Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 MLB Draft Thread

Started by ucahogfan, May 24, 2017, 09:20:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurhawgerelli

Something that seems to not be remembered by most posting about Shaddy.  He was a catcher from peewees until this year.  Yes, he had some struggles early, but adjusted.  I challenge any of you critics to change from your comfort zone, an area you've trained for your whole life, and then start doing something completely different.  You'll have struggles.

Shaddy's leadership completely outweighs his ever improving 2nd base skills.  I predict a great year for Carson. 

Pig Papi

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 09:38:32 am
Shaddy isn't coming back to sit. If DVH didn't DH Shaddy when he was committing an error after 3rd game this year early in the season, then he definitely isn't sitting him as a senior unless it gets really bad.

This is where that depth thing comes into play.  They didn't feel comfortable with what they had after Shaddy so Shaddy had to play through it.  Depth won't be a problem it looks like in 2018.

The incoming freshman this may affect the most is Casey Martin.  Casey is a stud and Hog fans will love how he plays but playing time will be harder to come by next year.

JonClaudeVanHam

I'm wondering if some of the incoming talent will be totally fine with redshirting. There simply won't be enough ABs for everyone.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

WhenPigsFly

DVH certainly does pull some head scratchers from time to time, with two of those involving Shaddy and Bonfield.  I think DVH pretty much guaranteed Shaddy he would be at second this year, since that was his most likely pro position.  And I think that's why we saw Bonfield in LF so much early in the season as well, to help prepare him for pro ball (with Cole at DH!), until it became obvious that LB was hurting us out there in the ALA series.

That being said, I'm glad they are coming back.  Shaddy really grew on me the last third of the season.  His fielding settled down, and he is an intense competitor.  And Bonfield will obviously be an asset from the offensive side. 

This may just be the perfect storm for the 2018 Omahogs.  Potentially the best balance of hitting and pitching (with depth) that we have seen from a DVH squad.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on June 15, 2017, 08:54:31 am
He could be drafted in the first 3 rounds if he were to return and continue on the pace he was going.

He would lose money. He's gone.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

jbell96

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on June 15, 2017, 08:54:31 am
He could be drafted in the first 3 rounds if he were to return and continue on the pace he was going.

Wouldn't be smart to come back, he has no leverage, and there is a possibility that he could regress a little. I'm just disappointed the Cardinals didn't draft him.

dotnet

The Shaddy and Bonfield plays were definitely not head scratch worthy.  They were perfectly reasonable and obvious the entire time....

DVH's goal was to make it to Omaha, not win more OOC games.  Shaddy made a lot of errors in non conference - of which the team won its fair share of games - but through that worked and was more than a passable defender at second by the time the post season came around.  Once he was able to play second, he was clearly the best option.  DH'ing Shaddy makes you more likely to win OOC games early in the year and a worse team when it comes time for the post season.

Bonfield was easy too.  He needed reps and to be better in LF.  You knew there would be four spots for Arledge, Cole, McFarland, Fletcher and Bonfield.  Bonfield was clearly getting a spot, Fletcher was likely getting a spot, and then it was 2 of the other three.  Cole started the season like he didn't know which way to hold the bat and McFarland started okay.  If Cole would have hit 185 the entire season and McFarland would have been the best bat to play, Bonfield would have had to play LF and McFarland DH.  He was trying to prepare the team to make sure he had options and the best players playing. 

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 09:51:59 am
Maybe it isn't playing favorites, but DVH definitely has some guys he "overly trusts" and others that have 1 bad outing and remain in the dog house all season. This is my thinking, as well.

Maybe DVH is evaluating the player based on more than just the one outing? 

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on June 15, 2017, 10:57:51 am
Maybe DVH is evaluating the player based on more than just the one outing? 
Clearly he was, but this notion DVH is immune to mistakes doesn't fly with me. I am not saying you think that way, but anytime someone questions a coaching decision someone hits back with a snarky "he knows more than you" comment. I get that, but some pitchers were knocked around the park all year long and it was predictable what would happen when we brought them in with runners on. I love DVH and think he is one of the best in the country, but like any person at their job makes mistakes. Unfortunately for him (although I am sure he doesn't care), there are message boards to discuss his successes and failures. I get every decision is made at the time based on the feel of the game, but if a guy isn't getting it done in games it may be time to try one of those guys who haven't had the best bullpen but may perform in the moment. Always easier to say that after the fact, I guess.

FYI, Shaddy had 6 errors in SEC play. He was tied for 4th for the most errors in the SEC. His fielding percentage in SEC play was .937. There were only a few position players below him in the SEC, the rest were pitchers. I definitely get what you are saying, and I think he got better. I had more of problem with going to Alberius to get us out of a jam more than I had with us continuing to play Shaddy at a position he made 16 errors at.

southarkhog06

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 11:32:17 am
Clearly he was, but this notion DVH is immune to mistakes doesn't fly with me. I am not saying you think that way, but anytime someone questions a coaching decision someone hits back with a snarky "he knows more than you" comment. I get that, but some pitchers were knocked around the park all year long and it was predictable what would happen when we brought them in with runners on. I love DVH and think he is one of the best in the country, but like any person at their job makes mistakes. Unfortunately for him (although I am sure he doesn't care), there are message boards to discuss his successes and failures. I get every decision is made at the time based on the feel of the game, but if a guy isn't getting it done in games it may be time to try one of those guys who haven't had the best bullpen but may perform in the moment. Always easier to say that after the fact, I guess.

FYI, Shaddy had 6 errors in SEC play. He was tied for 4th for the most errors in the SEC. His fielding percentage in SEC play was .937. There were only a few position players below him in the SEC, the rest were pitchers. I definitely get what you are saying, and I think he got better. I had more of problem with going to Alberius to get us out of a jam more than I had with us continuing to play Shaddy at a position he made 16 errors at.
he has a plan, sometimes it doesn't pan out. Remember when everyone wanted spanberger to sit, when we were questioning why cole kept getting chances? When people wanted Lee to replace Arledge for the regional?

There are things DVH is evaluating outside of the games that we can't see, that makes it appear to us that he has "his guys".

TebowHater

FYI, Shaddy had 6 errors in SEC play. He was tied for 4th for the most errors in the SEC. His fielding percentage in SEC play was .937. There were only a few position players below him in the SEC, the rest were pitchers.

For what it's worth, Biggers had 5 errors in SEC play and we consider him an amazing defender. I think part of the improvement and quality of a fielder is in their ability to make plays they shouldn't be able to make / that are hard to make (to rob hits). Carson improved greatly in this area during conference play.

Quote from: southarkhog06 on June 15, 2017, 11:57:23 am
When people wanted Lee to replace Arledge for the regional?

I was pushing for Lee over a month before the regional, and though Jake did come through in the regional, would not have reevaluated that stance. The dude could rake and would find a way to score when on.

jry04

Quote from: southarkhog06 on June 15, 2017, 11:57:23 am
he has a plan, sometimes it doesn't pan out. Remember when everyone wanted spanberger to sit, when we were questioning why cole kept getting chances? When people wanted Lee to replace Arledge for the regional?

There are things DVH is evaluating outside of the games that we can't see, that makes it appear to us that he has "his guys".
I understand that. He isn't just doing stuff for the heck of it. He knows more and sees more than I do. For the record, I never wanted to sit Spanberger. Cole, I definitely felt if he was going to be in the lineup he should at least be in the field not DH'ing. I get he has a plan and it doesn't always work. I am not trying to be critical of him, I was just pointing out to the poster who said we don't play favorites. Like I said, while they may not be "favorites," they definitely have a longer leash than others. When it is April and May and fans can accurately predict that a pitcher, with over a 6.00 ERA and opponents hitting .364 against him in SEC play, is going to give up a base hit for a run when he comes in with runners on 4-5 times in a row it is a head scratcher.

flippinhogmana

DVH clearly knows some things I dont, just as you know some things I dont.  That's in the very nature of being different individuals in various points of perspective.  I dont always agree with you (I do most of the time), and I dont always agree with DVH (I do most of the time).  DVH is a good baseball manager.  That isn't to say that all the time his decisions are based purely on baseball.  He has sentiments that sometimes come into play (but I am not saying that the sacrifices the overall good of the team for it). 

He is as predictable in certain areas as the sun coming up in the east (or appearing too).  Don't you and I, as well as the razorback nation, know that he is going to lean to veterans over newcomers, particularly early in the season, for the most part as far as playing time is concerned?  Of course we do, that doesn't make him right, nor does it make him wrong in that approach.  there are generally more arguments for that position than against it though.

He sees more fall ball than I do, he sees more practice in general than I do.  Like I said, for the most part, I agree with his decisions.  My hindsight is usually 20/20, but even before hand I sometimes scratch my head over certain things even before they play out.  That being said, I have come to appreciate him more and more over the years.  He learns from time to time, too, btw.

Finally, there is a loyalty strain in DVH.  Upperclassmen who have been through the wars with him get some deference at least for a while.  I kind of like that most of the time.  I would hate to see that he is purely mercenary with his players and I think that would hurt the program in the long run if he were. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jry04

Quote from: TebowHater on June 15, 2017, 11:59:03 am
For what it's worth, Biggers had 5 errors in SEC play and we consider him an amazing defender. I think part of the improvement and quality of a fielder is in their ability to make plays they shouldn't be able to make / that are hard to make (to rob hits). Carson improved greatly in this area during conference play.

I was pushing for Lee over a month before the regional, and though Jake did come through in the regional, would not have reevaluated that stance. The dude could rake and would find a way to score when on.
The SEC website says he had 3 in SEC play with a .968 fielding %, but I am not sure if that is through the SECT.

jry04

Quote from: flippinhogmana on June 15, 2017, 12:05:04 pm
DVH clearly knows some things I dont, just as you know some things I dont.  That's in the very nature of being different individuals in various points of perspective.  I dont always agree with you (I do most of the time), and I dont always agree with DVH (I do most of the time).  DVH is a good baseball manager.  That isn't to say that all the time his decisions are based purely on baseball.  He has sentiments that sometimes come into play (but I am not saying that the sacrifices the overall good of the team for it). 

He is as predictable in certain areas as the sun coming up in the east (or appearing too).  Don't you and I, as well as the razorback nation, know that he is going to lean to veterans over newcomers, particularly early in the season, for the most part as far as playing time is concerned?  Of course we do, that doesn't make him right, nor does it make him wrong in that approach.  there are generally more arguments for that position than against it though.

He sees more fall ball than I do, he sees more practice in general than I do.  Like I said, for the most part, I agree with his decisions.  My hindsight is usually 20/20, but even before hand I sometimes scratch my head over certain things even before they play out.  That being said, I have come to appreciate him more and more over the years.  He learns from time to time, too, btw.
This is my sentiment, too. I wouldn't trade him, think he is a great coach, and understand more often than not his decisions work out. I was not trying to argue why he is making mistakes, but more to point out that he does play veterans (as you said) more than giving younger guys a shot. That is why I said to the poster I was responding to that Shaddy is going to play. He isn't going to sit next year under any imaginable circumstance outside of injury. Just like DVH continued to play Alberius/Chadwick/Spanberger, he will play Shaddy no matter what. With that being said, this conversation is for nothing because I think Shaddy is going to rake next year.

TebowHater

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 12:07:25 pm
The SEC website says he had 3 in SEC play with a .968 fielding %, but I am not sure if that is through the SECT.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/teamcume-3.htm

Scroll to bottom for conference fielding statistics sorted by player. Biggers finished directly above Shaddy on our team. Notably, Carson has 8 errors listed there, too (as opposed to the original 6).

southarkhog06

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 12:03:41 pm
I understand that. He isn't just doing stuff for the heck of it. He knows more and sees more than I do. For the record, I never wanted to sit Spanberger. Cole, I definitely felt if he was going to be in the lineup he should at least be in the field not DH'ing. I get he has a plan and it doesn't always work. I am not trying to be critical of him, I was just pointing out to the poster who said we don't play favorites. Like I said, while they may not be "favorites," they definitely have a longer leash than others. When it is April and May and fans can accurately predict that a pitcher, with over a 6.00 ERA and opponents hitting .364 against him in SEC play, is going to give up a base hit for a run when he comes in with runners on 4-5 times in a row it is a head scratcher.
nobody bats 1.000, even DVH learns and grows as he goes. I imagine he looks back and would do something different if he could do it again.
My problem comes in that most "discussion" about what is done wrong is said like "look how baseball smart I am".

jry04

Quote from: TebowHater on June 15, 2017, 12:18:34 pm
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/teamcume-3.htm

Scroll to bottom for conference fielding statistics sorted by player. Biggers finished directly above Shaddy on our team. Notably, Carson has 8 errors listed there, too (as opposed to the original 6).
Yeah, that is including the SECT numbers. SEC.com for some reason only shows before SECT numbers. So Biggers had 5 errors in more attempts for a .959 fielding %, and Carson had 8 errors in fewer attempts for a .936 fielding %.  I will say Biggers made some errors late this year, but he also made plays on a lot of balls most SS would never get a glove on. I cannot wait to see him next season.
Quote from: southarkhog06 on June 15, 2017, 12:22:19 pm
nobody bats 1.000, even DVH learns and grows as he goes. I imagine he looks back and would do something different if he could do it again.
My problem comes in that most "discussion" about what is done wrong is said like "look how baseball smart I am".
You will never catch me claiming to know more about the game than any division 1 head coach, but that doesn't mean I can't second guess some of the stuff he does for discussion sake on here. With that being said, if I was able to make the correct decision every time in front of 10,000 fans I would be doing it rather than sitting on a message board talking about it.

Hogs49ers

Some MLB twitter guy confirmed Bonnin, Turney, and Optiz will be playing at Arkansas with some other highly recruits.
SCREW Vandy!

TNhawgfan

Quote from: ucahogfan on June 14, 2017, 07:42:27 pm
Among the two major top 500 lists, we will more than likely get the following players for 2018:

Blaine Knight
Bryce Bonnin
Cole Turney
Jackson Rutledge
Casey Opitz
Heston Kjerstad
Luke Bonfield
Hunter Milligan

Wow, that's crazy exciting
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

southarkhog06

Quote from: jry04 on June 15, 2017, 12:42:18 pm
Yeah, that is including the SECT numbers. SEC.com for some reason only shows before SECT numbers. So Biggers had 5 errors in more attempts for a .959 fielding %, and Carson had 8 errors in fewer attempts for a .936 fielding %.  I will say Biggers made some errors late this year, but he also made plays on a lot of balls most SS would never get a glove on. I cannot wait to see him next season.You will never catch me claiming to know more about the game than any division 1 head coach, but that doesn't mean I can't second guess some of the stuff he does for discussion sake on here. With that being said, if I was able to make the correct decision every time in front of 10,000 fans I would be doing it rather than sitting on a message board talking about it.
I wasn't necessarily talking about you, or Kevin or most regulars. You can't deny there are those on here that do that.
I just personally don't post about my disagreements because usually they guy I am down on comes up big and I look foolish.

SPAL

Quote from: dotnet on June 15, 2017, 10:56:20 am
The Shaddy and Bonfield plays were definitely not head scratch worthy.  They were perfectly reasonable and obvious the entire time....

DVH's goal was to make it to Omaha, not win more OOC games.  Shaddy made a lot of errors in non conference - of which the team won its fair share of games - but through that worked and was more than a passable defender at second by the time the post season came around.  Once he was able to play second, he was clearly the best option.  DH'ing Shaddy makes you more likely to win OOC games early in the year and a worse team when it comes time for the post season.

Bonfield was easy too.  He needed reps and to be better in LF.  You knew there would be four spots for Arledge, Cole, McFarland, Fletcher and Bonfield.  Bonfield was clearly getting a spot, Fletcher was likely getting a spot, and then it was 2 of the other three.  Cole started the season like he didn't know which way to hold the bat and McFarland started okay.  If Cole would have hit 185 the entire season and McFarland would have been the best bat to play, Bonfield would have had to play LF and McFarland DH.He was trying to prepare the team to make sure he had options and the best players playing. 

I just don't think the bolded part is true. J Mac was the #1 outfielder in Illinois and #11 overall OF in the nation. He has a good enough arm to play LF and ran a 6.6/60. He has tremendous bat potential. If jmac and bonny ice are my choices to play in LF, I'm going McFarland.

Which leads me to another thought. You have got to find a way to have him in the lineup. Even if it as first base. His bat is too good not to have in the lineup.

SPAL

Re: disagreeing with DVH.

There are two vocal groups of people here. The guys who are here year around and those who come around in June.

People like jry can disagree with DVH and wonder why he made a certain move but he can do so without coming across inflammatory and his view can be backed up with knowledge of the game. I like a good debate with knowledgeable baseball fans. It's what makes the game great.

But the other group of people that come on here in June and drop a nugget of wisdom that isn't intended to spark a civil debate, rather it's intended to irritate and troll people into responding to them.....it's not the spirit of baseball and it's not the spirit of this board.

DiamondHogFan

Switching subjects for a bit...

How much, if at all, do you guys think this draft has on us being able to land a top notch hitting coach/recruiter?  DVH possibly have his guy already locked up before the draft?

rhog1

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on June 15, 2017, 02:18:24 pm
Switching subjects for a bit...

How much, if at all, do you guys think this draft has on us being able to land a top notch hitting coach/recruiter?  DVH possibly have his guy already locked up before the draft?
I really hope the new hitting coach can find a happy medium between small ball and gorilla ball.This year when the bats were hot we could beat anyone but when we couldn't get them going we could lose to anyone. I would love the ability to manufacture more runs through good base running, bunts and timely hitting and not just swinging for the fences which it really felt like we did too much this year. Gorilla ball does have its perks to though, watching the team just destroy Florida was a lot of fun too.

Kevin

let me throw this log on the fire.

the most questionable decision of the year, was brining in josh in Monday's winner take all to face their shortstop who had hit the walk off vs ok state, then later in the night, he brings in knight.

if you knew that you were going to use knight, why not there. that ended up being the ball game.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

PurpleHog

I had more of problem with going to Alberius to get us out of a jam more than I had with us continuing to play Shaddy at a position he made 16 errors at.

I would definitely agree with this. Alberius had a serious tendency to hit bats. When he came in the game to face Burger and Eierman, I cringed in my seat. Personally, I would've liked to have seen Jaxson Williams get a little more of a shot in some midweek games during the season just so I could get a better feel for what his potential might be. Shaddy's offensive numbers were good but not overwhelming. I certainly don't envy DVH for having to choose between playing a senior with some obvious fielding limitations and some freshman who may be more physically talented but less experienced.

This year, I didn't understand the Kenley over Gates experiment at 3rd or continuing to go to Alberius despite opponents batting .298 against him. I also would've liked to have seen DVH rest Koch more in midweek games even if it meant going with Gosser.

All in all though, I think this was one of Van Horn's better coaching years. Hosting a regional and barely missing the supers is still a very good year.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: Kevin on June 15, 2017, 02:38:57 pm

the most questionable decision of the year, was brining in josh in Monday's winner take all to face their shortstop who had hit the walk off vs ok state, then later in the night, he brings in knight.

if you knew that you were going to use knight, why not there. that ended up being the ball game.

Careful.......

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Kevin on June 15, 2017, 02:38:57 pm

He was saving knight for a needed spot in the late innings. No one thought that home run would be the difference. Heck, until 2 outs in the 9th i still thought we'd hit their pen. Our offense lost that game, not any pitching decision DVH made

jry04

Quote from: TNhawgfan on June 15, 2017, 04:02:01 pm
He was saving knight for a needed spot in the late innings. No one thought that home run would be the difference. Heck, until 2 outs in the 9th i still thought we'd hit their pen. Our offense lost that game, not any pitching decision DVH made
I agree with this. I knew Burger or Eierman were taking Alberius yard there, but I also didn't think it would matter that much. I thought for sure we would get more runs before the game was over. Alberius did a good job settling in after that. We went to Alberius with 2 on and 2 out in the game the day before against Oral Roberts too, and he gave up an RBI single.

With all that being said, we left way too many guys on and Alberius, or any pitching decision did not cost us. Alberius gave us a chance against Oral Roberts by settling in and eating up 3 innings.

jry04

Quote from: PurpleHog on June 15, 2017, 02:42:49 pm
I would definitely agree with this. Alberius had a serious tendency to hit bats. When he came in the game to face Burger and Eierman, I cringed in my seat. Personally, I would've liked to have seen Jaxson Williams get a little more of a shot in some midweek games during the season just so I could get a better feel for what his potential might be. Shaddy's offensive numbers were good but not overwhelming. I certainly don't envy DVH for having to choose between playing a senior with some obvious fielding limitations and some freshman who may be more physically talented but less experienced.

This year, I didn't understand the Kenley over Gates experiment at 3rd or continuing to go to Alberius despite opponents batting .298 against him. I also would've liked to have seen DVH rest Koch more in midweek games even if it meant going with Gosser.

All in all though, I think this was one of Van Horn's better coaching years. Hosting a regional and barely missing the supers is still a very good year.
Without a doubt. We came into the season hoping to make a regional and we ended up hosting one. We were potentially a bonfield hit into the gap from winning the SECT and getting a national seed. We were 1 hit away from winning the regional. This team exceeded expectations, making our loss one of the easier for me to swallow because of how proud I was of the team making it as far as they did.

dotnet

Clearly he was, but this notion DVH is immune to mistakes doesn't fly with me. I am not saying you think that way, but....

I do not think that way about DVH, but I do think he has earned the benefit of the doubt in general on why guys get more rope than others when you consider how much rope he gives certain people.  And I was making my general comment in response to a general comment about guys getting benefit of the doubt. 

i think there are specific cases where based on what I see I would do something different.  Lee and Cronin are the obvious examples.  But at the same time, Lee gave up a decent amount of homers for someone who pitched as much as him.  Maybe him being used in the specific situations he was in is why he looked so dominant for the last month in those 1-2 hitter outings. 

dotnet

Quote from: TNhawgfan on June 15, 2017, 04:02:01 pm
He was saving knight for a needed spot in the late innings. No one thought that home run would be the difference.

I disagree with this.  This is where the MLB has surpassed (or stayed ahead of) the college game in teams getting smart and getting past this errant logic. 

You have no idea what the end of the game is going to look like.  Saving your best reliever for one inning that may or may not matter makes zero sense.  You want your best reliever pitching the most pivotal pitches of the game.  And you knew at that moment that those pitches were very pivotal.  Knights 1-2-3 inning was as low leverage as it gets in a tight ball game. 

The only defense of saving knight is if you say he was coming in off short rest and has mostly been a starter so you don't want to throw him out there with runners on, you want him to be able to start his own inning.  That some what makes sense and is a fine defense.  Saving him for a lower leverage situation doesn't.

dotnet

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 15, 2017, 01:58:57 pm
I just don't think the bolded part is true. J Mac was the #1 outfielder in Illinois and #11 overall OF in the nation. He has a good enough arm to play LF and ran a 6.6/60. He has tremendous bat potential. If jmac and bonny ice are my choices to play in LF, I'm going McFarland.

Which leads me to another thought. You have got to find a way to have him in the lineup. Even if it as first base. His bat is too good not to have in the lineup.

Is #1 OF in Illinois kind of like the #1 Qb in Alaska? 

I agree McFarland has good straight line speed, but its clear there was never any intention of him playing the OF this year and that has to be for a reason.  Jared Gates also came into this year listed as a JUCO MIF, and there is no way he'd play second. 

Who is it that you're saying has to have their bat in the lineup?  I think its true of both players for 2018, I'm just curious who you're talking about

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

SPAL

Quote from: dotnet on June 15, 2017, 05:24:07 pm
Is #1 OF in Illinois kind of like the #1 Qb in Alaska? 

I agree McFarland has good straight line speed, but its clear there was never any intention of him playing the OF this year and that has to be for a reason.  Jared Gates also came into this year listed as a JUCO MIF, and there is no way he'd play second. 

Who is it that you're saying has to have their bat in the lineup?  I think its true of both players for 2018, I'm just curious who you're talking about

Obviously I'm talking about McFarland. Seems like Bonfield's bat was already in the lineup. I could have sworn he was a big part of our success at the plate. Who knows though. I'm talking to someone who discounts a #11 national ranking because he is from Illinois. Maybe Chad Spanberger is from Alaska.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: dotnet on June 15, 2017, 05:20:50 pm

You have no idea what the end of the game is going to look like.  Saving your best reliever for one inning that may or may not matter makes zero sense.  You want your best reliever pitching the most pivotal pitches of the game.  And you knew at that moment that those pitches were very pivotal.  Knights 1-2-3 inning was as low leverage as it gets in a tight ball game. 

Ok BUT if we hit two balls to second base or to the outfield in the 6th instead of striking out, then knight comes in a situation that is anything but low leverage. I understand the point you're making, but still think you save  knight till the 8th or 9th. JMO

Big Nasty 34

Alberius being called on in difficult situations was a reflection of not having a go-to strikeout guy in the pen. Alberius wasn't going to blow it by anyone, so he was going to give up hits. DVH knew he would come in throwing strikes, however, and I'm sure that's why he counted on him more than an unproven erratic reliever.

DeltaHog66

Always easy to criticize a decision a coach makes if it doesn't work.

jry04

Quote from: DeltaHog66 on June 15, 2017, 09:34:14 pm
Always easy to criticize a decision a coach makes if it doesn't work.
As opposed to being critical when it does work?

TebowHater

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 15, 2017, 07:40:19 pm
Alberius being called on in difficult situations was a reflection of not having a go-to strikeout guy in the pen. Alberius wasn't going to blow it by anyone, so he was going to give up hits. DVH knew he would come in throwing strikes, however, and I'm sure that's why he counted on him more than an unproven erratic reliever.

This is 100% all it boiled down to. DVH didn't want to walk in runs, which we did on a couple of occasions early in the year. That infuriates him more than anything. He was going to make teams beat us, and if that is what they did, so be it.

The other key thing is that with our offense, I think he was more concerned with not giving up a big inning than he was having the guy not give up any runs. He always felt like we would score more runs, so he just wanted to keep it close when we were in a jam - 1 or 2 runs was no problem. With these goals in mind, Alberius was his man.

TNhawgfan

Did the braves really give kyle wright a 7 million dollar bonus? Holy cow that's a lot of money to give a college kid

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: TNhawgfan on June 16, 2017, 08:15:01 am
Did the braves really give kyle wright a 7 million dollar bonus? Holy cow that's a lot of money to give a college kid
Well...I can assure you he is not a college kid any longer.  He is a post-college millionaire.

jry04

Quote from: TNhawgfan on June 16, 2017, 08:15:01 am
He had leverage with eligibility left. He was also projected a top 3 pick, potentially #1 overall. They drafted 6 college seniors with their first 10 picks, so it is safe to say they have a lot of money to work with.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: rhog1 on June 15, 2017, 02:38:00 pm
I really hope the new hitting coach can find a happy medium between small ball and gorilla ball.This year when the bats were hot we could beat anyone but when we couldn't get them going we could lose to anyone. I would love the ability to manufacture more runs through good base running, bunts and timely hitting and not just swinging for the fences which it really felt like we did too much this year. Gorilla ball does have its perks to though, watching the team just destroy Florida was a lot of fun too.
Regarding gorilla ball.  We lost nearly 1/4 of our home run production in the form of Mr. Spanberger.  I don't see anyone there right now that can near replace to that.  So it seems there is going to be some transition into more small ball.

PurpleHog

Quote from: Pig Papi on June 15, 2017, 08:55:27 am
Yes, if Shaddy is our question mark next year then we are in very good shape.

Probably, but there's more to it than that. Every inning Shaddy and Bonfield plays, someone else doesn't. That's fine if they're our best options at those positions, but will Van Horn just automatically go with the seniors even if some of the freshman have more ability. What if some of those freshman opt not to sit and transfer out? It would seem that fall ball is going to be huge this year. DVH has some really tough decisions to make about who plays where. Here's to hoping he gets it right.

jry04

Quote from: PurpleHog on June 16, 2017, 10:14:46 am
Probably, but there's more to it than that. Every inning Shaddy and Bonfield plays, someone else doesn't. That's fine if they're our best options at those positions, but will Van Horn just automatically go with the seniors even if some of the freshman have more ability. What if some of those freshman opt not to sit and transfer out? It would seem that fall ball is going to be huge this year. DVH has some really tough decisions to make about who plays where. Here's to hoping he gets it right.
Realistically I do not think there are too many incoming freshmen that will be impacted by the return of Shaddy and Bonfield. According to DVH, 2B was going to be occupied by Kenley or Burch, with a possibility of Williams. Those are the 3 guys impacted by Shaddy returning, or possibly Gates. I could see Kenley or Hunter Wilson playing 3rd over Gates with Shaddy returning instead of potentially 2nd. Turney could be impacted by Bonfield's return, but I think it all works out.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: PurpleHog on June 16, 2017, 10:14:46 am

Baseball is a funny game to begin with, and college baseball with limited scholarships, its rules about when the players are draft eligible and so forth make it even more funny (as in unique, not haha).  When Bonfield came here none of us thought we would ever have him for four years.  He was more likely (we thought) that he would be drafted at the end of his sophomore year.  His injury reshaped all that.

McKinney, Taccolini, Campbell and a several other players being injured hurt our team at critical points because we just didnt have pitching depth (draft rules always impact that) in the pitching rotation.  The fact is none of us have a crystal ball on injuries, or performance at the SEC-as in stock portfolios-past performance is no guarantee of future performance.  Cant miss prospects sometimes do miss or are injured.  Its a part of the game.

I do agree that the central question comes down to:  By Shaddy and Bonfield returning are we losing two or three years from a player transferring or switching to signing when they otherwise would have come here-for one year from those two.  We dont know, and even if it results in that, we dont know what the impact of that would really be because of the aforementioned.  Both Shaddy and Bonfield are proven performers at the SEC level.  I think they are proven performers who will have very solid if not great years.  I think Shaddy gets better this year defensively, and both will be well motivated.  We dont know if some of these players are willing to sit a year either.  There are a lot of good players apt to be gone after next year.

i also agree that fall ball will be huge.  Getting Knight ball is huge, though, Campbell being back full bore, and hopefully McKinney getting back will also be felt.  There are sometimes that I like sheer athletic ability over experience if all other things are equal (but sometimes all things arent equal), but if its a toss up I will go with experience.  I think DVH is much of the same mindset.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Big Nasty 34

We have a legit shot to win a National Championship next year. It is not the time to worry about the next 2-3 years. Go all in on next year and if some young guys transfer to get more PT, then so be it. Besides, this isn't basketball or football where we can't recruit. We should have no problems recruiting for the next 2-3 years, especially if we make a deep run in Omaha.

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on June 16, 2017, 05:25:54 pm
We have a legit shot to win a National Championship next year. It is not the time to worry about the next 2-3 years. Go all in on next year and if some young guys transfer to get more PT, then so be it. Besides, this isn't basketball or football where we can't recruit. We should have no problems recruiting for the next 2-3 years, especially if we make a deep run in Omaha.

This. Next year is the best shot we've ever had.