Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Herbstreit owns Hog fan

Started by Peter Porker, December 31, 2017, 02:50:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wild Bill Hog

RME

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 02, 2018, 01:22:40 pm
Why did our team go 4-8?

Probably because the SEC didn't bring in enough money.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 02, 2018, 01:16:25 pm
So, you truly believe Texas fans were rooting for Oklahoma? Florida fans rooting for Georgia? Florida State fans rooting for Clemson? Arkansas fans rooting for LSU? Auburn fans rooting for Alabama?

All just to prop up their respective conferences? Or for tradition?

No, it's an SEC tradition. Seriously what is the big god darned deal? Do you think following this tradition has some how made Arkansas worse? No, of course not. Alabama fans chant SEC SEC if Auburn beats a non conference team, it hasn't seemed to have hurt them any.

Complaining about this is some weak sauce bro.

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 02, 2018, 01:25:23 pm
No, it's an SEC tradition. Seriously what is the big god darned deal? Do you think following this tradition has some how made Arkansas worse? No, of course not. Alabama fans chant SEC SEC if Auburn beats a non conference team, it hasn't seemed to have hurt them any.

No one is complaining about it. You were attempting to make the case that conference rivals winning their bowl games somehow benefits the Razorbacks. It may benefit the Universities as a whole, but it hasn't been carried over to Razorback football.

RME

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 02, 2018, 01:25:23 pm

I wasn't complaining.

I was saying I don't understand people rooting for teams who want to whip our ass every year. But I don't understand a lot of things so that's nothing new.

To each their own.

Occams Razorback

Yea, but you know what? Towards the end of the Sugar Bowl, the Alabama fans were doing the SEC SEC SEC chant pretty loudly - they're proud of the league as well as their own team and we should be too - Herbstriet is a yankee and they're just different
If it makes crumbs, it's probably not good for you.

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 02, 2018, 01:32:21 pm
I wasn't complaining.

I was saying I don't understand people rooting for teams who want to whip our ass every year. But I don't understand a lot of things so that's nothing new.

To each their own.

I understand the concept of someone views it like a sibling rivalry and anyone from the outside is automatically rooted against. There's not a snowballs chance in hell that I'd EVER cheer for A&M, Ole Miss...and the ONLY time I've rooted for LSU was while they were playing Notre Dame.

Peter Porker

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 01:39:26 pm
I understand the concept of someone views it like a sibling rivalry and anyone from the outside is automatically rooted against. There's not a snowballs chance in hell that I'd EVER cheer for A&M, Ole Miss...and the ONLY time I've rooted for LSU was while they were playing Notre Dame.

It's not a sibling rivalry. It's war and BAMA, UGA, LSU, Auburn etc are ISIS, Red China, North Korea, Imperial Japan, Nazi Germany, etc
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Peter Porker

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 01:31:08 pm
No one is complaining about it. You were attempting to make the case that conference rivals winning their bowl games somehow benefits the Razorbacks. It may benefit the Universities as a whole, but it hasn't been carried over to Razorback football.

There's no benefit to our win/loss record.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

RME

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 02, 2018, 01:51:14 pm

Exactly. I can't mess with the Clemson alum at the bar by saying "yeah well we're in the SEC and pull in more money!" when he can look at me and say, "okay, keep your money and we'll keep our wins."

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 01:31:08 pm

Of course it has carried over, that big money is what has allowed a program that has sucked ball the last 5 years to go ahead and make major facility upgrades anyway. It is what has created an environment where the RF could go ahead and take a $15M to get rid of a coach who wasn't winning as much as we would like to try someone else. Etc etc.

I think what you mean to say is that money hasn't translated to direct on the field results, and that is true, but it HAS allowed us to build a program that can have success if we get the right coach.

We have greatly benefited from being in the SEC. Even if we probably could have won more ball games in a different conference.

Peter Porker

January 02, 2018, 02:49:09 pm #161 Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:08:23 pm by Peter Porker
Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 02, 2018, 02:23:22 pm
Of course it has carried over, that big money is what has allowed a program that has sucked ball the last 5 years to go ahead and make major facility upgrades anyway. It is what has created an environment where the RF could go ahead and take a $15M to get rid of a coach who wasn't winning as much as we would like to try someone else. Etc etc.

I think what you mean to say is that money hasn't translated to direct on the field results, and that is true, but it HAS allowed us to build a program that can have success if we get the right coach.

We have greatly benefited from being in the SEC. Even if we probably could have won more ball games in a different conference.

So says Kentucky, Vandy, etc. Everyone just needs "the right coach". Meanwhile, the blue bloods you howl SEC, SEC, SEC for keep bringing in the 5 star talent. 5 star talent that wants to go to Bama  so they can win championships instead of Arkansas where we get beat by Bama and then cheer them on.

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 02, 2018, 02:23:22 pm

What you are calling benefits to the program haven't shown to be beneficial in the least because, and let's be honest here, the only measuring stick in regards the a football program's success is in the W & L columns. We all know how anemic the W column has been as of late. The Razorback's benefits will come in the form of (in order) better coaches, better players, better product on the field, higher win percentage, better publicity for the program...wash, rinse repeat. Non of those riding on the back of whether other SEC teams win or lose their bowl games.

BroyledNutts

I wonder if Herbie would autograph a Citrus Bowl Championship hat if I sent it to him?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 02, 2018, 05:23:08 pm
I wonder if Herbie would autograph a Citrus Bowl Championship hat if I sent it to him?

Lol
This is my non-signature signature.

Jimmy

After living near a retirement community and the "assertive" folks there for many years, I am immune to what others have to say about Arkansas.  I've heard it all, some of it true.  Most of it just made up stuff to make them feel better about themselves. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 02, 2018, 01:50:21 pm
It's not a sibling rivalry. It's war and BAMA, UGA, LSU, Auburn etc are ISIS, Red China, North Korea, Imperial Japan, Nazi Germany, etc

No...it's nowhere close. Lighten up Francis. Geez. You've been harping on this for several days. It's freaking college football...not life or death.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Jimmy on January 02, 2018, 06:49:52 pm
After living near a retirement community and the "assertive" folks there for many years, I am immune to what others have to say about Arkansas.  I've heard it all, some of it true.  Most of it just made up stuff to make them feel better about themselves. 

Sounds like a bunch of the posters  on HV.

Bash

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 02, 2018, 01:51:14 pm

Better draft picks?  Wait...sorry...losing is only a benefit in the NFL.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Peter Porker

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 02, 2018, 08:40:14 pm
No...it's nowhere close. Lighten up Francis. Geez. You've been harping on this for several days. It's freaking college football...not life or death.

You're not a fan. You are an observer.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 02, 2018, 09:47:08 pm

Been a fan for nearly 50 years. I'll bet I've sat thru a lot more games than you have.
Nice try.

Peter Porker

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 02, 2018, 10:01:38 pm
Been a fan for nearly 50 years. I'll bet I've sat thru a lot more games than you have.
Nice try.

Observer.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 02, 2018, 10:06:24 pm
Observer.

How old are you? Also, Is your name etched in the sidewalk on campus?
Just curious.

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 02, 2018, 09:47:08 pm

Love god. Love others. It's that simple, right?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 10:10:29 pm

That's what he claims. Was about to point that out myself. +1

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 02, 2018, 10:11:43 pm
That's what he claims. Was about to point that out myself. +1

Accusing someone with a different opinion of not being a fan is bush league and pretty mean spirited.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 02, 2018, 01:50:21 pm

One of these days you will probably, or maybe you make it a point to avoid them, have some experience with someone who has a real problem.  If that happens you will learn what serious really means.  If that happens you will learn very quickly what is important in real life, and what is just a kid's game.

(notOM)Rebel123

January 02, 2018, 10:31:30 pm #177 Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:49:42 pm by (notOM)Rebel123
Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 10:15:08 pm
Accusing someone with a different opinion of not being a fan is bush league and pretty mean spirited.

Yes. Most certainly when he has absolutely no idea how much time or $ I've invested in the program. But that's the way many people are these days. Sadly.

Deep down, he's probably a Red Wolves fan just trolling. 😉

Peter Porker

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 10:10:29 pm

Lol I'm not breaking those words. Nice strawman. I'm just letting a guy, who thought he was a fan, know that he actually isn't a fan at all.
There's no way in the world you can be a fan of Arkansas and then pull for a team that's beaten Arkansas for over a decade straight. There's no way you can be a fan of Arkansas and pull for Alabama when Alabama comes into Arkansas and pulls whatever top talent they want. Now, he may like Arkansas, but to be a fan is to have a huge dislike, a huge disdain for Arkansas' rivals. Rivals don't cheer for rivals.

You have a son. The big bully in the neighborhood wants to fight your son. He comes to your backyard and whips your son. Over and over. Then the bully says, "I'm going to the next neighborhood and I'm going to whip the toughest guy over there." You look at your wife and say, "I'm going to go cheer him on. If he wins it makes our son look better."

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 03, 2018, 04:04:08 am
Lol I'm not breaking those words. Nice strawman. I'm just letting a guy, who thought he was a fan, know that he actually isn't a fan at all.
There's no way in the world you can be a fan of Arkansas and then pull for a team that's beaten Arkansas for over a decade straight. There's no way you can be a fan of Arkansas and pull for Alabama when Alabama comes into Arkansas and pulls whatever top talent they want. Now, he may like Arkansas, but to be a fan is to have a huge dislike, a huge disdain for Arkansas' rivals. Rivals don't cheer for rivals.

You have a son. The big bully in the neighborhood wants to fight your son. He comes to your backyard and whips your son. Over and over. Then the bully says, "I'm going to the next neighborhood and I'm going to whip the toughest guy over there." You look at your wife and say, "I'm going to go cheer him on. If he wins it makes our son look better."

One failed argument from you after another.  Also, who made you the all knowing judge of who is and who is not acceptable?  Let me make it easy for you - nobody did.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 03, 2018, 05:16:59 am
One failed argument from you after another.  Also, who made you the all knowing judge of who is and who is not acceptable?  Let me make it easy for you - nobody did.

It's an opinion, Bama fan.

LZH

Cordless drill on a cheese grater...... aaaah!

We get it.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 03, 2018, 06:16:17 am

Well, now we know you aren't all knowing after all because you are so wrong, Gus lover.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 03, 2018, 06:16:17 am

You still haven't answered my questions...

Wild Bill Hog

Peter Porker

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 03, 2018, 06:27:18 am
Well, now we know you aren't all knowing after all because you are so wrong, Gus lover.

Lol

Peter Porker

HamboFirstBlood

You ever see a bully meet at mid field and handshake before the fight? Have you ever seen a bully meet after the game and congratulate or shoot the breeze with the person he just fought? Your analogy failed before you regurgitated it into a post. It's such a terrible analogy I feel embarrassed for you that it has to be explained to you.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 10:15:08 pm

LOL Hogville is all about bush league and mean spiritdness.

Well let's just be honest, all message boards are.

Hardcore Hoggy

Well, we certainly aren't rivals to Bama, so guess I can root for them.

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 03, 2018, 10:23:37 am
LOL Hogville is all about bush league and mean spiritdness.

Well let's just be honest, all message boards are.

Can't a guy virtue signal in peace around here.

Science Fiction Greg

Some serious gatekeeping up in this thread.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 03, 2018, 10:27:03 am
Can't a guy virtue signal in peace around here.

My bad, can I get you something? Tissue? Water? Therapy llama?

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: Hardcore Hoggy on January 03, 2018, 10:32:38 am
My bad, can I get you something? Tissue? Water? Therapy llama?

Did you just assume my preferred therapy animal?

Kneph13

Quote from: RebHog on December 31, 2017, 06:28:13 pm
The past success of the SEC landed that TV deal which in turn brought us more money so in the long term yes it does. The SEC when considered the premiere conference makes the road easier to being ranked and getting to higher bowls. Think Alabama or Georgia will hurt in recruiting if the lose tomorrow...I seriously doubt that.

Yes, the SEC brought us more money...and losing football.
There is no Political Correctness in war

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Kneph13 on January 03, 2018, 10:51:44 am
Yes, the SEC brought us more money...and losing football.

The SEC didn't bring us losing football.  We earned that all by ourselves.  The SEC money gives us the chance to be successful.  We just need to use it in a better way.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 31, 2017, 05:46:23 pm
I root for teams involving gambling or against enemies of the Hogs. Otherwise, its easy to watch football with no rooting interest and simply for the love of sports.
I agree.  I love college football so much i sometimes watch games that I have no betting interest or like/dislike of a team and just enjoy the game.  I am not a conference lover or hater but there are several teams I like or dislike regardless of conference affiliation.  I think conference affiliation is so over rated it's ridiculous.  It's about teams, not leagues. If Ohio St switched to the ACC or big 12 or whatever they would still be a good program.  If Illinois did the same thing they would still be a bad program. 

RME

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 03, 2018, 11:10:47 am
The SEC didn't bring us losing football.  We earned that all by ourselves.  The SEC money gives us the chance to be successful.  We just need to use it in a better way.

Like what?

Facilities are considered best of the best. Marketing and brand awareness are definitely already there.

So unless we use that SEC money to pay 5* recruits or to hire Nick Saban away from Alabama, what exactly else are we supposed to do with it?

Hardcore Hoggy

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 03, 2018, 11:34:41 am
Like what?

Facilities are considered best of the best. Marketing and brand awareness are definitely already there.

So unless we use that SEC money to pay 5* recruits or to hire Nick Saban away from Alabama, what exactly else are we supposed to do with it?

Short of hiring better coaches there really isn't much the UA could have done differently over the last 10 years, and that's hindsight really. At the time, of course, we thought we had the right coach's.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 03, 2018, 11:34:41 am
Like what?

Well, maybe we should just ask ASU to sponsor us into the Sunbelt. 

We will probably never successfully go head-to-head with Alabama while Saban is there.  No one else in the country is doing it either.  What we can do is work to successfully go head-to-head recruiting against Okie Lite, Mizzou, TCU, Baylor, Houston, TAMU, Ole Miss, MS State, and grab a few recruits away from Texas and Okie.  Until we are able to do that, we are not going to be able to do any better than we are now.  Lets worry about our own neighborhood before we start worrying about schools half way across the country from us.

We need the right coaching staff in place for starters.  Do we have that in place and/or on the horizon, I don't know and no one else does either at this point.  What I do know is we got rid of the albatrosses of Long and Bert despite the money it cost.  That alone is a big improvement and shows we have leadership on The Hill that wants a winning program.