Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: State braced for Battle over the Cowbells

Started by jbcarol, May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hogfather

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 26, 2010, 09:07:40 am
How they have been allowed to so blatantly violate the noisemaker policy for so many years is beyond me. 

This is long overdue...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5727697

Definitely!  Get rid of them.  I don't care how long they've been doing this.  This isn't a "tradition" that needs to remain.  If they don't ban it, every Arkansas fan should bring an airhorn and blow it all game.

beantownhog

The SEC can't get the officials to correctly call the game on the field--even with video review!  How in the world do they think that they are gonna police the stands? They've already changed the rule once, and to no avail! Besides, I've attended several games in Starkville, and the cowbells are not that loud.  Moreover, I think that the bells are part of the gameday atmosphere that contributes to the overall experience of college sports. 
If your tax refund equals your taxes paid in, you don't pay taxes.

booogaga

Quote from: hogfan064 on October 26, 2010, 09:14:07 am
I like the cowbells and hope they keep them
yeah i thought they were cool as well  until one of their fans sat behind me at a LR game and rang the damn thing the entire game. it was horrible. i had a headache the size of my lawn afterwards lol.
GO HOGS!

code red

I wonder if we will get a nite game vs. MSU??
bama vs. GA State
LSU vs. Ole Miss
UF vs. Appy State
UK vs. Charleston
SC vs. Troy
Tenn vs. Vandy

Will we get the 11 or 2:30 slot?? It looks like it.  That would be to our advantage.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Albert Einswine

Maybe all Hog fans should just start rollin' into RRS and WMS with snare drums.  How would it be different?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 26, 2010, 09:47:08 am
Maybe all Hog fans should just start rollin' into RRS and WMS with snare drums.  How would it be different?

Vuvezelas.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: beantownhog on October 26, 2010, 09:45:11 am
The SEC can't get the officials to correctly call the game on the field--even with video review!  How in the world do they think that they are gonna police the stands? They've already changed the rule once, and to no avail! Besides, I've attended several games in Starkville, and the cowbells are not that loud.  Moreover, I think that the bells are part of the gameday atmosphere that contributes to the overall experience of college sports. 

Easy.  Just start assessing 15 yard penalties until it stops.

I'm really surprised so many on this board are in support of the cowbells.  I have no problem with them using them to celebrate touchdowns, etc.  But they are used by lazy people to make noise while the visiting team is on offense.  That is a violation of SEC rules.

If we lose at MSU, you guys will change your mind.

cityhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 26, 2010, 09:44:45 am
Definitely!  Get rid of them.  I don't care how long they've been doing this.  This isn't a "tradition" that needs to remain.  If they don't ban it, every Arkansas fan should bring an airhorn and blow it all game.

this ^^

HF#1

Yeah they should get rid of them.  I say ban them right before the week we go to Starkville. :razorback:
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

StoernerJonesFan

Coincidence that they start really stepping up on banning cowbells the same year that Miss St beats Florida, Georgia and almost beats Auburn...

"Cant let them cellar dwellers get too good now!"
-Mike Slive

StoernerJonesFan

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 26, 2010, 09:54:23 am

I'm really surprised so many on this board are in support of the cowbells.  I have no problem with them using them to celebrate touchdowns, etc.  But they are used by lazy people to make noise while the visiting team is on offense.  That is a violation of SEC rules.

I can see it now...we start on the 20 yard line, fans start ringing cowbells

FLAG: Violation of use of noise makers (Unsportsmanlike Conduct?) - 15 yards.

Fans get outraged that their cowbells just gave us 15 yards...start ringing louder

FLAG: Noisemakers violation - 15 yards.

Fans too dumb and angry to realize they are moving us down the field, continue ringing cowbells

FLAG: Noisemakers violation - 15 yards

Dan Mullen and staff furiously screaming at the home crowd to stop ringing...again fans too ignorant to do otherwise

FLAG: Noisemakers violation - 15 yards

Before we realize it, they arent issuing 15 yrd penalties anymore, but rather 1/2 the distance to the goal...until finally the refs let it go and we do a QB sneak for a 1 yrd TD. 

Haha!  Keep it up Bulldog fans!  Arkansas wins with only 100 yards of total offense 41-13

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 26, 2010, 09:50:12 am
Vuvezelas.
Hell yeah, I got one. We bring them into WMS and blow em all game and they will ban ALL sound-makers after that.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

josh_sec33

About time. I knew the "compromise" was doomed to fail. MSU fans aren't that smart.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

V. V. Hawg

I hope it goes away. I hate cowbell noise (except when "I want more cowbell" is on youtube :)  )!!!  Now, if you plan on blowing an air horn all game long you better bring a sac full of em!!  They don't last very long...

TomballHog

Quote from: beantownhog on October 26, 2010, 09:45:11 am
Moreover, I think that the bells are part of the gameday atmosphere that contributes to the overall experience of college sports.

I agree.  Whats next?  Calling the Hogs is too distracting and they ask us to stop?

DukeOfPork

If MSU has cowbells for a tradition, then we should establish flares as our tradition.  We could do it soccer style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y81_TyEQZzI

The Hogfather

Quote from: TomballHog on October 26, 2010, 10:18:35 am
I agree.  Whats next?  Calling the Hogs is too distracting and they ask us to stop?

You have to be kidding me.  My mouth is not artificial.  They can imitate a cowbell with their mouths all they want.  They just can't use artificial noisemakers.  Period.

The Hogfather

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 26, 2010, 10:20:17 am
If MSU has cowbells for a tradition, then we should establish flares as our tradition.  We could do it soccer style:

Let's just all bring in shotguns.

kitarae

They're annoying and cause major headaches. I went to Starkville one year and walking into the stadium I had numerous people ring the darned things right next to my head.

phadedhawg

Let 'em have their cowbells...

Traditions are more important than a silly rule.  Once all tradition is stripped from college football it will be as lifeless as the NFL.

Jimmy

Quote from: kitarae on October 26, 2010, 10:43:57 am
They're annoying and cause major headaches. I went to Starkville one year and walking into the stadium I had numerous people ring the darned things right next to my head.

That's my experience as well. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 26, 2010, 11:17:38 am

Traditions are more important than a silly rule.  Once all tradition is stripped from college football it will be as lifeless as the NFL.

C'mon.  This isn't just a tradition.  They said they can ring them during breaks and to celebrate, etc.  Just not during play.  They actually have to cheer, clap, and yell.  Oh, the horror!

losthawg68

Re:  I just came into some money...
Quote from: cosmodrum on April 01, 2011, 01:34:40 pm
Why money...didn't have a sock or tissue handy?

Quote from: Slacker on August 14, 2012, 10:57:10 pm
God Damn you Lost....

BallHog1

If they take away the cowbells how will MSU call their cheerleaders out of the pasture to the stadium?

JONAS

What the SEC ought to do is not let them share in any BCS money.  They can split theirs amongst the other 12 schools.  This would definitely stop the cowbells.

baitshop

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 26, 2010, 10:20:17 am

Soccer and their retarded fans.... ::)
"Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them" - Ronald Reagan

Pignutx32

Everyone on here who is a fan of the cowbells would think differently if they were used to keep our QB/coaches from being able to communicate with the team and cost us a game.  It affected AU.  They had 2 false starts due to it.  I understand that MSU is a weak team, but those of you who have been an Arkansas fan a while understand what it's like to feel like you have a game won and then a let down here, or a obviously missed instant replay or two there and now you are losing a game!  Are you ok with that as long as MSU gets to keep their "traditions"???!!!

I got in to this argument with an MSU fan and he told me that we shouldn't complain because they are horrible, and that the hogs have "3" ??? stadiums to play at, a state to ourselves to recruit from, Tyson money and Jerry Jones money.  He felt like that was an unfair advantage to us and that they should be able to cheat.  If that is the case then teams should be able to play with 12 on the field when they play USC-w because they have the beach to draw recruits!  I asked him if they let Alcorn state have 5 downs to make a first when they beat them 49-16 since MSU has an unfair advantage against them!

It's against the rules regardless of how weak the team is!

Inhogswetrust

I don't care one way or the other. I'm actually surprised more schools in cold weather climates don't have them. I'm a skier and have been to the winter Olympics. The reason you see and hear them during the Olympics is because of the cold weather with everbody wearing gloves that is about the only way to make enough noise for competitors to hear you cheering.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Aston Martin 8 dude

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 26, 2010, 09:07:40 am
How they have been allowed to so blatantly violate the noisemaker policy for so many years is beyond me. 

This is long overdue...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5727697
This one I'll have to see before I believe. Supposedly the SEC had a long time ban on such with MSU only to never be able to enforce for some reason. I suppose they were spending all their time and efforts in signing the best refs in the country (cough). I always felt that the best means of enforcing the rule would be to give the crowd a warning at the start of the game. At the first infraction give the "Dogs" a five yard penalty for delay of game. If that doesn't do it then for every offense thereafter mark off a penalty of team fifteen yards for"unsportsman-like-conduct". I believe this would eventually sink in with even those "numb nuts".

cityhog

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 26, 2010, 11:17:38 am

You've obviously never been to NY Giants vs. any NFC East division game.  That atmosphere is ANYTHING but lifeless.

Torqued pork

October 26, 2010, 02:10:52 pm #80 Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 04:07:48 pm by Bubbaswinestein
Ringing cowbells when the opposing team's offense is trying to hear the snap count gives MSU an unfair advantage.

greasy_corner

October 26, 2010, 02:19:29 pm #81 Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 02:21:20 pm by greasy_corner
All those in favor of the keeping the cowbells are either State fans or pretty ignorant fans of the schools that have to play State.  As many movement penalities as we get from our line play this year, Hog fans should be super sensitive to this issue.   

Artifical noisemakers are not allowed.  Long standing rule.

Ban 'em, fine 'em, move 'em back, and cut their Bells OFF!

SquidBilly

You know if the opposing teams fans were smart they'd buy cowbells and take them to the Miss State games in Starkville.  Then when Miss State's offense takes the field start ringing those bells as loudly as you can.  The ignorant Miss State fans would hear the bells ringing and start ringing their cowbells too making it where their own offense couldn't function.  Pretty sure the Miss State administration would put a stop to it themselves then.

New Pig In Town

Quote from: cityhog on October 26, 2010, 01:39:00 pm
You've obviously never been to NY Giants vs. any NFC East division game.  That atmosphere is ANYTHING but lifeless.

Or a Chiefs game at Arrowhead.  Arrowhead is about as close as you can get to a college atmospere in the NFL.

Proud member of the War Memorial Mafia

DukeOfPork

Quote from: mtip on October 26, 2010, 02:30:39 pm
Or a Chiefs game at Arrowhead.  Arrowhead is about as close as you can get to a college atmospere in the NFL.

Arrowhead has been top notch for a long time.  Chiefs fans are pretty solid.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 26, 2010, 12:09:47 pm
The reason you see and hear them during the Olympics is because of the cold weather with everbody wearing gloves that is about the only way to make enough noise for competitors to hear you cheering.

And all this time I thought the noise I made while cheering was coming out of my mouth.  I had no idea it came from my hands and that wearing gloves would mute it.

You learn something new every day in MMQB!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hillhog

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 26, 2010, 10:21:52 am
You have to be kidding me.  My mouth is not artificial.  They can imitate a cowbell with their mouths all they want.  They just can't use artificial noisemakers.  Period.
I agree. The cowbells are a plain, simple,undeniable flagrant violation of the rules. The SEC officials are turning a blind eye by letting it continue while assessing a penalty on coaches for speaking out about cheating game officials. If one rule can be ignored why not other rules??

the donger

All that has to be done is the other Athletic Directors get together and agree to do the same thing to them when they play. The fine is a drop in the bucket(something like $5000 for first time offense.) Will see how much they like the noise when they are trying to audible at the line.

dddollars

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 26, 2010, 11:28:20 am
C'mon.  This isn't just a tradition.  They said they can ring them during breaks and to celebrate, etc.  Just not during play.  They actually have to cheer, clap, and yell.  Oh, the horror!

LOL best post of the thread! Ya these thing need to be gone. No other school could get away with this so why should they.

moses_007

I've never understood why MSU had cowbells in the first place. They're bulldogs, not longhorns.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: moses_007 on October 26, 2010, 04:43:25 pm
I've never understood why MSU had cowbells in the first place. They're bulldogs, not longhorns.

Because they're Ags and Ole Miss called them a "cow school".  So they just went with that and started bringing cow bells.

Dwight_K_Shrute

From MSU website, funny how they act like cowbells are not used during games.

The Cowbell
The most unique and certainly the most resounding symbol of Mississippi State University tradition is the cowbell. Despite decades of attempts by opponents and authorities to banish it from scenes of competition, diehard State fans still celebrate Bulldog victories loudly and proudly with the distinctive sound of ringing cowbells.

The precise origin of the cowbell as a fixture of Mississippi State sports tradition remains unclear to this day. The best records have cowbells gradually introduced to the MSU sports scene in the late 1930s and early 1940s, coinciding with the 'golden age' of Mississippi State football success
prior to World War II.

The most popular legend is that during a home football game between State and arch-rival Mississippi, a jersey cow wandered onto the playing field. Mississippi State soundly whipped the Rebels that Saturday, and State College students immediately adopted the cow as a good luck charm. Students are said to have continued bringing a cow to football games for a while, until the practice was eventually discontinued in favor of bringing just the cow's bell.

Whatever the origin, it is certain that by the 1950s cowbells were common at Mississippi State games, and by the 1960s were established as the special symbol of Mississippi State. Ironically, the cowbell's popularity grew most rapidly during the long years when State football teams were rarely successful. Flaunting this anachronism from the 'aggie' days was a proud response by students and alumni to outsider scorn of the university's 'cow college' history.

In the 1960s two MSU professors, Earl W. Terrell and Ralph L. Reeves obliged some students by welding handles on the bells to they could be rung with much more convenience and authority. By 1963 the demand for these long-handled cowbells could not be filled by home workshops alone, so at the suggestion of Reeves the Student Association bought bells in bulk and the Industrial Education Club agreed to weld on handles. In 1964 the MSU Bookstore began marketing these cowbells with a portion of the profits returning to these student organizations.

Today many styles of cowbells are available on campus and around Starkville, with the top-of-the-line a heavy chrome-plated model with a full Bulldog figurine handle. But experts insist the best and loudest results are produced by a classic long-handled, bicycle-grip bell made of thinner and tightly-welded shells.

Cowbells decorate offices and homes of Mississippi State alumni, and are passed down through generations of Bulldog fans. But they are not heard at Southeastern Conference gamesnot legally, at leastsince the 1974 adoption of a conference rule against 'artificial noisemakers' at football and basketball games. On a 9-1 vote SEC schools ruled cowbells a disruption and banned them.

This has done little harm to the cowbell's popularity, however, or to prevent cowbells from being heard outside stadiums in which the Bulldogs are playing. They can still be heard at non-conference football contests, as well as other sporting events on campus. And bold Bulldog fans still risk confiscation for the privilege of keeping a unique Mississippi State tradition alive and ringing at SEC affairs.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HOGPICKER

Why have a rule you don't even attempt to enforce?  I hate those cowbells just because it's a flagrant infraction.  If you are in favor of MSU keeping their tradition then abolish the rule.  I bet on road games when the noise is impossible to deal with you want the rule reinstated.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."  Joe Theismann

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I remember when this rule came out, a lot of folks said the sec would let it go.until msu started beating the big boys.  Taking down Fla. In the swamp is all it took.  Slive is such a low life sleaze. 

That msu week weak sec lineup just might give us another check game.  OM is gonna be so bad they can't pass up a 2 loss ark and a 1 loss msu.  the rest of the league is playing ooc or matching up doormats
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 26, 2010, 09:54:23 am

I agree.  Start throwing flags, specially if their opponent is on offense & they are ringing them.

Bet Miss State would get this fixed pretty quick after the 15 yarders get marched off a few times.

If they (Miss State) can ring their bells, all other teams in the conference should be able to bring in their air horns, bells, etc. while the other team has the ball.

Whoever heard of a conference that allowed only one team to break a conference rule???
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

JONAS

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on October 26, 2010, 11:48:58 pm
I agree.  Start throwing flags, specially if their opponent is on offense & they are ringing them.

Bet Miss State would get this fixed pretty quick after the 15 yarders get marched off a few times.

If they (Miss State) can ring their bells, all other teams in the conference should be able to bring in their air horns, bells, etc. while the other team has the ball.

Whoever heard of a conference that allowed only one team to break a conference rule???

I agree.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: BallHog1 on October 26, 2010, 11:33:46 am
If they take away the cowbells how will MSU call their cheerleaders out of the pasture to the stadium?

Pickup truck driven slowly by the cheerleaders.....with several bales of hay in the bed, will follow truck right into stadium.

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

hogninja

Quote from: ATLpiggie on October 26, 2010, 02:28:35 pm
You know if the opposing teams fans were smart they'd buy cowbells and take them to the Miss State games in Starkville.  Then when Miss State's offense takes the field start ringing those bells as loudly as you can.  The ignorant Miss State fans would hear the bells ringing and start ringing their cowbells too making it where their own offense couldn't function.  Pretty sure the Miss State administration would put a stop to it themselves then.
Great idea!!,  The reason (IMHO) that the Sec made the rule this year was to see if MSST could adhere to the new rule and if they couldn't then ban them.  Why not turn the tables on them at their own house!!?  Do It! ;D :razorback:

fantom