Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I scared after watching LSU yesterday

Started by 007 License To Squeal, January 01, 2017, 10:32:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

007 License To Squeal

I'm sorry to say that we might have seen the last of the boot for a few years.  LSU's defense throttled CBP and his top-rated talent. 

The Razorbacks will need to develop a lot more speed than what we saw this year. Unless the Hogs can conquer the tangible and intangible demons which haunt the team right now, I see a boot dry spell.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

HOGINTENNESSEE

Louisville wasn't that great. After watching how Houston dominated there Oline, you should have expected LSU who gave up like 15 TDs all year to destroy them. Similar to what they did to Texas Tech last year in there bowl game.

Louisville has a great play caller but their talent especially on the Oline and Dline isn't all that. Especially against LSU.

Aranda should get a HC job soon and things should go back to normal as Coach O is not a great coach. He maybe better than what he showed at Ole Piss. But he isn't good enough to turn them into a dominate force like they were early under Miles and Saban.

lakecityhog

Ed has learned, or appears to have learned, that being a Head Coach is a lot more than he thought while at Ole Miss. He has hired very good people and seems to be letting them do their jobs.

Aranda may indeed get a HC gig, I would just about bet that oegeron will go out and poach another great DC. They will spend the money if they think it might get them over the hump with Bama. And LSU has the talent.

XavierZane

We know LSU, nothing new about them was learned from that game.  Louisville was just that overrated. 

Bubba's Bruisers

All O has to do is field a competent QB and passing game, then lights out.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Nashville Fan

Feels like Ed is LSUs Ron Zook. Load the team with talent and then an Urban Myer type will be hired.
Pittman or Bust!

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 10:58:24 am

I think that is a good assessment.....unfortunately.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

rude1

Agreed. Don't  see them unseating Bama, but it appears Coach O has that program ready to start the climb back towards the top. Too bad for us, with Les there we could always count on winning some against them we shouldn't, but it appears those days are behind us.

hawgon

He has all that talent playing fast.  If he can keep that up, he doesn't have to be a particularly good coach.  Just point them to the field, wind them up, and turn them loose.

hogcard1964

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on January 01, 2017, 10:32:59 am
I'm sorry to say that we might have seen the last of the boot for a few years.  LSU's defense throttled CBP and his top-rated talent. 

The Razorbacks will need to develop a lot more speed than what we saw this year. Unless the Hogs can conquer the tangible and intangible demons which haunt the team right now, I see a boot dry spell.

Essentially it's not going to matter as long as Bielema is the coach.  We're a 6-7 win team. 

luke hawg

Quote from: XavierZane on January 01, 2017, 10:55:01 am
We know LSU, nothing new about them was learned from that game.  Louisville was just that overrated.

Louisville as good but had weaknesses once exposed decent teams exploited them week after week. Our team was no different. Defensively we were stout in the middle but incapable of covering the edge and over the top. Offensively we were incapable of picking up pressure against the run or pass with no big play makers on the outside.

26.2Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 10:58:24 am

I think Matt Canada will put that into place.  O will continue to bring in top talent.  LSU is already very good, and they are about to get even better.

NashvilleHog

LSU has access to more talent in-state than Alabama has. They just cannot get out of their own way at times.  They are a monster with the right staff in place. 

I agree that the wins are going to be tough to come by against them.
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

Hogwild

While I was pulling for LSU to throttle Petrino,  I was disappointed that Guice passed by RWIII for the SEC rushing title

3kgthog

Petrino's best Hog team would beat this UL team by 20+. Congrats to LSU for receiving a bowl matchup in which style greatly favored them.

LSU will be improved. You aren't going to ever see an Ed O Tiger team lay down against us like Les's last couple of teams did. We will struggle against that defense for the foreseeable future. Baz better come up with another trophy cause we aren't getting the Boot back for a long while.

Atlhogfan1

NFL attrition will influence LSU again.  Along w qb it is the biggest reason they haven't competed w Bama for the SEC in recent seasons.  No program had as many early entries. 

Matt Canada as OC should be a concern.  He did a great job at Pitt.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgon

If you go to at least one Pitt message board there was talk of the new OC that would be if huge interest to us.  Just one guy said he had heard it and most seemed to think he was wrong, but it was mentioned.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Hogwild on January 01, 2017, 11:24:43 am
While I was pulling for LSU to throttle Petrino,  I was disappointed that Guice passed by RWIII for the SEC rushing title

RWIII actually finished 3rd. Nick Fitzgerald of MSU passed him, as well.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hoggish1

You lost me with that first sentence.  BP was throttled by KY in their own house, or did you miss that one...?

hawganatic

Petrino is a great coach but he is only a .500 coach in bowl games.  While he was at Arkansas we looked bad against East Carolina, and we didn't show up for the Sugar Bowl  We did look really good against Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl.

As good a coach/play caller as he is, would think his teams would look better in their bowl games than they have.

hoglady

Quote from: hawganatic on January 01, 2017, 01:14:28 pm
Petrino is a great coach but he is only a .500 coach in bowl games.  While he was at Arkansas we looked bad against East Carolina, and we didn't show up for the Sugar Bowl  We did look really good against Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl.

As good a coach/play caller as he is, would think his teams would look better in their bowl games than they have.

Disagree about not showing up for the Sugar Bowl.
We showed up but we lost - it was a hard fought game with both teams fighting to the end.
What we just witnessed in the 2nd half of the Belk Bowl was not showing up.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Dropped passes were common and still are in Petrino bowl games.  The problem in the first half of Sugar Bowl. 

Was not surprised to see Lou ranked 118th in penalties this season either.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hoglady

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 01, 2017, 01:56:35 pm
Dropped passes were common and still are in Petrino bowl games.  The problem in the first half of Sugar Bowl. 

Was not surprised to see Lou ranked 118th in penalties this season either.

Yep - the Joe Adams drop still haunts me when I think about that game.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hogwild on January 01, 2017, 11:24:43 am
Which is ridiculous as bowl games should not count.  That's like saying Pumphrey is the all time NCAA rushing leader.  Ron Dayne had that title before they counted bowl games.  I don't get that.  They separate the post season in all other sports, why not college football? 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hoglady on January 01, 2017, 01:59:24 pm

Yep. Was sitting in endzone w that coming towards me. Can still see it clearly. 

rude1

Quote from: hoglady on January 01, 2017, 01:59:24 pm
Ouch, that's one I would like to forget for sure. First play of the game a dropped sure TD pass.....

hawganatic

Quote from: hoglady on January 01, 2017, 01:54:40 pm
We showed up but we lost - it was a hard fought game with both teams fighting to the end.

We were down 28-10 at halftime and OSU/Pryor was doing whatever they wanted.  Second half we looked like a different team.  First half we didn't look ready for the game at all.

Can't argue about the Belk Bowl 2nd half.  Will never understand how we could look so good in the first half, and show absolutely no fight in the 2nd.

GuvHog

Quote from: hoglady on January 01, 2017, 01:54:40 pm

I totally agree. But for a young freshman's mistake on a blocked punt late in the game, the Hogs would have won the Sugar Bowl.

You're correct about the Belk Bowl too.

Sad to say, but it's been 7 years and the Hogs haven't even sniffed at a bowl close to that magnitude since.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hoglady

Quote from: hawganatic on January 01, 2017, 02:07:10 pm
We were down 28-10 at halftime and OSU/Pryor was doing whatever they wanted.  Second half we looked like a different team.  First half we didn't look ready for the game at all.

Can't argue about the Belk Bowl 2nd half.  Will never understand how we could look so good in the first half, and show absolutely no fight in the 2nd.

We need to hire Willie to come in and make halftime defensive adjustments.
He was pretty good at that.
As much as everyone complained about his defense - he never fielded one this dysfunctional.

26.2Hog

Quote from: hoglady on January 01, 2017, 02:31:35 pm
As much as everyone complained about his defense - he never fielded one this dysfunctional.

I agree.  Willy caught a lot of undeserved criticism. 

ALLVOL

Quote from: Nashville Fan on January 01, 2017, 11:00:12 am
Feels like Ed is LSUs Ron Zook. Load the team with talent and then an Urban Myer type will be hired.
LSU is always loaded with talent sans a QB.
Hell, even Dinardo had talent but just couldn't coach.

GuvHog

Quote from: hoglady on January 01, 2017, 02:31:35 pm

I agree. people on here use to complain about the defenses during the Petrino years and this one is worse than any of those.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hoglady

I'm concerned after watching most of the SEC teams in their bowl games.
TN, LSU, Ms. St, Georgia won and So. Carolina fought hard before losing in OT.

Arkansas Fan

LSU is going to be very good, especially on defense. Monster talent with a guy like Aranda at DC...bad news for us.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on January 01, 2017, 03:19:03 pm
LSU is going to be very good, especially on defense. Monster talent with a guy like Aranda at DC...bad news for us.

Yep, few want to admit that our recent success against them was largely due to inept QB play.  Like when we beat TX a couple years ago and FL this season.  Playing defense gets real easy when you don't have to account for the opposing QB.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 01, 2017, 11:50:19 am
Petrino's best Hog team would beat this UL team by 20+. Congrats to LSU for receiving a bowl matchup in which style greatly favored them.

LSU will be improved. You aren't going to ever see an Ed O Tiger team lay down against us like Les's last couple of teams did. We will struggle against that defense for the foreseeable future. Baz better come up with another trophy cause we aren't getting the Boot back for a long while.

Beat them by 20? When did the 2010 and 2011 teams start playing defense?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 01, 2017, 03:43:54 pm
Beat them by 20? When did the 2010 and 2011 teams start playing defense?

And we're still asking that question about 2015 and 2016.  We apparently don't like to hire HC's that care about defense.

Iwastherein1969

the day we run in fear from Ed "pepper the gumbo" Orgeron is the day we need to take the shingle down and give up college football
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: 3kgthog on January 01, 2017, 11:50:19 am

Please don't encourage him.

rude1

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 01, 2017, 03:52:06 pm
the day we run in fear from Ed "pepper the gumbo" Orgeron is the day we need to take the shingle down and give up college football
Did you see how our first crack at this guy went?  He sounds funny but I see a motivated guy who has his dream job, doesn't care if he was first choice, has learned from past HC mistakes, and is going to work his tail off to get the most out of this talent. That doesn't bode well for us. We need that other guy that was there eating the grass, we did pretty well against him.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rude1 on January 01, 2017, 05:35:18 pm
Did you see how our first crack at this guy went?  He sounds funny but I see a motivated guy who has his dream job, doesn't care if he was first choice, has learned from past HC mistakes, and is going to work his tail off to get the most out of this talent. That doesn't bode well for us. We need that other guy that was there eating the grass, we did pretty well against him.

....this story sounds vaguely familiar.

HogBreath

Quote from: hawganatic on January 01, 2017, 01:14:28 pm

Are you crazy?  A scoop and score away from winning?  Should have won.  WTH?

Get your facts straight!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

PORKULATOR

wow. Quit much.
I ALWAYS believe we will find a way, we will work hard enough and we will win more than we lose.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

The Great Hambino

Saban already has Les lined up to consult for him next year.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: PORKULATOR on January 01, 2017, 07:02:20 pm
wow. Quit much.
I ALWAYS believe we will find a way, we will work hard enough and we will win more than we lose.

In general or against LSU?

HamSammich

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: HamSammich on January 01, 2017, 07:09:21 pm
I agree... lsu is a solid ass program.

As much or more potential than any program in the country. 

MemphisBossHog

I hate to say it, but when they fired Les, they got rid of our ace in the hole.  Orgeron learned just enough from his time at Ole Miss and then at Southern California that he needs good people around him to do the coaching while he just recruits and closes the deals with 4 and 5 star studs.  I sadly agree with you.  We might not see the boot much for a few years unless something changes up on the hill either coaching wise or recruiting wise.

This is not to say that the Hogs are going to suck for years and years, but LSU is a giant in recruiting but has always been held back by Les Miles's conservative/strange coaching style.  LSU lost to Bama by 10 freakin points in the middle of a turmoil filled season.  They did that with just the talent they have on their roster.  If LSU gets the right assistant coaches in there to utilize the talent that Orgeron and his staff will have falling in their laps, they could seriously contend with Bama year in and year out.  Miles had been their problem for years.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 01, 2017, 03:52:06 pm
hey, not saying to run in fear, but just pointing out that since Miles is gone, it appears that Orgeron is going to come closer to tapping into the full potential of the LSU program than Miles did and its strictly because of his recruiting and willingness to get out of the way of the good assistant coaches they have.

Make no mistake, Orgeron can recruit incredibly well.  He brought talent to Ole Miss the years he was there and that was what Hootie won his games with when he got there.  1969, you know all this better than most on here. 

I was hoping Orgeron would be let go by LSU and it would tick him off so badly that Bielema could swoop in there and offer him $1-$1.5M year as recruiting coordinator and associate head coach.  I would have done that with him OR Charley Strong but both got head coaching jobs.  Orgeron is no coaching genius, but the man can close the deal on big time recruits.  Couple that with the fact that LSU gets studs just because.....well.....they are LSU and you have a machine that could come close to rivaling Bama depending on the assistants they hire. If the assistants aren't up to snuff, then they wont be in Bama's league, but talent wise, they are just about the closest program.  Only other ones might be OSU, Fla State and maybe now Michigan, but LSU can come the closest.

Hogwild

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 01, 2017, 02:01:08 pm
Which is ridiculous as bowl games should not count.  That's like saying Pumphrey is the all time NCAA rushing leader.  Ron Dayne had that title before they counted bowl games.  I don't get that.  They separate the post season in all other sports, why not college football?

What is ridiculous is that now post season games count and there are more of them (with the conference championship & playoff), but the previous bowls aren't retroactively counted.

Read an article a couple years ago about Leonard Fournette.   Fournette hold the freshman rushing record at LSU, but Kevin Faulk in an 11 game regular season had more rushing yards than Fournette is a 12 game season.  However in Fournette's bowl game he surpasses Faulk's freshman total, since Faulk's 240 yards bowl performance (vs Saban) didn't count.