Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keys to beating Kentucky

Started by HossHog, January 03, 2017, 11:12:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HossHog

I believe the keys are to get to the rim as much as possible and get Adebayo in foul trouble. Also attack Malik Monk as he is from what I have seen their worst defender and encourage Fox and Briscoe to shoot. However all of this is easier said then done because I'm sure the calls will not do our way. I would love to here yalls thoughts.

upperdeck_hawg

put something in their team dinner that will give them all food poisoning
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

daprospecta

We can't press Kentucky. Kentucky reminds me of our team a lot. They are great on the break but the half court offense can get sluggish. If we have a game where we don't have any big droughts and make them play half court offense, we have a shot. It may be a long shot but it's a shot.

HognitiveDissonance

Kentucky is the better team, I just hope Monk doesn't go off.
But he got 47 on UNC, you don't think he might be a little pumped for this game? He wouldn't be human if he wasn't thinking about this one being a little different.
I wouldn't mind a loss, but seeing him light us up might make me nauseated.

RaisinHog

Maybe monk really is a big fan and Marcus is the reason he left and he helps us out .. I think that's our best shot

King Kong

Key is not to let UK beat us more than once.

After we lose flush out this game and go on a winning streak

hawgXi

Quote from: HossHog on January 03, 2017, 11:12:00 pm
I believe the keys are to get to the rim as much as possible and get Adebayo in foul trouble. Also attack Malik Monk as he is from what I have seen their worst defender and encourage Fox and Briscoe to shoot. However all of this is easier said then done because I'm sure the calls will not do our way. I would love to here yalls thoughts.

AKA: coRUPPt Arena:  "home of the mystery call"

bosshog84

Quote from: King Kong on January 04, 2017, 08:27:32 am
Key is not to let UK beat us more than once.

After we lose flush out this game and go on a winning streak

Home games against Miss St and Missouri should help. The road game against A&M looks a lot more winnable now too.

Biggus Piggus

Kentucky has lost to two of the best teams in the country.

UCLA battled the Cats almost even from inside + at the line. Outscored 'em from 3-point range.

Louisville played a game that looked a lot like what Arkansas has been trying to do lately.

That is:

Be obsessed with working the ball inside.

Take only the best perimeter shots.

Control the boards on defense.

Get some opportune offensive rebounds.

Don't let turnover margin or rebounding be a big negative.

Keep the game close, which limits Cal's player rotations.

The Cardinals modestly outscored the Cats inside and out, which is crucial, because UK's going to be given a lot of chances at the line.

Fouling should focus on Adebayo and Fox, the two worst FT shooters. Especially Adebayo.

In this game, I'd say Arkansas's focus should be, Number One with a bullet, on ensuring that Monk, Briscoe and Fox get off to a slow start shooting the ball. Make them shoot over our best defensive guards. Don't give them any early open shots.

Get the game started that way, so they won't already be on hot streaks during the critical middle section of the game.

Last night against aTm, here's how UK began:

-Gabriel missed shot
-Fox turnover
Briscoe 3-pointer
Adebayo dunk
Fox dunk
Monk 3-pointer
Monk 3-pointer
Monk dunk
-Monk missed shot
Gabriel 3-pointer
-Briscoe missed layup
Fox 2-2 free throws

By then the score was 20-5. That's Kentucky's formula -- either treys or dunks. They try to take nothing but easy shots. They don't make their living throwing up contested threes or midrange, high-difficulty stuff.

The other side of that was that UK did this to the Aggies' scoring efforts:

Gilder 3-pointer
-Miller turnover
-Gilder missed shot / shot clock turnover
-Hogg turnover
-Davis turnover
-Davis turnover
-Hogg turnover
-Hampton missed shot, Davis rebound and missed shot
Davis layup
-Gilder missed shot
-Trocha-Morelos missed layup

Texas A&M's ballhandling was terrible in this opening sequence, the first five-plus minutes of the game. Shooting was not good, but the Ags were going to the end of the shot clock on every possession, when they were not turning it over.

The Aggies finished with 25 turnovers -- 7 apiece by bigs Hogg and Davis.

In a game where aTm was way behind almost the whole way, the Aggies took only 13 3-point shots (making 6). They have three good shooters (Hampton, Hogg, Gilder), who made 4-8. They needed a lot more shots but couldn't get the chance.

If you saw any of this game, you know Texas A&M tried to play three bigs against a three-guard lineup and didn't gain any advantage -- not inside, not rebounding, not drawing fouls -- while gushing turnovers.

This matchup is interesting for Arkansas:

* UK plays three guards like the Hogs do.
* Adebayo vs. Kingsley is an interesting matchup.
* UK does not get a lot out of the four position, where Arkansas uses role players.

Last night's game was not necessarily a good sign for Arkansas's backcourt defense (Hubbs and Mostella combined for 37 points). This team has been vulnerable to great individual scorers, and Kentucky has a couple of those.

Nevertheless, Louisville drew the roadmap.
[CENSORED]!

AugustaHog

Quote from: daprospecta on January 04, 2017, 12:07:04 am
We can't press Kentucky. Kentucky reminds me of our team a lot. They are great on the break but the half court offense can get sluggish. If we have a game where we don't have any big droughts and make them play half court offense, we have a shot. It may be a long shot but it's a shot.
I agree 100% with you.  Unfortunately, you are asking for quite a bit here.  What you want is us to not be us and them to not be them.  We aren't consistent enough at this point to beat a much more talented team, like UK.  We can pull off a win in Thompson-Boling because UT is as erratic as we are.  If we go on even one stretch of 3-4 mins without a basket, we will be buried and UK isn't going to return the favor like UT did.  I'm convinced that MA can have  a really good team if he can ever gain consistency in halfcourt sets, and prevent the every game drought from occurring.  What concerns me is that has been the MO since he has been in charge.  Players have changed, but that aspect has stayed the same.  Offensive talent is ever-present, unlike  a few years ago.  We just have to get in the offense quicker, not get stagnant, and take better shots.  I'm going to watch this one, but realize that it will be a long-shot.  I'm just hopeful, like previous posters, that we don't get blown out or Monk doesn't go berserk.

yraciv

Our best hope is Malik Monk comes out wanting to put on a show against his home state and he goes something like 5/20 from the field.  UK is flat out much better than us, and it will take our A game to beat their C game in Rupp.  We need to drive the paint, get their posts in foul trouble,force Fox to shoot jumpers, and outscore them at the line "our biggest advantage" by 10+ points. If we're hitting our jumpers that may get it done.

redleg

Key #1. Hire Jeff Gillooly to whack Malik Monk in the leg with a lead pipe as he comes onto the court.
Key #2. Hire a drug dealer to drug Callipari in pre-game warm ups.
Key #3. Get Jerry Jones to pay off the refs to favor the Hogs...heavily.
Key #4. Put Dan Skipper on the team, and tell him he has 5 fouls to waste, and no one, I mean NO ONE, drives the lane without getting their head ripped off.
Key #5. Keep Gillooly, the drug dealer, Jones, and Skipper on speed dial in case the Hogs meet UK in the SEC Tournament.
;D
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

cityhog

Our best hope to keep it close is to play Stan Heath ball. Slow it way down, work the ball deep into the shot clock on every possession and get the best shot possible. Do not turn the ball over. May keep it w/in 20 that way.

forrest city joe

Chances are we are not going to beat KY at KY. just way to much talent to overcome. Fox is the guy that is their best player.he may be the best PG Cal has ever had.Monk is good. but Fox is better. and will be a better pro.Hogs have nothing to lose. let it all hang out in this game and play loose.anything can happen on a given night.

Next1_04

Over under on how many times the "Monk Arkansas Connection" is mentioned and discussed? Ill start with 6 times.

jm

I would knock Monk around a little. Just be as physical as possible with him.

JIHawg

The Dem Gaz will have a large picture and spread on the front page of the Sunday sports section on Monk, just like they did Allen.

cityhog

Quote from: Next1_04 on January 04, 2017, 11:38:23 am
Over under on how many times the "Monk Arkansas Connection" is mentioned and discussed? Ill start with 6 times.

You are waaaaay under. Every other time he scores. It will be something along the line of 'Native Arkansan Marcus Monk scores AGAIN'.

cityhog

Quote from: JIHawg on January 04, 2017, 11:40:53 am
The Dem Gaz will have a large picture and spread on the front page of the Sunday sports section on Monk, just like they did Allen.

Can't beat that for helping with recruiting - oh wait....

forrest city joe

Quote from: JIHawg on January 04, 2017, 11:40:53 am
The spreads in the newspaper on any player who leaves the state is a No No. i have said for years that when a player leaves,let them write about them in KY or Alabama or where ever. because i don't want to hear or read about them in the state wide newspaper. i don't give a Damn about Monk anymore.

cityhog

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 04, 2017, 11:46:59 am
The spreads in the newspaper on any player who leaves the state is a No No. i have said for years that when a player leaves,let them write about them in KY or Alabama or where ever. because i don't want to hear or read about them in the state wide newspaper. i don't give a Damn about Monk anymore.
You best not watch on Saturday then, cause it's going to be the Monk show for the broadcasters.

LRHawg

I'd love to watch this game, but I know I will get really angry with the broadcasters. might just listen to our radio broadcast instead.

Rawker

Have the shot glasses ready.  And also be ready to get REEEEEEEEEAAAALY drunk.

XavierZane

Six times by the middle of the first half maybe...  :puke:

Youngsta71701

Hope they are all ruled ineligible because of some kind of recruiting violations.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Play a sagging man 2 man defense and go under all screens forcing them to shoot jump shots except for Monk. Rebound the ball and look ahead to get as many easy buckets as we can. If we can force them to play half court basketball the game might get ugly. Which might give us a chance although still a slight chance. That is the only way. I know we like to play get up & down the court, fast and up-tempo basketball but those boys are on another level when it comes to that. They are way too fast and athletic even for us.

This is one game we may actually have to slow it down to give ourselves a chance to win. If we come out trying to run with them we're going to get smoked but we have to take the easy transition basket if available.

razoredge178

Quote from: cityhog on January 04, 2017, 11:44:05 am
You are waaaaay under. Every other time he scores. It will be something along the line of 'Native Arkansan Marcus Monk scores AGAIN'.

That's what happens when you can't keep an in-state guy.. especially when he's been on your payroll for 3 years already.

The real Hogules

We certainly weren't in Rupp last night and UT was in the double bonus before we were shooting 1 and 1! Part of that was due to us settling for jumpers, rather than attacking the basket, but much like the out of bounds play involving whether or not Macon touched the ball before it went out of bounds that was eventually overturned, due to replay being available in the final two minutes of the game, UT got the benefit of the doubt. That was nothing compared to the home cooking that UK will receive.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: razoredge178 on January 04, 2017, 02:33:20 pm
That's what happens when you can't keep an in-state guy.. especially when he's been on your payroll for 3 years already.
I'm pretty sure he was on his brother's payroll along with the rest of the Kentucky players.

BRHogfan

Guys, don't you remember the team going to Monk's games?  They won't even need game tape, they've been scouting him for years.

SPAL

Quote from: cityhog on January 04, 2017, 11:44:05 am

So at least 20 times.

HoopS

Overplay Fox on the left side - make him go right. Back off and allow him to shoot outside. He will shoot or at least the last time I saw him "ball hog" came to mind. And he's better penetrating than shooting outside.

Monk would draw tight man coverage all night. Beard, Watkins, Macon and Barford all would get time on him with the call being to be physical and making him work. He's good shooting and driving. Gotta hope to frustrate him and make him work.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I go for Roosevelt Wallace on them.  Hack away and make them count.  We are going to get shafted by the refs anyway so might as well make them mean something.  If there is an inadvertent knee to the groin just say oops.  Kentucky may win but let them know they were in street fight whether it's by 2, 20, or 40, keep fighting til the last whistle. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Razorod

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 04, 2017, 04:36:38 pm
I go for Roosevelt Wallace on them.  Hack away and make them count.  We are going to get shafted by the refs anyway so might as well make them mean something.  If there is an inadvertent knee to the groin just say oops.  Kentucky may win but let them know they were in street fight whether it's by 2, 20, or 40, keep fighting til the last whistle. 
Not a bad strategy.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

rude1

Quote from: daprospecta on January 04, 2017, 12:07:04 am
We haven't been able to press anyone, Ky is no exception. But I get what you are saying, we can't get into a track meet with them, they are faster than we are across the board.

10thPlanet

It's basketball, hopefully they'll have a cold night. I am not letting go of the rope.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 10thPlanet on January 04, 2017, 10:10:23 pm
It's basketball, hopefully they'll have a cold night. I am not letting go of the rope.
S**t happens...

cityhog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 04, 2017, 04:36:38 pm

Careful. Ole Ashley Judd might get her thong in a twist again about how 'mean' we are.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: cityhog on January 05, 2017, 10:15:23 am
Careful. Ole Ashley Judd might get her thong in a twist again about how 'mean' we are.

My KY hate is so strong that my wife has picked up on the nuances and layers of it. I have noticed that she has begun pointing out movies that Ashley Juggs has even a bit part in just so she can hear me go on a mini rant. I oblige her of course. haha.

hogsmash12

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsmash12 on January 05, 2017, 11:28:45 am
WE NEEDS TO GET US SOME MEN

Ummm.... Yes! I would love to have some mean bangers down low.

3kgthog

How many times will Marcus be shown in the stands wearing his Kentucky gear?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 05, 2017, 12:20:51 pm
How many times will Marcus be shown in the stands wearing his Kentucky gear?

It's starting to almost feel like he was never a Hog.

poloprince

39-40 from the free throw line is the only way  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

HogsonHicks

If we try to run with them, we'll play at 90 mph, but unfortunately they can play at 110 mph. We need to get back on defense and make them beat us from the outside, in the half court, as much as possible. They out-athlete us at almost every position.

Let's hope Monk tries to show out and drops one of his 6 for 20 shooting nights.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 05, 2017, 12:29:43 pm
It's starting to almost feel like he was never a Hog.

He wasn't! Don't remember him...
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Hog-Corleone

Shoot 25 of 28 on threes, and 10 of 11 on twos, and don't miss any free throws...  that should do it...

Then have someone find Marcus Monk and slap the stuff out of him, just because.  (yes, Marcus, not Malik)
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

Hogeye_Pierce

Keys have been stolt. Bus is on the way across country. No way we even stay close on Saturday. If we lose by less than 15 it will be a miracle.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

phadedhawg

I have no expectations of the outcome.  I think it could get a bit bloody. 

Hopefully someone on our team puts Monk on the free throw via many hard body checks.  A little bit of punishment would be a good message to send.