Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Norvell

Started by snoot hoggy hog, September 16, 2017, 01:03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinco de Hogo

You read threads like this and it's pretty evident what Arkansas problem is.  No identity, the people who want three yards and a loud of dust are fewer in numbers but louder(and richer) that the ones who want a balanced modern pro-style offense, and most simply don't know the difference.

If we get the young and hungry up and comer with the high flying offense(is there any different kind of hungry up and comer)he will be burnt at the stake each week because the other team scored. 

hogsanity

Quote from: theFlyingHog on October 10, 2017, 12:33:40 pm
I was on him after the UCLA win. But you aren't worth arguing with; you've basically stated that we will suck no matter what so it would be wonderful if you left HV and never came back

Never have I said that, I have said they can be a 8 win a year program, but if you are expecting 9+ every year you are in for disappointment time after time after time.

As for Norvell, what did you think of the pasting UCF gave them? Why are you not on Frost? Seems like you'd be after the guy who beat the guy you think is so good.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tusks

Quote from: clutch on October 10, 2017, 12:06:24 pm
He did inherit a good program after Fuente, however the offense he is running is totally his own. The guy can coach the heck out of some offense and there's absolutely no debating that. I've been listening to and talking to him at coaching clinics for a 3-4 years now. He's always the sharpest dude in the room. His RPO's are so hard to defend. If he has a QB that can make the reads he is going to put up tons of points every week no matter where he is.

I've been hoping that one day he would be the head hog since I first met him a few years ago. I know he hasn't proven much to a lot of people as a head coach, but I think we would be missing out on a really good one if we miss the boat.

I don't get some on this board.  The hogs are losing at an all time historic level.  At that point you might try something different.

The article I read about him recruiting Riley was very telling for me.  Riley threw for 8,000 yards in HS and he went with Norvell over the hogs.

Guys, football has changed and it's going to get even more and more pass heavy, it's not going back.  Might as well embrace it and try to do it better than anyone else.

Give Norvell the keys and let him try and build a defense while his offense is winning games.  The kid (he's 35) is going to be the next big thing and he'd love to coach on the hill.  Why fight the momentum?  Find the wave and then surf that sumbitch until you can't surf it no more.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Roaringboar

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 10, 2017, 12:22:54 pm
Honest question on Leach, has he ever built a O line or D line anywhere?  We watched a similiar system with Kelly at Oregon get destroyed by SEC type lines on both sides of the ball.

That's what I'm saying......Leach is a good coach I have no doubt, and Wazzou may actually win the Pac-12 and make the playoffs, but I just don't think they have what it takes to hang with the likes of 'Bama, Clemson, or Penn State........I mean, they would be the four seed probably facing an undefeated Bama, and I just can't see them getting past that terrifying O-line, or standing against that horrifying D-line......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Roaringboar on October 10, 2017, 02:41:38 pm
That's what I'm saying......Leach is a good coach I have no doubt, and Wazzou may actually win the Pac-12 and make the playoffs, but I just don't think they have what it takes to hang with the likes of 'Bama, Clemson, or Penn State........I mean, they would be the four seed probably facing an undefeated Bama, and I just can't see them getting past that terrifying O-line, or standing against that horrifying D-line......

Isn't this the same thing we heard all the Petrino years?  As long as Bama is riding the current wave it isn't an option for us to compete with THEM.  On that much I agree with the ones who point to our recruiting disadvantages but there is no reason we shouldn't expect the next best thing.  The way there is a high flying offense coupled with the best defense we can field.

SultanofSwine

Was talking to a buddy in Memphis over the weekend and he said they have 9 defensive starters out injured. I'm not sure of the timing of those injuries but that might have had something to do with the UCF game.

I would be good with Norvell, Frost or Leach.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: SultanofSwine on October 10, 2017, 03:34:57 pm
Was talking to a buddy in Memphis over the weekend and he said they have 9 defensive starters out injured. I'm not sure of the timing of those injuries but that might have had something to do with the UCF game.

I would be good with Norvell, Frost or Leach.
The only drawback to Frost would be , how long til Nebraska comes calling. There is a good chance they fire Riley this year and I would think that they'd get first shot at Frost. And if they were to keep Riley for another year, but things go bad, they could call Frost home  and we'd be needing a coach again.

SultanofSwine

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 10, 2017, 03:39:58 pm
The only drawback to Frost would be , how long til Nebraska comes calling. There is a good chance they fire Riley this year and I would think that they'd get first shot at Frost. And if they were to keep Riley for another year, but things go bad, they could call Frost home  and we'd be needing a coach again.

Needing one now is a higher priority than needing one then.

Roaringboar

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 10, 2017, 03:28:45 pm
Isn't this the same thing we heard all the Petrino years?  As long as Bama is riding the current wave it isn't an option for us to compete with THEM.  On that much I agree with the ones who point to our recruiting disadvantages but there is no reason we shouldn't expect the next best thing.  The way there is a high flying offense coupled with the best defense we can field.

This isn't the next best thing though, because there are more schools than Alabama in the SEC......let's face it, what's ripping us apart right now at the seams is the fact Bert hasn't developed an O-line or D-line that's worth anything.......those are our two biggest things that stand out to everybody every game......Leach would fall prey to the same issues....the Pac-12 isn't a big, physical league......it's very much about finesse and speed, centered on passing more than anything else unless you're maybe Stanford.......Leach is a good coach for where he's at, just like he was with Texas Tech because when he was in the Big 12 it wasn't a real physical league either, but let's face it, when it comes to the SEC, these guys would eat some of the Pac-12 players for breakfeast.......it's just, Leach would take a large sum to bring him in I feel, somewhere around 4-5 million like what we're paying Bert now, and we would be looking at a LONG rebuild because Leach is an Air-Raid guy.......he's great where he's at, but it wouldn't work here......
Let's all get aboard the LANE TRAIN BABY!!!! CHOOO-CHOOO!!!

NashvilleHog

Tom Herman coached 2 years at Houston (his only HC experience) and won off what Briles and Sumlin built. 

He was the hottest coach last year.  Norvell is in the same mold.  We would be lucky to have Norvell and his offense. It's exciting to watch
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

#1 STUNNA

Read where Norvell in one season has signed 7 of the top 20 players ever to go to Memphis. Fuente only signed 1.

NashvilleHog

Norvell just signed Memphis' best ever recruiting class last year.  He's young, runs a dynamic offense.  What's not to like?

I also see where people criticize his loss to UCF this year...I remember when Petrino got run by LSU.  It happens. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

cosmodrum

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 10, 2017, 10:30:08 am
Exactly what we need. Young, energetic, with something to prove. No more multimillionaire retreads.

Hire him or someone like him yesterday and give a short leash with actual winning expectations. If it doesn't work out fire him in 2/3 years max and try again.

I agree with most of that, but a program like AR can't go firing people after just 2-3 years.
Go away, batin'

WPS007

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 10, 2017, 12:26:54 pm
Frost likely goes to Nebraska if they want him and if a change is made there. It looks like there will be.

I like Frost

Bkhardicars

I'd like to see him have a couple of more years under him, but he is an impressive guy.I watched them beat UCLA a few weeks back and he was aggressively coaching and animated throughout the game.

NashvilleHog

Quote from: Bkhardicars on October 10, 2017, 07:29:03 pm
I'd like to see him have a couple of more years under him, but he is an impressive guy.I watched them beat UCLA a few weeks back and he was aggressively coaching and animated throughout the game.

We aren't in a position to demand years and years of coaching experience...IMO.  We have played our way into complete irrelevance and someone like Norvell would check a lot of boxes.

onebadrubi

Quote from: NashvilleHog on October 10, 2017, 05:14:03 pm
Tom Herman coached 2 years at Houston (his only HC experience) and won off what Briles and Sumlin built. 

He was the hottest coach last year.  Norvell is in the same mold.  We would be lucky to have Norvell and his offense. It's exciting to watch

Resumes are deeper than 2 years.  Herman has a completely better resume, he also had a D.C. That is recognized as very good going with him.  Different t scenario completely.

onebadrubi

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on October 10, 2017, 05:50:53 pm
Read where Norvell in one season has signed 7 of the top 20 players ever to go to Memphis. Fuente only signed 1.

These are the types of things good for Arkansas.  I just am not getting on the band wagon after such a short tenure. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: NashvilleHog on October 10, 2017, 07:12:42 pm
Norvell just signed Memphis' best ever recruiting class last year.  He's young, runs a dynamic offense.  What's not to like?

I also see where people criticize his loss to UCF this year...I remember when Petrino got run by LSU.  It happens.

Can't look at one game for either the positive or negative.  Bielema could use Florida for example doing that.  We could come back and say WTH happened with USC or auburn.

The Hawg Marshal

First off let me preface by saying I don't care for Gus and I don't want him to be the coach at Arkansas, but I remember when we were looking for a coach after Nutt, and somebody said "If we don't hire Gus he'll get a job at another SEC school and beat us. Now that Gus is at Auburn I doubt that there is any way you could get him to Arkansas. Fast forward to now,  I'd be willing to take a chance on Norvell before Tennessee or some other team we play gets him and he beats our brains in like Gus does.lol

navyhog24

Norvell hasn't done anything. At least look for coaches that have built programs up from the ground up. Those are the kinds we need here especially after the dumpster fire that Bert will leave behind.

Hogtimes

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 10, 2017, 10:05:11 am
Todd Graham said he is the best assistant coach that ever worked under him. His past assistants include Chad Morris and Gus Malzahn

When Tulsa was looking for a coach two years ago, since he was a former TU assistant coach under Graham, his name was mentioned and  some TU fans  were opposed to hiring him.  I do not recall the exact reasons given.

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

The Hogfather

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on October 10, 2017, 05:50:53 pm

We'll see how it turns out.  That one and the other "scrubs" Fuente signed sure turned out ro be pretty darn good, especially for a program like Memphis.  I can't help but feel like Norvell is the Stan Heath of football.  The hot new name who demands a high salary, hasn't really done shiz, and flames out after a couple of years at a new school.

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 10, 2017, 10:20:06 pm
We'll see how it turns out.  That one and the other "scrubs" Fuente signed sure turned out ro be pretty darn good, especially for a program like Memphis.  I can't help but feel like Norvell is the Stan Heath of football.  The hot new name who demands a high salary, hasn't really done shiz, and flames out after a couple of years at a new school.

Just saying it sounds like Norvell will be able to have continued success while at memphis.. that happens when you can recruit and coach.

I would be happy with Norvell and give him the budget for a high end DC.

Tusks

Quote from: Karma on October 11, 2017, 10:55:42 pm
I would be happy with Norvell and give him the budget for a high end DC.

He could bring his old HC, Graham, from his time at ASU to be DC.  He's probably going to be done after the end of the season.

Graham said Norvell was the best AC he's had and one of the best AC he's ever been around.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The Hawg Marshal

Is Norvell the guy we need? I honestly don't know. But I look at it like this. Not many years ago freshmen rarely played. You kept them on the bench or even red shirted them to let them get some seasoning. Now days if you have really good freshmen you let them play right away, because if you don't you may not get but 1 or 2 years out of them before they go pro. Philon is an example. In this day and age coaches are similar. Lots of schools want to win really bad and are willing to take a chance on the up and coming star over re-treads that you pretty much know the ceiling on. Take Gus for example, he did one year as a head coach, in the SUNBELT of all places and Auburn said hey let's take a chance that he can do the job here. Somebody is going to take that same chance on Norvell, and he may fail, but he may also be the next big coaching star. I'd much rather take a chance on a guy like him as some re-tread. Schools don't wait 10 years to see if a coach is going to work out anymore. Look at Nebraska, they are already regretting hiring Riley. And I'll bet ya they call Frost home sooner than later. jmo

PLHawg

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 11, 2017, 11:43:01 pm
Is Norvell the guy we need? I honestly don't know. But I look at it like this. Not many years ago freshmen rarely played. You kept them on the bench or even red shirted them to let them get some seasoning. Now days if you have really good freshmen you let them play right away, because if you don't you may not get but 1 or 2 years out of them before they go pro. Philon is an example. In this day and age coaches are similar. Lots of schools want to win really bad and are willing to take a chance on the up and coming star over re-treads that you pretty much know the ceiling on. Take Gus for example, he did one year as a head coach, in the SUNBELT of all places and Auburn said hey let's take a chance that he can do the job here. Somebody is going to take that same chance on Norvell, and he may fail, but he may also be the next big coaching star. I'd much rather take a chance on a guy like him as some re-tread. Schools don't wait 10 years to see if a coach is going to work out anymore. Look at Nebraska, they are already regretting hiring Riley. And I'll bet ya they call Frost home sooner than later. jmo

I agree 100%.  The days of waiting to hire a coach until he has a "body of work" are over with.  If you're going to wait for a dynamic, successful coach to get 5 or 6 years under their belt you're going to lose out on them because another P5 program is going to take a chance. Norvell falls in that camp, because I can pretty much guarantee you he won't be at Memphis next year, whether we take a chance on him or someone else does.

ipigsooie

I agree 100%. Hire this guy. Its funny how peole keep asking for a guy that built a program from the ground up and has experience for multiple years. 1. If a guy has been at a non p5 school for multiple years, there is a reason  no p5 school has hired. 2. A guy that builds up a p5 school and has been there for years isnt coming to arkansas.

Look at so many really good coaches around the country. They were all either coordinators or were hired from non p5 conference schools with 2 or less years at that school. Urban meyer, gus, kirby smart, jimbo fisher, dabo....i could go all day. Take a chance on a guy with Arkansas roots,  a great recruiter,  an offensive mind and a really likable guy. Also, when he does succeed we know that he is in his destination job and we dont have to worry about him running off for Notre Dame or anywhere else.  This is the safest hire and the ine that would unify our fan base and bring excitement back to the program.

BigK_HogHeaven

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 10, 2017, 10:30:08 am
Exactly what we need. Young, energetic, with something to prove. No more multimillionaire retreads.

Hire him or someone like him yesterday and give a short leash with actual winning expectations. If it doesn't work out fire him in 2/3 years max and try again.

I really like the idea of hiring Mike Norvell and trying to get Lashlee as the OC.  Both of those guys have coached under Gus and Lashlee is from Springdale.  We need to get some Arkansas guys back on the coaching staff.  I'm tired of coaches that don't know tradition

DeltaBoy

We just need to hit the Memphis area harder in recruiting.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The Hogfather

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 11, 2017, 11:43:01 pm

There are guys who have already proven much more than Norvell in my opinion that we could get for the same amount, like Frost, Brohm, Morris, etc.  It isn't simply that we Norvell naysayers don't understand how the industry works now.  It is that we don't think Norvell is worth the money he would demand right now.  Others are more worthy.

ipigsooie

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 12, 2017, 11:37:56 am
There are guys who have already proven much more than Norvell in my opinion that we could get for the same amount, like Frost, Brohm, Morris, etc.  It isn't simply that we Norvell naysayers don't understand how the industry works now.  It is that we don't think Norvell is worth the money he would demand right now.  Others are more worthy.
While i dont disagree with your top 3 i just dont know how realistic it is. 1. Frost is a nebraska alumn and their boards are all over trying to get him out of ucf. He would be a good hire but i think he would choose nebraska. 2. Brohm is a successful big 10 coach.. maybe he comes maybe not but we already tried the successful big 10 coach route. 3. Morris is good but norvell is better imo. Graham even said he was his best coordinator. Better than morris or malzahn. Also i hear a lot about morris and a&m flirting.

PLHawg

I like the names you mentioned also, I just don't think Frost or Brohm are gonna happen.  If the Nebraska job comes open, Frost is as good as gone, and I just don't see Brohm leaving after only one year at Purdue without offering him a king's ransom.  We're not in a position of strength right now, we're damaged goods and we're going to have to offer even an up and comer a sizable sum to come here.

The Hawg Marshal

I hear ya. The coaches you mentioned are all good options. But Frost is rumored to be next in line at his alma mater Nebraska. Some feel Brohm wouldn't leave Purdue after one year. And Morris was the favorite to take Sumlins place at aTm., and although they are doing well now, we all know Sumlin's history. Thus the guy with Arkansas roots is appealing to me because I doubt he would leave in a year or two. We are going to need stability and any of the other coaches could leave early if a destination job opened up.

hogsanity

Can anyone tell us why Norvell is getting so much love? What has he done as a HC that warrants it?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on October 12, 2017, 11:52:47 am
Can anyone tell us why Norvell is getting so much love? What has he done as a HC that warrants it?
1. Recruit 2. Win big games 3. Great offensive mind.

With young up and coming coaches you look at what they did as coordinators as well. Its like playing futures in the stock market.

DoctorSusscrofa

Whoever said we should hire the Memphis coach doesn't know how to evaluate coaches. They should be fired. He's getting skunked.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

(notOM)Rebel123

Geez. So you are losing a game & that eliminates you from consideration? Good luck with that approach.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

menace_hawg3

So do they have to be undefeated in order to be our coach?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on October 19, 2017, 08:34:06 pm

Evidently...

ricepig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 19, 2017, 08:33:45 pm
Geez. So you are losing a game & that eliminates you from consideration? Good luck with that approach.

Yes, HV has very high standards for our perspective coaches, we'll probably be able to find some guy right out of college that had a perfect record as the 7th grade coach. It's my understanding they are burning the midnight oil in BWA, searching on MaxPreps for such a guy.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Gotta admit, that was a dick move by houstons coach to ice the kicker 3 times in a row and wear his leg out. It was smart, but still a dick move
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

factchecker

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 19, 2017, 08:33:45 pm

They got destroyed by UCF 13-40 as well.

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on October 19, 2017, 08:34:06 pm

I think Norvell is a good coach but he is young.  I think some people wanted him simply because he's a purple bear or because of his offensive style.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ipigsooie

Dumbest thread possibly ever. Eliminate Dabo Sweeney, Mike leach, urban Meyer, and pretty much every coach not named Nick saban. I mean really?

jkstock04

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 19, 2017, 08:29:36 pm
Whoever said we should hire the Memphis coach doesn't know how to evaluate coaches. They should be fired. He's getting skunked.
Love the Hogville knee jerk. How many times has Bielema been smoked while here and we are probably going to keep him for eternity.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 19, 2017, 08:39:44 pm
Gotta admit, that was a dick move by houstons coach to ice the kicker 3 times in a row and wear his leg out. It was smart, but still a dick move

Bryant, West Memphis, NLR, Bentonville West, & Greenwood are all undefeated. Surely one of those guys would take the job?

factchecker

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 19, 2017, 08:41:49 pm
Bielema been smoked while here and we are probably going to keep him for eternity.

Better than Bielema is not good enough.  You sure have high standards until it comes to somebody else's team.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ipigsooie

Toolbag doesn't even know his name. Just "Memphis coach" sans the apostrophe. Good lord.