Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just an Observation

Started by Theolesnort, August 19, 2007, 07:09:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Theolesnort

I throughly enjoyed the scrimmage, the crossing patterns, slants and downfield passing. I saw a lot of young and upcoming talent and since the scrimmage was mostly for depth purposes some of them shined. What really got my attention was the true freshmen offensive linemen. In all my years as a obsever of Razorback football I have never seen a group as good as this one. Wow and I mean it. Very ,very big and athletic even though it is missing Zembia.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: Theolesnort on August 19, 2007, 07:09:41 am
I throughly enjoyed the scrimmage, the crossing patterns, slants and downfield passing. I saw a lot of young and upcoming talent and since the scrimmage was mostly for depth purposes some of them shined. What really got my attention was the true freshmen offensive linemen. In all my years as a obsever of Razorback football I have never seen a group as good as this one. Wow and I mean it. Very ,very big and athletic even though it is missing Zembia.

that's good to hear.  usually the kind of guys we get are 5 year projects and hope to play when they're 5th year seniors, but from the sounds of it, from what you're saying and the OL coach, they've got some guys who are physically more ready to play than they usually have.  I'd still say to redshirt them and let them mature in the weight room before feeding them to SEC DL's
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Theolesnort

You are correct about the redshirting. Even if they had Zembia I think they could have afforded to redshirt him too. That is how solid the offensive line people look. Lots of good looking redshirt frosh and sophs.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Tomhog™

Being able to redshirt the freshman is KEY to maintaining OL depth.  Having that extra year to develop and build muscle and the skill set of a lineman does wonders.  It's been a long time since Arkansas could afford to redshirt all of them, even the good ones.  I expect the running game to continue to be dominant with outstanding OL and RBs.  Arkansas is a run school. for sure.

tophawg19

i understood the line got pushed around pretty bad by the defense?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hawgballz

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 19, 2007, 11:44:44 am

Not the report I read, but it seems everyone sees things differently.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

WizardofhOgZ

I wasn't there, but that's not what I have gotten out of the various reports, both in the papers and on boards like this.  I remember Lee making a remark about the O line looking much, much better and giving up only one sack this scrimmage.  From watching the video on Razorzone (Hogwired), even our fourth string tailback (Wilkins) had some nice runs.

I think you may be mistaken - perhaps, reading comments from a previous practice/scrimmage??

tophawg19

several sacks and qb's getting hit. mostly second team but if #1 goes down # steps in . didn'tsound as if the #2's were ready .thanks

Theolesnort

It was a mixed bag. Mostly the reserves scrimmaged for depth purposes. We saw very little of the varsity. As I've said earlier I was impressed with the true frosh offensive line when they worked as a unit. They did some pushing back of their own.

tophawg19

good to hear the young pups are already fighting for time . sounds like they all came in ready to go.

Hogstocking

I watched it on hogwired last night and I agree about the Oline.  When Jim Hart and Crowell were playing side by side it is quite a site.  Those two are enormous.

Crosby Tuck was outstanding, IMO he is going to be a great WR for the hogs.  DJ Williams and Tejada were also impressive. 

Does anyone know whats up with the yellow helmets on special teams?

ntubjr

Oklahawg

Good to hear. Can't argue with Markuson's ability to get an OL ready to go.

Lots better athleticism than we are used to, as well.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra