Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

so glad the committee put tosu in the playoff

Started by hogsanity, January 02, 2017, 07:22:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Would have been horrible to see the actual big10 champ instead, they are so embarrassing.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NuttinItUp

Wouldn't have mattered. Glad we got the two best teams in the national championship.

Bubba's Bruisers

I loathe tOSU more than any other program.  Hated that they made the playoff.  Was really ticked when they made it 2 years ago.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 02, 2017, 07:24:09 pm
Wouldn't have mattered. Glad we got the two best teams in the national championship.

^^^this
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

hoglady

Quote from: Lanny on January 02, 2017, 07:51:11 pm
Good to see Urban lose

With you on that.
I've never liked Ohio St or Urban - so they're a match for me.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Styflin

fieldturf

That's Jeff beloved home state school and he's on the committee, so I wonder?

Hogville is great. Argues that the team that gave up 52 points and lost their bowl game should be in the playoffs.

onebadrubi

Quote from: fieldturf on January 02, 2017, 08:20:11 pm

I love when someone tells on themselves just how stupid they are

Hogist

Quote from: Karma on January 02, 2017, 08:26:52 pm
Hogville is great. Argues that the team that gave up 52 points and lost their bowl game should be in the playoffs.

Over a team that didn't score a single point in their playoff game and didn't win their conference? Quick, get these people some meds....

(notOM)Rebel123

Seriously? Geez. smh

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hogist on January 02, 2017, 08:30:33 pm
Over a team that didn't score a single point in their playoff game and didn't win their conference? Quick, get these people some meds....

So, how do you think PSU would have faired against Bama? Because they would have been the 4th seed.

onebadrubi

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 02, 2017, 08:32:30 pm
So, how do you think PSU would have faired against Bama? Because they would have been the 4th seed.

More interesting game than bama and Washington.

Calling All Hogs

They shouldn't have made the playoffs but seeing Urban shutout was glorious.

Hogist

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 02, 2017, 08:32:30 pm

Guess we'll never know will we. What we do know is that Ohio state didn't belong there.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hogist on January 02, 2017, 08:37:28 pm
Guess we'll never know will we. What we do know is that Ohio state didn't belong there.

Sorry that PSU lost to Pitt. But OSU belonged. They just ran into a buzz saw.
Dang...did USC beat PSU? Oh well.....

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 02, 2017, 08:33:12 pm
More interesting game than bama and Washington.

Now how on earth do you know that?

dallashog83

Hate urban.  Hate osu.  Enjoyed watching them both lose B1G!

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2017, 07:22:08 pm
Would have been horrible to see the actual big10 champ instead, they are so embarrassing.

Clemson would have destroyed them too. No defense.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on January 02, 2017, 08:54:02 pm
Clemson would have destroyed them too. No defense.

Not sure anyone could have beaten Clemson Saturday night.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 02, 2017, 08:55:12 pm
Not sure anyone could have beaten Clemson Saturday night.

They're going to give Saban all he wants.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

onebadrubi

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 02, 2017, 08:44:56 pm
Now how on earth do you know that?

Penn st superior QB, Wr, and RB to Washington. Hana's weakness is the secondary and big hitting offenses, which is exactly what Penn st has.  Can't say I know because it will never happen now, BUT would have been a fun game and washington/bama was not. Oh, I also thought USC was one of the 2 best teams the second half of the season...

FaytownHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2017, 07:22:08 pm
Teams play more than conference games. 2 losses to 1. Not that hard to figure out.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 02, 2017, 08:59:15 pm
Penn st superior QB, Wr, and RB to Washington. Hana's weakness is the secondary and big hitting offenses, which is exactly what Penn st has.  Can't say I know because it will never happen now, BUT would have been a fun game and washington/bama was not. Oh, I also thought USC was one of the 2 best teams the second half of the season...

Okie dokie.

hogsanity

Love how hogville always talks about tosu being one of the overrated teams every year, but then show up to defend their being in the playoff over a team that beat them AND actually won their conference.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2017, 10:47:42 pm
Love how hogville always talks about tosu being one of the overrated teams every year, but then show up to defend their being in the playoff over a team that beat them AND actually won their conference.

You got to look at the 2 losses that PSU suffered vs. the 1 loss that tOSU suffered.

If PSU had not dropped 2, it would have been a drastically different story.

hogsanity

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 02, 2017, 10:49:39 pm
You got to look at the 2 losses that PSU suffered vs. the 1 loss that tOSU suffered.

If PSU had not dropped 2, it would have been a drastically different story.

committee is to pick the best 4 teams. tosu, with the way they played the 1nd half of the season, was not one of the best 4 teams.

Now, I think we still would have gotten baba/clem in the final, which clearly are the best 2 teams, but the semi finals were dud games because of who the committee picked as teams 3 & 4. 7 points total between Wash & tosu.

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2017, 10:47:42 pm

Are you saying you love that not every human being in the world has the exact same opinions as every other human being? Because to me, it sounds like you are making the mistake of attributing every post you read here to the collective. Of course hogville is going to seem hypocritical. It would be like reading a star wars fan make fun of a trekkie, then read a trekkie type something in clingon, but because they both posted in the same forum, it is hypocritical because you didn't distinguish that those were two unique individuals. OR, you are following a specific poster whose name here is somehow hogville, and I completely whiffed.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2017, 10:54:28 pm
committee is to pick the best 4 teams. tosu, with the way they played the 1nd half of the season, was not one of the best 4 teams.

Now, I think we still would have gotten baba/clem in the final, which clearly are the best 2 teams, but the semi finals were dud games because of who the committee picked as teams 3 & 4. 7 points total between Wash & tosu.
I don't like Ohio st and I cannot stand Urban Liar but I do think they were on of the 4 best teams for the 2016 and deserved to be in the playoff.  They beat a good Wisconsin team on the road, a good OU team on the road and good Michigan team at home.  They only lost one game and it was at Penn st.  Penn st lost 2 games.  USC lost 3 games.  It's not who is "hottest" at the end of the year, it's who had the best overall season. Still subjective of course but I thought they picked the correct 4 teams.  Heck UM lost one game on the road on the last play of the game and another game on the road on the last play of the game in OT and they had a good argument to be in the playoff but they lost 2 games so I have no issue with the committee choosing Ohio st over both Penn st and UM. 

go hogues

tOSU brings TV ratings...that's why they were there.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hogsanity

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 02, 2017, 11:19:46 pm
I don't like Ohio st and I cannot stand Urban Liar but I do think they were on of the 4 best teams for the 2016 and deserved to be in the playoff.  They beat a good Wisconsin team on the road, a good OU team on the road and good Michigan team at home.  They only lost one game and it was at Penn st.  Penn st lost 2 games.  USC lost 3 games.  It's not who is "hottest" at the end of the year, it's who had the best overall season. Still subjective of course but I thought they picked the correct 4 teams.  Heck UM lost one game on the road on the last play of the game and another game on the road on the last play of the game in OT and they had a good argument to be in the playoff but they lost 2 games so I have no issue with the committee choosing Ohio st over both Penn st and UM. 

I just think it is funny that the team the committee worked so hard to justify putting them in got crushed, and the team that got left out for tosu to get in played one if, if not the most entertaining bowl game of the entire bowl season.

ChicoHog

I don't think the committee worked hard to justify OSU.  They were ranked 3rd.  UW was 4th so they had to justify them before OSU.  And if you go strictly by resume Clemson might have been the most questionable choice.   I remember Biggus posting this in early December.  Turns out Clemson proved their worth but you just don't know how these games will turn out.  A couple years ago 4th seeded Ohio st beat #1 seed Bama.

The best teams don't always win the bowl games either.   It's whoever plays better that day. 

bennyl08

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2017, 11:26:39 pm
I just think it is funny that the team the committee worked so hard to justify putting them in got crushed, and the team that got left out for tosu to get in played one if, if not the most entertaining bowl game of the entire bowl season.

Don't even know if PSU would have been THE team that got left out for Ohio St. Michigan and Oklahoma had arguments too.

As for entertainment, not sure what that has to do with anything. PSU played a lower ranked team than those in the playoffs and still lost. It was very entertaining for sure. However, entertainment level ≠ talent level. Never claimed that you explicitly said the one meant the other. However, it isn't difficult to interpret your post as at least hinting that because Penn State was in an entertaining game with USC while the buckeyes were soundly defeated by Clemson, that you think PSU v Clem would have been a better game.

Again, not asserting that is what you stated, but if it were, that would be comparing two different things. Being evenly matched with a lesser team has no bearing on ability to have a better game vs a top tier team. It would be akin to saying Arkansas vs Auburn was very entertaining last year with 4 OT's therefore, we would have been a better pick than Mich St to play Alabama in the playoffs.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jvanhorn

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 02, 2017, 07:24:09 pm

I agree, but Oklahoma is a close third.  I sure wouldn't want to play them.  Amazing how they reacted to getting their butts handed to them by Ohio State,
I am sure they would have loved to play Ohio State again in a bowl

FaytownHog

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 03, 2017, 01:26:03 am
I agree, but Oklahoma is a close third.  I sure wouldn't want to play them.  Amazing how they reacted to getting their butts handed to them by Ohio State,
Imagine if that Florida State Michigan game was in the playoff too! Man! Of course, OU wouldn't have been playing Auburn if they were in the playoff.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 03, 2017, 01:26:03 am

If OU played that first half against either Bama or Clemson, and maybe Florida State, USC, and Penn State, they would have been playing from behind in the 2nd half.  Auburn was an ok, 8-win team that backed into a Sugar Bowl because Tennessee can't stand prosperity.

bcdeputy

Don't think he's on the committee anymore

bcdeputy

Playoffs should be 6 teams.. top 2 get a bye

NuttinItUp

Quote from: bcdeputy on January 03, 2017, 08:45:20 am

Yes, JL is on there until February 2018. (so, through the upcoming football season)
He just isn't the chair of the committee anymore. (that position rotates around among current members)

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/selection-committee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff#Selection_committee

HoggieStyle

Quote from: bcdeputy on January 03, 2017, 08:45:20 am

He's still on the committee, just no the chairman anymore.

Also, if Clemson can eliminate their silly mistakes, they'll beat Bama.

Nashville Fan

Like the team format. Who actually give a crap about teams 4-8. They would just water down the first round with no chance to win.
Pittman or Bust!

bennyl08

Quote from: Nashville Fan on January 03, 2017, 12:17:54 pm
Like the team format. Who actually give a crap about teams 4-8. They would just water down the first round with no chance to win.

The reason we care about teams 4-8 is that there are a whole lot of years where teams in that group have just as strong an argument to be one of the top 2 teams in the country as any of the teams in 1-4. That is what a playoff is supposed to do, yeah? Allow ALL the teams who have a legitimate argument to be playing for the actual title a chance to win the playoff. No matter if you have 64 teams, teams 65-70 will complain about being left out of the playoff. That doesn't matter. What matters is if there are teams left out who have a real argument to be one of the final 2 teams.

Dr. Starcs

Dear Lord Benny.

Agree again! This whole "right about stuff" feels pretty good.

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.