Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The`Mystery of Chris Daniels

Started by whosiskid, April 26, 2015, 03:30:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

whosiskid

Does anyone have a clue as to why we haven't pursued Chris Daniels?

247 has him with a grade of 94. He has good size for a DT and some schools with great academics are offering him, so it can't be worry over his academics.

Although he lives in Texas, he was born and raised in Arkansas and in interviews said he still thinks of himself as an Arkansas. He visits his relatives in Arkansas whenever possible, and has spent summers with his grandparents. He says he still follows the Razorbacks. And at times it has sounded like all we need to do to get a commitment out of him is to offer him.

Yet we don't seem to be recruiting him at all, while TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, and a host of other schools (he has a great offer sheet) are pursuing him like mad.

The ONLY thing that I can think of it that we may have offered for him to come to the elite weekend and he was unable to come. In the past Bielema really backs off players who do not make key events without a really great reason. But I could be wrong. We backed off Jalen Barnett last year. We may have a really great reason we are not going after Daniels, but I'd sure like to know what it is. I will add, we don't seem to be hurting at DT, but still, you want to add the best players whenever you can, and Daniels seems really great.

FWIW, Otis Kirk picked Daniels on 3/1/05 to go to Arkansas, but I have asked him several times on 247 what the deal is with us and Daniels, and he hasn't answered. I'm concluding, almost, that he just doesn't want to say what he currently knows.

Sure would like to get Daniels.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Peter Porker

We backed off of Barnett because Pittman saw him play in person and was not impressed. We've backed off on other kids because of character issues. No telling with Daniels.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

pccmizuno24

blows my mind why the kid hasnt been offered. I have known his dad for over 25 years and he is hurt the hogs havent offered. said they not really even recruiting him.

JackTNHogfan

I'm sure they have their reasons.  Trust in the coaches ability to gauge talent and work the recruiting process, they know what they are doing.

TeedupHigh

Quote from: whosiskid on April 26, 2015, 03:30:36 pm
Does anyone have a clue as to why we haven't pursued Chris Daniels?

247 has him with a grade of 94. He has good size for a DT and some schools with great academics are offering him, so it can't be worry over his academics.

Although he lives in Texas, he was born and raised in Arkansas and in interviews said he still thinks of himself as an Arkansas. He visits his relatives in Arkansas whenever possible, and has spent summers with his grandparents. He says he still follows the Razorbacks. And at times it has sounded like all we need to do to get a commitment out of him is to offer him.

Yet we don't seem to be recruiting him at all, while TCU, Texas, Texas A&M, and a host of other schools (he has a great offer sheet) are pursuing him like mad.

The ONLY thing that I can think of it that we may have offered for him to come to the elite weekend and he was unable to come. In the past Bielema really backs off players who do not make key events without a really great reason. But I could be wrong. We backed off Jalen Barnett last year. We may have a really great reason we are not going after Daniels, but I'd sure like to know what it is. I will add, we don't seem to be hurting at DT, but still, you want to add the best players whenever you can, and Daniels seems really great.

FWIW, Otis Kirk picked Daniels on 3/1/05 to go to Arkansas, but I have asked him several times on 247 what the deal is with us and Daniels, and he hasn't answered. I'm concluding, almost, that he just doesn't want to say what he currently knows.

Sure would like to get Daniels.

Could it be a Coach's decision?  I trust CBB and Pittman when it comes to recruits, they SURLY have the teams best interest at all times, let'em do the coaching and recruiting!

Hoggy Bear

https://twitter.com/ryanbartow/status/577831219804512256

@ryanbartow Four-star Chris Daniels says #TCU is recruiting him the hardest & wants an #Arkansas offer.

whosiskid

Quote from: Peter Porker on April 26, 2015, 03:45:08 pm
We backed off of Barnett because Pittman saw him play in person and was not impressed. We've backed off on other kids because of character issues. No telling with Daniels.

I knew that about Barnett, but that doesn't illumine the situation with Daniels. It does seem like someone has decided that for some reason we aren't going hard after Daniels.

I never said I didn't trust the coaches, but saying that you do doesn't get you any closer to answering the question of WHY he hasn't been offered. Ohio State and Michigan have offered. We didn't offer (or at least haven't to date) despite only two months ago Daniels talking as if he would commit if offered.

Why didn't we pursue him? That's all I'm asking. I don't distrust the coaches. I'm sure the coaches have their reasons. I'm just curious as to what those reasons are.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Huds_HawgTide

How bout this...someone email E.K. Franks and explain the situation...and tell him we would love to have this kid is there any reason why we havent pursued him
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

PaintballHog

First I've heard of this. Very, very odd. Would hate to lose a chance at a great talent.

redeye

Quote from: whosiskid on April 26, 2015, 09:01:17 pm
I knew that about Barnett, but that doesn't illumine the situation with Daniels. It does seem like someone has decided that for some reason we aren't going hard after Daniels.

I never said I didn't trust the coaches, but saying that you do doesn't get you any closer to answering the question of WHY he hasn't been offered. Ohio State and Michigan have offered. We didn't offer (or at least haven't to date) despite only two months ago Daniels talking as if he would commit if offered.

Why didn't we pursue him? That's all I'm asking. I don't distrust the coaches. I'm sure the coaches have their reasons. I'm just curious as to what those reasons are.

Well, we don't exactly throw out tons of uncommitable offers, like some schools do, so there's that.

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: whosiskid on April 26, 2015, 09:01:17 pm

It's unlikely that we will ever know, if indeed we aren't recruiting him, and that's the way it should be.  Arkansas, like all other colleges, can't offer everybody. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: pccmizuno24 on April 26, 2015, 07:57:16 pm
blows my mind why the kid hasnt been offered. I have known his dad for over 25 years and he is hurt the hogs havent offered. said they not really even recruiting him.

It blows MY mind why fans on a message board get their mind blown over questions of WHY someone does or doesn't get an offer.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bjeffersonhog

Perhaps we only plan on taking 2 DT in this class and Guidry and Capps were higher on the board.  If we are only going to take 18-22 kids this year I don't think we can take 3 DT.

COCHISE

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on April 27, 2015, 08:50:12 am
Perhaps we only plan on taking 2 DT in this class and Guidry and Capps were higher on the board.  If we are only going to take 18-22 kids this year I don't think we can take 3 DT.
I think Daniels would fall in to the "you make room for him" category. And we are recruiting him apparently. The recruiting services show that Coaches Smith and Segrest are his recruiters. And speaking of Daniels, what's the story on Tate? No offer to him either.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 27, 2015, 07:12:27 am
It blows MY mind why fans on a message board get their mind blown over questions of WHY someone does or doesn't get an offer.

explain?

samurai

Quote from: bjeffersonhog on April 27, 2015, 08:50:12 am
If we get Agim that makes 3 higher than him on the board probably getting a bit crowded on the interior D-line

PaintballHog

Quote from: samurai on April 27, 2015, 09:45:12 am
If we get Agim that makes 3 higher than him on the board probably getting a bit crowded on the interior D-line

Agim is a DE. And I think Daniels is athletic enough to play both, like Ledbetter.

logand02

ricepig

It's like a draft board, recruits have their slot/ranking. I'm sure there is a reason the recruiting is going like it is, and I'm also sure we won't hear why, lol.

Dominicanhog

and as the poster said, with only taking 18-22 that might be the extent of the DL recruiting... still need extra bodies at RB, WR, LB and OL.... not many spots left when you start filling in the needs for depth etc...

hawg1221

I'm a big fan of his great grandpa Jack. ;D

Arthur pigby sellers.

TeufelHog

Well, if he REALLY wants to be a Hog and gets no offer, he can always walk-on.  Sounds like he's set with offers from elsewhere if it's a monetary issue.

Boils down to how bad he wants to be a Hog?  Enough to walk-on and earn the scholarship?  Big decision.

texas tush hog

Agim is no better than 50-50 at this point. He is not really an Arkansas boy and is leaning to OU and a few Texas schools at this point so don't get your hopes too high.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on April 27, 2015, 08:32:48 pm
Agim is no better than 50-50 at this point. He is not really an Arkansas boy and is leaning to OU and a few Texas schools at this point so don't get your hopes too high.

I don't believe he's said where he's leaning.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: texas tush hog on April 27, 2015, 08:32:48 pm

I rarely chime in on the whims of teenage boys, but I believe this young man will be a Razorback.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Huds_HawgTide

Quote from: TeufelHog on April 27, 2015, 08:32:38 pm
Well, if he REALLY wants to be a Hog and gets no offer, he can always walk-on.  Sounds like he's set with offers from elsewhere if it's a monetary issue.

Boils down to how bad he wants to be a Hog?  Enough to walk-on and earn the scholarship?  Big decision.
an ESPN300 top 150 for that matter doesnt just walk on
tommy boy

Foshodo

Hadnt heard of the kid... yeah. ya make room for this guy... I don't really care if we get Agim if we get 3 other 4stars

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hoggy Bear on April 26, 2015, 08:59:17 pm
https://twitter.com/ryanbartow/status/577831219804512256

@ryanbartow Four-star Chris Daniels says #TCU is recruiting him the hardest & wants an #Arkansas offer.
hmmmm. Kid is definitely heavily interested.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hawg1221 on April 27, 2015, 07:28:21 pm
I'm a big fan of his great grandpa Jack. ;D
a scholar and a Gentleman.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Foshodo on April 28, 2015, 01:28:49 am
Hadnt heard of the kid... yeah. ya make room for this guy... I don't really care if we get Agim if we get 3 other 4stars
agim is a 5*  , so... I agree that you don't pass on chris daniels.
@Slackaveli

jgphillips3

We have all seen 4 & 5 star talent that don't live up to the hype or won't fit the system.  Barnett from last year comes to mind.  Physical attributes get you in the door but there are so many intangibles that separate one kid from another.  For his  assumed position, explosiveness, footwork, shedding blocks, arriving violently at the point of attack, can he play multiple techniques and so forth.  My guess is since we are limited to a supposed 22, we may very well be recruiting this kid but telling him we are waiting on a "no" from someone else to make a commitable offer.  Hard to tell yet.  Let see what unfolds toward fall when more names start to commit.

WooPig90

Quote from: Foshodo on April 28, 2015, 01:28:49 am

Must not really care if we win either..getting Agim would be huge on the field and also getting other recruits

Wildhog

This staff doesn't internet recruit.  They make their own evaluations.

One look at our DL should make you trust them.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PaintballHog

Quote from: Wildhog on April 28, 2015, 10:58:43 am
This staff doesn't internet recruit.  They make their own evaluations.

One look at our DL should make you trust them.

There are going to be alot of good coaching staffs that will be wrong about Daniels if ours are right about him.

A&M, Baylor, Michigan, OSU, OU, Miami, OM, USC..

Trey1981

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 28, 2015, 08:54:25 am
We have all seen 4 & 5 star talent that don't live up to the hype or won't fit the system.  Barnett from last year comes to mind.  Physical attributes get you in the door but there are so many intangibles that separate one kid from another.  For his  assumed position, explosiveness, footwork, shedding blocks, arriving violently at the point of attack, can he play multiple techniques and so forth.  My guess is since we are limited to a supposed 22, we may very well be recruiting this kid but telling him we are waiting on a "no" from someone else to make a commitable offer.  Hard to tell yet.  Let see what unfolds toward fall when more names start to commit.

Curious as to why you would imply that Barnett is someone who doesn't live up to the hype. Maybe our coaching staff didn't believe that he fit the system or that his talent didn't live up to star rating but it's far too early to write him off. He hasn't even stepped onto the field to play a collegiate game yet.

Wildhog

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 28, 2015, 01:16:09 pm
There are going to be alot of good coaching staffs that will be wrong about Daniels if ours are right about him.

Be that as it may.
1909/1964/1965/1977

neahogfan180

I'm gonna preface my next statement by saying that I am a believer in this staff and have high hopes for this team and our future.

The thought however, that anyone should not question or blindly follow a staff or HC that is 2-14 in conference play is laughable.

intelligence

Quote from: neahogfan180 on April 28, 2015, 09:42:26 pm
I'm gonna preface my next statement by saying that I am a believer in this staff and have high hopes for this team and our future.

The thought however, that anyone should not question or blindly follow a staff or HC that is 2-14 in conference play is laughable.

preach

ricepig

It's their team to coach, they'll decide who they want. If they fail to do enough winning, then they will suffer their own fate.

idochog

CBB get paid well to make these decisions.
I love Jesus!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Trey1981 on April 28, 2015, 01:24:16 pm
Curious as to why you would imply that Barnett is someone who doesn't live up to the hype. Maybe our coaching staff didn't believe that he fit the system or that his talent didn't live up to star rating but it's far too early to write him off. He hasn't even stepped onto the field to play a collegiate game yet.

This.  Coaches made a judgment that he wouldn't live up to the hype, but he hasn't had a chance, yet, to show what he can do, or not do, on a college football team.

EFBAB

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on April 28, 2015, 10:10:54 pm
It's their team to coach, they'll decide who they want. If they fail to do enough winning, then they will suffer their own fate.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Peter Porker

Quote from: Trey1981 on April 28, 2015, 01:24:16 pm

Because CSP went and watched him play and wasn't impressed.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

TeufelHog

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on April 27, 2015, 09:23:59 pm
an ESPN300 top 150 for that matter doesnt just walk on
He does if he wants it bad enough.  The heart wants what it wants sometimes.  You don't know how people will make decisions.

samurai

Quote from: PaintballHog on April 28, 2015, 01:16:09 pm

Ever heard of DGB

Choctaw Hog

April 30, 2015, 07:18:18 am #47 Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:39:51 pm by Choctaw Hog

I don't remember anybody stating that they are blindly following the coaching staff. If they have then please provide the post.  But, based on LIMITED KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, AND EXPERTISE, how can any message board poster question how this staff recruits and the reasons behind it? 

Isn't that like telling your heart surgeon how to perform your surgery even through you flunked the only biology course you ever took? 

The_Boot_stops_here

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on April 30, 2015, 07:18:18 am
I don't remember anybody stating that they are blindly following the coaching staff. If they have then please provide the post.  But, based on LIMITED KNOWLEDGE EXPERIENCE, AND EXPERTISE, how can any message board poster question how this staff recruits and the reasons behind it? 

Isn't that like telling your heart surgeon how to perform your surgery even through you flunked the only biology course you ever took? 

If you don't want to read other's opinions about everything Hogs then you're in the wrong place...nothing wrong with questioning the coaching staff, ever....in the end, our opinion doesn't matter (on most things) but it's certainly ok to give it