Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

recipe needed for smoking a ham

Started by VBRazorback, November 15, 2012, 09:43:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

VBRazorback

i don't have any recipes at this time. we are having thanksgiving this weekend with my wife's family and i got talked into smoking a ham this year.

Slacker

Are you smoking a cured ham or a raw ham?

Boarcephus

Quote from: Slacker on November 20, 2012, 09:50:36 am

Glad you're on here.....I'm smoking a Turkey Thursday and thinking about sticking a ham on the egg at the same time.  Do you think it would be a problem doing both at the same time?  Probably will set the temp in the 225 range with a turkey butt plug filled with Mojo Marinade.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Slacker

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 20, 2012, 10:09:48 am
Glad you're on here.....I'm smoking a Turkey Thursday and thinking about sticking a ham on the egg at the same time.  Do you think it would be a problem doing both at the same time?  Probably will set the temp in the 225 range with a turkey butt plug filled with Mojo Marinade.

Don't see why not. Will take a bit longer I would think. I generally cook my hams a bit hotter than the turkey. Turkey at 250. Ham at 300-325. I'm sure you could find a happy medium for them both!

Sounds awesome BTW!

Boarcephus

Quote from: Slacker on November 20, 2012, 12:26:07 pm
Don't see why not. Will take a bit longer I would think. I generally cook my hams a bit hotter than the turkey. Turkey at 250. Ham at 300-325. I'm sure you could find a happy medium for them both!

Sounds awesome BTW!

The ham should already be cooked if I buy one of those spiral cut things so shouldn't it just be warming it up?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

VBRazorback

Quote from: Slacker on November 20, 2012, 09:50:36 am

smoked a cured ham. put a spice rub on the outside and some brown sugar. let it smoke for 5 hours in the 250-300 range. the last hour i coated with honey and let it go. i should have used pineapple juice in a spray bottle to keep it moist and add an extra flavor. the best i found was to use a sugar cured ham.

VBRazorback

i would like to find a raw ham but cant find one in my area.

Boarcephus

Quote from: VBRazorback on November 20, 2012, 03:14:43 pm
i would like to find a raw ham but cant find one in my area.

Richards Meat Market sells them in Fayetteville

Slacker

Quote from: Boarcephus on November 20, 2012, 02:55:30 pm
The ham should already be cooked if I buy one of those spiral cut things so shouldn't it just be warming it up?

My bad. I was assuming raw.

Slacker

Quote from: VBRazorback on November 20, 2012, 03:13:55 pm
smoked a cured ham. put a spice rub on the outside and some brown sugar. let it smoke for 5 hours in the 250-300 range. the last hour i coated with honey and let it go. i should have used pineapple juice in a spray bottle to keep it moist and add an extra flavor. the best i found was to use a sugar cured ham.

Yeah, the sugar has to be turbinado or added at the very end of the smoking. Otherwise it will burn and make the meat bitter.

DOGALUM

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread....but I took a run at deep frying my first turkey this past friday.  I injected with Tony Chachere's creole/butter marinade and rubbed the outside with dry Tony's.  Also had a guy do the Tony's jalepeno and butter inject.  I loved the Tony's as a rub....but was so-so on the inject.  Any suggestions for my Thanksgiving turkey.  (it is a suplemental turkey as we are having 35 people total at the dinner so one baked turkey won't do the trick)

Thanks in advance and again....sorry for hijacking the thread.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Slacker

Honestly, I've never been just overly impressed with any store bought injection. Just use drawn butter and some Tony C's seasoning. Jalapeno Juice from pickled Jalapenos for a little kick.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Slacker on November 20, 2012, 04:43:54 pm
Honestly, I've never been just overly impressed with any store bought injection. Just use drawn butter and some Tony C's seasoning. Jalapeno Juice from pickled Jalapenos for a little kick.
It seemed a little stale......and certainly smelled stale when I opened the bottle.   Homemade is usually the way to go.  I will do it that way.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DeltaBoy

Juice that ham up and get some apple or pecan wood for smoke and you'll be set.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Buff

Quote from: Slacker on November 20, 2012, 04:43:54 pm

Done exactly this before, worked great. 

On to a ham, I might wanna try a raw one too if I can find one.  Anyone got any tips for preparing and cooking that thing?  Mainly the preparing part, the smoker does the cooking.  Preferably over pecan wood since I'm planning on doing a turkey breast for Christmas too.

Who's tried the maple bourbon recipe posted above?

DeltaBoy

Dad uses Apple juice and Brown sugar injection mix he makes and then rubs the outside with pork grease and covers with black pepper.  Smokes it to the internal temp is 180 -205 and then off it comes and wrapped in a towel and placed on the table to cool!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.