Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC refs are horrible.

Started by davehog, January 03, 2017, 07:19:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

davehog

It seems the refs are trying to help TN win this game.

Cavtastic Voyage

It's freaking ridiculous. This is one of the most blatant examples of home team getting the calls. It's the only thing keeping them in the game. It's making it difficult to watch.

LR_Matt

Always with the refs.... been hearing that since 78.

98hogs

THe last TN 3 pointer the guy flat out walked

hobhog

All refs in general seem to tighten up late, looking to blow whistle.

Hawgey-Davidson

Quote from: LR_Matt on January 03, 2017, 07:46:10 pm
Always with the refs.... been hearing that since 78.
You watch the game? Refs did everything to try and give Vols the game. Blatant as hell!

pigroots

Quote from: 98hogs on January 03, 2017, 07:48:17 pm
Yes that was an easy call...Cannot believe they failed to call that. Three blind mice

The Boar War

It was clear they were calling fouls around the basket and weren't watching the perimeter.  We kept shooting outside shots and mid range jumpers.

Danny J

First half was virtually even not so much in the second.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The Boar War on January 03, 2017, 07:55:48 pm
It was clear they were calling fouls around the basket and weren't watching the perimeter.  We kept shooting outside shots and mid range jumpers.
That's bull crap.these refs were flat out trying to hand TN the game,and the Hogs still won.i am so proud of this team.

HOGINTENNESSEE

I agree. I am glad for that blown call that put Barford on the line

YtownHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 03, 2017, 08:02:24 pm
I agree. I am glad for that blown call that put Barford on the line

Not a blown call.  I slowed it and watched it again.  Dude smoked him right upside the head.  My dad argued with me until I showed him that. 

TebowHater

The fifth foul on Thomas and the Macon phantom foul were the worst of the worst. Macon didn't touch the guy and DT just stood there

hogsanity

All officials organizations need new guys. Why don't you guys go get certified and put in 15 or 20 years and then maybe you can call some sec games and show us how its done.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: TebowHater on January 03, 2017, 08:07:51 pm
The fifth foul on Thomas and the Macon phantom foul were the worst of the worst. Macon didn't touch the guy and DT just stood there

This!! My exact thoughts!! Those two calls were horrific!!

cableguy

It look like Burford got hit on the head to me. The charging call on Macon when he dished off was a horrible call too. I believe if MA rides the refs they don't call ball out on Macon at the end of game. Good thing it was last 2 minutes of the game.

hoghearted

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on January 03, 2017, 07:49:50 pm
You watch the game? Refs did everything to try and give Vols the game. Blatant as hell!
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Dropkick

Basketball official = lowest form of human life........

High school refs are the worst. Most  doing it strictly for the money. They may need to be drug tested.

hogsanity

Quote from: Dropkick on January 03, 2017, 08:16:30 pm
Basketball official = lowest form of human life........

High school refs are the worst. Most  doing it strictly for the money. They may need to be drug tested.

Try having sports leagues without them.

You do know hs refs get maybe 45 a games. That's not that much money for the time including travel and being there 30 mins before game time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dropkick

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2017, 08:23:28 pm

You do know hs refs get maybe 45 a games. That's not that much money for the time including travel and being there 30 mins before game time.
So if they are getting $45 a game is that $135 a night when they "try" to call a 7th grade, Jr high and Sr high game?

Just to be clear, I am in NEA and it is terrible here.  Maybe it isn't that bad where you are.

RzRbAcK18

When you have to go to the replay to see who was fouled, twice, then you know you are just blowing your whistle. They were bad but not the worst I have seen, about what I expect on the road. Some were legit, Thomas likes to push and we are terrible at rebounding which leads to fouls. Hard to complain when we win the game. WPS!

PORKULATOR

I mean, no such thing as SEC OFFICIALS, but regional officials suck sometimes. And sucked hard tonight.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

SPAL

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2017, 08:23:28 pm

They get paid much more than that.

Dropkick

Lowdown

Not sure about Arkansas, but in Dallas, refs get $70 plus $15 travel for a varsity contest. We don't do middle school\varsity combos. We may do a JV\Varsity combo, but not always. Most varsity refs are trying to get picked up by college assignors and not doing it for the money. Guys doing High School and above are serious about the craft. Hopefully the crew is consistent and not missing blatant fouls. Make no mistake, fouls will be missed from time to time.

Doubt these guys are calling for any team, they are making about $1200 or more per game and won't risk loosing a gig like that. They are simply human and miss calls. Guys will never understand until they partake in the profession. I once had the same mind set. Its a different world once you start reffing.

hogsanity

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on January 03, 2017, 08:58:54 pm
They get paid much more than that.

Really? According to a school district AD I know he said they get $100 for two varsity games, $135 if they also do a jv game. 75 for 2 jv games.

So, at least in that district, they get paid about $45 per game when it is all averaged together.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2017, 08:37:52 am
Really? According to a school district AD I know he said they get $100 for two varsity games, $135 if they also do a jv game. 75 for 2 jv games.

So, at least in that district, they get paid about $45 per game when it is all averaged together.

If the refs are part of an accredited association then they get more than that. I have made more than that calling junior high.

Biggus Piggus

It is hard for these guys to resist home favoratism. It is an emotional thing, an endorphins thing. The rush of making the big call. It is literally rewarding. Also, it is difficult to endure the brow-beating from some coaches. Some refs become intimidated.

Explanations are simpler - don't require conspiracy theories. Great refs require great training and experience.

Back in SWC days, it was Arkansas vs. all of Texas. Screw jobs on the road were routine.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 04, 2017, 08:47:08 am
It is hard for these guys to resist home favoratism. It is an emotional thing, an endorphins thing. The rush of making the big call. It is literally rewarding. Also, it is difficult to endure the brow-beating from some coaches. Some refs become intimidated.

Explanations are simpler - don't require conspiracy theories. Great refs require great training and experience.

Back in SWC days, it was Arkansas vs. all of Texas. Screw jobs on the road were routine.
Darryl Walker smiled.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 04, 2017, 08:47:08 am

Truth

S.A.D.C

Don't you guys get tired of complaining about the refs?  It is part of basketball.  It isn't like we don't get a little home cooking in BWA either.  It evens out over the season.  And those refs didn't make any game changing/deciding calls.  You want to see egregious check out the ending of the Kansas, K State last night.  Missed a travel at the buzzer that gave Kansas the game. 

AugustaHog

They were bad, but I've seen worse.  I expect some of that on the road.  It just pisses me off when we play a blue blood like UK in BWA (pretty much the only one that we have had in our place in forever) and get jobbed on our homecourt.  In general, the way the game is officiated in today's game is awful.  You can't look at somebody wrong or they blow the whistle.  You have to give guys some leeway to battle for boards and make small contact out on the perimeter.  This is just makes the press the hell out of em style of basketball, dang near impossible to execute successfully.  How long do you thing Beck and McDaniel would've lasted with their style of play in this age of reffing? 

hogsanity

Quote from: S.A.D.C on January 04, 2017, 09:03:17 am
Don't you guys get tired of complaining about the refs?  It is part of basketball.  It isn't like we don't get a little home cooking in BWA either.  It evens out over the season.  And those refs didn't make any game changing/deciding calls.  You want to see egregious check out the ending of the Kansas, K State last night.  Missed a travel at the buzzer that gave Kansas the game. 

there are some here who truly think the Hogs have not lost a game in the last 100 years that it was not the refs fault.

They also fail to look at the type of game the Hogs play as having anything to do with it either. When you trap, reach, slap, you are going to foul. When you give up offensive rebounds, you are going to foul on the put backs. When you trap and give up easy looks/layups you are going to foul. That is just a byproduct.

That KS/KSu game last night was pretty well officiated UNTIL that last play. Guy CLEARLY traveled. It was not a euro step, it was not a jump stop, it was just a plain travel in open court.

hogsanity

Quote from: AugustaHog on January 04, 2017, 09:11:10 am
They were bad, but I've seen worse.  I expect some of that on the road.  It just pisses me off when we play a blue blood like UK in BWA (pretty much the only one that we have had in our place in forever) and get jobbed on our homecourt.  In general, the way the game is officiated in today's game is awful.  You can't look at somebody wrong or they blow the whistle.  You have to give guys some leeway to battle for boards and make small contact out on the perimeter.  This is just makes the press the hell out of em style of basketball, dang near impossible to execute successfully.  How long do you thing Beck and McDaniel would've lasted with their style of play in this age of reffing? 

You do know the refs just call it how they are instructed to call it. Every year the NCAA has points of emphasis they want called. In recent years they have tried to eliminate hand checking, and impeding cutters.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2017, 09:14:07 am
You do know the refs just call it how they are instructed to call it. Every year the NCAA has points of emphasis they want called. In recent years they have tried to eliminate hand checking, and impeding cutters.

Most of the calls I see have nothing to do with points of emphasis. More about rebounds than anything. It really slows the pace of the games. Seems like 3 possessions without a foul is rare these days.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on January 04, 2017, 09:28:13 am
Most of the calls I see have nothing to do with points of emphasis. More about rebounds than anything. It really slows the pace of the games. Seems like 3 possessions without a foul is rare these days.

I have seen several games this year where they have played well past the media timeout ( I think the Hog games went to the 14:34 mark last night ) before a stoppage of play after the set time. What I have noticed though is the 2nd half of games does seem to be much more whistle filled. Some of that may be fouling at the end. Still wish they would go to a rule where you could take 1 FT and the ball back if fouled in the last 2 minutes.

BTW, check your PM

BallHog1

Quote from: 98hogs on January 03, 2017, 07:48:17 pm
This. He catches, spins and takes two steps before shooting.

Dropkick

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2017, 08:37:52 am

$30 per hour is pretty good pay for a job that apparently requires very little skill.

As I said, I go to games in NEA and the quality of officiating is very poor. It may not be that way in your area. I hope it isn't, the kids that work their tails off in practice deserve better than having their games decided by out of shape grumpy old men with a chip on their shoulder.