Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Norvell

Started by snoot hoggy hog, September 16, 2017, 01:03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: Hawg Life on October 25, 2017, 01:25:43 pm
Some complain about Norvell’s 21 games as a HC, but would hire Venables who has ZERO head coaching experience. I don’t understand this train of thought. Hire Norvell!!!

I've made no complaints about Norvell whatsoever. I just prefer Venables.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Darren DeLoach

Norvell wouldn't upset me in the least, not that it matters what I think. Everything I read says high ceiling.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Hawg Life

Quote from: pigroots on October 25, 2017, 11:56:30 am
My biggest question is whether he is winning now because of what Fuentes did before him. Hard to tell since he's only been there 1 full year

Recruiting has improved since Fuente left. Paxton Lynch was Fuente's QB, and he's now gone. Ferguson is having plenty of success as a first year QB playing for Norvell. Norvell is a perfect fit.

The NewEra

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2017, 01:10:03 pm
Sounds to me like he's a slow starter.......

Yep, and I'll take that over what we have now.

TX HOG

If we hired Norvell the bulk of Razorback coaches would be at their 'dream jobs'

Paul

Quote from: Hawg Life on October 25, 2017, 01:41:59 pm
Recruiting has improved since Fuente left. Paxton Lynch was Fuente's QB, and he's now gone. Ferguson is having plenty of success as a first year QB playing for Norvell. Norvell is a perfect fit.
It's Riley Ferguson's 2nd year.  He started at Tennessee & was out of football before joining Memphis.  Memphis boosters have been rooting hard for BB to succeed this year & are resigned to the fact that he will leave after this year.

GolfHog

There were several reasons Bert was a bad hire. But, no one knew for sure until he had time on the job. Whatever you want to say about his 3 Rose Bowls, he had 'em. The right-up-an-comer will see this as a step to LSU or USC if he pulls it off. We need an incentive based contract for the unproven. There are no sure things out there coming to Arkansas. We make more sense as a stepping stone to the big time for a hungry ambitious youngster. Bert just found out he didn't have the talent. That's why the contract should be heavy on incentives, small buyout, 4 years only. You can't keep him if he does as well as we would like.

hogsanity

Quote from: TheGunther on October 25, 2017, 01:19:35 pm
His offensive system lends itself well to the talent coming out of Arkansas high-schools today.

Any system that is going to rely on in state talent is doomed to fail.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DoubleReedHawgCaller

;D
That's what she said....
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 11:24:15 am
The guy is from DFW.  He played in Arkansas.  His wife is from Ft. Smith.  Her brother lives in Fayetteville.  He has strong recruiting ties to Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.  He has let it be known to the point that it is openly talked about in Memphis that he considers Arkansas home and wants our job above all others.  And though he has only two years, he coached under Malzahn at Tulsa and after going 8-4 in his first year appears to be heading to 11-1 this year.

Do I need to draw a picture?
Didn't know this about his wife.  Do you know her maiden name by chance?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 25, 2017, 02:10:28 pm
Didn't know this about his wife.  Do you know her maiden name by chance?

Maria Navel

Her name is now Maria Navel-Norvell

East Clintwood

Depends on what you're comparing against.

Bert's slow starts usually lasted until the 6th or 7th game of the season.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfHog on October 25, 2017, 01:59:40 pm
There were several reasons Bert was a bad hire. But, no one knew for sure until he had time on the job. Whatever you want to say about his 3 Rose Bowls, he had 'em. The right-up-an-comer will see this as a step to LSU or USC if he pulls it off. We need an incentive based contract for the unproven. There are no sure things out there coming to Arkansas. We make more sense as a stepping stone to the big time for a hungry ambitious youngster. Bert just found out he didn't have the talent. That's why the contract should be heavy on incentives, small buyout, 4 years only. You can't keep him if he does as well as we would like.

There is no sure thing ANYWHERE for any school trying to hire.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

texas tush hog

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2017, 11:31:21 am
Most assume Frost goes to his alma mater.

Good assumption.

clutch

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 21, 2017, 11:20:38 pm
Venables was the Associate Head Coach for some of the years he was at OU.  He does have some head coaching experience thru being the Associate Head Coach at OU

No one else who is being considered can match the following that Venables has accomplished.

Venables has coached in 6 National Championship games (may be only 5 if the NC game that Southern Cal had to vacate is no longer considered as a NC game).

Venables has earned 2 National Championship rings.

In Venables' 21 years as a full-time Coach his teams have 21 winning seasons, and have won 10+ games 17 times.

Associate HC is nowhere close to actual HC experience. That's just a title to give to someone when you need to give them a pay raise.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 25, 2017, 02:18:33 pm
Good assumption.
That's why I don't spend much time talking about him. I think he's a great coach, but doubt that we'd have a shot if Nebraska calls him home.

jjdlc

I would take Norvell, I don't care about his inexperience.  Our current situation proves beyond a shadow of a doubt there are no sure fire hires in CFB.  Anybody with half a brain would look at CBBs resume when we hired him, and think that whatever school hired him made a heck of a hire.  However, we all know the outcome. 

hogsanity

Quote from: jjdlc on October 25, 2017, 02:24:53 pm
I would take Norvell, I don't care about his inexperience.  Our current situation proves beyond a shadow of a doubt there are no sure fire hires in CFB.  Anybody with half a brain would look at CBBs resume when we hired him, and think that whatever school hired him made a heck of a hire.  However, we all know the outcome. 

Again, I am not going to throw a fit if they hire Norvell, I just think those saying " he makes perfect sense " and he is exactly the kind of coach we need to win here are just being a bit over the top.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

clutch

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:19:49 am
I did not say that, I am just asking what people have seen that makes them love Norvell so much or say he makes "perfect sense".

There are lots of young coaches out there with the same or more experience than he has, yet few mention them.

My opinion of him comes mostly from seeing him at multiple coaching clinics. You can tell that the dude is sharp right away. He's energetic too. His offensive mind is incredible. You may watch him and just see a bunch of bubble screens, but there's a lot more to it. When he breaks it all down for you, you leave very impressed. Basically, he's very good at conflict theory. He has a conflicted defender in every play, and multiple ways to attack that conflicted defender out of every play call. Very challenging offense to stop if your QB can make the correct decisions.

hogcard1964

Quote from: jjdlc on October 25, 2017, 02:24:53 pm

A lot of people that were able to see him actually coach in games knew that he had issues before he came here.

hogsanity

Quote from: clutch on October 25, 2017, 02:30:03 pm
My opinion of him comes mostly from seeing him at multiple coaching clinics. You can tell that the dude is sharp right away. He's energetic too. His offensive mind is incredible. You may watch him and just see a bunch of bubble screens, but there's a lot more to it. When he breaks it all down for you, you leave very impressed. Basically, he's very good at conflict theory. He has a conflicted defender in every play, and multiple ways to attack that conflicted defender out of every play call. Very challenging offense to stop if your QB can make the correct decisions.

Probably 2 dozen young coaches out there just like him because that is what young coaches his age have been taught the last 10 years, and he is from the 1st generation of young coaches groomed in the spread era.

If all other things were the same, his energy,charisma, recruiting, etc, but he was running the I or the triple option no one here would mention him twice for the job.

FATHAWG08

I bet  Virginia Tech is glad they took a gamble on Justin Fuente as their HC with his only stop as a HC being Memphis.
I love off season Football!!

Wildhog

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 25, 2017, 02:40:10 pm
I bet  Virginia Tech is glad they took a gamble of Justin Fuente as their HC with his only stop as a HC being Memphis.

To be fair, Fuente built that Memphis program from scratch.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 02:33:26 pm
Probably 2 dozen young coaches out there just like him because that is what young coaches his age have been taught the last 10 years, and he is from the 1st generation of young coaches groomed in the spread era.

If all other things were the same, his energy,charisma, recruiting, etc, but he was running the I or the triple option no one here would mention him twice for the job.

Really? Im looking down the list of the top 25 and im not seeing a lot of 30 year old coaches (certainly not 24 of them) at non p5 schools on the list. I see one other than Norvell. 

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 02:40:50 pm
To be fair, Fuente built that Memphis program from scratch.
And Norvell looks to be reloading with his recruits.

Wildhog

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 25, 2017, 02:45:14 pm
And Norvell looks to be reloading with his recruits.

Sure, but I'm saying VaTech had more to judge on Fuente than what's available on Norvell.
1909/1964/1965/1977

texas tush hog

Quote from: Hawg Life on October 25, 2017, 01:41:59 pm

Riley Ferguson and Anthony Miller is the best passer-receiver combo I have seen this year and db Terrell T.J. Carter is the best freshman possibly in the entire nation and Norvell recruited him. He recruited and developed Ferguson and really improved Miller. I watched the Houston-Memphis game and until that game wanted Major Applewhite. Still high on Applewhite, but watching Norvell on the sideline, the way he performed, I'm convinced there is nobody else for our job.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 02:47:22 pm
Sure, but I'm saying VaTech had more to judge on Fuente than what's available on Norvell.

Exactly 4 full seasons after he took over a program that had won 1 and 2 games the prior 2 seasons. Norvell took over a program that had won 10 and 9 games the prior 2 years.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 02:47:22 pm
That's true. But it would have been so easy for them to have given the job to Bud Foster.

Paul

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 02:50:17 pm
Exactly 4 full seasons after he took over a program that had won 1 and 2 games the prior 2 seasons. Norvell took over a program that had won 10 and 9 games the prior 2 years.
no shot at Fuente...

hogsanity

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 25, 2017, 02:49:16 pm

I'm convinced there is nobody else for our job.

In a college football world with 128 other fbs hc's, some 250 fbs coordinators, not to even count nfl coordinators, or nfl or fbs position coaches, or fcs coaches, you watched one game in which his team fell far behind, and are convinced he is the only coach for the job. Really?

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 02:50:17 pm

Well Fuente isnt coming here. It wouldve been nice if he  would have come a few years back.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 11:50:04 am
Norvell's a solid fallback.  High risk-high reward.

How is he any different than Frost though?

Wildhog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 25, 2017, 02:54:28 pm

He got his ass beat by Frost?  :)

Frost took a program in shambles and has them undefeated so far in his second year.  Norvell took over a winning program and continued winning.  That's the difference.
1909/1964/1965/1977

texas tush hog

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on October 25, 2017, 02:51:31 pm
That's true. But it would have been so easy for them to have given the job to Bud Foster.

There is not a coaching prospect for us any better than Norvell and that includes Campbell who is headed to Tennessee.

hogsanity

Quote from: Paul on October 25, 2017, 02:53:21 pm
  no shot at Fuente...

Thats not what we were saying. We were saying VT hired Fuente with a much bigger picture than what we have of Norvell.

sickboy

Quote from: tusked on October 25, 2017, 11:45:33 am
Some of you guys are as lazy as BB.  Go google Todd Graham + Mike Norvell.

READ, it's fundamental.  Read the interviews, articles, comments by other coaches, media etc.   Hell if you're so fundamentally challenged there's even videos of the interviews and comments.

Some things that are very consistent about Norvell.  Very bright and intelligent.  Great recruiter (I've read this over and over) .  Great offensive mind.  The smartest guy in the room.  The skies the limit with this guy.

Apply yourselves more than BB coaches and you might learn something.

You can lead a horse to water but you .........

As a Ram's fan, these are the same things that were said about McVay before we hired him and the one knock was his youth and inexperience. In hindsight, McVay was an amazing hire.

Not saying the two men are synonymous, but when you tend to hear guys are the smartest in the room... those guys tend to pan out in some form.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Paul on October 25, 2017, 01:50:06 pm
It's Riley Ferguson's 2nd year.  He started at Tennessee & was out of football before joining Memphis.  Memphis boosters have been rooting hard for BB to succeed this year & are resigned to the fact that he will leave after this year.

It's Norvell's 2nd year too, so Ferguson is Norvell's QB.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 02:54:43 pm
He got his ass beat by Frost?  :)

Frost took a program in shambles and has them undefeated so far in his second year.  Norvell took over a winning program and continued winning.  That's the difference.

So, back to the one game agenda?? 

hawgon

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 25, 2017, 02:54:28 pm

Because he actually wants our job and his entire career, nay his entire life, from growing up in DFW to playing at UCA to coaching at Tulsa and Memphis, save only a short stint at Arizona State, has overlapped our recruiting area.

If a candidate was created in a lab for us and us alone, it would be hard to do better.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2017, 02:55:56 pm

I got my edit in.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 02:53:47 pm
In a college football world with 128 other fbs hc's, some 250 fbs coordinators, not to even count nfl coordinators, or nfl or fbs position coaches, or fcs coaches, you watched one game in which his team fell far behind, and are convinced he is the only coach for the job. Really?

If you only watched one of his games that would be pretty dumb to assume he would be the best candidate. No debating that.

Paul

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 02:54:51 pm
Thats not what we were saying. We were saying VT hired Fuente with a much bigger picture than what we have of Norvell.
I got that.  What I'm saying is all we have to gauge potential candidates is where they are now.  It's kinda like picking a wife: you can't play "what if' & wonder if your HS or college gf would've worked out better if you'd stuck with them

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2017, 02:55:56 pm
Yep I guess with that criteria we can only hire Saban. Whoops he got beat by Dabo last year I guess we keep Bret.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 02:57:38 pm
I got my edit in.

Very quick, you may have skills the Russkies are looking for.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 02:53:47 pm
I understand your cautious view but if the season plays out & Norvell has taken Memphis to a 10 plus season I feel Norvell should be considered a leading candidate.

hawgon

Man, he even could heal some wounds.  A big contingent of the boosters want an Arkansas man, while presumably Long and a few others might be wary of hiring someone like Malzahn who is too connected.  Enter, Norvell.  A guy who is Arkansas (the state) through and through but didn't go to Fayetteville so he isn't explicitly connected to any group.  He could bridge the gap and satisfy everyone.

We get someone who knows, loves, and appreciates our tradition and job.  But we also get someone who is a bit of an outsider and not too close to any group.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: go hogues on October 25, 2017, 01:04:19 pm
Plan A: Gauge Venables' interest
Plan B: Gauge Gus' interest
Plan C: Hire Norvell
Leave out plan B.

EFBAB

NashvilleHog

Memphis plays Tulane on Friday night at 7:00 PM on CBS Sports Network.  A bit of caution, the weather here in Memphis is supposed to be pretty crappy on Friday night.  80% chance of rain and cold. 

Might not be the best display of football in those conditions. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

The Hawg Marshal

It would make a lot of sense to hire Norvell which means we probably won't.