Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keys to beating Kentucky

Started by HossHog, January 03, 2017, 11:12:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

We are going to have to play with focus and a great deal of intensity. Movement without the ball on offense and no ball stoppage will be crucial. Moses will have to play big inside. Need 10 solid minutes from Trey to spell Moses. Barford needs to get 4 or 5 assists vs only 1 turnover. Macon needs to be Macon. Must figure out how to hide Hannahs on defense. Hannahs needs to be explosive on offense. Hogs need to get to the free throw line often and convert 90% or better. Moses needs to not switch on middle screens. Stay aware of where Monk is on the floor whenever KY is on offense. Thomas needs to avoid the headscratcher of a play that he ends up making every game and he and Cook must give us some solid defense plus 16 pts and 8 rebs combined. Beard and Watkins will have to be tough in the interior passing lanes and come up with some 50/50 balls. Team needs to get back on defense and cut down on KY transition baskets. Play strong with the ball and don't give the ball away with soft passes that get picked off. Be physical down low and own your own space. CMA must win the X and O battles during timeouts when we have possession by making sure everyone knows Macon is getting the ball.

Finally, make sure someone brings the moneybags to buy off the refs. If all of that happens I say, Hogs in double overtime by 1.

bvillepig

Need to shoot 70% from the field and 85% from the line.  I hope we stay within 20. Mike however used to be a thorn in  Cals side so who knows.

Not expecting much Saturday but thinking we go on a run after that.

toxichog

Mike Anderson, for whatever reason has a great record head to head against Calipari........gong back to UAB and Missouri and when Cal was at Memphis. 
However.......we do not match up well this year AT ALL............if you try to speed this Kentucky team up and make them uncomfortable............that IS their strength.  We will have to shoot lights out and get to the free throw line a lot to keep it within 20.

LR_Matt

I'll be at Rupp to find out how it goes....

alohawg

I'm thinking this will be one to forget. So maybe the key is a short memory.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

MountieDawg

Quote from: toxichog on January 05, 2017, 10:51:26 pm
Mike Anderson, for whatever reason has a great record head to head against Calipari........gong back to UAB and Missouri and when Cal was at Memphis. 
However.......we do not match up well this year AT ALL............if you try to speed this Kentucky team up and make them uncomfortable............that IS their strength.  We will have to shoot lights out and get to the free throw line a lot to keep it within 20.

Define great?  Less than .500 is great?  I might say MA has done better than some other coaches vs Cal.. But if less than .500 is great, then last season 16-16 should put him in the Hall of Fame.
SEC!

HoopS

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 06, 2017, 04:13:21 pm
Define great?  Less than .500 is great?  I might say MA has done better than some other coaches vs Cal.. But if less than .500 is great, then last season 16-16 should put him in the Hall of Fame.
great, left alone, then I agree. "Great against Cal" isn't exactly the same. Against Cal being the important part. I'd like to see records against him. 3-4 may indeed be considered great against him if there aren't others better

Biggus Piggus

I laid out some ways Kentucky can be stopped, but really, I'm just praying for a mild buttkicking. This is not a good matchup for Arkansas. The Hogs are really a lesser version of UK this season. Similar overall philosophy but less skilled and much slower. Unlike some other recent times we've played, Kentucky isn't going to overpower us. Their guards are ridiculously fast/quick/long. They get so much from the three guards, their bigs are more like role players.

Backcourt defense is way down the list of things the Razorbacks do well. If this game is close at all, I'll be in awe of MA's preparation and strategy.
[CENSORED]!

UKChamps

We are definitely weak down low.  At least you guys won't have to see WCS this year:

https://gfycat.com/SimpleKeenBronco

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: UKChamps on January 06, 2017, 05:37:00 pm
We are definitely weak down low.  At least you guys won't have to see WCS this year:

https://gfycat.com/SimpleKeenBronco
That was actually a foul. I remember the replay and it showed WCS getting a bit of Harris's wrist.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

T.V. Caplinger

Kentucky favored 16.5, 16.5 point dogs have won 5% of the time. So you're saying there's a chance :razorback:

root_hawg

Eh even if we lose, don't play another ranked team again till the tourney if we draw Fla or KY again...

Kevin

Recruit players who don't care about college just getting to the nba
Set up curriculum of online classes, who needs to attend an actual classroom
Let them leave campus as soon as season is over, to train for draft.

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

FaytownHog

Key 1: Find a time machine
Key 2: Go back in time and convince Malik to become a Hog
Key 3: When that doesn't work, drink heavily and forget saturday ever happens.

root_hawg

Leave floor after warm-ups, run out of back of arena and get on bus, drive away and when a safe way from stadium.... blow it up...then they have to forfeit

Letsroll1200

Looking forward to the game tomorrow. It's going to take a team effort and a big game on defense by Moses Kingsley. It's going to be a close game.

grayhawg

Feed the entire Kentucky team massive dose of ex-lax for breakfast.

BadHog

Quote from: redleg on January 04, 2017, 08:51:17 am
Key #1. Hire Jeff Gillooly to whack Malik Monk in the leg with a lead pipe as he comes onto the court.
Key #2. Hire a drug dealer to drug Callipari in pre-game warm ups.
Key #3. Get Jerry Jones to pay off the refs to favor the Hogs...heavily.
Key #4. Put Dan Skipper on the team, and tell him he has 5 fouls to waste, and no one, I mean NO ONE, drives the lane without getting their head ripped off.
Key #5. Keep Gillooly, the drug dealer, Jones, and Skipper on speed dial in case the Hogs meet UK in the SEC Tournament.
;D
:razorback:

I like #4 - seriously
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

FineAsSwine

Quote from: root_hawg on January 06, 2017, 10:00:48 pm
Leave floor after warm-ups, run out of back of arena and get on bus, drive away and when a safe way from stadium.... blow it up...then they have to forfeit

You need a better plan. If the arena blows up after they inexplicably decide to leave, they are going to be the chief suspects.

HawgHeadCheese

Watched Kentucky play Ole Miss and I did realize some weaknesses. Ole Miss guards had many opportunities to get into the lane due to Kentucky playing lazy perimeter defense, but missed some contested lay ups. Kentucky's bench doen't have a proven playmaker and isn't very athletic. I think this game will be a lot more interesting t.. han people think if Arkansas does these 5 things.

1. Get Bam into Foul trouble
2. Make 10+ 3pt shots.
3. Win the turnover battle.
4. Outscore their bench by 25 points.
5. Get the majority of the 50/50 balls 

lynbug

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 05, 2017, 12:29:43 pm
It's starting to almost feel like he was never a Hog.
Obviously, he wasn't.....or things would have gone down differently.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: lynbug on January 07, 2017, 11:22:59 am
Obviously, he wasn't.....or things would have gone down differently.

Hold on Captain Obvious, my response was to the post talking about Marcus sitting up in the stands at Rupp wearing KY blue.

HawgnCorona

Put the clamps on their guards...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

cosmodrum

The only way we beat them is if their entire team gets H1N1.
Go away, batin'