Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kaepernick

Started by ricepig, August 27, 2016, 10:23:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Jackrabbit Hog

Saw this earlier today on espn.com.  While I recognize the right of someone to protest peacefully and to stand up for what they believe is right, I think refusing to show respect for our country is a misguided way of doing it. 

If you have a problem with politicians, voice your displeasure toward them.  If you have a problem with law enforcement, protest PEACEFULLY and start a meaningful dialog.  But it's not our country that is the problem.  It's certain individuals in our country.  All this will do is get Kaepernick a fine and some bad press.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Buff

Always acted like a punk. Bad teammate. Refuses to work on his throwing game. Don't know why he didn't stand when he had the chance to get off the bench for a few seconds.

Professor Psychosis

Why doesn't he quit football and go be a 24/7 political activist?  He's already made millions, should be set for life, now go out there and be the good social justice warrior you want to be.

Dr. Starcs

Good lord. How exactly is our country so oppressive to minorities?! 

kodiakisland

If this country has been so bad for him, he needs to quit playing a game for millions of dollars and go live in some nice third world country who will appreciate the color of his skin.  Never had a bad feeling for him before, but I'll enjoy seeing the end of his career. 

Sadly, I'm sure he fits in well in SF.  Probably has a great political future there.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

majestic

I didn't even know he was black.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

H&D

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 27, 2016, 12:29:18 pm

I guess he didn't watch the Olympics, we were by far the most diverse country there. He is sitting in a locker room full of millionaire minorities. He has been pampered and treated special because of his talent his entire adult life. He is free to sit down during the anthem in protest and I'm free to think he is a d-bag punk.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

tophawg19

Kappaprick has millions of dollars and a name to raise more . if the minorities need money, he and the rest of the NFL minorities can give up some of theirs .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Torqued pork

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on August 27, 2016, 12:29:18 pm
They're expected to obey the same laws as whites. Shame on America!

Pigsknuckles

This is nothing short of treason. Hyperbole not. Screw him.

I apologize for this comment being my first visceral reaction.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 27, 2016, 11:25:38 am
Saw this earlier today on espn.com.  While I recognize the right of someone to protest peacefully and to stand up for what they believe is right, I think refusing to show respect for our country is a misguided way of doing it. 

If you have a problem with politicians, voice your displeasure toward them.  If you have a problem with law enforcement, protest PEACEFULLY and start a meaningful dialog.  But it's not our country that is the problem.  It's certain individuals in our country.  All this will do is get Kaepernick a fine and some bad press.

You are being much too kind. I applaud you for your your effort at mercy, but I am afraid, and I hope, it will fall upon deaf ears.

hoglady

Kaepernick - is no social justice warrior.
He's a possibly washed up NFL QB and is apparently having a problem not being in the spotlight.
I've always disliked Blaine Gabbert - but I now love him when compared to Kaepernick.
Hope his butt NEVER sees an NFL field again.

And to top it off - think of the PR problems he just caused his team (the team that's paying him $19 million to sit the bench). What a selfish prick.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Porked Tongue

razorbacker3

Quote from: majestic on August 27, 2016, 12:56:31 pm
I didn't even know he was black.
Abandoned by his father, he was given up for adoption by his mother to a white couple who he calls mom and dad.
He's been so oppressed. I bet his mom and dad are SOOOO proud.

fieldturf

I got a suggestion for you Colin, go get another tattoo.  Can't stand the 49ers ever since you joined the team punk!

Pigsknuckles

Just heard that neither the the 49ers, or NFL have plans to force him to stand during the anthem. I'm curious what endorsements does he, the 49ers, or the NFL have that might be affected by this?

H&D

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on August 29, 2016, 09:58:12 am
Just heard that neither the the 49ers, or NFL have plans to force him to stand during the anthem. I'm curious what endorsements does he, the 49ers, or the NFL have that might be affected by this?

Why would forcing him to stand even be an idea to begin with?
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

EastexHawg

He is and always has been a punk.  By the way,  the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz is calling BS on Kaepernick ripping off his facial features.   

hoglady

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on August 29, 2016, 09:58:12 am

It might not be pretty for the 49ers this year - they probably can't force him to stand, but they sure don't have to dress him out. If they can find a quality back up wouldn't be surprised to see him on the scout team.
Can't imagine what it would be like if he hits the field in another city besides San Francisco. Although if you read their message boards - the fans are pissed and wish he wasn't on the team.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

kodiakisland

The NFL is a business.  Not run like some businesses, but a business none the less.  They could probably make this a work place conduct issue if they wanted.  If they allow this in the work place, what's next?  Hard to say.  I know my employer would support my 1st amendment rights on my own time, but not necessarily at work.  They may be waiting to see where this goes.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

hoglady

Quote from: kodiakisland on August 29, 2016, 09:07:46 pm
The NFL is a business.  Not run like some businesses, but a business none the less.  They could probably make this a work place conduct issue if they wanted.  If they allow this in the work place, what's next?  Hard to say.  I know my employer would support my 1st amendment rights on my own time, but not necessarily at work.  They may be waiting to see where this goes.

Yep - I remember starting at the company I work for 30+ years ago.
Broker said - keep your religious beliefs and political views to yourself. They don't belong in the office and they for sure don't belong in your dealings with our customers or clients.

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

pigture perfect

You can't make him stand, or salute or whatever, but if he wants to change America he can't blame the flag or the constitution. Those are the good things. Change the people. The people are who he has a problem with. The flag and the constitution are his best friends. Those are the things that allow him to do what he's doing. It just doesn't make sense. It is akin to be coming home and telling my wife I want a divorce because my boss made me mad. Complete transference to the wrong party or entity. In the words of the great philosopher Bugs Bunny, "What a Maroon"!
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hoglady

Quote from: pigture perfect on August 29, 2016, 09:23:17 pm
You can't make him stand, or salute or whatever, but if he wants to change America he can't blame the flag or the constitution. Those are the good things. Change the people. The people are who he has a problem with. The flag and the constitution are his best friends. Those are the things that allow him to do what he's doing. It just doesn't make sense. It is akin to be coming home and telling my wife I want a divorce because my boss made me mad. Complete transference to the wrong party or entity. In the words of the great philosopher Bugs Bunny, "What a Maroon"!

Well - as Joe Franklin said on 103.7 "The Buzz" this afternoon - "after listening to Kaepernick he doesn't appear to be very bright, so he most likely didn't really think this through very well."

pigture perfect

And now I read where Myke Tavarres of the Eagles is going to do a sit down strike as well. Didn't he use to play for us?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

sickboy

Quote from: Hogfaniam on August 29, 2016, 09:16:31 pm
Ignore him

It blows me away how people don't get this. If you disagree with this kid in theory and demonstration, then quit screaming about it. You're feeding the fire.

I can't believe enough people care what he thinks to make this such a big news story. Who cares?! He's allowed to think and say what he wants. You're allowed to ignore him.

nationwish

Quote from: sickboy on August 30, 2016, 03:17:42 am
It blows me away how people don't get this. If you disagree with this kid in theory and demonstration, then quit screaming about it. You're feeding the fire.

I can't believe enough people care what he thinks to make this such a big news story. Who cares?! He's allowed to think and say what he wants. You're allowed to ignore him.

That's not where our political environment is right now. You can't just disagree with someone. You have to face every single perceived slight from anyone, no matter how little an impact that person has on your life or society at large. And you can't just be content with debating them, either. You have the demonize them to let everyone know they are incapable of thought and the worst person to ever walk the earth.

EastexHawg

So you have a minority millionaire sitting around in a locker room full of other minority millionaires...talking about how oppressed minorities are in this country.

As someone already said, he's not very bright.

nationwish

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 30, 2016, 12:02:58 pm
So you have a minority millionaire sitting around in a locker room full of other minority millionaires...talking about how oppressed minorities are in this country.

As someone already said, he's not very bright.

That doesn't make sense from a logical perspective. Just because there are rich black athletes doesn't mean there isn't a serious issue that needs to be addressed. If you heard one of the Waltons talk about how poverty in Arkansas makes it harder to attract many businesses, would you say they are stupid to do so because that family had success?

You can agree with Kap or not, but let's not just take an incredibly small sample size and say that's representative of what it's like for black people in our country. On average, black people have always made less than white people. You can debate the causes for that, especially if it has something to do with racial oppression, but let's not act like that fact isn't there. And you also can't say that because some black people are rich that oppression doesn't exist. There were rich black people here in America while slavery was considered acceptable, so some wealthy black people and racial oppression being present aren't mutually exclusive.

Examine and debate the root causes. This tearing each other apart just because we disagree with something, especially without any real thought on either side, does nothing but hurt everyone involved.

DeltaBoy

He going to get popped several times this year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Professor Psychosis

I watch football because it's entertaining.  I watch it because it's a chance to get away from politics and away from the news.  It's an escape from reality.

However, if NFL players decide to start making the game all about them and their "causes" and their "protests," I'll gladly go find something else to do on Sunday.

hoglady

Quote from: Professor Psychosis on August 31, 2016, 10:36:13 am
I watch football because it's entertaining.  I watch it because it's a chance to get away from politics and away from the news.  It's an escape from reality.

However, if NFL players decide to start making the game all about them and their "causes" and their "protests," I'll gladly go find something else to do on Sunday.

Exactly.
Just like ESPN started Sportscenter with talk about Kaepernick - I switched the channel for a while and went back after all that was finished.
Plenty of news channels 24/7 to watch this type stuff.

pigture perfect

Quote from: DeltaBoy on August 30, 2016, 02:57:24 pm
He going to get popped several times this year.
only if he plays on special teams. He won't be the starter in SF.

EastexHawg

Quote from: nationwish on August 30, 2016, 02:10:07 pm
That doesn't make sense from a logical perspective. Just because there are rich black athletes doesn't mean there isn't a serious issue that needs to be addressed.

It makes perfect sense.  The black millionaires on the 49ers are rich because they have and/or worked hard to develop marketable skills that are sought by society and employers.  Their aptitudes, resourcefulness, honing of skills, and work ethic have allowed them to become highly successful.  They also had to at least graduate from high school and attend some college to become eligible for their current vocations.

No one is discriminating against them because of their race.  They weren't passed over for their current jobs so their employers could instead hire less qualified white guys.

Oh, what a terrible message to send to our children, teenagers, young adults, and population in general.

nationwish

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 01, 2016, 12:03:38 pm
It makes perfect sense.  The black millionaires on the 49ers are rich because they have and/or worked hard to develop marketable skills that are sought by society and employers.  Their aptitudes, resourcefulness, honing of skills, and work ethic have allowed them to become highly successful.  They also had to at least graduate from high school and attend some college to become eligible for their current vocations.

No one is discriminating against them because of their race.  They weren't passed over for their current jobs so their employers could instead hire less qualified white guys.

Oh, what a terrible message to send to our children, teenagers, young adults, and population in general.

Again, there were rich black people during slavery, so to say that because there are rich black people now means there is no problem with discrimination in our country doesn't make sense. It's being overly selective of a very specific set of circumstances and applying those over the entire society just to back up a belief system.

EastexHawg

Quote from: nationwish on September 02, 2016, 07:55:09 am
It's being overly selective of a very specific set of circumstances and applying those over the entire society just to back up a belief system.

Isn't this precisely what Kaepernick is doing?  He is taking a relatively few isolated incidents (police shootings, etc.) and projecting those over the entire society...to the point that he is making a statement against the entire nation and its symbols.

hoglady

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm sick of turning on ESPN and the NFL network and hearing about this guy.
Media needs to shut up about it. I want to hear about the teams, enough already about a back up QB that at the rate he's going won't be in the league in a few years.

nationwish

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 02, 2016, 11:33:15 am
Isn't this precisely what Kaepernick is doing?  He is taking a relatively few isolated incidents (police shootings, etc.) and projecting those over the entire society...to the point that he is making a statement against the entire nation and its symbols.

I think that if he were to come out and say we have racism because of a few isolated incidents, that would be true. The problem is that there is obviously a racial disparity in the number of arrests and convictions of black people over white people. Personally, I think that there are a lot of reasons for that, and that while I think there are almost certainly cases involving individuals or in certain areas where racism is a major factor, there are also many legitimate factors that affect those numbers overall, so I don't think white racism is the main issue by any stretch.

There are also clear differences in income and wealth for the average black person compared to the average white person. Again, the reasons for those are debatable. I just want people to be able to have a dialogue that is productive rather than people just becoming more and more entrenched in their views. Let's say you are 100% correct in your viewpoint about a subject. What good does it do if that viewpoint is expressed in a way that not only doesn't convince the other side, but makes them even more determined to have their (in this hypothetical case wrong) viewpoint beat yours?

I'm not going to make Kaepernick a hero. I generally wouldn't even pay attention to something he says. But, I have seen the way many black people I know have reacted to what white people have said about the situation, and most of them feel like we don't care what any of them have to say. So while I'm not so concerned about Kaepernick, I am concerned about what a large part of our population is feeling. We would all be better off by understanding what these people are feeling and helping each other to be productive. Just something as simple as letting someone know they are being heard can make a big difference. But when we just reflexively go back onto whatever position we hold, we can't do that. And I realize that people are going to do that no matter what, but I'd just remind you that you can only control what you do. And if you are right about a subject, understanding why a person feels a different way, instead of just knowing they are wrong, only makes you that much wiser.

Put very briefly, don't debate Kaepernick. Work to convince those millions of other black Americans that they can be successful, and not just in athletics.

Professor Psychosis

He said he would donate his first $1 million earned this season to some charitable cause.  Okay.  That's nice.

But why the money earned this year?  Why not just go ahead and make a donation now with the money he's already earned?

HiggiePiggy

It's better than nothing, which majority of people donate nothing yearly already. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

hoglady

Quote from: nationwish on September 02, 2016, 02:04:29 pm
I think that if he were to come out and say we have racism because of a few isolated incidents, that would be true. The problem is that there is obviously a racial disparity in the number of arrests and convictions of black people over white people. Personally, I think that there are a lot of reasons for that, and that while I think there are almost certainly cases involving individuals or in certain areas where racism is a major factor, there are also many legitimate factors that affect those numbers overall, so I don't think white racism is the main issue by any stretch.

There are also clear differences in income and wealth for the average black person compared to the average white person. Again, the reasons for those are debatable. I just want people to be able to have a dialogue that is productive rather than people just becoming more and more entrenched in their views. Let's say you are 100% correct in your viewpoint about a subject. What good does it do if that viewpoint is expressed in a way that not only doesn't convince the other side, but makes them even more determined to have their (in this hypothetical case wrong) viewpoint beat yours?

I'm not going to make Kaepernick a hero. I generally wouldn't even pay attention to something he says. But, I have seen the way many black people I know have reacted to what white people have said about the situation, and most of them feel like we don't care what any of them have to say. So while I'm not so concerned about Kaepernick, I am concerned about what a large part of our population is feeling. We would all be better off by understanding what these people are feeling and helping each other to be productive. Just something as simple as letting someone know they are being heard can make a big difference. But when we just reflexively go back onto whatever position we hold, we can't do that. And I realize that people are going to do that no matter what, but I'd just remind you that you can only control what you do. And if you are right about a subject, understanding why a person feels a different way, instead of just knowing they are wrong, only makes you that much wiser.

Put very briefly, don't debate Kaepernick. Work to convince those millions of other black Americans that they can be successful, and not just in athletics.

Education is one reason.
Which is why a voucher system might actually help improve the lives of kids growing up without many advantages. Many schools in poorer communities are subpar. Allowing those kids to escape to a better school can make all the difference.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 02, 2016, 02:13:15 pm
It's better than nothing, which majority of people donate nothing yearly already. 

Shoot, he may be canonized in front of Mother Teresa.

razCzar

Broncos LB Brandon Marshall, former Nevada teammate of Kaepernick, chose to take a knee during tonight's national anthem before their game with Carolina... and leaves the game in the middle of q2 because of a concussion protocol. 

While apparently unrelated, still kind of ironic.

hoglady

Read an article today that Kaepernick's parents are flying an American Flag outside their home.
As are many of the surrounding neighbors on their street.
They are not commenting on the situation.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: hoglady on September 08, 2016, 10:40:06 pm
Read an article today that Kaepernick's parents are flying an American Flag outside their home.
As are many of the surrounding neighbors on their street.
They are not commenting on the situation.

Actually, one mom did.  He has two.

hoglady

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 08, 2016, 11:00:58 pm
Actually, one mom did.  He has two.

I remember seeing where his biological mother did comment.
But the parents who raised him are not commenting.

trippigs

Selfish and immature......those are his best qualities. I would not have him on my team

Dr. Starcs

And yet the NFL is going to fine obj and victor cruz for wearing patriotic shoes on 9/11.