors, so keep that in mind when trying to understand why player A has an offer and player B does not. Timing matters, but not necessarily in being the first or among the first to offer. Things change rapidly in recruiting, too.

Hogs have at least one offer out right now that is not public, but there are reasons for these things and we'll see soon enough how things shake out in the early period.

Thanks Kevin!  You do great work and I appreciate all of the info.