Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Recruits

Started by AFWarrior83, March 17, 2018, 02:07:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AFWarrior83

We have a large incoming class. Does anyone know how good these guys are and what roles they will fill with us losing so many seniors? Are we going to regress next year or are the new kids good enough to get us back to the NCAA tourney next year? I know it's probably to early to know, but I figured I'd ask anyhow just to see what everyone's thoughts are. I don't know much about the new guys. Gafford was a pleasant surprise, so I'm curious if any of the new players can come in and have an I immediate impact.
Hogville member since 2005.

zenchow

Found this article on ESPN today
http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=18353

We continue our recruit and return series with the Arkansas Razorbacks, whose season ended Friday at the hands of Butler. A look at what the 2018-19 season could hold:

Possible 2018-19 starting five

G: Darious Hall

G: Jalen Harris

G: C.J. Jones

F: Ethan Henderson

F: Adrio Bailey

Who is lost: At least three starters are gone: senior guards Jaylen Barford, Daryl Macon and Anton Beard. Reserve forwards Arlando Cook and Trey Thompson are departing seniors, too. The key question is centered on star freshman forward Daniel Gafford. With his stock moving up (he's currently ranked 15th in ESPN's top 100 draft rankings), it's a possibility he makes the jump to the NBA after just a year.

Who is added: With a large senior class outgoing, coach Mike Anderson has a large recruiting class incoming. His six-man signing class is headlined by ESPN 100 power forward Ethan Henderson, the top-ranked player in the state of Arkansas. The 6-foot-8 Henderson is athletic, mobile and can finish well around the rim. Findlay Prep power forward Reggie Chaney, a four-star prospect who's originally from Texas, is a strong 6-foot-8, 230 pounds and should be a good inside presence, particularly on the boards. Four-star point guard Isaiah Joe and three-star shooting guard Desi Sills are also Natural State products; Joe boasts great shooting range and Sills can defend. Four-star guard Keyshawn Embery from IMG Academy is a scorer, and three-star guard Jordan Phillips from Cedar Hill (Texas) is a versatile defender. The Razorbacks also welcome transfer guard Jalen Harris, who joined the program before the 2017-18 season but had to sit out due to transfer rules. Harris played at New Mexico before heading to Arkansas.

What it means for next season: This is going to be a young squad that's lean on experience. If Gafford returns, then that changes the outlook of things, because his presence alone could lift the Razorbacks. If he leaves, then this team is basically starting from scratch with almost an entirely new lineup. Adrio Bailey has the most starting experience of the remaining players (he started 13 games in the regular season), and none of the returnees will have averaged more than 15 minutes a game this season.

Trending: Down. If Gafford goes, it's going to be a rebuilding year on the Hill. If he returns, then the Razorbacks become a factor.

Danny J

Sums it up nicely^^^. Season really hinges on Gafford returning.

Pinto

I doubt we make the tourney next year but it will be refreshing to watch the young talented guys develop chemistry together. It will be addition by subtraction with a few of those seniors leaving...

cardsNhogs

Next season is looking Ugly !

rolyat_2008

Scoring points = massive struggle

navyhog24

Next season has no worthless seniors, seems hopeful

Pinto

Quote from: rolyat_2008 on March 17, 2018, 07:53:40 pm
Scoring points = massive struggle

It was a struggle this year. Watching the guards pound the air out the ball then take contested shots isn't a very efficient way to score. Don't count out these young guys coming in because they can all score the rock pretty well in their own ways. I can see CJ improving in the offseason and giving us 13-15 ppg next season also

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: zenchow on March 17, 2018, 06:00:07 pm
Found this article on ESPN today
http://www.espn.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=18353

We continue our recruit and return series with the Arkansas Razorbacks, whose season ended Friday at the hands of Butler. A look at what the 2018-19 season could hold:

Possible 2018-19 starting five

G: Darious Hall

G: Jalen Harris

G: C.J. Jones

F: Ethan Henderson

F: Adrio Bailey

Who is lost: At least three starters are gone: senior guards Jaylen Barford, Daryl Macon and Anton Beard. Reserve forwards Arlando Cook and Trey Thompson are departing seniors, too. The key question is centered on star freshman forward Daniel Gafford. With his stock moving up (he's currently ranked 15th in ESPN's top 100 draft rankings), it's a possibility he makes the jump to the NBA after just a year.

Who is added: With a large senior class outgoing, coach Mike Anderson has a large recruiting class incoming. His six-man signing class is headlined by ESPN 100 power forward Ethan Henderson, the top-ranked player in the state of Arkansas. The 6-foot-8 Henderson is athletic, mobile and can finish well around the rim. Findlay Prep power forward Reggie Chaney, a four-star prospect who's originally from Texas, is a strong 6-foot-8, 230 pounds and should be a good inside presence, particularly on the boards. Four-star point guard Isaiah Joe and three-star shooting guard Desi Sills are also Natural State products; Joe boasts great shooting range and Sills can defend. Four-star guard Keyshawn Embery from IMG Academy is a scorer, and three-star guard Jordan Phillips from Cedar Hill (Texas) is a versatile defender. The Razorbacks also welcome transfer guard Jalen Harris, who joined the program before the 2017-18 season but had to sit out due to transfer rules. Harris played at New Mexico before heading to Arkansas.

What it means for next season: This is going to be a young squad that's lean on experience. If Gafford returns, then that changes the outlook of things, because his presence alone could lift the Razorbacks. If he leaves, then this team is basically starting from scratch with almost an entirely new lineup. Adrio Bailey has the most starting experience of the remaining players (he started 13 games in the regular season), and none of the returnees will have averaged more than 15 minutes a game this season.

Trending: Down. If Gafford goes, it's going to be a rebuilding year on the Hill. If he returns, then the Razorbacks become a factor.
I would be completely & utterly shocked at CJ starting.... he's not going to beat out Zay or Embry at the SG position playing O'lay defense and running around the perimeter waiting for a pass to attempt a *3*

6'7.5 Chaney is a interior scorer in the mold of Butch Morris while Ethan Henderson and his freakish vertical is a 6'8-6'9 version of Daniel. (Not very effective outside 10 feet)

My guess on starter's:

PG - Jaylen with Sills (best one on one defender) also running the point when Jaylen is resting.

SG - Zay with Embrey at backup dependent on the lineup.

SF - Day Day will be over taken by Phillips by the time SEC play begins.

PF - Chaney

C -  Gafford

If Khalil returns then Sills moves to SG.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*