Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meyer leaves town

Started by M-16, January 22, 2006, 08:59:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

M-16

And I'M thinking it's not going to be good news for Damon Williams fans. This kid is smart enough to know that it's a big deal for a head coach from a top program to walk into your living room. He has to like that kind of attention.

And let us all remember what the kids father said right after Springdale won the state title. A microphone was stuck in his face and he didn't stutter, he said "As long as Houston Nutt is head coach, my son will not play there". Now that's pretty clear. I don't know what kind of relationship the young Williams has with his father, but I'm guessing it's a solid relationship.

Houston was out of the picture during a very important time for a important kid in his back yard. Maybe he thought it would be best if he put it into other coaches hands. You never know how a kid views things with his HS coach pulling him one way, and a top university head man tugs you another?

All I can do is comment on this situation and I will stick with my guns. At UF he will be just another face from out of town. At U of A he could do some amazing things with his HS team mates. But you have to let a teenager make his own decision at this point in his young life.

HotRodHog

January 22, 2006, 09:05:57 pm #1 Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 11:08:11 pm by HotRodHog
It is important to understand all of the variables that go into the equation of making a player an NFL prospect. You must understand the intrinsic meat and potatoes of familiarity, stats, the go-to-man, etc, etc, that makes a player visible in the statistical i.e. pro-level. DW would best serve his interests by jumping on the hog train.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

"When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something" Dick Butkus

UofA Alumnus

ZAP743

Well, if Meyer is gone, i figure then we will know a lot more about DW's situation in the next couple of days. I figure his mind will be made up after this weekend. It would be a tough decision. I hope that he realizes what he can do at UA. Hopefully Mitch, Malzahn, Ben, and Norman will be able to do enough to talk him into staying @ home!!

C'MON Damian, WOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!!

Hugehogsfan

Quote from: M-16 on January 22, 2006, 08:59:56 pm
And I'M thinking it's not going to be good news for Damon Williams fans. This kid is smart enough to know that it's a big deal for a head coach from a top program to walk into your living room. He has to like that kind of attention.

And let us all remember what the kids father said right after Springdale won the state title. A microphone was stuck in his face and he didn't stutter, he said "As long as Houston Nutt is head coach, my son will not play there". Now that's pretty clear. I don't know what kind of relationship the young Williams has with his father, but I'm guessing it's a solid relationship.

Houston was out of the picture during a very important time for a important kid in his back yard. Maybe he thought it would be best if he put it into other coaches hands. You never know how a kid views things with his HS coach pulling him one way, and a top university head man tugs you another?

All I can do is comment on this situation and I will stick with my guns. At UF he will be just another face from out of town. At U of A he could do some amazing things with his HS team mates. But you have to let a teenager make his own decision at this point in his young life.
First of all his name is Damian.  And you don't stick with your guns but you stick to your guns.  Anyway we will find out before too long what he is going to do.

BloodRedHog

I know this...my dad would never have made a comment like that...not because of Nutt, but because he would leave the decision in my hands.
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: HotRodHog on January 22, 2006, 09:05:57 pm
Dad clearly doesn't understand all of the variables that go into the equation of making his son a NFL prospect. He is all about profile, and doesn't understand the intrinsic meat and potatoes of familiarity, stats, the go-to-man, etc, etc, that makes a player visible in the statistical i.e. pro-level. He is living V through his son, and in the end. if DW is never in the NFL, he can think his Paw - a Johny come lately d.a. His mom, with her internal stability has the right answer. "I would like D.W. to be a Razorback." She needs to take control, and slap her hubby into reality.

If I wanted to go to the NFL, I'd pick FLorida over Arkansas in a second. I wouldn't even think twice. If he goes to FLorida to better his chances of going to the NFL, then he's making the right decision.

Sonofahog

Call me stupid,  but since Alex Mortensen decided to stay,  that means his dad will still be at the games.  If Arkansas does well,  a lot of players will get more attention.  I think if DW is the real deal,  he will get attention no matter where he is,  but the Mort thing can't hurt. 

Okay, here comes the "you are stupid" posts.
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

ZAP743

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 22, 2006, 09:09:09 pm
Dad clearly doesn't understand all of the variables that go into the equation of making his son a NFL prospect. He is all about profile, and doesn't understand the intrinsic meat and potatoes of familiarity, stats, the go-to-man, etc, etc, that makes a player visible in the statistical i.e. pro-level. He is living V through his son, and in the end. if DW is never in the NFL, he can think his Paw - a Johny come lately d.a. His mom, with her internal stability has the right answer. "I would like D.W. to be a Razorback." She needs to take control, and slap her hubby into reality.

If I wanted to go to the NFL, I'd pick FLorida over Arkansas in a second. I wouldn't even think twice. If he goes to FLorida to better his chances of going to the NFL, then he's making the right decision.

Actually, if you think about it, just because Florida is a higher profile program doesn't mean he has a better shot. If he goes to Florida, he's just going to be another guy. He probably will be the 3rd or 4th guy there. If he comes to UA then he will be the man along with Marcus Monk. No question. I mean Matt Jones was a QB at UA and he was still taken in the 1st round as a WR. His chances would be just fine here, and he could do some really special things in this state with this team that we are and will continue to build!!

pioneerhog

How do you get that? Florida has something like 7 other WR commits and that is not including the ones that are on campus now. To get to the NFL you have GOT to have playing time and his chance of that at Florida are a lot less than they would be here. THe NFL will find the talent no matter where the player is.

whatsshakinbacon

I never heard a report of Damian's dad saying that he would not play for Houston Nutt.  I have heard unsubstantiated rumors that he has said this to others, but it has not appeared in media as far as I've seen.

That said, before I go say anything negative about Mr. Williams, it would be good to find out exactly what he has and has not said.

Bacon out...

ballhog™

who was that comment about Nutt made to?  tv, newspaper?  I don't remember hearing that.  Link?
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

ZAP743

Quote from: stillahog on January 22, 2006, 09:11:54 pm
Call me stupid, but since Alex Mortensen decided to stay, that means his dad will still be at the games. If Arkansas does well, a lot of players will get more attention. I think if DW is the real deal, he will get attention no matter where he is, but the Mort thing can't hurt.

Ya know, I agree with that actually, because if you remember Mort hyped Matt Jones in articles on ESPN regularly leading up to the draft last year. If you are good enough you will get a shot at the NFL, and it couldn't hurt having a major NFL writer hyping you every time ya turn around!

whatsshakinbacon

Call me stupid, but since Alex Mortensen decided to stay, that means his dad will still be at the games. If Arkansas does well, a lot of players will get more attention. I think if DW is the real deal, he will get attention no matter where he is, but the Mort thing can't hurt.

Actually, that's a pretty solid point that I hadn't considered. 

Bacon out...

Sonofahog

Thanks ZAP and Bacon,   I think a lot of people have forgotten how much Mort hyped the Hogs.

M-16

I dis agree with you man, Florida would be a place for him to sit. Florida uses kids like "Damion" I believe his name is, for future recruiting. To show others that they can go out of state if they want. The real key for that program is to play in in-state kids so future instate players with come to U of F. To get the NFL to give a look, you have to be on the field. At Arkansas he would get a hell of a lot more minutes.

BloodRedHog

Going to FL does not help his chances of playing on Sunday better than going to UA. Playing time - a chance to show his talent - is what he needs. He will get more of that at UA than FL. The visibility of the program means nothing...where did Jerry Rice go to school?
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: ZAP743 on January 22, 2006, 09:12:09 pm

Actually, if you think about it, just because Florida is a higher profile program doesn't mean he has a better shot. If he goes to Florida, he's just going to be another guy. He probably will be the 3rd or 4th guy there. If he comes to UA then he will be the man along with Marcus Monk. No question. I mean Matt Jones was a QB at UA and he was still taken in the 1st round as a WR. His chances would be just fine here, and he could do some really special things in this state with this team that we are and will continue to build!!

No question that that could happen. I'm just saying, if I had the skills Williams has, I'd feel my NFL chances are better off at a school like Florida. More national exposure (even on a down year), more tradition, better coach, a pass-happy offense.

jhog

FL = NFL ??????????

Come on...Jerry Rice played at Miss. Valley St. -
Walter Payton - Jackson St.
Terrell Owens - Chattanooga
Kurt Warner - Northern Iowa
Bret Farve - Southern Miss.
Doug Williams - Grambling

If you have NFL talent they will find you. 

razorhead69

M-16

Pass happy offense? you better look again, Meyers is struggling just a bit. It's gonna take awhile for him to get His Kind of Players there. Man, you want to be successful, just thing, you have a change to play in a system you already know, and a QB you have good chemistry with. You tell me what would be better for DW?

PigKahuna

Why is it any bigger deal for Meyer to go to his living room than HDN?  Really?  Don't all big-time coaches come in and close in person on a top recruit?

Stop the drama.

Sonofahog

M-16

ZAP743

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 22, 2006, 09:16:47 pm
Quote from: ZAP743 on January 22, 2006, 09:12:09 pm

No question that that could happen. I'm just saying, if I had the skills Williams has, I'd feel my NFL chances are better off at a school like Florida. More national exposure (even on a down year), more tradition, better coach, a pass-happy offense.

Yeah, I agree that Florida usually has more national exposure, but think about the potential exposure we could have with the #1 QB in the nation coming in, and with the building blocks we already have in place. I just think that this team has a lot of potential to do some really great things, and it would definately give him the exposure!! Just another way to look at it!

dmhog v2.0

All I said was it gives him a better chance. Look how many receivers are in the NFL from Florida compared to Arkansas. I understand the NFL finds talent regardless of where they are. I just offered my opinion that I think going to Florida over Arkansas gives him a better chance at it. I don't want him to. I want him here. But, the opportunity to play for NUtt would send me somewhere else, too.

bolo1010

January 22, 2006, 09:26:35 pm #25 Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 09:30:44 pm by bolo1010
It doesnt matter what team he plays for...talent is talent and if he  plays for FL or if he plays for the citadel (sp) he will get noticed and the scouts will find him

BILLYBOB

Good point
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

HawgnDos

Quote from: M-16 on January 22, 2006, 08:59:56 pm
And I'M thinking it's not going to be good news for Damon Williams fans.
Who in the carp is Damon Williams?  You don't just by chance mean the outstanding wide receiver from Springdale named Damian Williams do you?

ZAP743

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 22, 2006, 09:24:41 pm
All I said was it gives him a better chance. Look how many receivers are in the NFL from Florida compared to Arkansas. I understand the NFL finds talent regardless of where they are. I just offered my opinion that I think going to Florida over Arkansas gives him a better chance at it. I don't want him to. I want him here. But, the opportunity to play for NUtt would send me somewhere else, too.

The main reason that FL has more WR's in the NFL now than AR is because in recent years, Arkansas has been down and just hasn't  had the talent that FL has. Now AR is on an upswing and will begin getting the talent to come. It's not just because they are from FL.

I agree with the statement that if you have the talent, the NFL will take you.

Again, Matt Jones was drafted in the 1st round as a WR after playing QB!! If you have the talent you'll go!!

mikeirwin

Quote from: ballhog on January 22, 2006, 09:13:44 pm
who was that comment about Nutt made to? tv, newspaper? I don't remember hearing that. Link?
That would be sort of important wouldn't it ?
No radio or TV station that I know of got such a comment from Damian's dad. Sounds like a figment of someone's imagination.

Golfer

Quote from: BloodRedHog on January 22, 2006, 09:07:56 pm
I know this...my dad would never have made a comment like that...not because of Nutt, but because he would leave the decision in my hands.

Has anyone actually heard his dad make that statement, or is that coming from Nutt Haters?

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: ZAP743 on January 22, 2006, 09:28:56 pm

The main reason that FL has more WR's in the NFL now than AR is because in recent years, Arkansas has been down and just hasn't  had the talent that FL has. Now AR is on an upswing and will begin getting the talent to come. It's not just because they are from FL.

Again, Matt Jones was drafted in the 1st round as a WR after playing QB!! If you have the talent you'll go!!

I wouldn't say we are on an upswing until we start winning games.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: mikeirwin on January 22, 2006, 09:29:59 pm
Quote from: ballhog on January 22, 2006, 09:13:44 pm
who was that comment about Nutt made to? tv, newspaper? I don't remember hearing that. Link?
That would be sort of important wouldn't it ?
No radio or TV station that I know of got such a comment from Damian's dad. Sounds like a figment of someone's imagination.

Alright Mike I - whatchya hearing about tonight/this weekend/recruits?

Bacon out...

HonkIfUrHoggin

So shotput mortensen is staying at arkansas

ZAP743

One more thing...

You know this comparison would even be more viable if it was between Florida and a Sun Belt School or MAC school or something like that. However, he will still be in the SEC, playing SEC talent, just as he would if he was playing at Florida!!

If he was playing at Ark State, and playing Sun Belt, yeah you'd drop even with great numbers because, he wasn't playing top competition. However, he's still gonna be playing the LSU's, Georgias, Tenn's, Bama's, Auburn's, and Florida's of the world. Not to mention USC this year!

Sonofahog

We stunk last year,  and how many TV games did we have??  I bet that number increases in the next few years, and all of our players will be getting a bunch of exposure.  Good times ahead for us all.

clemensrules01

Quote from: ZAP743 on January 22, 2006, 09:32:38 pm
One more thing...

You know this comparison would even be more viable if it was between Florida and a Sun Belt School or MAC school or something like that. However, he will still be in the SEC, playing SEC talent, just as he would if he was playing at Florida!!

If he was playing at Ark State, and playing Sun Belt, yeah you'd drop even with great numbers because, he wasn't playing top competition. However, he's still gonna be playing the LSU's, Georgias, Tenn's, Bama's, Auburn's, and Florida's of the world. Not to mention USC this year!
wait, arkansas and florida are in the same conference? WTH? link, please.

jhog

I guarantee you DMAC plays on Sundays as will, Mitch, Monk & Hillis..... Take into account that we have not been a passing team in the past, but with Dick and MM we will be so if you're a WR get on board.

ZAP743

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 22, 2006, 09:30:38 pm
Quote from: ZAP743 on January 22, 2006, 09:28:56 pm

The main reason that FL has more WR's in the NFL now than AR is because in recent years, Arkansas has been down and just hasn't had the talent that FL has. Now AR is on an upswing and will begin getting the talent to come. It's not just because they are from FL.

I wouldn't say we are on an upswing until we start winning games.

Well what i meant by upswing, is the type of players that are being attracted to UA compared to in the past!! Sorry, should've made that a little more clear! I agree, we have to start winning games to really get things going, but i was referring to recruiting!

jkcrunch

Pass Happy hmmm at Utah Meyers last team average 27 pass att per game with a first round draft pick at QB.    2 players caught most of the passes in spread set.  I looked it up because I had a bet with a co worker.    Perception is his offense was pass first run second, it was closer to 65% run.   To that point 30 pass plays per game once he gets his team in line with 4 wr per play and a rb.

Kevin

leak doesn't want to run though.  so i think they pass more at uf
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

mutdog

DMhog:  Darren McCfadden plays for lowly Arkansas and he was freshman of the year. Exposure was not a problem for him.  I think you over rate the Florida thing.

HonkIfUrHoggin

I was living out in Ga when we palyed Ga and all those people say is where did yall find Dmac

SPAL

Quote from: M-16 on January 22, 2006, 09:16:37 pm
I dis agree with you man, Florida would be a place for him to sit. Florida uses kids like "Damion" I believe his name is, for future recruiting. To show others that they can go out of state if they want. The real key for that program is to play in in-state kids so future instate players with come to U of F. To get the NFL to give a look, you have to be on the field. At Arkansas he would get a hell of a lot more minutes.

Man you still did not get his name right, it is DAMIAN.....quit spewin crap about the father of a recruit sayin stuff nobody but you heard him say.

Snort and Squeal

As we have all said in the past... Wins will bring the National Exposure.  Hopefully we will see a lot of Razorback Ball on national TV.
Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!

jkcrunch

Meyer is a good coach he adapted to Leak but Leak struggled early.  Tebow ran a similiar spread offense and is the top dual threat QB on Rivals,  what does that tell you about Meyers future plans.  Success for him in the pass came with the dual threat guys looks like he is going to return to it 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 22, 2006, 09:16:47 pm.........if I had the skills Williams has, I'd feel my NFL chances are better off at a school like Florida. More national exposure (even on a down year), more tradition, better coach, a pass-happy offense.

"Pass happy"?

UF still runs more then they throw.  455 rushing attempts vs. 385 pass attempts.

I would use the term "balanced" to describe UF.  "Pass happy" is not the correct term for their offense.

I expect that with Gus calling the shots, we will have at least as many pass attempts as Florida the next four years.  In fact, I would expect that once Mitch steps into the starting role, we may very well pass MORE then UF over that period.

pfrg999

It all depends on the USC game.... If they spank us... not much TV... if we Beat... although depleated... it will give us the exposure that we need....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: PorkPariah on January 22, 2006, 09:49:18 pm
Quote from: dmhog v2.0 on January 22, 2006, 09:16:47 pm.........if I had the skills Williams has, I'd feel my NFL chances are better off at a school like Florida. More national exposure (even on a down year), more tradition, better coach, a pass-happy offense.

"Pass happy"?

UF still runs more then they throw.  455 rushing attempts vs. 385 pass attempts.

I would use the term "balanced" to describe UF.  "Pass happy" is not the correct term for their offense.

I expect that with Gus calling the shots, we will have at least as many pass attempts as Florida the next four years.  In fact, I would expect that once Mitch steps into the starting role, we may very well pass MORE then UF over that period.

Traditionally they pass more than they throw. Especially if you compare them to us, they're pass-happy.