Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogville Roti League sign-Up Thread

Started by Oklahawg, February 21, 2005, 09:28:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

February 21, 2005, 09:28:04 pm Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 12:23:52 pm by Oklahawg
Guys, Windy City Hog and I are needing to start getting serious with the hogville roti league.

We need your Hogville nickname, the format you prefer (points, rotisserie, either, and whether you want an auction or serpentine draft), MLB league you prefer (AL, NL, both, either). I've included a few of you who've already indicated an interest. Just PM me to update our roster. If you lose interest and no longer want on the list PM me as well.

We're looking at a mid-March draft/auction. I'll spell out our ideas for league specifics in a non-stickied post.

Oklahawg                  Roti          Auction          Either
Windy City Hog          Either        Either            Either
El Dog Hog                Roti          Draft              Both
Razorback Jedi           Roti           Draft              Both
Razor Matt                Either        Draft              Either
Brett Hitman Hog       Roti           Draft             Either
Bigt54                      Roti           Draft             Either
JayHog                     Either        Draft              Either
Bigdreadhog              Roti          Auction          Either
Hog Storm                Roti           Either             Either
Justice Hawg             Roti          Either             Either
Mossfan3                   Roti          Draft              Either
Porkahantas              Roti          Either             Either

If you've Pmed or posted interest we'll be sure to save you a spot. 10 is generally a minimum for an AL- or NL-only league. Enough interest and we could have an AL and an NL. (Hint to rookies--avoid a league with your favorite MLB team!).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

The consensus:  5x5 rotisserie format using BA, HR, RBI, SB and Runs for offense and Wins, Saves, ERA, WHIP (Walks+Hits/IP) and Strikeouts for pitching; serpentine draft (we'll "Draw Straws" for the order) where you reverse the order each round (you draft 1st one round and last the next); players from both leagues will be available.

Suggestions (PM me with commentary so we don't clutter this announcement): 5 player reserve squad made up of any undrafted player or prospect; the site Windy selects for us will determine roster move rules; you may draft whomever under the assumption we can keep players should we continue this next year (rules to be determined...suggestions welcome so its up-front knowledge).

Strong Recommendations: Even though Windy has offered to pay for this I think we should each contribute towards the cost of the league. And, I'd like to ask for you to think about contributing an extra $10-15 so there is a prize pool.

Prize Pool Idea: 12 owners (say) at $10 each is $120 in prize money.
$5 to whoever has the best week in each of the 10 categories. Say, HitMan Hog has a .431 BA the 3rd week of June and no one else has a higher BA all year long for a one-week period, then HitMan Hog gets $5 from the pot.
$20 to 1st place
$15 to 2nd place
$10 to 3rd place
$5 to 4th place
$5 to 5th place

$10 to the team making the biggest point improvement from July 1st to the end of the year. $5 to 2nd place in point improvement.

The prizes are set up to provide motivation to continue playing and also keep interest going throughout the season. Yeah, $5 ain't much but it's enough to keep watching what's going on.

One other item: I'm kicking around the idea of doing the draft using the Hogville chat room. It allows other hogvillians to watch and we can stretch the draft out over a couple of days, as needed, to allow for our schedules. Thoughts?

Again, PM with ideas, concerns, suggestions.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

mossfan3

Mossfan3 I don't care what kind of league it is.  I do prefer a live draft.

WindyCityHog

C'mon guys....let's get this roti league going....It would be nice to get a 20-team league going....a NL and a AL......PM Okla or me....

Let's generate some interest.

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 27, 2005, 03:44:01 am
Yeah, $5 ain't much but it's enough to keep watching what's going on.

It's a chance to get some back if you don't come in first.  I think It's a great idea.  I can't wait.

Oklahawg

UPDATE:

I'd like to draft the roti league either the weekend of March 11-13 or March 18-20. I've put large windows down for the draft because I think we can use the hogville chat room and customize how we do this. If we set up a (for instance) 8pm CDT start and use a serpentine draft then we can archive the results and if we have to break off for a while and come back a 2nd time that's fine.

While I'd prefer an auction its much more time-intensive. Nothing is set in stone but the first thing out of the chute might benefit from a serpentine draft. Operating under the presumption of playing next year, up to 5 players from the draft may be retained next year but they are frozen 2 rounds earlier than you took them this year. Thus, the first 2 rounds of players are automatically back in the draft next year. If you get, say, Jason Bay in round 7 and keep him next year you don't get a round 5 pick. Reserve players (up to 2) who you keep for next year must be retained active for the 2006 draft and will slot in the 13th (1st player) and 16th (2nd player) rounds.

23 man roster:
2 Catchers, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, extra 1B/3B (either; CIF for corner infield in roti shorthand); extra 2B/SS (either; MIF for middle infield); 5 OF, 9 P, and one UT player that can play any position or pitch.
5 player reserve roster: anyone not taken in the draft; minor leaguers; Japanese players; college players.

Free agency: you may waive an active player to claim a player not on anyone's roster as long as that player is active on an MLB 25-man roster when you claim him. One such claim per week.

Disabled List: you may reserve an active player on the DL by activating a player off of your reserve list.

Because we will draft before 25-man rosters are set you are on your own as far as who is actually going to make the opening day rosters. However, since we'll use both AL and NL players you shouldn't be drafting players who'll start the year in the minors. Hint-hint. Unless his name is BJ Upton.

Nothing has to be set in stone until the draft actually begins. Windy and I are PMing back and forth to iron out details.

Sorry for those of you who want more info--this week and last are nightmarish with my job but things will get better. And, spring training games have begun, so life is good.

WindyCityHog

Okla....The life of a teacher....gotta be tough this time of year.  Don't you get a Spring Break too?

I PM'd you....I'm looking.....but check your e-mail later.....I'll send you some info that way....

jayhog

I will be out of town both of those weekends.  If you could do it around 8 pm on a Sunday night, that would be perfect for me.  Thanks.  Looking forward to the league.

Oklahawg

March 05, 2005, 07:37:46 pm #8 Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 10:32:06 am by Oklahawg
We want every interested member able to draft a team, if at all possible. 8pm CDT on March 13th in the Hogville chat room seems better than a Friday or Saturday. Thoughts?

8PM CDT ON MARCH 20TH (NOT THE 13TH) IS THE OFFICIAL TIME.

WindyCityHog

Sounds like a good date and time to me....I'm available at that time..

Brett Hitman Hog

Oklahawg

13 teams x 23 players a team = 299 active players plus 65 reserve players (so you know how many names to have on your lists). Be sure you account for all the positions! There won't be 26 catchers who rank in the top 300, but the league needs to draft 2 per team.

WindyCityHog

Check later today.....It's either Fanball or MLB.com......and Sunday night will be the live draft...rotisserie....I'm going to get my ass kicked....I'm paying....so you guys get ready....Let's hear a roll call....and if anyone else is interested, I have a head-to-head league started on Yahoo....PM me if you're interested....already have 14 managers....but I'll go up....

Check back later today.....The roti league will be a killer....