Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baseball Trivia Thread

Started by GatorHog, June 10, 2015, 09:50:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JHicks3636

I am always looking for good, new trivia questions. I got this one from ESPN last night.

Since 2010 who has the most total distance for homeruns hit? Unless you saw the show, I would not expect anyone to get the bonus question. How many feet of homeruns has the player hit?

GatorHog

Wisco Pig

My first impulse was to guess Giancarlo Stanton, because that dude hits absolute bombs, but I think Cabrera must have a higher HR total, so I'll go with Miguel.

As for distance, let's say 200 homers times an average of 375 feet, which would be 75,000 feet, I think.

JHicks3636

JHicks3636

Quote from: Wisco Pig on June 24, 2015, 07:11:09 pm
My first impulse was to guess Giancarlo Stanton, because that dude hits absolute bombs, but I think Cabrera must have a higher HR total, so I'll go with Miguel.

As for distance, let's say 200 homers times an average of 375 feet, which would be 75,000 feet, I think.
1/2 credit

It is Stanton and you were unbelievably close on distance-just over 74,000 feet

JHicks3636

June 24, 2015, 07:17:47 pm #755 Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:40:08 pm by JHicks3636
Quote from: GatorHog on June 24, 2015, 06:33:36 pm
Yes, if my interwebz sources are correct, the answer to the interleague question is 17, and was set last week when the Cubs defeated the Indians (17-0).

Now, as for the first leadoff hitter to hit for the cycle...well, we may never know the answer.  Maybe Hicks can help us out, or possibly Jimmy Ryan is the best answer.

I meant to ask who was the last leadoff hitter to hit for the cycle, lol. 

I believe  Ian Kinsler.

Wisco Pig

I think the last guy to hit for the cycle did so last week -- Brock Holt of the Red Sox.

Wisco Pig

Whoops, forgot about the leadoff hitter component.  Scratch that last answer.

JHicks3636

June 24, 2015, 07:39:05 pm #758 Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 07:49:14 pm by JHicks3636
This will be my answer to the first lead-off hitter to hit for the cycle. To get this, I went through the entire list of hitters who did it. I then looked up each box  score that was available. Note that I could not find some box scores from the late 1800s or early 1900s. This was the oldest provable box score I could find where the lead off hitter got the cycle.

Cliff Heathcote
6/13/18
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1918/B06130PHI1918.htm

GatorHog

Quote from: JHicks3636 on June 24, 2015, 07:39:05 pm
This will be my answer to the first lead-off hitter to hit for the cycle. To get this, I went through the entire list of hitters who did it. I then looked up each box  score that was available. Note that I could not find some box scores from the late 1800s or early 1900s. This was the oldest provable box score I could find where the lead off hitter got the cycle.

Max Carey-6/20/25
http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1925/B06200PIT1925.htm

Definitely deserve +1 

JHicks3636

Quote from: GatorHog on June 24, 2015, 07:41:35 pm
Definitely deserve +1 

Gator I had to edit, found an older one. Note that the cycle was it 63 times prior to Heathcote doing it. I could find box scores for only 2 of them. Always a chance that 1 of the other 61 was a lead-off hitter. Someone would just have to show me documentation.

SPAL

Quote from: Wisco Pig on June 24, 2015, 07:22:06 pm
Whoops, forgot about the leadoff hitter component.  Scratch that last answer.

no, you were correct. Holt batted leadoff when he hit the cycle.

GatorHog

How many former baseball player-managers are members of the Hall of Fame?

Closest to the number within the half-hour takes it down.

bulldog04

Quote from: GatorHog on June 25, 2015, 07:10:47 pm
How many former baseball player-managers are members of the Hall of Fame?

Closest to the number within the half-hour takes it down.

GatorHog

Answer is 61, per Wiki (deal only in facts)

Wisco Pig

"Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst  5m5 minutes ago

Joey Gallo's line last night: 1 for 5, 4 K, 1 triple. 18th to have that line, including Rickey, Cito Gaston, Frank Howard & Reggie Sanders!"

GatorHog

Who is the only female elected to the Hall of Fame?

SPAL

Marge shott was my first thought, bit then I remembered all the racist remarks. I have no idea.

GatorHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 12, 2015, 08:47:41 pm
Marge shott was my first thought, bit then I remembered all the racist remarks. I have no idea.

Hah - not Marge Schott.  I picked this up from reading the book on Roy Campanella, who has a really interesting story as a mixed-race player who came up through the Negro League, then played for the Dodgers.

This HOF'er owned one of the Negro League teams..

BroyledNutts

Mrs. Effa Manley, owner of the Newark Eagles, inducted into the HOF in 2006

GatorHog

Quote from: BroyledNutts on July 13, 2015, 10:15:23 am
Mrs. Effa Manley, owner of the Newark Eagles, inducted into the HOF in 2006

winner winner

Wisco Pig

In the past 10 years, who's the only pitcher to start multiple All-Star games?

89ALUM

I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

89ALUM

Ah, never mind.  I didn't read the part about the last 10 years. 

It was probably Roy Halladay, then.

"That's what." - she

Wisco Pig

Roy Halladay is correct.  He started the 2009 All-Star game for the AL and the 2011 game for the NL.   Two years later, a partially torn rotator cuff and other injuries to his throwing shoulder forced him to retire.

89ALUM

OK, this might have been asked (I haven't read through the whole thread).

Who is the only player to have won MVP awards in both the All-Star game and the World Series IN THE SAME SEASON?

"That's what." - she

Wisco Pig

(in Bob Sheppard's voice):  "The shortstop, number two, Derek Jeter."

89ALUM

Bingo.  +1.

Numbah Two.  Derek Jeetah.  Numbah Two.  Jeetah.

"That's what." - she

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

GatorHog

How many inches of waxed red thread are in a baseball?

dbhog

JHicks3636

I've said before that some of the best trivia questions arise when an event first happens. With that in mind, Mike Hessman set a record last night while playing for the AAA Toledo Mud Hens. What was it? As an aside, the Mud Hens was Corporal Klinger's favorite team on MASH.

JHicks3636

This play happened tonight (8/4/15) in the Dodgers-Phillies game. Phillies have runners on 1st and 2nd. Pitcher for the Dodgers winds up and as he goes to throw the ball it slips out of his hand. The ball rolls across the infield and stops just short of the 1st base baseline. Runner comes home from 2nd for an apparent score. Score the play.

Wisco Pig

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 04, 2015, 10:37:56 pm
This play happened tonight (8/4/15) in the Dodgers-Phillies game. Phillies have runners on 1st and 2nd. Pitcher for the Dodgers winds up and as he goes to throw the ball it slips out of his hand. The ball rolls across the infield and stops just short of the 1st base baseline. Runner comes home from 2nd for an apparent score. Score the play.

In this case it's a balk, right?  If the ball hadn't stopped short and had actually crossed the foul line, then I think the play would have been live, meaning the runner is allowed to score on a (very) wild pitch.

As for the preceding question about Mike Hessman, I have no idea.   Go Mud Hens!

JHicks3636

Correct Wisco, had the ball crossed the foul line, it would have been scored a ball and would have been in play. Since it did not cross the foul line, it was scored a balk as men were on base. The runner who seemed to score was sent to 3rd and the other runner to 2nd. As it turned out, the batter walked to load the bases and the next hitter smacked a Grand Slam.

JHicks3636

As for my Mike Hessman question, he hit his 433rd minor league homerun to become the all-time minor league homerun champ. Shades of "Crash" Davis from Bull Durham.

GatorHog

Quote from: dbhog on August 04, 2015, 01:32:34 pm
88 inches

Correct - I think I hit the limit on OP modifications, so I can't update the standings! 

JHicks3636

A new trivia question arises today. Madison Bumgarner of the S.F. Giants pitched a complete game shutout, struck out 14, and hit a homer against Washington today. Who is the only other pitcher in MLB history to pitch a shut out, have at least 10 Ks, and hit a homer in the same game? If no one gets this in a while, I have a clue that might help.

GatorHog

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 16, 2015, 05:29:02 pm
A new trivia question arises today. Madison Bumgarner of the S.F. Giants pitched a complete game shutout, struck out 14, and hit a homer against Washington today. Who is the only other pitcher in MLB history to pitch a shut out, have at least 10 Ks, and hit a homer in the same game? If no one gets this in a while, I have a clue that might help.

Bob Gibson is my guess.

JHicks3636

Not Maddux or Gibson

My hint, and I think it is an interesting one.
By coincidence, the other pitcher who had done this was in the stadium in SF to see Baumgarner match his feat.

JHicks3636

Hint 2
He is a former SF Giant.

Big Nasty 34

Juan Marichal

Couldn't remember the rule on second guessing haha

JHicks3636