Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Saban realizes the future and HOW to WIN!!

Started by hawgtime, January 03, 2017, 09:50:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgtime

January 03, 2017, 09:50:30 am Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 08:00:35 am by hawgtime
an excerpt from espn.com...

"As we faced more and more no-huddle, more and more fastball guys and had more and more difficulties ourselves in trying to play those kind of teams, I started saying to myself that if it's more difficult to defend that, why aren't we doing it?" Saban recounted. "Even though, philosophically, if I don't think it's good for the game, good for the players, too many plays, whatever you want to talk about, it's something we needed to do, something we needed to research.

Come on CBB, get it together and help us WIN.

Pork Twain

Saban just showed Kiffin the door because he tried to pass too much and did not pound the ball more.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

donk

He has figured it out.  Recruit better than everyone else.  Pretty simple really.  They could run the wishbone and still win.

hawgtime

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 03, 2017, 09:54:42 am
Saban just showed Kiffin the door because he tried to pass too much and did not pound the ball more.

I would love to have Sarkisian.  He has always had great offensive teams. I get they mix it up and don't just POUND the ball.

Arkansas Fan

No matter what system, you still gotta block, tackle, run, and pass.

NuttinItUp

One thing about great coaches is they are not afraid to change their style of play if it gives them an advantage. They aren't locked into doing one thing.

hogsanity

It is really easy for Bama to do whatever they want offensively when A. Your players are the best athletes on the field and B your defense is the best in football.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pork Twain

January 03, 2017, 10:10:13 am #7 Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 10:21:09 am by Pork Twain
Quote from: hawgtime on January 03, 2017, 09:58:34 am
I would love to have Sarkisian.  He has always had great offensive teams. I get they mix it up and don't just POUND the ball.

I would love for people to stop trying to compare us to top tier teams.  Bama can do pretty much anything it wants to.

I do like how you say, Even Saban...  Like this is the last guy you would expect to make changes to win games.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

cosmodrum

Even Saban knows how to win? Learn something new every day.
Go away, batin'

hog of steele

If I learned one thing from message boards when we hired CBB it is that we cannot out saban saban. So that tells me whatever he is doing, we have to do the opposite. If he is doing this we have to do something else.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hog of steele on January 03, 2017, 10:14:09 am
If I learned one thing from message boards when we hired CBB it is that we cannot out saban saban. So that tells me whatever he is doing, we have to do the opposite. If he is doing this we have to do something else.

You are right but how has that worked out for the rest of the NCAA?

hog of steele

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 03, 2017, 10:17:32 am
You are right but how has that worked out for the rest of the NCAA?

I cannot speak for the rest of the NCAA. Here is what I know about life. You have to do you. CBB cant be BP or GM. He doesn't have it in him. He has to play his philosophy and that will win or lose on his terms. He will be judged for what happens in the next couple years. And since this is his life, he should play his cards his way.

I have seen him adapt to his players and I have seen us change playcalling drastically since he has been here. But I would suggest he should stay in his lane.

colbs

I'm so confused I thought we couldn't out Bama, Bama but now we need to do what he does?   We have the most Bipolar fan base. 

colbs

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 03, 2017, 10:12:00 am
I was starting to wonder if he would ever figure out how to.

Pork Twain

Quote from: hog of steele on January 03, 2017, 10:21:32 am
I cannot speak for the rest of the NCAA. Here is what I know about life. You have to do you. CBB cant be BP or GM. He doesn't have it in him. He has to play his philosophy and that will win or lose on his terms. He will be judged for what happens in the next couple years. And since this is his life, he should play his cards his way.

I have seen him adapt to his players and I have seen us change playcalling drastically since he has been here. But I would suggest he should stay in his lane.
I have no idea what you are saying in response to my question.  How has doing exactly the opposite of Saban or exactly the same as Saban worked for anyone else?  Ever?

hogsanity

Quote from: colbs on January 03, 2017, 10:26:07 am
I'm so confused I thought we couldn't out Bama, Bama but now we need to do what he does?   We have the most Bipolar fan base. 

When out Bama Bama = run play action and pound the ball, we can't do that, but when it means have a rpo based offense with a "running" Qb of course some of our fans think we can do that because that is the type of offense they want.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: cosmodrum on January 03, 2017, 10:12:00 am

I see you are late to the party again, step up your game, or bow out.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: colbs on January 03, 2017, 10:26:07 am
out bama'ing bama was the old bama. he is saying, bama realized that they need to barn more, bama less, because they were having trouble with da barn. so, although we can't out-bama bama, we CAN barn bama. even bama realizes this...

Having said this, Enos is diverse enough. If anything we need to run it better. Passing game is fine. slow tempo is fine (with our trash defense, we'd have set ncaa records for defensive futility if we hadn't been such a slow tempo team) as long as we mix in some hurry-up no huddle AT TIMES, such as after a big first down when the defense is scrambling, winded, pissed off, and perhaps in the wrong formation group. If it's 3rd and 15, you get the first, then run off tackle in the hurry up no huddle, that's smart. that's the kind of thing that was pissing Saban off.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogsanity

The constant with Bama is their D. IT never changes, it is fast and physical every year. Although Clemson will challenge them like few teams have the last several seasons.

Hawghiggs

I like how Saban see a problem and changes it. Not unlike our coach. Who knows there is a problem and won't make the necessary changes.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 03, 2017, 11:00:46 am
I like how Saban see a problem and changes it. Not unlike our coach. Who knows there is a problem and won't make the necessary changes.
1-recruiting & motivation
2-hiring a cohesive staff
3-offensive innovation
4-defensive motivation
5-special teams success
6-game planning/1st half of game
7-in game coaching/halftime adjustments
8-critical thinking and synthesis.
9-crisis management.
10- program promotion.

This is what makes a great coach. Our guy is decent at the last one , at least.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

colbs

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 03, 2017, 10:49:02 am
out bama'ing bama was the old bama. he is saying, bama realized that they need to barn more, bama less, because they were having trouble with da barn. so, although we can't out-bama bama, we CAN barn bama. even bama realizes this...

Having said this, Enos is diverse enough. If anything we need to run it better. Passing game is fine. slow tempo is fine (with our trash defense, we'd have set ncaa records for defensive futility if we hadn't been such a slow tempo team) as long as we mix in some hurry-up no huddle AT TIMES, such as after a big first down when the defense is scrambling, winded, pissed off, and perhaps in the wrong formation group. If it's 3rd and 15, you get the first, then run off tackle in the hurry up no huddle, that's smart. that's the kind of thing that was pissing Saban off.
I'm all good with any type of offense.  I just think it's funny in general how the argument use to be we had to be different than Bama but now it's we have to do what everyone else is.  Honestly the real problem is not offense, it's defense.  Sure the offense needs to be more consistent but until they can stop someone it won't matter what offense they run.

Razorbackers

At the end of the regular season, we had the leading passer and the leading rusher in the SEC.

cosmodrum

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2017, 10:38:08 am
I see you are late to the party again, step up your game, or bow out.

fashionably late, sucka
Go away, batin'

Beaverfever

hawgtime

maybe i should've asked "will CBB adjust and do what it takes to WIN? will that mean a change in philosophy? will it take a change in philosophy to bring in the impact recruits?"

all of those things great coaches will do.  don't get me wrong, i love the CBB and what he expects out of our guys personally and how he has no tolerance for stepping outside of the law.... so now let's make the adjustments and WIN!

PonderinHog

Quote from: colbs on January 03, 2017, 10:27:50 am
I was starting to wonder if he would ever figure out how to.
Baby elephant steps.

Poker_hog

If you think our defense sucks now, just imagine how bad it would be if we tried to run a play every 10 seconds.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

jm

I don't understand the constant talk about the offensive system. It is not the reason we lost any game this year. Defense wins!!! Lack of defense allows people to come back from 24 points down at half time. No one, including Alabama, can give up 40+ points per game and win consistently. If we learn how to hold teams to 21 and still lose then the offense would need more attention, but right now it is the defense that is embarrassing.

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on January 03, 2017, 09:58:43 am
No matter what system, you still gotta block, tackle, run, and pass.
blocking and tackling being the areas great teams succeed in... Bama does two things better than most. Tackle and break tackles.

hog of steele

Quote from: jm on January 04, 2017, 11:33:08 am
I don't understand the constant talk about the offensive system. It is not the reason we lost any game this year. Defense wins!!! Lack of defense allows people to come back from 24 points down at half time. No one, including Alabama, can give up 40+ points per game and win consistently. If we learn how to hold teams to 21 and still lose then the offense would need more attention, but right now it is the defense that is embarrassing.

IDK. 4 TOs in the second half agaisnt VT sure didn't help. 2 inside the 10.

jm

Quote from: hog of steele on January 04, 2017, 11:40:44 am
IDK. 4 TOs in the second half agaisnt VT sure didn't help. 2 inside the 10.

Turnovers sure did not help, but there is no reason to believe that going no huddle would have prevented the turnovers.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 03, 2017, 09:54:42 am

The spread doesn't have to be the hurry up spread pass. Many teams power run from the spread, see Auburn, Miss State, etc.

Alabama can be a spread power run team. The running QB will make them tough to defend. However, I still feel they are best with a strong play action QB. That is just as hard to defend (but harder to find the QB now days).

jgphillips3

Our offense is fine.  Our offensive line is not good, but they will get better and the scheme is as good as any. 

Defense...wait...do we have a defense?

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2017, 11:55:05 am
The spread doesn't have to be the hurry up spread pass. Many teams power run from the spread, see Auburn, Miss State, etc.

Alabama can be a spread power run team. The running QB will make them tough to defend. However, I still feel they are best with a strong play action QB. That is just as hard to defend (but harder to find the QB now days).

Bama can be whatever they want to be on offense as long as they have a defense like they have most years.

They have made the playoff 3 years in a row with 3 different starting qb's, and all 3 had very different skill sets.

Bacons Rebellion

Offensive production is not our problem.

Our problems are defense in general, and maintaining the mental and physical stamina to win the second half.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2017, 10:55:18 am
The constant with Bama is their D. IT never changes, it is fast and physical every year. Although Clemson will challenge them like few teams have the last several seasons.

this is very, VERY true.

and it greases the transition that saban made. and he DID make it. we've seen it.

another poster mentioned that we have diversity with enos; i agree completely with that.

what we DON'T have is a qb that can run a read scheme if we chose to do so.
The rest of the frog.

Pork Twain

Is saying Saban knows how to win like saying Ron Jeremy knows how to get the ladies?

hog of steele

Quote from: jm on January 04, 2017, 11:53:16 am
Turnovers sure did not help, but there is no reason to believe that going no huddle would have prevented the turnovers.

Absolutely. In that game, it probably would have caused more. My point is simply that the defense wasn't the only problem in the losses at VT and Missouri. Our D might have looked a bit better had our offense pitched in something in the second half.

Hogs958

at this point Saban can walk up to any recruit and say "hey wanna play at Alabama?" That's about all it takes. He's built a beast.

ICEman

Quote from: donk on January 03, 2017, 09:58:20 am
He has figured it out.  Recruit better than everyone else.  Pretty simple really.  They could run the wishbone and still win.
It is not necessarily that side of the ball that is creating all of those W's.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."