Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sark to be Bama OC

Started by ricepig, December 16, 2016, 05:11:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

RazrRila99

Other than Chow wasnt it Sark who was essentially running the offense in the SCs heyday?  I had a feeling that this was going to happen.  Two years at Bama under Saban, Saint Nick can get the crown of "Coach Rehab" as well. 

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

King Kong

Quote from: RazrRila99 on December 16, 2016, 05:16:15 pm
Other than Chow wasnt it Sark who was essentially running the offense in the SCs heyday?  I had a feeling that this was going to happen.  Two years at Bama under Saban, Saint Nick can get the crown of "Coach Rehab" as well.

Lane Kiffin took over for Chow as OC. Sark was the QB coach and became OC after Kiffin left.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: King Kong on December 16, 2016, 05:31:31 pm
Lane Kiffin took over for Chow as OC. Sark was the QB coach and became OC after Kiffin left.

If I remember correctly in 2004 Chow was still considered the OC but Lane Kiffin was calling the plays

tophawg19

Sark was brought in to get Kiffin out . i think he is going to be an upgrade , like they need one
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogarusa

No surprise, should have been given the fancy "OC in Waiting " title when Bama brought him in.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

cpohog

Quote from: ricepig on December 16, 2016, 05:11:31 pm
I was wrong, I didn't think Saban would go with him.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeSchroeder/status/809896564596572161

My post from Dec 8:

Why do you think Steve Sarkasian was hired by Saban?

Surely Saban knew Kiffin was gone after this season. By having Sarkasian onboard, he does not have to go looking for a new OC.

Smart coach who also happens to work at a football factory.  We keep seeing the differences in Saban and I guess all other coaches.  Always coaching, always tweaking, not scared to fix something the minute he sees the problem even before the very next play during a game.  He sees just about every problem because he is always involved.  I agree, he set up his next OC several weeks ago, likely knowing exactly what would likely happen.  More prepared than the little red hen.

hogcard1964

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 16, 2016, 05:47:35 pm
Sark was brought in to get Kiffin out . i think he is going to be an upgrade , like they need one

It's a great move.

Vantage 8 dude

Totally agree with you on that. Man, I can see it now: the first time Sark "falls off the wagon" (and I bet he will) that will really set well with ole Nick. Watch the fireworks then!!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: sowmonella on December 16, 2016, 05:19:23 pm
Cheers to Bama. 8)
Nice to see Sark caught on camera doing what he does best.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on December 16, 2016, 05:47:35 pm

I don't think it was a matter of getting rid of Kiffin, I think Kiffin wanted to move on from Alabama (too much ego to suffer getting reamed on national television) and thought he should be able to parlay this gig into a bigger job. But everyone remembers that while he has been successful as an OC, not so much as a HC. How he managed to blow the USC opportunity in the Pac 12 is still beyond me.

I think he played his cards and told Nick he planned to leave and Nick said, "fine, I'll just use Sark". There was no turning back, he had cast the die and then when Houston backed out on him, he had nowhere else to go but FAU. It is his own fault, he should have played ball and been patient.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

I already know'd it. Saban already had it in the plans when he brought Sark on board. Makes perfect sense. Keeps everything flowing.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Sivad

Coach Cutty Sark.
Wonder if he'll handle the public dressing downs as well as Kiffin did?

tophawg19

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 16, 2016, 07:12:22 pm
I don't think it was a matter of getting rid of Kiffin, I think Kiffin wanted to move on from Alabama (too much ego to suffer getting reamed on national television) and thought he should be able to parlay this gig into a bigger job. But everyone remembers that while he has been successful as an OC, not so much as a HC. How he managed to blow the USC opportunity in the Pac 12 is still beyond me.

I think he played his cards and told Nick he planned to leave and Nick said, "fine, I'll just use Sark". There was no turning back, he had cast the die and then when Houston backed out on him, he had nowhere else to go but FAU. It is his own fault, he should have played ball and been patient.
Wasn't going to happen . Too much conflict between him and Dick Satan. There have been some serious clashes between the two . A few last year but it has escalated this season.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Jek Tono Porkins

Need to hire a staffer to break into his hotel room the week before he plays us and plant mini liquor bottles in his fridge and get him back on the liquor.

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

husker71

hope he does not fall off the wagon     I was just thinking of Colin Raye singing Little Rock

Letsroll1200

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 16, 2016, 07:01:21 pm
Totally agree with you on that. Man, I can see it now: the first time Sark "falls off the wagon" (and I bet he will) that will really set well with ole Nick. Watch the fireworks then!!

You really think Saban will let him fall off the wagon? Nick has his handlers watching him

Danny J

I remember asking if you were a betting man in a thread where it was brought up but couldn't remember which thread

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on December 16, 2016, 08:32:00 pm
You really think Saban will let him fall off the wagon? Nick has his handlers watching him
Not saying he will or won't. No one does; however, I can PROMISE you that if Sark wants to find a way to drink he will. Unless the "handlers" are living with the guy 24/7 and handling his finances someone who's an alcoholic or bent toward that problem, the possibility/temptation is always there. As I said, I personally hope he's cured and has his demons put behind him.

Hogs958

he's a bit of a loose cannon. We'll see how he does. If he has it together he is a hell of a coach.

NuttinItUp

Hoot72

The thing I remember the most about Sark as the coach at SC, was when he was having a problem with the officials; and he sent someone to bring his AD (Pat Haden) to come and talk to them.  I wonder who he will send for ... when ... Saban starts chewing him out.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: sowmonella on December 16, 2016, 05:19:23 pm
Cheers to Bama. 8)
LOL Nicky's list of potential hires keeps getting nautier than nicer. Fewer want to get chewed out on national TV.

Hog N Bama

We should all send a congratulatory bottle of champagne

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/JoeGoodmanJr/status/817765710470533121

QuoteTAMPA -- Steve Sarkisian says he isn't trying to "reinvent the wheel" on the eve of the College Football Playoff national championship game.

"I don't think I could have foreseen four months ago when I was contemplating doing TV to get into this situation," Sarkisian said, "but I'm very grateful and humbled and honored that Coach Saban and the Alabama Crimson Tide family entrusted me to do the job.

"I don't think I could have foreseen it four months ago, but today and this week it's about doing the job and getting these players who have worked so hard for months and put themselves in this position to play in this game to do the best job that I can do to help them."

Sarkisian was fired from USC in October of 2015 reportedly for reasons related to substance abuse and alcoholism. Kiffin's abrupt departure from Alabama, and Sarkisian's tumultuous backstory set the stage for a media circus on Saturday.
It's rare that Saban is overshadowed at an official media event involving Alabama, but Sarkisian was the focus of the large majority of local, regional and national reporters covering the College Football Playoffs Media Day. Sarkisian handled the media crush with the professionalism of a veteran coach. Asked directly about his recovery from substance abuse, Sarkisian said, "It's going great, and thanks for asking."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net