Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Liberty Bowl

Started by razorbackchamps94, November 22, 2015, 09:21:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Supermark101

Quote from: Danny J on November 23, 2015, 05:57:45 pm
I don't care what bowl but I don't want to play a spread team with a decent QB. I would love to get a team like Duke.

"I don't care what bowl but I don't want to play a spread team with a decent QB" Your obviously not familiar with Duke. We want no part of them.

Quote from: presidenthog on November 24, 2015, 12:31:40 am
I think the conference will put us in a bowl against a big 10 team. Texas Bowl would make sense as far as ticket sales and recruiting because the conference chooses these things based on those reasons but they also will make these decisions based on match ups and the perception of the league. the league knows we have no defense if it isn't against a run based team. I think they will match us up against a B1G school no matter what because they know we will win that game

Totally agree here.

Don't count out Kentucky even if they lose to Louisville. There are 10 open bowls slots and 13 5-6 teams, if 10 do not win this week, a 5-7 team will be playing in a bowl.

elksnort

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on November 23, 2015, 08:19:07 am
The SEC needs to make sure we won't get a spread team.

Please give me Penn State in Nashville.
Excellent choice/situation.

razoredge178

Its unfortunate that this is the topic at the end of year 3 of the coach who didn't come here to play in the SEC, but came here to win the SEC.

Don't even the finest programs often experience the typical "down year" after a 5th year QB is replaced with the new guy? We're tracking for the Liberty Bowl the year before we would typically expect a down year....

The subject has been beat to death but, as my boss says, don't mistake hard work for success.

hogsanity

Quote from: Supermark101 on November 24, 2015, 06:48:12 am
"I don't care what bowl but I don't want to play a spread team with a decent QB" Your obviously not familiar with Duke. We want no part of them.

Totally agree here.

Don't count out Kentucky even if they lose to Louisville. There are 10 open bowls slots and 13 5-6 teams, if 10 do not win this week, a 5-7 team will be playing in a bowl.

IF I read the "rules" correctly for bowls, if a conference can not meet it's tie ins with teams with at least 6 wins, then those spots 1st go to secondary affiliation conferences that do have available teams that meet the 6 win requirement. In other words, all 6+ win teams, regardless of conference, will be in bowls provided there are not more 6 win teams than bowl slots.  So, for example, the sec with 10 bowl tie ins only has 9 teams with 6 wins, but conf usa has 7 six win teams but only 6 bowl ties ins, the 7th team with 6 wins from conf usa gets the sec's 10th spot.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogcard1964

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2015, 09:28:58 am
IF I read the "rules" correctly for bowls, if a conference can not meet it's tie ins with teams with at least 6 wins, then those spots 1st go to secondary affiliation conferences that do have available teams that meet the 6 win requirement. In other words, all 6+ win teams, regardless of conference, will be in bowls provided there are not more 6 win teams than bowl slots.  So, for example, the sec with 10 bowl tie ins only has 9 teams with 6 wins, but conf usa has 7 six win teams but only 6 bowl ties ins, the 7th team with 6 wins from conf usa gets the sec's 10th spot.

Yes and no.

I just read on Yahoo this morning that there's a possibility that a few 5-7 teams may have to be chosen.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 24, 2015, 09:44:08 am
Yes and no.

I just read on Yahoo this morning that there's a possibility that a few 5-7 teams may have to be chosen.

Yes, they probably will. But, for example the sec bottom 2 bowls are the Inepend and the Birmingham bowl. I do not think they automatically take a 5-7 sec team, if there are 6-6 or better teams from other leagues available after those leagues fill all their bowl slots. In other words, every team that is 6-6 or better HAS to be put in a bowl before any 5-7 teams get to go.

They were talking about this during the Vt game Sat, saying if VT ends up 5-7, they may be one of the 5-7 teams that some bowl picks to fill a slot if their are not enough 6 win teams to fill out the bowl slate.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogcard1964

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2015, 09:53:56 am
Yes, they probably will. But, for example the sec bottom 2 bowls are the Inepend and the Birmingham bowl. I do not think they automatically take a 5-7 sec team, if there are 6-6 or better teams from other leagues available after those leagues fill all their bowl slots. In other words, every team that is 6-6 or better HAS to be put in a bowl before any 5-7 teams get to go.

They were talking about this during the Vt game Sat, saying if VT ends up 5-7, they may be one of the 5-7 teams that some bowl picks to fill a slot if their are not enough 6 win teams to fill out the bowl slate.

Agreed

I heard Missouri and Nebraska are also in the mix.

ricepig

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on November 24, 2015, 09:55:13 am
Hopefully we are one of them.

Did we lose a previous victory, I could have sworn we already had 6........

hogsanity

Quote from: hogcard1964 on November 24, 2015, 10:03:47 am
Agreed

I heard Missouri and Nebraska are also in the mix.

Right now 71 fbs teams have at least 6 wins, and 17 more are at 5-6 or 4-6, so 17 teams still with a chance to get eligible. There are 80 bowl slots, iirc, so just over half of the 17 teams with a shot need to get to 6 wins. The big10 has at least 3 teams at 5-6.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Danny J on November 23, 2015, 06:32:47 pm
That would be very likely IMO and it would probably be a decent game.
I don't know if I like that matchup for the hogs.  Paxton Lynch would have a field day with our defense.  Would definitely be entertaining though...possibly another 53-52, 51-50 game.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 22, 2015, 11:23:27 pm
this would be a nightmare matchup. they might hang 70 on us
West Virginia?  Their high point mark is 49.  Against Kansas.  If you don't hang 70 on Kansas you aren't going to hang 70 on anybody.  Against OU and OSU they scored 24 and 26.  I think WV and Arkansas would be a pretty good matchup.

hogsanity

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 24, 2015, 10:22:57 am
West Virginia?  Their high point mark is 49.  Against Kansas.  If you don't hang 70 on Kansas you aren't going to hang 70 on anybody.  Against OU and OSU they scored 24 and 26.  I think WV and Arkansas would be a pretty good matchup.

I just want to see them play someone they have not played before, or at least not in a long long time.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hogsanity on November 24, 2015, 10:24:19 am
I just want to see them play someone they have not played before, or at least not in a long long time.
I'll buy that.