Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crazy idea for Cantrell

Started by Tusks, May 13, 2015, 03:03:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tusks

With all the depth at TE, what about taking Cantrell's freak athleticism and turning him into another JJ Watt?

6-4 to 6-5, 250 and running 10 second 100 meter splits.  Winning the shot put.  The guy is becoming legendary with what he can do athletically.

If he's at LB/DE he can play every down on D.  As a TE he can only make a big play when thrown to or handed off to.

Now that defense isn't a 4 letter word around the program again.  Just a thought, he could be the next Lawrence Taylor.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Wildhog

He played both sides of the ball in HS.  I think he's just a football player- a guy you can stick just about anywhere and he'd excel.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

I think he will play as an H-back.

Tusks

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 13, 2015, 03:05:16 pm
I think he will play as an H-back.

but with that kind of athleticism is that where he'd make the most impact?  in theory on D he can make a play every down.

Can you imaging with that speed what kind of sideline to sideline coverage he'd have.  zone blitzes, etc. 

I figure he'll end up on offense too, but man he can make a whole lot of impact and eventually money on the D side.

jjdlc

The kid looked impressive at DE in HS, several people I spoke to that know him, believe OU wanted to put him at DE.  He is a freak athlete, he could play any number of positions.  I wouldn't be surprised to hear of the coaches trying him on both sides.

Huds_HawgTide

he set the sack record as a jr and then broke it as a sr
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Arthur pigby sellers.

Why don't we play him at H back since we are thin in that area.  Guy can be a four year player there.  We are set at DT and DE for the foreseeable future

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tusked on May 13, 2015, 03:03:51 pm
With all the depth at TE, what about taking Cantrell's freak athleticism and turning him into another JJ Watt?

6-4 to 6-5, 250 and running 10 second 100 meter splits.  Winning the shot put.  The guy is becoming legendary with what he can do athletically.

If he's at LB/DE he can play every down on D.  As a TE he can only make a big play when thrown to or handed off to.

Now that defense isn't a 4 letter word around the program again.  Just a thought, he could be the next Lawrence Taylor.

I think he gets a shot a FB/H-Back this year if he can grasp the playbook/offensive concept quickly. I think he can contribute there right away. What the future holds after his freshman year remains to be seen.
Go Hogs Go!

HogInFlorida

May 13, 2015, 05:53:30 pm #8 Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 06:50:32 pm by HogInFlorida
I think if any of our TE recruits will be moved to DE, its Jamario Bell. He's slightly athletic too. Remember that video of him as a junior breaking the backboard in a game and made the SC top 10? Yeah...

I think Cantrell fits in best on offense as an h-back type of swiss army knife TE like we used Derby in a lot this year. Can't wait to see all of them though. It's probably fair to say that if our recruiting class played a pick up BBall game with anybody else's this year, we'd perform the best on the boards. A lot of big freaky athletes. O'Grady might be the most athletic of all of them.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Peter Porker

I suggested this as well. Imagine Cantrell and Bell as bookend DEs.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Tusks

Quote from: Peter Porker on May 13, 2015, 06:20:55 pm
I suggested this as well. Imagine Cantrell and Bell as bookend DEs.

I'm thinking of him as a LB more than a DE.  Move him all over the field.  DE one play, ILB the next and then an OLB.  I'm wondering if he's the fastest 6-4 guy to play on the hill?

HogInFlorida

Quote from: tusked on May 13, 2015, 06:54:46 pm
I'm thinking of him as a LB more than a DE.  Move him all over the field.  DE one play, ILB the next and then an OLB.  I'm wondering if he's the fastest 6-4 guy to play on the hill?

Lets slow down a bit. First of all it's pretty well documented that letting a guy run loose and try and out-athlete the rest of the SEC doesn't work too well unless you have a guy like Clowney on defense who isn't human or Percy Harvin on offense that nobody can touch. Lets let Cantrell learn one position and master it.

Second of all we've never seen him in a game against SEC opponents. We've seen him against Oklahoma high schoolers. It's extremely unlikely that he's more athletic than big guys like Chris Gragg, Marcus Monk, Greg Childs, DJ Williams, etc.. Let's watch him play a few games first.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Love those Hogs

I'd try him at HB!  That big and that fast is a good combination.
Hogs 4 Life!

redeye

Is he faster then Matt Jones?

Hawgzinbowlz

If he's as good as advertised, he'll likely see playing time on special teams.
As thin as we are at linebacker, and if he would buy in at the position, would like to see him learn whichever LB position that would help us the most.

" GO HOGS "

Theolesnort

Quote from: redeye on May 13, 2015, 07:28:49 pm
Is he faster then Matt Jones?
Now you are thinking right except let him play the H back, run some wheel routes and line up in the Wild Cat some and under study Kodi Walker as a goal line tail back. Matt Jones was a good comparison except he will not play QB like Jones but he is very versatile. Either he or our young Viking could be our best pick up this year.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

bennyl08

So what you are saying is, with all the depth at TE you'd like to move him to the one position where we arguably have even more depth? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Secondly, while I think he could be a solid DE, his highlights as a TE in highschool were more impressive than his highlights as a DE.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hoggish1

Been sayin' it, too...  Make it so...

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I'm thinking of him quartered and smoking with a supreme dry rub all over him... Oh wait that's another HOG, my bad...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

nwahogfan1

I don't think that has been completely ruled out.  I guess if will be determined by where he falls on the depth chart but if he can catch 45-50 passes for 500-700 yards a year then it would be hard to put him at DE.

immahog

I undestand the idea of this kid on D.  But I would love to see him in the H back roll .....I see payton hillis
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: HogInFlorida on May 13, 2015, 05:53:30 pm
I think if any of our TE recruits will be moved to DE, its Jamario Bell. He's slightly athletic too. Remember that video of him as a junior breaking the backboard in a game and made the SC top 10? Yeah...

I think Cantrell fits in best on offense as an h-back type of swiss army knife TE like we used Derby in a lot this year. Can't wait to see all of them though. It's probably fair to say that if our recruiting class played a pick up BBall game with anybody else's this year, we'd perform the best on the boards. A lot of big freaky athletes. O'Grady might be the most athletic of all of them.
They have talked about putting Bell at DE since the start of his recruitment. He has some freak athleticism.

kennymayne

Ahh the old Hogville 6'5" 250lb MLB. Never fails.

Tusks

Quote from: kennymayne on May 14, 2015, 12:38:27 pm
Ahh the old Hogville 6'5" 250lb MLB. Never fails.

With speed !!   8)

choppedporkextrasauce

I see this kid breaking some long runs with his deceptive speed. He'll become a fan favorite

Peter Porker

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Theolesnort

Just keep this in mind....the defense has a lot of studs and it will be great. The offense is lacking in a place or two and needs some play makers to elevate it to another level. Can Cantrell be such a play maker? I dunno but if he can, playing him in a already stacked defensive situation might be silly just to make the defense a little better when he could have (maybe) a huge impact on the offense. A very versatile running back/Hback/ receiver/blocking back at a elite level could have a tremendous effect to complete this offense but that is just speculation until he arrives and we see what he can really do. But, I say speculation because that is what this thread is about isn't it?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

AirForceHog

Interesting switch but I would keep him in the TE/H back position. I'm pretty sure he will see the field as mentioned before as a minimum on special teams.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

hvsupastar

If he could be jj Watt,  don't you think he'd be playing on defense already?
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Peter Porker

Quote from: hvsupastar on May 16, 2015, 12:32:39 am

He's not on anything atthe moment. He did play defense and offense in high school. It is expected that he play offense here, but that could change. For what it's worth, JJ Watt started his college career off as a tight end.

Tusks

Quote from: hvsupastar on May 16, 2015, 12:32:39 am

He set his HS sack record as a JR and then broke his own record as a SR.

This is just some msg board fun.  I didn't realize he was as great an athlete as he is.  I mean I'd read and heard he was a freak but with what he's doing in track this spring its very eye catching. 

I don't know if he's faster than Matt Jones, that's a great question, but I guarantee he can throw the shot put farther than MJ.

Im just glad he's a hog.  One thing that prompted the original post is I was wondering the last time the hogs had a true defensive superstar?  As in a potential 1st round pick.

bennyl08

Quote from: tusked on May 16, 2015, 09:48:22 am
He set his HS sack record as a JR and then broke his own record as a SR.

This is just some msg board fun.  I didn't realize he was as great an athlete as he is.  I mean I'd read and heard he was a freak but with what he's doing in track this spring its very eye catching. 

I don't know if he's faster than Matt Jones, that's a great question, but I guarantee he can throw the shot put farther than MJ.

Im just glad he's a hog.  One thing that prompted the original post is I was wondering the last time the hogs had a true defensive superstar?  As in a potential 1st round pick.

Anderson was 8th overall not that far back with Houston following him in the second round.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

texas tush hog

Quote from: tusked on May 16, 2015, 09:48:22 am

I can answer that for you real quick. MJ ran a 4.32 at the NFL combine at 6'7" and 242 lbs with a 44 inch vertical. Doubt Cantrell will ever approach those numbers.

SwineGrind

The real question is how is the kid at 45 yd field goals?

HogFoo

As coach B has said since his arrival.   He always likes to recruit a lot of TEs because they are usually the biggest most athletic versatile players on the team.  And they can be moved to many positions.   With that said I'd love to see him stay on offense and play the Hback position.  I was thinking Bell had already been penciled in as a DE.      Wasn't jj watt originally  a TE before being moved to DE?
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............