Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kiffin let go by Saban... Pushed out? Your call...

Started by BR, January 02, 2017, 11:24:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

BREAKING: Lane Kiffin out as Alabama offensive coordinator. Steve Sarkisian will assume coordinator duties effective immediately.  ALL over Twitter now..   
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

PonderinHog

And not a single couch or mattress has been set on fire in the whole state of Alabama!  lmao

ricepig

hawgon

I don't think he bailed.  I think he got shown the door.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgon on January 02, 2017, 11:28:53 am

Yep, he wasn't involved completely in the process......

PonderinHog

Hogfan46

This.  Nothing happens at Bama without Saban's thumbprint on it.

BR

Nick Saban says the decision to part ways with Lane Kiffin was "mutual."

hobhog

Coordinators at Bama are vastly overrated. You just have to keep things out of the ditches. A grad assistant could probably call the plays in most cases there....

BR

ronmahony

You have to know if you aren't totally dedicated to the game Saban is gonna pull the plug. I think it's a good idea, Kiffin gets a little weird at times.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Pancetta

Built in excuse for Bama fans if they lose in the title game. I think Kiffin is a good play caller. An interesting thing to happen right before a championship game.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BR on January 02, 2017, 11:24:46 am
BREAKING: Lane Kiffin out as Alabama offensive coordinator. Steve Sarkisian will assume coordinator duties effective immediately.  ALL over Twitter now..   
Timing is odd but Saban a Master COACH.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

sickboy

I don't know... Kiffin has been pretty professional this go around. I don't know that this is any indictment on him. I'd just guess  it has a lot to do with Kiffin needing to be at FAU to get his foundations built. And with Sark already on staff... Saban probably agreed.

If anything... I think this might hurt Alabama. Throwing in a new OC for the biggest game of the season and with the entire year on the line.

ricepig

mckinneyhog5

Just think...if Bama loses the title game because of lack of offense, does that take some shine off of Saban?
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

BR

hog.goblin

maybe a great way to get out of paying him a bonus for winning the championship game, you know, as a side benefit to getting rid of his continued love for the passing game since Saban prefers to pound the ball

Hardcore Hoggy

Just a further example of what keeps Saban on top. Going to the title game and fires his OC prior to said game.

Sir Oinksalot

...my best friend is a big Bama booster, and he was so mad at Kiffin because he said they were running the ball up and down the field and Kiffin tries to get cute on and on...

He said they are going to get killed by Clemson...haha,mI said no way, not with that defense.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: ricepig on January 02, 2017, 11:40:27 am

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/815974245540859904
Excellent!!!! This is exactly what we need Alabama doing. Now all we need is for them to start losing games beginning with the NC. If that happens, they will start grumbling in Tuscaloosa.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ronmahony

"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 02, 2017, 11:42:57 am
Just a further example of what keeps Saban on top. Going to the title game and fires his OC prior to said game.
As long as it works out but if it doesn't...

jgphillips3

Their offense was not good in the semi-final.  I'll give Washington some credit but Alabama just didn't look right.  Seemed like Kiffin was mailing it in. 

NuttinItUp

Kiffin splitting time between Bama and his new gig at FAU was probably why the Bama offense wasn't very good against Washington.

RollHogTide

I would imagine it was a very difficult situation for CNS as well as CLK, when a guy is pulled in two directions.  As for me - I wish Coach Kiffin the very best of luck and fortune, he did a fantastic job for Bama and I truly believe that without him - Bama wouldn't have had some of the success they have enjoyed the last few years.

Atlhogfan1

Absolutely

His Peach play calling was horrific.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PorkRinds

At this point I'd say Clemson will win the title. Seems like bama may have some drama brewing and will be unfocused.  Hurts will be rattled without Kiffin and they'll tank the game.

NuttinItUp

They will probably hire Chip Kelly to be an "analyst" now that Sark is the OC.

The cycle just continues there at Bama...

Torqued pork

Nick would probably divorce his wife if she became a distraction.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

The Boar War

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 02, 2017, 12:08:15 pm
Um - no. 

The absolute worst outcome for Arkansas fans would be an Alabama loss in the NC game if you want Saban to leave earlier as opposed to later.  A remotivated Saban would be a (complete) nightmare.

Saban's not going anywhere.  At least he's not changing his decision based on the outcome of a single game.  We already lose to them every year.  We can't have two losses to them in any given season.

Trystran

Got too cute with his play calling. If he would have called run plays for anything instead of the damn QB draws, they would have beat Washington by 50.

lakecityhog

According to what I read Kiffin was late to meetings, missed the bus to events a couple of times and just wasn't completely into the job.

He hasn't grown up at all.

tophawg19

there have been issues between Satan and kiffy since last season. too many egos involved . Their personalties have clashed way to often and got worse after the ''that's a butt chewing '' statement by Satan. Kiffin has been taking a lot of credit for this year in certain circles and it hasn't set well . he was gone at the end of the year no matter what. that was why Sark was brought in .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The Boar War

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 02, 2017, 12:28:44 pm
I wasn't suggesting Saban was going anywhere - rather when (what outcomes) might push him toward retirement.  I don't see Saban coaching anywhere but Alabama for the remainder of his coaching career.

My thinking was if Alabama wins the NC, that would be Saban's sixth and would tie him with Paul William. As much as he has Alabama loaded for the next year or two, it seems likely he would want to stay put and get to the top of that list. 

Not winning his sixth NC is likely to incent Saban to stay even longer in pursuit of that goal.

Makes sense.  I'm ready for the most boring dynasty in college football history to come to an end.

sickboy

Quote from: ricepig on January 02, 2017, 12:38:18 pm
https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status/815981360221487104

I mean... wouldn't that probably be a little because he's the head coach at another program at the same time? I was surprised Nick Saban wanted him to stay around at all. His job security is in Florida right now, not Tuscaloosa.

latrops

Um - no. 

The absolute worst outcome for Arkansas fans would be an Alabama loss in the NC game if you want Saban to leave earlier as opposed to later.  A remotivated Saban would be a (complete) nightmare.

Remotivated?  Seriously?  Dude is the most intense  guy I've ever seen.   He nearly strokes out over missed assignments when he is up 40 in the 4th quarter. 

ricepig

Quote from: sickboy on January 02, 2017, 01:04:45 pm
I mean... wouldn't that probably be a little because he's the head coach at another program at the same time? I was surprised Nick Saban wanted him to stay around at all. His job security is in Florida right now, not Tuscaloosa.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/lane-kiffin-finds-a-new-way-to-show-he-hasnt-grown-up-in-latest-early-exit/

hogcard1964

Quote from: BR on January 02, 2017, 11:32:59 am
Nick Saban says the decision to part ways with Lane Kiffin was "mutual."

Saban: "Get out now!"
Kiffin: "okay"

Mutual

rude1

After watching their offense against Wa., if something didn't change I don't see how they could even stay on the field against Clemson. The Bama offense was simply atrocious in that game. I don't know whether Kiffin was distracted or what, but the offense was clearly out of sink, piling up penalty after penalty.

Bubba's Bruisers

Kiffin is a punk, always has been.  He also couldn't have been focused on Bama anyway with the new job.  And he seemingly doesn't like to run the ball much.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hoggish1

Quote from: hobhog on January 02, 2017, 11:34:21 am
Coordinators at Bama are vastly overrated. You just have to keep things out of the ditches. A grad assistant could probably call the plays in most cases there....

There is no question you are correct.  anybody who believes otherwise just doesn't understand what they are looking at.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Pancetta on January 02, 2017, 11:38:31 am
Built in excuse for Bama fans if they lose in the title game. I think Kiffin is a good play caller. An interesting thing to happen right before a championship game.

Exactly wrong take on it.  Pushing him out the door to that sleepy little program in South Florida insures he doesn't screw up the title game like he did two years ago against THE OSU...

Hoggish1

Quote from: sevenof400 on January 02, 2017, 11:40:28 am
Run the damn ball!

Exactly. People forget he couldn't do it two years ago vs. The OSU...

Hoggish1

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 02, 2017, 11:44:36 am
Excellent!!!! This is exactly what we need Alabama doing. Now all we need is for them to start losing games beginning with the NC. If that happens, they will start grumbling in Tuscaloosa.

LOL

julie

Quote from: sickboy on January 02, 2017, 11:40:27 am
I don't know... Kiffin has been pretty professional this go around. I don't know that this is any indictment on him. I'd just guess  it has a lot to do with Kiffin needing to be at FAU to get his foundations built. And with Sark already on staff... Saban probably agreed.

If anything... I think this might hurt Alabama. Throwing in a new OC for the biggest game of the season and with the entire year on the line.

He "missed the bus 'twice while at the Peach Bowl.  Still not sure what that was about.

Hoggish1

Um - no. 

Nick has 5 NC's and Bear has 6.  Don't count on Saban going anywhere until he gets his 7th.