Previous topic - Next topic

kingoftherapids

Doug O Neil
Peter Miller
Peter Eurton

Gary Stevens (jay fedor) agent
Santana is coming back

userpick

One can only hope Peter E. brings his daughter with him.

kingoftherapids

Also, Yuengling will be served throughout the track

The Hogfather

The Hogfather

Quote from: kingoftherapids on November 17, 2017, 03:24:20 am
Doug O Neil
Peter Miller
Peter Eurton

Santana is coming back

And this.  But, I'm very excited about Yuengling.

Russ22

Quote from: kingoftherapids on November 17, 2017, 03:24:20 am
Doug O Neil
Peter Miller
Peter Eurton

Santana is coming back
Can you elaborate on what this means? I am new to following Oaklawn and horse racing.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

jdelo77

Damn some California blood coming ..

userpick

Quote from: Russ22 on November 17, 2017, 11:54:49 am
Can you elaborate on what this means? I am new to following Oaklawn and horse racing.

Those are big time trainers based in California and they are sending horses to Oaklawn this year according to KOTR. Also, Gary Stevens is a hall of fame jockey and he is also apparently coming.

kingoftherapids

Quote from: userpick on November 17, 2017, 01:25:19 pm
Those are big time trainers based in California and they are sending horses to Oaklawn this year according to KOTR. Also, Gary Stevens is a hall of fame jockey and he is also apparently coming.
Si,  the one thing about riders is they change their mind all the time. as we all know he was supposed to come last year but stayed in Cali. It makes sense for him to come with those trainers coming though.

Russ22

Quote from: userpick on November 17, 2017, 01:25:19 pm
Thanks!

Thanks to you too, kingoftherapids.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

holeinthewall

Would be nice if we got more coverage on TVG instead of TVG2.  Maybe this will help

kingoftherapids

two new barns this year as well. Paseana and Curlin. They were really slow on their backstretch map (5 years out of date) so i hounded them until they made a new one. it is attached.

kingoftherapids

Alan Garcia and Gary Stevens are confirmed

heavylifting

Quote from: kingoftherapids on November 27, 2017, 09:22:10 pm
Alan Garcia and Gary Stevens are confirmed
How about Luis Contreras?

I seem to recall that he did real well late in the meet riding for Steve Asmussen after the latter's falling out with Santana.

Even if he was riding only second call for Asmussen, I would think Contreras could find enough other biz to make it worth his while. Unless he has something brewing at Gulfstream, perhaps.

Any sense of where things are at with Jack Van Berg, considering his health situation? Been a tough year for him, with that and the loss of his son (or was that 2016?).

heavylifting

Earlier this year, in another thread, I asked if anyone knew whatever happened to jockey David Cohen.

Just crickets, but no matter. Just read at DRF that he is going to try to resurrect his career this winter at Oaklawn.

kingoftherapids

Peter Miller is now confirmed, per Mary Rampellini with the DRF

userpick

Quote from: kingoftherapids on November 29, 2017, 02:13:20 pm

He'll win 45%. Hopefully the locals don't bet him early and we get a few $12 winners.

holeinthewall

Quote from: userpick on November 29, 2017, 04:22:58 pm
He'll win 45%. Hopefully the locals don't bet him early and we get a few $12 winners.

Early season always brings those prices.  Horses coming from so many different tracks and class levels running against each other. Just wish we had a turf course.

heavylifting

DRF now reporting that Norman McKnight, second-leading trainer at Woodbine, will bring 20 horses to Oaklawn this winter.

Expect a frenzied claim box.

kingoftherapids

Jinks

Track kitchen and gate drills start today.  Also clockers will be cranked up today.  39 Days until post

userpick

Maldonado coming this year as well.

Horse racer

Jerry Hollendorfer will have a string here as well

kingoftherapids

The show bet bonus will be back for on track...

Barns are over half full

The front entrance where the horse statue stood will be unveiled the day before opening day as an American Pharoah shrine.

holeinthewall

Quote from: kingoftherapids on December 14, 2017, 05:57:53 pm
The show bet bonus will be back for on track...

Barns are over half full

The front entrance where the horse statue stood will be unveiled the day before opening day as an American Pharoah shrine.

Turnstills are gone also.  I guess free admission forever.

The show bonus added a lot of money to the show pools last year.  One of the few tracks you can play show tickets and get back $3.20 or higher in most of the races.

kingoftherapids

yea, i will forever kick myself for not getting a turnstile when they got rid of them.

jdelo77

WBOBO

Quote from: kingoftherapids on November 29, 2017, 02:13:20 pm
Is he coming or sending one of his assistants?
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

kingoftherapids

userpick

Quote from: kingoftherapids on December 18, 2017, 08:04:10 pm
Assistant

Is he still coming? I heard from someone that after the stuff happened at San Luis Rey he might not be.

Lanny

Quote from: kingoftherapids on December 15, 2017, 09:59:24 am
yea, i will forever kick myself for not getting a turnstile when they got rid of them.
i have several for sale at our museum
3339 suite c central ave
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

kingoftherapids

I'll come see you and Chris.  Meant to that night after I saw y'all at taco mama

kingoftherapids

Yuengling will make its oaklawn debut the second weekend of the live meet. American Pharoah entrance will unveil the day before opening day

jdelo77

Will Tom Van Berg be training his fathers horses now ?

The Hogfather

Quote from: kingoftherapids on December 29, 2017, 11:55:59 am
Yuengling will make its oaklawn debut the second weekend of the live meet. American Pharoah entrance will unveil the day before opening day

Why the 2nd weekend?

kingoftherapids

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 09, 2018, 02:04:21 pm
Why the 2nd weekend?

Couldnt get it shipped here in time for opening weekend. they have to setup for it as well. and that will take place the dark days next week.

kingoftherapids

Quote from: jdelo77 on January 09, 2018, 01:26:53 pm
Will Tom Van Berg be training his fathers horses now ?
Yep. the purple and gold will still be flying high. Root for Tom. he has monster shoes to fill. Sonny has been with Jack 36 years and will keep running the bulk of the operation. I think Tom will be more of the manager/books guy and name attached.

kingoftherapids

By the way. it was a beautiful service. Chris Mccarron spoke of alysheba, gary stevens spoke, frank lyons spoke, brian lynch spoke (who is HILARIOUS), billy gowan spoke, and countless others. 2.5 hours service at the convention center. last night they had the family and a couple really close friends at the oaklawn chapel for mcclards bbq. i looked up and there was bill mott. it was amazing to see how many folks showed up from all over the world. 3 trainers with english/irish accents spoke yesterday. quite the testament for a cowboy from nebraska.

kingoftherapids

oh and his casket was draped in a bed of roses.

HawgWild

January 09, 2018, 03:53:15 pm #39 Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:46:30 pm by HawgWild
Thanks for that bit of information. Sounds like a wonderful service.

I'll never forget seeing him saddle Gate Dancer in the infield for the 1984 Arkansas Derby. What the heck was that thing he was putting on his head!  ;D He was the first horse I'd seen outfitted with that contraption. He ran well enough to win the Preakness that year.

jdelo77

Quote from: kingoftherapids on January 09, 2018, 03:01:18 pm
oh and his casket was draped in a bed of roses.

Freaking awesome ...thanks for all info !!!

cbhawg03

Who trains Song of Mine? Seen her work? She anything close to her half-sister?