Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Norvell

Started by snoot hoggy hog, September 16, 2017, 01:03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: tusked on October 25, 2017, 11:12:36 am
He's been one of my top picks for a bit.  I'm just skeptical because I have yet to see JL do anything that makes perfect sense.

And just how does Norvell " make perfect sense "? He has never had to coach a team with all his own players. He has 21 games of HC experience, none at a p5 school. So how does that make perfect sense?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:11:45 am
Cause you can tell so much from 21 games as a HC.

After almost 12 years, still waiting on the first positive, non-phallic post from you. I'm beginning to doubt you have the capacity.

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

ipigsooie

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:14:27 am
And just how does Norvell " make perfect sense "? He has never had to coach a team with all his own players. He has 21 games of HC experience, none at a p5 school. So how does that make perfect sense?

Not at all. Lets hire a guy with 92 games experience at a p5 school .

ipigsooie

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 25, 2017, 11:15:06 am

After almost 12 years, still waiting on the first positive, non-phallic post from you. I'm beginning to doubt you have the capacity.

Plus his argument is just downright dumb. We can inly hire a coach with more than 2 years experience at a p5 school that is currently successful. That really limits the choices.

JoeyCapital

Non phallic? Brilliant!
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

PLHawg

Dude, what's your agenda against this guy?  Every thread where his name is mentioned you have to get on dogging him about his lack of HC experience, or how all this guys does is 30 bubble screens a game, blah, blah, blah.  You know how many name coaches in P5 schools got HC gigs with next to no HC experience?  Our current guy had a few years under his belt as HC and look at where that's gotten us. Who is it, besides CBB, that you want?  Realistically.

hogsanity

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 25, 2017, 11:18:03 am
Plus his argument is just downright dumb. We can inly hire a coach with more than 2 years experience at a p5 school that is currently successful. That really limits the choices.

I did not say that, I am just asking what people have seen that makes them love Norvell so much or say he makes "perfect sense".

There are lots of young coaches out there with the same or more experience than he has, yet few mention them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Calling All Hogs

I like Norvell as well. Time to roll the dice with some up and comer. Just don't want a one hit wonder like Stan Heath.

PLHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:19:49 am
I did not say that, I am just asking what people have seen that makes them love Norvell so much or say he makes "perfect sense".

There are lots of young coaches out there with the same or more experience than he has, yet few mention them.

Give us some names that haven't been mentioned.

piglet mignon

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 18, 2017, 06:24:44 pm
He pretty much followed Brian Kelly to each of those schools. He isn't doing terrible at Tennessee in my opinion, but expectations are a lot higher there than they are here.  He is 9-4 each of the last 2 years.
They haven't scored an offensive TD in 3 games

hawgon

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:19:49 am

The guy is from DFW.  He played in Arkansas.  His wife is from Ft. Smith.  Her brother lives in Fayetteville.  He has strong recruiting ties to Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.  He has let it be known to the point that it is openly talked about in Memphis that he considers Arkansas home and wants our job above all others.  And though he has only two years, he coached under Malzahn at Tulsa and after going 8-4 in his first year appears to be heading to 11-1 this year.

Do I need to draw a picture?

Paul

How many games had JFB coached before we hired him?

smb

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:14:27 am
The problem is really I believe you are going to have to take another chance. Because getting a well known coach to come to Arkansas is going to be tough. That's because of what's happen the last 6 years.
GeorgiaHOG

ricepig

Quote from: ipigsooie on October 25, 2017, 11:16:25 am
Not at all. Lets hire a guy with 92 games experience at a p5 school .

Dang, now we've got to do a search of coaches with 92 games experience at a P5, is that exactly 92, or is that the minimum?

hawgon

If any of the coaches we could get has a chance of being "the one", this is the guy.  Sure, there is some risk, but the upside with this guy is an ultra successful coach who would consider the Arkansas job his life's crowning achievement.  This guy could be our Bob Stoops.

hogsanity

Quote from: PLHawg on October 25, 2017, 11:19:24 am

Dude, what's your agenda against this guy?  Every thread where his name is mentioned you have to get on dogging him about his lack of HC experience, or how all this guys does is 30 bubble screens a game, blah, blah, blah.  You know how many name coaches in P5 schools got HC gigs with next to no HC experience?  Our current guy had a few years under his belt as HC and look at where that's gotten us. Who is it, besides CBB, that you want?  Realistically.

I said in another thread I am not against hiring him, he may do a good job he may turn out to be great. But people saying he makes perfect sense or he is the next great coach are basing that on what?

Kyle Whittingham, Holgorsen, Fitzgerald from NW, Mike LEach, Todd Graham, Mike Macintyre, Dave Doeren, Scott Frost, Craig Bohl, MAtt Wells, all are guys I would not mind seeing here, and all are as realistic as Norvell. And that is just current FBS HC's, not including coordinators or FCS coaches.

TexasRazorback

I would hate this hire. He has no experience coaching in a power 5 Conference. yes he has a great offensive mind but he neglects defense, he'd be in way over his head. He is not ready for the SEC and he is not a proven recruiter.

hogsanity

Quote from: smb on October 25, 2017, 11:24:55 am
The problem is really I believe you are going to have to take another chance. Because getting a well known coach to come to Arkansas is going to be tough. That's because of what's happen the last 6 years.

I agree, any coaching hire is taking a chance actually, but it also means none of them " make perfect sense ".

hogsanity

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 25, 2017, 11:22:43 am
I like Norvell as well. Time to roll the dice with some up and comer. Just don't want a one hit wonder like Stan Heath.

Norvell is not even at the Heath level yet in accomplishments as a HC. 

ricepig

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on October 25, 2017, 11:30:39 am
Like everything you said and yes I want Norvell but would be happy with Frost as example.

Most assume Frost goes to his alma mater.

hogfansince79

Quote from: Paul on October 25, 2017, 11:24:44 am
  How many games had JFB coached before we hired him?

He doesn't want to talk about that.  I posted something the other day about Frank in response to one of his posts.  Crickets.

BTW... 

1957   Missouri   5–4–1   3–3 (conference)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

ipigsooie

Quote from: ricepig on October 25, 2017, 11:27:23 am
Dang, now we've got to do a search of coaches with 92 games experience at a P5, is that exactly 92, or is that the minimum?

No, thats just how many the last guy we hired had under his belt.

Paul

Quote from: TexasRazorback on October 25, 2017, 11:28:40 am
I would hate this hire. He has no experience coaching in a power 5 Conference. yes he has a great offensive mind but he neglects defense, he'd be in way over his head. He is not ready for the SEC and he is not a proven recruiter.
His defense has been decent considering he's playing a lot of first time starters due to injury. They beat Navy's triple option, no small feat.  I read where his recruiting class is the best at Memphis in a long time.  Currently it ranks #2 in the AAC that include USF(Charlie Strong), UCF, Houston & SMU(Chad Morris)

hogcard1964

Quote from: Paul on October 25, 2017, 10:46:57 am
http://winningcureseverything.com/memphis-tigers-2017-college-football-season-predictions/
This link was posted on Hville in September.  Since then, Geoff Calkins has said on his radio show that we're the frontrunner for Norvell(which was previously posted here).  Just wanted to consolidate info for discussion purposes.

I like him a lot.  I recently started paying attention to what he's done in such a short period of time and I'm impressed. Arkansas needs to open that offense up again.  He'd be a great choice imo.  Young, eager and runs a fast paced team.

Btw, that AAC conference is beginning to look pretty solid.

Paul

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:30:58 am
Norvell is not even at the Heath level yet in accomplishments as a HC.
but better than Broyles

GuvHog

Quote from: hawgon on October 25, 2017, 11:27:31 am
If any of the coaches we could get has a chance of being "the one", this is the guy.  Sure, there is some risk, but the upside with this guy is an ultra successful coach who would consider the Arkansas job his life's crowning achievement.  This guy could be our Bob Stoops.

I wouldn't mind it if they hired Norvell but I actually would prefer that they hire a certain Ultra-successful P5 Defensive Coordinator who recruits his butt off.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfansince79 on October 25, 2017, 11:34:51 am
He doesn't want to talk about that.  I posted something the other day about Frank in response to one of his posts.  Crickets.

BTW... 

1957   Missouri   5–4–1   3–3 (conference)

I'll talk about JFB, I mean yes hiring a coach 60 years ago when young black men were not even allowed to play, Qb's still called their own plays, and the average ol player weighed about 220 is exactly like hiring a coach in 2017.

Hiring JFB as a risk, not a sure thing, and it did not " make perfect sense " either.

I will guarantee, if Norvell had the same record at Memphis he has now, if everything else was the same, but he was running the I or the triple option he would not " make perfect sense " to those who love him so.

Tusks

Some of you guys are as lazy as BB.  Go google Todd Graham + Mike Norvell.

READ, it's fundamental.  Read the interviews, articles, comments by other coaches, media etc.   Hell if you're so fundamentally challenged there's even videos of the interviews and comments.

Some things that are very consistent about Norvell.  Very bright and intelligent.  Great recruiter (I've read this over and over) .  Great offensive mind.  The smartest guy in the room.  The skies the limit with this guy.

Apply yourselves more than BB coaches and you might learn something.

You can lead a horse to water but you .........
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hogcard1964

Quote from: GuvHog on October 25, 2017, 11:39:28 am
I wouldn't mind it if they hired Norvell but I actually would prefer that they hire a certain Ultra-successful P5 Defensive Coordinator who recruits his butt off.

Bobo from Col St. is still my first choice.

hogfansince79

Quote from: hogsanity on October 25, 2017, 11:43:54 am
I'll talk about JFB, I mean yes hiring a coach 60 years ago when young black men were not even allowed to play, Qb's still called their own plays, and the average ol player weighed about 220 is exactly like hiring a coach in 2017.

Hiring JFB as a risk, not a sure thing, and it did not " make perfect sense " either.

I will guarantee, if Norvell had the same record at Memphis he has now, if everything else was the same, but he was running the I or the triple option he would not " make perfect sense " to those who love him so.

If a bullfrog had wings...
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

hogsanity

Quote from: PLHawg on October 25, 2017, 11:22:55 am

Give us some names that haven't been mentioned.

Kyle Whittingham, Holgorsen, Fitzgerald from NW, Mike LEach, Todd Graham, Mike Macintyre, Dave Doeren, Scott Frost, Craig Bohl, MAtt Wells, all are guys I would not mind seeing here, and all are as realistic as Norvell. And that is just current FBS HC's, not including coordinators or FCS coaches.

I know some of those have been mentioned, but not nearly to the extent that Norvell has been.

hawgon

I just have a feeling that if we don't get this guy, that no matter how good our hire turns out, we'll regret not taking him when we had the chance.  Just a feeling and I could easily be wrong.

Mr. Porkleone

I saw Norvell close up this year. He's firey and in your face. That's whats needed and missing. 21 games or whatever don't matter. Can he ignite the fan base. Yes, players a would love this guy. Just my 2¢ worth.

Matt Burks

Quote from: tusked on October 25, 2017, 11:45:33 am
Some of you guys are as lazy as BB.  Go google Todd Graham + Mike Norvell.

READ, it's fundamental.  Read the interviews, articles, comments by other coaches, media etc.   Hell if you're so fundamentally challenged there's even videos of the interviews and comments.

Some things that are very consistent about Norvell.  Very bright and intelligent.  Great recruiter (I've read this over and over) .  Great offensive mind.  The smartest guy in the room.  The skies the limit with this guy.

Apply yourselves more than BB coaches and you might learn something.

You can lead a horse to water but you .........
I started researching him after that great win he had over Houston and I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm on the Norvell bandwagon.

hawgon

He reminds me of a young Urban Myer.

Wildhog

Norvell's a solid fallback.  High risk-high reward.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Kevin

I want a detailed, organized, & disciplined coach, who will demand this of their team.
prefer a current head coach
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Smalltownhog95

Not my first choice but probably a close 2nd. I'd like Campbell but IG his buyout may be an issue.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

pigroots

My biggest question is whether he is winning now because of what Fuentes did before him. Hard to tell since he's only been there 1 full year

daprospecta

Quote from: Wildhog on October 25, 2017, 11:50:04 am
Norvell's a solid fallback.  High risk-high reward.
This. If he succeeds, we have a coach that wants to be here and won't leave if he gets successful(I.E. CMA).  If he fails, we try again and we won't have a crazy buyout.  It takes time to find a coach but if you find a good one that wants to stay around, you can build stability.  See Michigan State.

Redhogs

Cause we could tell so much from Bert's years at Wisky....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

The NewEra

When you look across the coaching landscape of hires for the past decade there doesn't appear to be any successful model.

At this point I'm willing to roll the dice with him.  Too many other programs are going to be hiring coaches this year for us to compete on an even playing field.  If he doesn't work out then it will have been no worse than the status quo.  I just want to see the next coach hire a defensive guru and be afforded the money to bring in the best staff SEC money can attract.

Redhogs

Quote from: Matt Burks on October 25, 2017, 11:49:20 am
I started researching him after that great win he had over Houston and I'm thoroughly impressed. I'm on the Norvell bandwagon.
Yea..that was quite the comeback win a couple weeks ago..almost forgot what they look like, since it's been so long since I've seen one around here ;D ;D
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hogsanity

Quote from: Redhogs on October 25, 2017, 11:57:03 am
Cause we could tell so much from Bert's years at Wisky....

That was kind of my point, no coaching hire " makes perfect sense ". People are acting like it is a slam dunk that Norvell would come in here and start winning a t a good clip. He might, heck he might come here and win a NC, but his hire does not "make perfect sense" because he has 21 games as a HC, has not yet had to play with a team that was all his own recruits.

Reggieslittlehands

Yes, Norvell has only been a head coach for 2 years at Memphis. In those 2 years he has had the 61st and then the 56th ranked recruiting classes, under Fuente Memphis was 77th and 78th. (247). He brought in Riley Ferguson. He is 36 and has the fire needed to excel on the recruiting path.

elviscat

The guy is from DFW.  He played in Arkansas.  His wife is from Ft. Smith.  Her brother lives in Fayetteville.  He has strong recruiting ties to Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.  He has let it be known to the point that it is openly talked about in Memphis that he considers Arkansas home and wants our job above all others.  And though he has only two years, he coached under Malzahn at Tulsa and after going 8-4 in his first year appears to be heading to 11-1 this year.

Do I need to draw a picture?

Sir, you are dead on. He would be a great coach and recruiter for our program. He has done a great job of getting kid Memphis. He knows talent and he recruits kids that are fast and can play at any level.

hogsanity

Quote from: Redhogs on October 25, 2017, 11:59:45 am
Yea..that was quite the comeback win a couple weeks ago..almost forgot what they look like, since it's been so long since I've one around here ;D ;D

Just remember, to have a great big comeback win, you have to have been down by a great big amount. Cant survive doing that very often.

navyhog24

Norvell follows Connor Noland on Twitter.  He also follows a ton of Arkansas high school coaches. Hammonds, Sosa, Patton, Koilan Jackson, all of the top instate prospects this year, Emmit Gooden, none of our Texas commits, he follows Luke Ford. Richard Davenport. He follows our rb commit from LA. Kofi Boetang, the instate DE we signed last year. I'm not sure if it is just crossing paths from recruiting or what.

hogsanity

Quote from: elviscat on October 25, 2017, 12:00:35 pm

The guy is from DFW.  He played in Arkansas.  His wife is from Ft. Smith.  Her brother lives in Fayetteville.  He has strong recruiting ties to Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. 

Most, or maybe all of that except the brother in Fay, sounds just like Gus.

Wildhog

Quote from: Reggieslittlehands on October 25, 2017, 12:00:22 pm
Yes, Norvell has only been a head coach for 2 years at Memphis. In those 2 years he has had the 61st and then the 56th ranked recruiting classes, under Fuente Memphis was 77th and 78th. (247). He brought in Riley Ferguson. He is 36 and has the fire needed to excel on the recruiting path.

He does appear to be a good recruiter. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977