Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema's Resume and Jeff Long

Started by widespreadsooie, November 08, 2017, 12:49:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorfox

Quote from: widespreadsooie on November 08, 2017, 03:12:17 pm
I guess all the Wisconsin fans who felt sorry for us to have BB as a hire were wrong in the end.

Yeah, I'm sure none of that was due to butt hurt from him leaving them for us. 

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 08, 2017, 02:19:05 pm
Buddy, you show me a coach we're going to get with Brets record at Wisky and 3 BCS appearances and conference titles.

You goons are so obtuse this week lol
Well hell dude, maybe we could go get Gary Anderson or Paul Chryst. Then everything could be really neato again!!!! I mean look at their record at Wisconsin?!!!?

That's gotta mean they would do awesome here, right?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

widespreadsooie

And to touch on the Petrino comments, he was beating the top dogs or was the top dog in his conference before he went to the Falcons.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: widespreadsooie on November 08, 2017, 03:41:39 pm
And to touch on the Petrino comments, he was beating the top dogs or was the top dog in his conference before he went to the Falcons.

Sometimes.  In CUSA and the Big East. 
Conference USA
2003 - 0-3 vs TCU, USF and Memphis, didn't play champion USM
2004 - 2-0 vs 5-3 Memphis and 5-3 Cincy - won conference 8-0
Big East
2005 - 0-1 vs 7-0 WV, 1-1 vs 4-3 Rutgers and USF
2006 - 1-1 vs 5-2 WV and 5-2 Rutgers

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bebop

Honestly, I think anyone who coaches at Wisconsin is the head coach in name only. I think Alvarez still has a lot of pull as to what goes on in the program. Wisconsin's record didn't drop when Bielema or Gary Andersen left.

Simply put: Wisconsin made Bielema, Bielema didn't make Wisconsin.

In other words, this conversation is appears to be moot based on the context that Bielema was in at Wisconsin.

JOKERHOG

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 03:06:21 pm
So wait, let me get this straight, it is supposed to be some barometer of success how well you have done against the top of your league, and it is a lazy hire to get a guy that had just won a p5 league 3 times in a row and been ranked #4 at one point in 2 straight seasons, but it would be wise to hire a guy with almost no HC experience at all?

I will guarantee you if Long had hired an up and comer, and word had gotten out he could have had a 3 time big10 title winning coach instead, Long would have been fired for that.

I guess long gets fired either way then because this CF sure hasn't worked out
BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

JOKERHOG

BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

HoggyCat

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 02:56:04 pm
BB actually won his league THREE TIMES and went to the Rose Bowl THREE times, and had his team ranked as high as #4 during the 2010 and 2011 seasons. So again what is your point?

Twice.  The third was due to TWO teams with postseason bans.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 08, 2017, 02:08:54 pm
True that. Frank Broyles only beat Texas 26 percent of the time over 19 years. He beat up on a bunch of bottom feeders. Nobody wants to hear that, but the "glory days" of Arkansas football was beating up on bottom feeders and winning barely a quarter of the time vs. Texas in its heyday. In the 1960s, a third team would join Texas and Arkansas in the battle for contender each year but it changed regularly, it wasn't a consistent "powerhouse." SMU had a brief run of 3 years. Texas A&M had a huge recruiting haul in 65-66 that led to a bunch of sophomores winning it in 67 and then they disappointed as juniors and seniors, Texas Tech was formidable around those two upstarts, mostly 64-65, but pretty much was traditional Texas Tech as they are today. Baylor was headed down after the early 1960s and not to come back until 1974.
Now, when Holtz was here, there were less bottom feeders and a lot less top-heavy SWC as well. A&M was recruited to a program high in the mid 1970s, Houston entered the league and was formidable each year, Texas Tech was still Tech with occasional moments of glory, SMU started its purchase plan and became stout as the 70s wound down and into the 1980s before probation, Baylor was up and down with a roster full of NFL prospects. TCU and Rice were still bottom-feeding in terms of talent.
But that era wasn't like the Broyles 1960s, when Arkansas and Texas were No. 2 in wins behind Alabama. That's why I'd put Holtz in that Saban or Meyer class. Just the same, without Broyles Arkansas could have been like it had always been, among the other SWC bottom feeders while Texas won 99 percent of its SWC games (ha). As a fan then, I'm pretty happy that Broyles built an Arkansas program with a solid foundation that could at least beat the rest of the bottom feeders at the time.

But on this subject, Bielema at Arkansas hasn't really faced a conference schedule, and surely not a division schedule, that resembled that lower half of the Big Ten while he was there. We have been the bottom feeder. It's as if he were coaching Indiana in the SEC West.
We are bottom feeders now!

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Jim Harris on November 08, 2017, 02:08:54 pm
True that. Frank Broyles only beat Texas 26 percent of the time over 19 years. He beat up on a bunch of bottom feeders. Nobody wants to hear that, but the "glory days" of Arkansas football was beating up on bottom feeders and winning barely a quarter of the time vs. Texas in its heyday. In the 1960s, a third team would join Texas and Arkansas in the battle for contender each year but it changed regularly, it wasn't a consistent "powerhouse." SMU had a brief run of 3 years. Texas A&M had a huge recruiting haul in 65-66 that led to a bunch of sophomores winning it in 67 and then they disappointed as juniors and seniors, Texas Tech was formidable around those two upstarts, mostly 64-65, but pretty much was traditional Texas Tech as they are today. Baylor was headed down after the early 1960s and not to come back until 1974.
Now, when Holtz was here, there were less bottom feeders and a lot less top-heavy SWC as well. A&M was recruited to a program high in the mid 1970s, Houston entered the league and was formidable each year, Texas Tech was still Tech with occasional moments of glory, SMU started its purchase plan and became stout as the 70s wound down and into the 1980s before probation, Baylor was up and down with a roster full of NFL prospects. TCU and Rice were still bottom-feeding in terms of talent.
But that era wasn't like the Broyles 1960s, when Arkansas and Texas were No. 2 in wins behind Alabama. That's why I'd put Holtz in that Saban or Meyer class. Just the same, without Broyles Arkansas could have been like it had always been, among the other SWC bottom feeders while Texas won 99 percent of its SWC games (ha). As a fan then, I'm pretty happy that Broyles built an Arkansas program with a solid foundation that could at least beat the rest of the bottom feeders at the time.

But on this subject, Bielema at Arkansas hasn't really faced a conference schedule, and surely not a division schedule, that resembled that lower half of the Big Ten while he was there. We have been the bottom feeder. It's as if he were coaching Indiana in the SEC West.

Broyles was the one that jump-started the Razorbacks. Prior to Broyles AR had won the SWC three times and that's as a charter member. The Hogs were basically bottom  feeders before Broyles except for Bowden Wyatt for two years. Also you left Houston out of the equation which had pretty salty teams. As a matter of fact there were three teams in the SWC rated 1-2-3 in one season at mid point.

When Broyles took over at AR you could equate Texas to Bama of today. So beating Texas only one out of four times was quite an accomplishment. Had it not been for Frank Broyles and what he did for Razorback football most of us would be fat, dumb, and happy with the current situation. Too bad our younger folks cannot even dream of us getting back to where we once were.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 08, 2017, 02:39:16 pm
Petrino was 3-9 against SEC opponents who finished 5-3 or better.  25% 

Petrino started out with his worst year then got better.

Bert started out with his best year and ended with his 2nd worst.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

East Clintwood

Quote from: Razorfox on November 08, 2017, 03:17:28 pm
Yeah, I'm sure none of that was due to butt hurt from him leaving them for us. 

Yeah, about as much as we were butt-hurt about Ole Misses stealing Hootie away from us.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Hoginsavga on November 08, 2017, 06:33:22 pm
Broyles was the one that jump-started the Razorbacks. Prior to Broyles AR had won the SWC three times and that's as a charter member. The Hogs were basically bottom  feeders before Broyles except for Bowden Wyatt for two years. Also you left Houston out of the equation which had pretty salty teams. As a matter of fact there were three teams in the SWC rated 1-2-3 in one season at mid point.

When Broyles took over at AR you could equate Texas to Bama of today. So beating Texas only one out of four times was quite an accomplishment. Had it not been for Frank Broyles and what he did for Razorback football most of us would be fat, dumb, and happy with the current situation. Too bad our younger folks cannot even dream of us getting back to where we once were.
Not disputing what you are saying but is it really apples to apples in consideration of strength of schedule now vs then in terms of SWC vs SEC?  If anything the success CBB had in the Big 10 seems like a closer comparison from the strength of schedule.  I think the last time I looked it up CBB has 19 losses against ranked opponents while in the SEC.  Im curious if anyone knows the avg number of ranked opponents we played a season in the SWC days?

Razorbackers

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 08, 2017, 03:37:56 pm
Well hell dude, maybe we could go get Gary Anderson or Paul Chryst. Then everything could be really neato again!!!! I mean look at their record at Wisconsin?!!!?

That's gotta mean they would do awesome here, right?

You're such a clown. All I said was the next coach we hire won't have a resume like CBB's was. Somehow you've turned it into something I didn't say. I can't actually follow your line of logic here, but my point was strictly that none of the guys people want to hire on here will have had as much success as Bret did at his previous job. Which is literal fact. I don't understand why you get so butthurt about facts.

jkstock04

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 08:15:41 am
You're such a clown. All I said was the next coach we hire won't have a resume like CBB's was. Somehow you've turned it into something I didn't say. I can't actually follow your line of logic here, but my point was strictly that none of the guys people want to hire on here will have had as much success as Bret did at his previous job. Which is literal fact. I don't understand why you get so butthurt about facts.
Who is butthurt? I figured a guy with a good sense of humor plus a masters degree could follow simple sarcastic logic...Gary Anderson is available, maybe we could hire him. Based off that stellar performance he had at Wisconsin, it's gotta be a sure thing right? There's that awesome resume you are talking about.

Speaking of logic, this goes along with what the OP was explaining. Look at Wisconsin this year. The only real team they have played so far is Northwestern...a 6-3 team ranked #25. They have some tough games left to finish the year, but in my opinion they aren't a 100% shoe in to the top 4 even if they go undefeated. This goes to show you the stuff you guys have sunshine pumped about Bielemas Wisconsin days were fools gold. Not surprising to me.

This whole Bielema experiment has been a joke from the get go...it was doomed. That's not even to mention his transition here/style of play was going to be a mess. I knew the joke was 100% on us when we lost the LSU game in 2013 (game we should've won) and he mused in his press conference about how it was better that we lost the game...mind boggling. This guy has been way too comfortable his entire time here. The entire culture of the football program is now garbage thanks to Jeff Longs decisions.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: widespreadsooie on November 08, 2017, 01:21:17 pm
I guess my point is that BB was at WIS for 7 years and was beating the top half of the conference 1/3 times. Why hire him to beat the blue bloods of the SEC instead of going the up and comer route, someone who is unproven?

Iirc, the thought at the time was that there was less of a recruiting potential gap between Arkansas and the rest of the SEC than there was between Wisky and the top of the Big 10. This was supposed to be because of our strong Texas ties.

A&M probably screwed that up, but it was shaky to begin with.

Razorbackers

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: tusked on November 08, 2017, 01:54:01 pm
Just saying that's the Frost and Norvell of 2012.

I think Frost and Norvell have lots more SEC upside than Butch and Gus

Norvell beat P5 teams at Memphis, which is reportedly a pit of despair for recruiting. He's my guy, and I'll likely be disappointed if we don't get him.

Razorbackers

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 09, 2017, 09:30:57 am
Norvell beat P5 teams at Memphis, which is reportedly a pit of despair for recruiting. He's my guy, and I'll likely be disappointed if we don't get him.

Well, to play devil's advocate here, all these geniuses KNEW that Bret wouldn't work because he rode Alvarez's success. Norvell is just riding the wave of Justin Fuente.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 09:33:44 am
Well, to play devil's advocate here, all these geniuses KNEW that Bret wouldn't work because he rode Alvarez's success. Norvell is just riding the wave of Justin Fuente.

Honestly, that is a pretty good point. But I don't see any better option that we're likely to get.

So if we're going to roll the dice, he seems like a good bet.

My second choice is Charlie Strong. I guess I highly value Arkansas ties.

Razorbackers

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on November 09, 2017, 09:35:55 am
Honestly, that is a pretty good point. But I don't see any better option that we're likely to get.

So if we're going to roll the dice, he seems like a good bet.

My second choice is Charlie Strong. I guess I highly value Arkansas ties.

I would love Norvell, I think he would be an excellent hire. I was just applying all the same logic that folks on the board are applying retroactively to Bielema to other coaches.

I would have loved to have hired Charlie pre-texas, but now...idk. haha

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 09:41:26 am
I would love Norvell, I think he would be an excellent hire. I was just applying all the same logic that folks on the board are applying retroactively to Bielema to other coaches.

I would have loved to have hired Charlie pre-texas, but now...idk. haha

I know what you mean about CCS. But I trolled ShaggyBevo a lot during his time there. You think we're bad? Texas fans are rotten to the core. Their admin seems corrupt as well. I'm convinced that Texas's problems are systemic regardless of the coach.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 09, 2017, 09:33:44 am

Not the same circumstance at all. 

Fuente was there before but now he's gone - completely.

Alvarez was there before, was there when Bert was there, and he's still there after Bert  and the following coaches left. 

He was there to mentor Bert every day and step in when Bert got offtrack and didn't know what to do;  which, based on his performance here, was probably pretty often.

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 09, 2017, 09:44:44 am
You deserve a Mic Drop for this info!  We clearly see BB made his living against bottom feeders of which type doesn't exist in the SEC even now.  WOW!

they exist in every league.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 01:29:11 pm
Show us any coach in any p5 league for 7 years that doesn't make his bones beating up on the bottom 2/3rds of the league. Unless his name is Meyer or Saban I will be shocked.

Without doing any kind of analysis of any group of coaches, I'm gonna say you are right.

And that's why I don't get the rush to defend Bielema's record at Wisconsin as a world beater.

Anyone know what his W/L record was in year 7 at Wisconsin?  At 8/5 he advanced to the B10 CG, because the rest in his division were dogs.  His AD lost the Rose Bowl after BB left for Arkansas.  Ohio St was 12-0 but was in NCAA jail and could play for the B10 championship nor in the bowl season.

Anyway you cut it, Bielema is no better that a lower lever average coach.  Thinking about it, might be even worse.

And, besides all that, BB is apparently a slow learner.  In about any year Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M and often MsSt and Ole Miss will have defensive lines that will match Bielema's OLs.  I still don't think he realizes that.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 08, 2017, 02:19:05 pm
Buddy, you show me a coach we're going to get with Brets record at Wisky and 3 BCS appearances and conference titles.

You goons are so obtuse this week lol

Must be terribly miserable for the crowd still trying to prop up BB, to resort to this sort of name calling.  Has to be difficult, after he has become such an abject failure at coaching the game of football at Arkansas.

In one respect at Arkansas he his matched his  "glorious" record at Wisconsin where he lost to the top teams and beat up on the bottom feeders.  Yes, he lost to the top teams in the SEC.  The part that's different?  He mostly lost to the bottom feeders in the SEC, as well.

Defend the man, and to some degree I'm ok with that.  Can't see defending his tenure as HC at Arkansas.

hehawg

"Couldn't catch a break"        THE BREAK WAS PLAYING COASTAL CAROLINA!!
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

hogsanity

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 09, 2017, 12:11:13 pm
Without doing any kind of analysis of any group of coaches, I'm gonna say you are right.

And that's why I don't get the rush to defend Bielema's record at Wisconsin as a world beater.

Anyone know what his W/L record was in year 7 at Wisconsin?  At 8/5 he advanced to the B10 CG, because the rest in his division were dogs.  His AD lost the Rose Bowl after BB left for Arkansas.  Ohio St was 12-0 but was in NCAA jail and could play for the B10 championship nor in the bowl season.

Anyway you cut it, Bielema is no better that a lower lever average coach.  Thinking about it, might be even worse.

And, besides all that, BB is apparently a slow learner.  In about any year Bama, Auburn, LSU, A&M and often MsSt and Ole Miss will have defensive lines that will match Bielema's OLs.  I still don't think he realizes that.

His record is what it is, just as it is here. I am sorry he won the big10 3 times. He had his team in the bcs top 5 in 2 separate seasons.

Why can't some people just say he is a coach that had a good record one place but did not work out at another? It happens all the time. Look at Jones at Tn, or Sumlin at A&M, or 2 dozen other examples of coaches that did well at one place, another school hires them, and they do not do as well.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE