Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

87 out of 128 fbs teams had 8 or fewer wins

Started by hogsanity, January 03, 2017, 10:33:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

Quote from: KennyForAD on January 04, 2017, 12:48:53 pm
And the doctor who amputated the wrong leg knows more medicine than the guy he butchered.   Sorry, but the, "You don't know as much football as the coach" nonsense is an even lamer thing to say than the whole "We're average, so screw it" thing.
If we are talking about probabilities then you are absolutely right, most doctors know far more about medicine than non-doctors, but even the best doctor can make a mistake or his nurse might get the charts mixed up.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PonderinHog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 04, 2017, 02:05:54 pm
If we are talking about probabilities then you are absolutely right, most doctors know far more about medicine than non-doctors, but even the best doctor can make a mistake or his nurse might get the charts mixed up.
So do you fire the doctor or the nurse?

KennyForAD

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 04, 2017, 02:14:56 pm

Depends on whether the doctor fires the nurse?

AirWarren

It's come to this....hogville had gone medical.

KennyForAD

Quote from: AP85 on January 04, 2017, 02:53:27 pm
It's come to this....hogville had gone medical.

Instant Section 8.  Just waiting for the paperwork to come through..

Youngsta71701

Quote from: defcoach on January 04, 2017, 10:58:24 am
I would beg to differ.  Give Bielema Bama or LSU's players, and I bet we would fare pretty well.  It all comes down to the players we can recruit.  You can say that is the coach's fault, but Arkansas is playing against a stacked deck when it comes to recruiting.

By continually running off coaches, that makes other potential coaches leery of stepping into  the mess that our fans create.  I would bet a large amount of money that Coach Bielema is very well respected amongst his peers.  Just as Les Miles, and Mark Richt, and even Houston Nutt were (all coaches who were fired due to disgruntled fan base.)
This right here will never happen so he is going to have to find a way through player development and scheme.
I'm one of the few that don't believe in running off a coach every 3 years if he don't win 10 games or a conference championship. I am pretty patient. I just want to see good, quality, hard nosed, hustle, competitive, mistake free football more times than not. The wins will come if we do those things more times than we don't.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Pork Twain

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 04, 2017, 02:14:56 pm
I think that would be up to those that investigate the mistake and present the findings.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

LZH

Quote from: defcoach on January 04, 2017, 10:58:24 am
I would beg to differ.  Give Bielema Bama or LSU's players, and I bet we would fare pretty well.  It all comes down to the players we can recruit.  You can say that is the coach's fault, but Arkansas is playing against a stacked deck when it comes to recruiting.

By continually running off coaches, that makes other potential coaches leery of stepping into  the mess that our fans create.  I would bet a large amount of money that Coach Bielema is very well respected amongst his peers.  Just as Les Miles, and Mark Richt, and even Houston Nutt were (all coaches who were fired due to disgruntled fan base.)

What? The fans didn't force Holtz to do ads for Helms. The fans didn't meddle in Hatfield's business to the point that he hauled ass. The fans didn't cause Nutt to make a mess of the Springdale 5 situation or play text/footsie with a reporter, or to totally squander the talent he had his last two years. The fans didn't have anything to do with a tall blonde on the back of Petrino's Harley.

The fans only react to a coaches' performance/conduct. Period.

Pork Twain

Quote from: LZH on January 05, 2017, 05:44:10 am
What? The fans didn't force Holtz to do ads for Helms. The fans didn't meddle in Hatfield's business to the point that he hauled ass. The fans didn't cause Nutt to make a mess of the Springdale 5 situation or play text/footsie with a reporter, or to totally squander the talent he had his last two years. The fans didn't have anything to do with a tall blonde on the back of Petrino's Harley.

Spot on...and outside of the state of Arkansas (or Hogville) most do not know the level of crazy of our fans.  Seriously doubt it will stop a coach from coming here like a meddling AD or one with too quick a trigger would.

defcoach

January 05, 2017, 07:36:22 am #159 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:07:10 am by defcoach
Quote from: LZH on January 05, 2017, 05:44:10 am

That isn't exactly what I meant, although there were plenty of grumblings about Nutt way before the Springdale 5.  What I meant is that there have been lots of coaches that have shown interest in the Head Football (and basketball ) jobs at Arkansas, that have eventually backed away.  IMO, part of the reasons they back away, is they see how difficult recruiting can be at Arkansas, and see the unrealistic expectations by some (very vocal) fans in Arkansas.

Toss out Bielema's record the first year at Arkansas.  For them to win 3, after following the JLS era, and the fallout from Petrino fiasco was a pretty good job.  The next 3 years, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6, while not great, are hardly reasons for us to be screaming for a new coach.   And yes, I realize those losses this year were very ugly losses, and we need to do better.

LZH

Quote from: defcoach on January 05, 2017, 07:36:22 am
That isn't exactly what I meant, although there were plenty of grumblings about Nutt way before the Springdale 5.  What I meant is that there have been lots of coaches that have shown interest in the Head Football (and basketball ) jobs at Arkansas, that have eventually backed away.  IMO, part of the reasons they back away, is they see how difficult recruiting can be at Arkansas, and see the unrealistic expectations by some (very vocal) fans in Arkansas.

Toss out Bielema's record the first year at Arkansas.  For them to win 3, after following the JLS era, and the fallout from Petrino fiasco was a pretty good job.  The next 3 years, 7-6, 8-5, 7-6, while not great, are hardly reasons for us to be screaming for a new coach.   And yes, I realize those losses this year were very ugly losses, and we need to do better.

You have a fair point about recruiting, but when it comes to rabid fanbases with unrealistic expectations, it's not just on the field that we are in the lower 1/3 in the SEC.

defcoach

Quote from: LZH on January 05, 2017, 11:17:54 am
You have a fair point about recruiting, but when it comes to rabid fanbases with unrealistic expectations, it's not just on the field that we are in the lower 1/3 in the SEC.
please elaborate.  Not sure what you are talking about

Pork Twain

January 05, 2017, 01:45:08 pm #162 Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 05:41:53 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: defcoach on January 05, 2017, 01:21:21 pm
please elaborate.  Not sure what you are talking about

Might be talking about facilities, stadium capacity, revenue, recruiting base and recruiting classes.