Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Norvell

Started by snoot hoggy hog, September 16, 2017, 01:03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhogs

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:59:52 am
That was kind of my point, no coaching hire " makes perfect sense ". People are acting like it is a slam dunk that Norvell would come in here and start winning a t a good clip. He might, heck he might come here and win a NC, but his hire does not "make perfect sense" because he has 21 games as a HC, has not yet had to play with a team that was all his own recruits.
Of course there is no such thing as a slam dunk unless his name is Saban. What is a slam dunk though is that CBB is not the answer @ AR.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

je100

Two things I like about him.  Being from Arkansas, he's less likely to leave if we do well on his watch, and being unproven, he's easier to get rid of if we don't.

Redhogs

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 12:02:03 pm
Most, or maybe all of that except the brother in Fay, sounds just like Gus.
Maybe, but younger and without the baggage.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Tusks

Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 11:49:39 am
He reminds me of a young Urban Myer.

You might be onto something with that.

He could win some games with his offense while building a defense.   Graham is a defensive coach and  is one of his mentors, so I don't think he'll ignore the D.

You gotta win some games to get a positive vibe about the program while you try to build a complete team.  He can do that.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PLHawg

Any hire is gonna be a risk, but what is obvious is that we need to do a 180 from what we currently have.  Whoever comes in HAS to have a dynamic offensive mind.  We HAVE to be able to score points - if that means we win some games 45 - 38 so be it, or at least until we get more defensive personnel recruited.  Exciting offensive football, even if we lose some games, will keep the fans engaged and keep selling tickets.  I believe Norvell has one of the best young offensive minds in college football right now.  I'm NOT saying we need to let the defense go to the wayside - far from it - but even if we have a defense that is struggling in a particular year, but our offense can light up the scoreboard, it at least gives us a chance.

HogFansReunited

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 11:50:04 am
Norvell's a solid fallback.  High risk-high reward.

It's seems like we always agree. I think Norvell has a lot of upside but it is still a shot in the dark because we don't have enough information to form a solid opinion. If we can't land a proven coach, Norvell would be my choice.

I still hope we find a way to win this year bit after the South Carolina game, I doubt we have the coaching to do it.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Matt Burks

Quote from: elviscat on October 25, 2017, 12:00:35 pm
The guy is from DFW.  He played in Arkansas.  His wife is from Ft. Smith.  Her brother lives in Fayetteville.  He has strong recruiting ties to Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.  He has let it be known to the point that it is openly talked about in Memphis that he considers Arkansas home and wants our job above all others.  And though he has only two years, he coached under Malzahn at Tulsa and after going 8-4 in his first year appears to be heading to 11-1 this year.

Do I need to draw a picture?

Sir, you are dead on. He would be a great coach and recruiter for our program. He has done a great job of getting kid Memphis. He knows talent and he recruits kids that are fast and can play at any level.
He also was the OC at Arizona State for a couple of years before heading to Memphis and Graham said he's the best coordinator he's ever had.

hawgon

Still, knowing Jeff Long I can't help but have the feeling that we are giving the guy the kiss of death by talking him up so heavily on this board.

jgphillips3

Look, Norvell might be lightning in a bottle or a bad choice.  He has a hell of a lot more upside than some retreads.  Our next coach is going to be an up and comer.  He's as good as several others.

hogsanity

Quote from: PLHawg on October 25, 2017, 12:06:37 pm
Any hire is gonna be a risk, but what is obvious is that we need to do a 180 from what we currently have.  Whoever comes in HAS to have a dynamic offensive mind.  We HAVE to be able to score points - if that means we win some games 45 - 38 so be it, or at least until we get more defensive personnel recruited.  Exciting offensive football, even if we lose some games, will keep the fans engaged and keep selling tickets.  I believe Norvell has one of the best young offensive minds in college football right now.  I'm NOT saying we need to let the defense go to the wayside - far from it - but even if we have a defense that is struggling in a particular year, but our offense can light up the scoreboard, it at least gives us a chance.

Hogs averaged 36ppg in 2015, 30 ppg in 2016, and 27 in 2014. They won several games in which they just outscored people. Defense has been a problem here for a long time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Tusks

Here's my limb I'm claiming out on. 

He reminds me a little of the Nolan hire.  He's sitting in the Hogs backyard, Memphis, while Nolan was sitting in Tulsa.

He might have the 'it' factor like Nolan seemed to have at the time of his hire.

Ok, feel free to saw off.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 12:11:34 pm
Still, knowing Jeff Long I can't help but have the feeling that we are giving the guy the kiss of death by talking him up so heavily on this board.

My biggest fear is he goes after a "name."  Someone that's had some success in a better situation than Arkansas, a la Bielema.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PLHawg

If you can recruit to Memphis you can recruit anywhere.  Not just talking about the city, but the facilities - the Liberty Bowl, etc.  I lived over there for a few years - the Garden of Eden it ain't.

PLHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 12:11:46 pm
Hogs averaged 36ppg in 2015, 30 ppg in 2016, and 27 in 2014. They won several games in which they just outscored people. Defense has been a problem here for a long time.

So by your logic you're saying we should just keep CBB?

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Norvell it is!! Dilly Dilly!!!
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Tusks

Quote from: PLHawg on October 25, 2017, 12:14:37 pm

The ignore button is a 'beautiful' feature.

Hoggie17

Quote from: elviscat on October 25, 2017, 12:00:35 pm
The guy is from DFW.  He played in Arkansas.  His wife is from Ft. Smith.  Her brother lives in Fayetteville.  He has strong recruiting ties to Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.  He has let it be known to the point that it is openly talked about in Memphis that he considers Arkansas home and wants our job above all others.  And though he has only two years, he coached under Malzahn at Tulsa and after going 8-4 in his first year appears to be heading to 11-1 this year.

Do I need to draw a picture?

Sir, you are dead on. He would be a great coach and recruiter for our program. He has done a great job of getting kid Memphis. He knows talent and he recruits kids that are fast and can play at any level.
I would like a HC that Arkansas is a destination job.  That's something to consider.

hawgon

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 12:13:03 pm
My biggest fear is he goes after a "name."  Someone that's had some success in a better situation than Arkansas, a la Bielema.

I want someone who is hungry.  The risk with a big name guy is that when things get tough he says, "Screw it.  I'm so and so, I've got nothing to prove to these hicks."

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 12:18:00 pm
I want someone who is hungry.  The risk with a big name guy is that when things get tough he says, "Screw it.  I'm so and so, I've got nothing to prove to these hicks."

Agreed.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogsanity

No, I was just pointing out we have already been trying to just outscore people. Everyone wants to focus on offense because it is what puts rears in the seats, but defense was, is and always will be what turns good season into great ones.

People keep talking about what a great job Patterson is doing  at TCU, which is true. They are doing it with DEFENSE. They have 2 shutouts, and tow more games where they have given up 7 or fewer points this year and are giving up only 15 ppg. Would the Hogs be 2-5 if they were only giving up 15 a game? Not likely.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ipigsooie

Are you trying to prove a point? Those were his best 3 years. So yeah I will take some 7 or 8 win seasons sprinkled in with some 10+ win seasons. Offense doesn't win all games but it doesn't hurt either.

hawgon

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 12:18:36 pm
Agreed.

Or even worse, you get somebody on the tail end who is just looking for one last big payday to set up his grandchildren.

The NewEra

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 12:18:59 pm
No, I was just pointing out we have already been trying to just outscore people. Everyone wants to focus on offense because it is what puts rears in the seats, but defense was, is and always will be what turns good season into great ones.

People keep talking about what a great job Patterson is doing  at TCU, which is true. They are doing it with DEFENSE. They have 2 shutouts, and tow more games where they have given up 7 or fewer points this year and are giving up only 15 ppg. Would the Hogs be 2-5 if they were only giving up 15 a game? Not likely.

You're spot on about the need for a great defense.  Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, A&M all have very good defenses and that's been our Achilles Heel.  Whether it means hiring a defensive coach or not is up for debate, but whoever comes in needs to be committed to having a stellar defense and defensive coach who attacks.

Rocket23

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:11:45 am
Cause you can tell so much from 21 games as a HC.

If it will bite you as a pup, it will be a dang good dog when it grows up.

hogblitz

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 12:00:43 pm
Just remember, to have a great big comeback win, you have to have been down by a great big amount. Cant survive doing that very often.
Well, it would be nice to have a coach that knows how to make adjustments.  We haven't had that in 5 years. 

ipigsooie

Quote from: The NewEra on October 25, 2017, 12:24:11 pm
You're spot on about the need for a great defense.  Bama, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, A&M all have very good defenses and that's been our Achilles Heel.  Whether it means hiring a defensive coach or not is up for debate, but whoever comes in needs to be committed to having a stellar defense and defensive coach who attacks.

There are only so many ways to scheme a defense. Imo defenses are built with dudes and not x's and o's. Usually the teams with dominating defenses are doing it because they dominate recruiting. Those teams you listed are perfect examples.   

The NewEra

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 25, 2017, 12:29:56 pm
There are only so many ways to scheme a defense. Imo defenses are built with dudes and not x's and o's. Usually the teams with dominating defenses are doing it because they dominate recruiting. Those teams you listed are perfect examples.

Arkansas has had some pretty good defenses in the past.  Every one of them attacked and none where made of 4-5* talent.

EastArkHog 47

Norvell is probably the best coach out there that we can get, he may be a risk but so is anyone else who is hired. He is from the South and is familiar with the SEC even though he hasn't coached there but he knows football day in the South is like a holy day where they cut your throat and drink your blood.
Bielema and Long think football in the South is champagne, white table cloths, silverware and a coat & tie (windbreaker & draw string for BB) occasion. Bielema started of slow when he came to Fayetteville and slowly tapered off and not in weight.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 25, 2017, 11:22:43 am
I like Norvell as well. Time to roll the dice with some up and comer. Just don't want a one hit wonder like Stan Heath.

same here, but heath is a bad comparison. he was walk-up ball all the way.

the new guys; they're getting after it and they seem to hustle and work hard. if you watch them you can sense urgency; something to prove.
The rest of the frog.

NashvilleHog

Quote from: TexasRazorback on October 25, 2017, 11:28:40 am
I would hate this hire. He has no experience coaching in a power 5 Conference. yes he has a great offensive mind but he neglects defense, he'd be in way over his head. He is not ready for the SEC and he is not a proven recruiter.

No experience as an HC or an AC?  He was an Assistant Coach under Todd Graham at Arizona State.  As for coaches who have been successful in the SEC with no HC experience in a P5 conference I point to:

Urban Meyer
James Franklin
Kevin Sumlin
Hugh Freeze (won a NYD bowl, beat Alabama twice)
Gus Malzahn
Mark Richt

That's just to name a few.
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:11:45 am
Cause you can tell so much from 21 games as a HC.
I don't think I've ever seen you post anything that isn't negative or condescending. Eat a snickers or something man!  :D
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Paul

Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 12:18:00 pm
a la Danny Ford

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:14:27 am
And just how does Norvell " make perfect sense "? He has never had to coach a team with all his own players. He has 21 games of HC experience, none at a p5 school. So how does that make perfect sense?

He's done well coaching others, which is what he'd have to do here for a few years. His focus tends to be on QB and WR play. Which we have tons of young talent available. Norvell would be a good hire.

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 12:11:46 pm

2015 - scored 48 against UTEP. 63 against UT-Martin. Had two OT games in which we scored 53 and 52.
2016 - 42 against TX State. 52 against Alcorn St.

Defense has been a problem, agreed. But having a potent, quick strike, score as much as you can offense is what fits best for us, imo.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 25, 2017, 12:45:57 pm
I don't think I've ever seen you post anything that isn't negative or condescending. Eat a snickers or something man!  :D

I knew an old man like him where I grew up.  He used to fire a bb gun at kids that walked across his lawn.

ricepig

hogsanity

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 25, 2017, 12:52:20 pm

Defense has been a problem, agreed. But having a potent, quick strike, score as much as you can offense is what fits best for us, imo.

In other words, if we are going 7-5 or 8-4 it might as well be exciting.

NashvilleHog

Memphis is currently #15 in the NCAA in total offense.  492 ypg.  Arkansas is #99 at 360 ypg.  Granted, Arkansas plays Alabama every year, but our offense has been pretty putrid, due to our O-line.  I think Norvell would light it up here and would have an exciting offense. 

The other thing that bugs me is that everyone talks about Norvell playing with Fuente's recruits.  While that is true, to a point, Norvell has held the program together and improved it.  How often do you see a dropoff after a coach leaves and a new one comes in? 

The last thing I'll note, Memphis has no facilities to speak of.  They are building an indoor facility, but the other day out in the rain here, they were out practicing in it.  Think of what a coach like Norvell can do with our facilities. 
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

CDBHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 12:56:57 pm
In other words, if we are going 7-5 or 8-4 it might as well be exciting.

Short answer. Yes.

I think 8-4 will more than likely be the best average we can hope for over a HC's tenure here. Get the right guy and it can be more, sure. I'd take an average of 8-4 with some 10-3, 11-2, 9-4, mixed in there. Who knows, keep knocking on that 10 win door and some things can happen.

go hogues

Plan A: Gauge Venables' interest
Plan B: Gauge Gus' interest
Plan C: Hire Norvell
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

RexMentor

Norvell would certainly be on my short list, probably No. 1. I don't care how many games he's had as a HC, but I care very much how successful he's been in those games.

HoggieStyle

Memphis was tied with UConn 21-21 at halftime and won 70-31.

They were down 17-0 to Houston at halftime and won 42-38.

For all the squawk around here (and rightly so) about halftime adjustments.....I mean, I'm sold on the guy.

GuvHog

Quote from: go hogues on October 25, 2017, 01:04:19 pm
Plan A: Gauge Venables' interest (and if he wants the job, hire him on the spot)
Plan B: Gauge Gus' interest (but don't hire him)
Plan C: Hire Norvell (if Venables turns the job down)
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ricepig

Quote from: HoggieStyle on October 25, 2017, 01:09:23 pm
Memphis was tied with UConn 21-21 at halftime and won 70-31.

They were down 17-0 to Houston at halftime and won 42-38.

For all the squawk around here (and rightly so) about halftime adjustments.....I mean, I'm sold on the guy.

Sounds to me like he's a slow starter.......

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The NewEra on October 25, 2017, 11:57:43 am
When you look across the coaching landscape of hires for the past decade there doesn't appear to be any successful model.

At this point I'm willing to roll the dice with him.  Too many other programs are going to be hiring coaches this year for us to compete on an even playing field.  If he doesn't work out then it will have been no worse than the status quo.  I just want to see the next coach hire a defensive guru and be afforded the money to bring in the best staff SEC money can attract.

Outstanding point! Moreso than just the past decade though. I would welcome any incoming coach. I can think on none that wouldn't have some question mark of some sort. That being said I'm always willing to give them a fair amount of time.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgon

I swear, the dumbest thing Bert ever said, was in that first year or two when he was talking about Auburn.  He said something like, "Auburn has a system to where their offense is such that they have found a way to win at a high level without having an elite defense.  That will never happen at Arkansas."

That statement let me know for sure that he had no idea what he was doing.  He cared more about Bert ball than he did winning.  A guy like Norvell is what we need here.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 12:00:43 pm
Just remember, to have a great big comeback win, you have to have been down by a great big amount. Cant survive doing that very often.
You make it sound like he does that every game. He doesn't.But it's nice to know he can adjust  and make things happen in the second half. Nobody wins them all, I just want a guy who can win his share.

TheGunther

His offensive system lends itself well to the talent coming out of Arkansas high-schools today.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

Hawg Life

Quote from: go hogues on October 25, 2017, 01:04:19 pm
Plan A: Gauge Venables' interest
Plan B: Gauge Gus' interest
Plan C: Hire Norvell

Some complain about Norvell's 21 games as a HC, but would hire Venables who has ZERO head coaching experience. I don't understand this train of thought. Hire Norvell!!!

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: Hawg Life on October 25, 2017, 01:25:43 pm
Some complain about Norvell’s 21 games as a HC, but would hire Venables who has ZERO head coaching experience. I don’t understand this train of thought. Hire Norvell!!!

I would hire Norvell over Venables. To have success here you need to have an offensive minded HC IMO.