Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CAL fires Sonny Dykes

Started by BR, January 08, 2017, 12:32:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 3m3 minutes ago

BREAKING #Cal has fired head coach Sonny Dykes, a source has told FOX Sports. Story coming on @FoxSports.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

Chip Kelly might of found a new home...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

not sure Kelly would want academic requirements
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: BR on January 08, 2017, 12:32:22 pm
Chip Kelly might of found a new job where he can still live in his samehome...
fify
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on January 08, 2017, 01:02:14 pm
We better act quick or wew

I'm not sure he's a candidate for our DC position, which isn't open.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Cal basically saw what Minnesota did and followed suit.  Decided Dykes wasn't the long term solution big name available didn't want to wait for a bidding war next year.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 08, 2017, 01:08:57 pm
Cal basically saw what Minnesota did and followed suit.  Decided Dykes wasn't the long term solution big name available didn't want to wait for a bidding war next year.

We should try that
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: JOKERHOG on January 08, 2017, 01:16:16 pm
We should try that

Not sure who the next Chip or PJ is at this point.  I think if Fuente would not have been hired at Va Tech he would be it in the South.  I could see Scott Frost rising up that ladder with another good season or two at UCF.  Brohm was probably another one had he waited probably could have had an SEC job next year. 

Since the only way we are changing HCs is if an NFL team hires Bielema I will hope for the best next year with new blood in the DC (an hopefully a few other spots) and a Sr. Austin Allen.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawghiggs

What are they thinking? They didn't give him enough time to do it the " right way". Don't they know that it takes at least 5 or 6 seasons? Can you imagine a program having the nerve to do something like this?

Trystran

Kelly or Miles will end up there I figure.

clutch

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 08, 2017, 01:27:16 pm
Not sure who the next Chip or PJ is at this point.  I think if Fuente would not have been hired at Va Tech he would be it in the South.  I could see Scott Frost rising up that ladder with another good season or two at UCF.  Brohm was probably another one had he waited probably could have had an SEC job next year. 

Since the only way we are changing HCs is if an NFL team hires Bielema I will hope for the best next year with new blood in the DC (an hopefully a few other spots) and a Sr. Austin Allen.

Might as well be patient and if Bielema doesn't work out maybe Mike Norvell will be that guy in the future. He's really young (graduated from UCA in 2005) and I like what he did at Memphis this year. I met him at the Arkansas Football Coaches Convention last year and he was a really impressive guy. He knows his stuff and was very likable.

Played at UCA, offensive minded, says he considers Arkansas home, and his wife is from Fort Smith.

Calling All Hogs

But Sonny won 8 games in 2015. Why wasn't he given an extension and $15 million buyout then? That doesn't make sense.

WilsonHog

Early talk seems to point to Justin Wilcox, the DC at Wisconsin.

ricepig

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 08, 2017, 02:10:14 pm
But Sonny won 8 games in 2015. Why wasn't he given an extension and $15 million buyout then? That doesn't make sense.

Because he's put his name out for about every job that came open, unfortunately for him, others don't value his worth as much as he does.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 08, 2017, 02:00:46 pm
What are they thinking? They didn't give him enough time to do it the " right way". Don't they know that it takes at least 5 or 6 seasons? Can you imagine a program having the nerve to do something like this?

1-11, 5-7, 8-5, and then finally 5-7. Not many coaches are going to live for 3 losing seasons in 4 years.  Especially when the coach before that had 9 winning seasons and 2 losing seasons in his 11 years there.  2 losing seasons were in his final 3 years though. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Hogwild

We was given an extension and new contract, but Cal's AD used his brain when he put the deal together-

QuoteIf Dykes were to be terminated with three or more years left on his deal, the buyout would be at around $2 million. Termination with one to two years would afford Dykes a $1.5 million buyout, one to two years at $750,000.

Dykes's contract will rollover another year if Cal wins at least 7 games and achieves at least a single year 980 APR.

There will be tons of bonuses for winning X number of football games a year and achieving bowl eligibility, plus additional bonuses for beating Stanford ($25k), UCLA, USC and Oregon ($10k each).

tophawg19

i wish my job would fire me and give me 2 million to go away
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

rhog1

I was reading through the Cal Board to see what their fans think about this. most seem to think they are going after Chip Kelly. They also have a rumor that Sonny Dykes is headed to Ole Miss.

sickboy

Quote from: rhog1 on January 08, 2017, 02:44:41 pm
I was reading through the Cal Board to see what their fans think about this. most seem to think they are going after Chip Kelly. They also have a rumor that Sonny Dykes is headed to Ole Miss.

If Cal pulls Chip Kelly... I will be shocked.

ur

From ESPN.
There was also a belief that the department – which is running at a deficit of approximately $20 million a year – could not justify his buyout ($5.88 million). One way to explain today's strange timing is if the school now believes it can hire a coach whose salary would be offset by money owed by a previous employer, making the buyout doable. One such coach: former Oregon coach Chip Kelly, who was fired by the 49ers last week.

I bet there are some fans here who would be willing to pay for Cal's coach on the sideline next year in order to have SF pay for our coach on the sideline next year.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: sickboy on January 08, 2017, 03:23:54 pm

Many were shocked when Arkansas pulled Petrino

Hoggish1

King Kong

Quote from: rhog1 on January 08, 2017, 02:44:41 pm

Ole Piss only has a WR position open. What is Ole Piss going to do? Demote the guy they just hired as OC?

sickboy

Quote from: Hogwild on January 08, 2017, 02:31:58 pm
We was given an extension and new contract, but Cal's AD used his brain when he put the deal together-

Has anyone looked at the market buyout for an SEC coach? People are pissing and moaning about Long signing a bad contract, but look at the market. All these SEC coaches have huge buyouts. And Bielema's isn't even close to being as high as some other coaches in the SEC. Sure, I understand some fans wishing we didn't extend him... but the contract and money isn't really the true issue. Because his contract is pretty par for the course in the SEC right now.

sickboy

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 08, 2017, 03:45:11 pm
Many were shocked when Arkansas pulled Petrino

Hell, I was more shocked when we pulled Bielema away from his job.

Quote from: sickboy on January 08, 2017, 03:52:41 pm
Has anyone looked at the market buyout for an SEC coach? People are pissing and moaning about Long signing a bad contract, but look at the market. All these SEC coaches have huge buyouts. And Bielema's isn't even close to being as high as some other coaches in the SEC. Sure, I understand some fans wishing we didn't extend him... but the contract and money isn't really the true issue. Because his contract is pretty par for the course in the SEC right now.

All of these people complaining about the buyout would be livid if we hired the caliber of coach that would come without a sizable buyout. It's the way the game works now.

Hogwild

Quote from: sickboy on January 08, 2017, 03:52:41 pm

How many coaches had a 2-10 conference record when the got those extensions?

farmhawg

They are insane to have higher expectations.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

farmhawg

Quote from: sickboy on January 08, 2017, 03:53:41 pm
Hell, I was more shocked when we pulled Bielema away from his job.
it was a sad day for Arkansas football.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

LZH

BB is their #1 candidate.

No?

Well, I tried.

ricepig

1highhog

I hate to bust yawl's bubble now see here, but CBB is never going after a big name DC.  He's going to promote within or going to hire an unknown like Robb Smith was and still is, when and if the job ever comes available.

Dripping with sarcasm like sorghum syrup in winter time.

LZH

ur

Quote from: ricepig on January 08, 2017, 04:49:27 pm
Cal's debt, and the other top 10 schools with the largest athletic debt.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-01-04/college-football-s-top-teams-are-built-on-crippling-debt
Good article rice. I hope our expansion and apathy do not put us in that boat.

ChicoHog

Quote from: sickboy on January 08, 2017, 03:23:54 pm
I hope so.  Then I can really root for Stanford!

ricepig

Quote from: ur on January 08, 2017, 05:01:37 pm
Good article rice. I hope our expansion and apathy do not put us in that boat.

Our debt service is very manageable, and the PAC12 schools gets doodley for their TV packages. If we drop 5000 in season tickets, or seats that don't eventually get sold, then things are tighter for sure.

ChicoHog

Quote from: farmhawg on January 08, 2017, 04:27:03 pm
it was a sad day for Arkansas football.
Not at that time.  it was a pretty big name hire. 

Inhogswetrust

Nice...post of the day candidate!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

January 08, 2017, 05:45:59 pm #40 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:52:53 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: ricepig on January 08, 2017, 04:49:27 pm
Cal's debt, and the other top 10 schools with the largest athletic debt.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-01-04/college-football-s-top-teams-are-built-on-crippling-debt

Interesting article. The thing that stuck out to me was how many sports Cal has, 30. A school should be required to limit the number of sports IF they have a yearly deficit as they do. It's not how much debt a school has it's whether they can make the yearly payments on it. I say that, knowing some student athletes would have to get their school work paid in other ways. Some however don't need a scholarship, yet still get them in all sports across the country.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

clutch

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 08, 2017, 05:45:59 pm
Interesting article. The thing that stuck out to me was how many sports Cal has, 30. A school should be required to limit the number of sports IF they have a yearly deficit as they do. It's not how much debt a school has it's whether they can make the yearly payments on it. I say that, knowing some student athletes would have to get their school work paid in other ways. Some however don't need a scholarship, yet still get them in all sports across the country.

They could give those scholarships to other students and still save money by not having to fund the teams. Equipment, travel, facilities, etc., gets really expensive.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: King Kong on January 08, 2017, 03:50:53 pm
Ole Piss only has a WR position open. What is Ole Piss going to do? Demote the guy they just hired as OC?

I thought their new OC had already taken a new job?

ChicoHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 08, 2017, 05:45:59 pm
That's not even counting their most popular activity, protesting.  They will protest anything just to have something to complain about.