Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Your Best Wms Memories?

Started by Hogmiser, September 06, 2012, 02:52:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Coach Obvious

The time I got hit in the head with a loose piece of concrete.

I'm still feeling the effects of that one.

OTTER

November 1958.  It was the first Razorback game I went to and it was against Texas Tech.  I was 8.  I was impressed with the Red Raider riding the horse down the side line but when the Hogs came out and the crowd began calling the Hogs, I was amazed!  Back then, everyone wore their Sunday shirt, tie and slacks to the game.  We won 27-8.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

bphi11ips

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on September 06, 2012, 03:57:17 pm
12/6/75 Hogs 31-TAM 6
The entire opening day backfield, all of whom would play in the NFL, had been lost to injury. But the Hogs (quoting the local paper) "inspired by a fanatical defensive effort, and urged on by a delirious War Memorial Stadium crowd" vanquished the unbeaten #2-ranked Aggies on the last day of the season, earning a spot in the Cotton Bowl (beat Georgia). That season might have been the best coaching job ever by an Arkansas staff.

Opening day 1974 Hogs 22-Southern Cal 7
Original Miracle on Markham
The 1979 Texas game 17-14
Houston Cougars/ Quinn Grovey shootout that we won 45-39

Good list.  Plus Hogs 31 Horns 7.  Joe Ferguson could do no wrong in a driving rain. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

(notOM)Rebel123

I still remember driving through LR after upsetting Texas A&M in 1975...some LR radio station was playing "(You've Blown it All) Sky High" by Jigsaw, referring to Aggies. Maybe not as cool as "Pour Some Sugar on Me" after the LSU win, but cool to a 12 year old in 1975.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Tim

Whenever it quits hosting the Razorbacks. We want to be a national power yet play in a Sun Belt stadium.

MTBrookHog

September 06, 2012, 05:20:22 pm #55 Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:34:14 pm by MTBrookHog
1a: Miracle on Markham I. My son and I took my Dad to that game. It was the last game he saw in person. He is the reason I am a Hog fan.

1b: aTm I think in 1977. Watching Steve Little and Tony Franklin bombing kicks from the 50 yd. line in pregame. Then watching Dan Hampton and Jimmie Walker chase Greg Kubiak around the backfield.

RazorBiker

Lived in NLR in the 70's and worked for what was then Twin City Bank. Both the '74 USC game and the '75 A&M game are vivid memories. I'm 65 now and remember Denis "Dirt" Winston must have made 50 tackles against USC. ABC was in town for the A&M game when there was one game of the week. Our little receivers caught everything that cold afternoon.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Root66 on September 06, 2012, 03:17:38 pm
September 14, 1974    Hogs 22  USC  7 avenging a 31-10 loss two years earlier on Sept. 9, 1972.

That first game had a sign up on the upper NE wall of the stadium that read...

We eat sawdust
We schit logs
We ain't nothing
But mean ass Hogs

The sign came down during the 3rd quarter.

I'm with Root.

The announcers Saturday were talking about a quiet stadium. They hadn't been at WMS after Anthony Davis returned a kickoff for a TD. We didn't know it would be their only score.

SemperFi

1. Miracle on Markham: was standing in the end zone feet away from where DeCori Birmingham made the catch.

2. Arkansas vs UT Chattanooga: Took my youngest son to see his first Razorback game. It was an ugly game typical of HDN, but he had so much fun that it trumped what was happening on the ield.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

GTOWNHOG

1974 Southern Cal game.   We won 22-7.......They went on to win the National Championship with a 10-1-1- record....
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

NEA_HogFan

Miracle on Markham

I was 12 years old and it was my first hog game ever. I was sitting in the endzone directly behind Birmingham when he caught the game winning pass.

threeNout

September 06, 2012, 06:49:19 pm #61 Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:51:17 pm by threeNout
1979,  Lou Holtz and the Hogs beat Texas.

Missed FG at the end to tie by Texas, place goes nuts. I think the noise coming out of the end zone just impeded the ball, fell 20 yards short, man it was loud.

I was an impressionable 14 y/o, I'll always remember it.

HogFan80

Been to many games at WMS over the years, but probably the best memory is from the 2010 LSU game. It was the first time I got to go to the LSU game and sit in the stands. It was also the first game my then girlfriend, now wife, had ever been to at WMS and only her 2nd Hog game ever. It was a great game and, like others have said, it was fun cheering after we had won and singing "Pour Some Sugar On Me".

On a side note, a full bladder, wanting to beat the restroom rush and believing we would take a knee to end the first half of that game, I missed the Cobi Hamilton 80 yard TD pass to end the first half. I've been to every home Hog game since then and have not and will never again leave my seat early before the half.

phadedhawg

Casey Dick's TD pass vs LSU 2008.

For all the negativity he endured, a lot of it coming from here, it was great to see him go out like that.

tannerstahl

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on September 06, 2012, 04:38:40 pm
Billy Graham Crusade 1990

Awesome! I was 5 and I actually remember that! My favorite WMS moment was beating Malzahn twice in a row to winin the state 7on7 tournament back in 2002...as far as the hogs go, it would easily be Mallett to hamilton right before halftime! I remember being in the stands at the 20 toward the end zone we scored in and thinking, let's take a knee and go into halftime tied and count that a win...then boom, the bomb was dropped and I almost messed my britches lol ..it was awesome and an experience I'll never forget!
i love the hogs....so very very much

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: oldhawg on September 06, 2012, 04:08:16 pm
Texas 14  Arkansas 17.   Lawrence Sampleton, Texas tight end, missing the pass across the middle in the fourth quarter that would have given the Longhorns the win.  1977 or 1978 I think.
I saw a lot of great games there but 79 Texas was the top. Their kicker missed a 50 harder to tie the game. The Hogs had 8 straight losses to the whorns.
My first game was against USC in 74. It too was great as was the 81 Baylor game and 89 Houston game.

oreo

calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling and calling the hogs so much after the clock ran out that the hogs came back onto the field after beating Texas the last year in the old SWC. That was fun!!!!

orvillesghost

1. Arkansas 17, Texas 14 Oct. 20, 1979, i was a sophomore at U of A and growing up in the 70's when every year we would lose to those arrogant SOB's, to finally break through was just unreal. I will never forget the final seconds of that game, several people cried tears of joy that day.

2. Arkansas, 31, Texas A &M 6, Dec. 6, 1975, the immortal Teddy Barnes catch which occured almost directly in front of my seat. There used to be a painting of the catch in the Broyles Center..guess it's still there somewhere

and non football related

July 31, 1976, Ozark Mt. Daredevils, Jimmy Buffett, Cate Brothers, Wet Willie, Jerry Jeff Walker and Nitty Gritty Dirty Band in a festival there, great music all day and night..and I will never forget the girl in the red halter who sat next to me..

oh to be young again!

panhandlepig

My best memory?  My Dad sitting beside me.

Tim

Quote from: panhandlepig on September 06, 2012, 08:09:47 pm
  My best memory?  My Dad sitting beside me.
My best memory? Scalping my tickets and not having to piss in a trough. WMS is a barn.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: orvillesghost on September 06, 2012, 08:07:58 pm
July 31, 1976, Ozark Mt. Daredevils, Jimmy Buffett, Cate Brothers, Wet Willie, Jerry Jeff Walker and Nitty Gritty Dirty Band in a festival there, great music all day and night..and I will never forget the girl in the red halter who sat next to me..

oh to be young again!

I was there.  Remember how sweltering hot it was and firehoses being turned on people just to keep them cool.  Had a disagreement with someone on Hogville about 6 months ago about that festival (thought it was the Wild Hog Boogie; may have been a different one).  He said Buffett had never played WMS and I told him I knew he had because I was there.  Glad to have some backup on that!

Best WMS game for me was 1971 Texas game.  Joe Ferguson's finest hour as a Hog.  They came in ranked #2 and we spanked that a$$!!!!  In the rain, no less.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

orvillesghost

yep you were right...and i remember the hoses too

psooie

I know the worst, texas 87. The best, too many really.

El Guapo

Back in high school, inside the hallowed walls of war memorial, I got laid.........

....... Out against Pine Bluff in a "Jamboree" (Those boys were bad news back in the early 90's)
"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

pigroots

1. Arkansas 31-6 over a&m in 75. In forty years of game I've never heard a stadium louder than when Teddy Barnes caught the td pass just before half. The stadium literally sounded like a bomb went off and the bench erupted. A&m never recovered and their shot at a national title ended that day in LR

2.Arkansas vs USC in 74. One of the first games I ever saw and made me dream of one day wearing that hog uniform.

3.Arkansas 17-14 over Texas in 79. Something about beating Texas gives me chill bumps all over. When Texas missed the field goal attempt to try and tie the game with a couple seconds to go the crowd went insane staying long after sing Hey Hey Ho HO Arkansas to the Cotton Bowl.  GOOD TIMES

hoggusamoungus

Lots of great ones, including '74 USC, '79 Texas, '81 Baylor, '89 Houston, '91 Texas and the first Miracle.  Best had to be the '79 Texas game.  Drove down from UCA with my roommate and another bud.  I had a ticket w/the parents but the other two had bought UA student tickets for $20/each.  Without a UA ID, they couldn't get in.  Roommate started cussing, bud started crying. Neither had any money so I walked out toward Markham and bought two tickets from a guy for the $8 face value.  They sat on the 35 on the east side and all these years later, I still remember the smile on our bud's face.

Science Fiction Greg

I enjoyed the 98 game vs. Kentucky with Tim Couch a lot.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Root66

Quote from: OTTER on September 06, 2012, 04:57:00 pm
November 1958.  It was the first Razorback game I went to and it was against Texas Tech.  I was 8.  I was impressed with the Red Raider riding the horse down the side line but when the Hogs came out and the crowd began calling the Hogs, I was amazed!  Back then, everyone wore their Sunday shirt, tie and slacks to the game.  We won 27-8.

I used to dress like that. white shirt, tie, blazer. Mr. Cool Razorback fan. And I always ran into Mr. Cool Texas fans, dressed exactly like me.

Root66

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on September 06, 2012, 05:37:15 pm
I'm with Root.

The announcers Saturday were talking about a quiet stadium. They hadn't been at WMS after Anthony Davis returned a kickoff for a TD. We didn't know it would be their only score.

My wife yells out at the top of her lungs..."Get that Son of a bitch"...from the south endzone. It was the ONLY NOISE in the stadium, until a guy about 10 rows down yells..."you tell em lady".

East Clintwood

The '71 Texas game followed by the '74 USC game.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Root66

Quote from: Tim on September 06, 2012, 08:15:24 pm
My best memory? Scalping my tickets and not having to piss in a trough. WMS is a barn.

Is that what that was? I thought that was where we washed our hands...heck....

LJHOG

hawkhawg

razorhead94

I'm pretty young but the moment I won't forget was the block at the rock.  Carlos Hall blocked a game winning field goal attempt by south Carolina.  They were undefeated at the time and the place was rocking that day.  I also think that's when Matt jones first got a big part of the plays at QB.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

RNHog

I experienced my first razorback game there as a kid with my folks. We played south carolina. nI remember it being FREEZING in the stands and we were sitting about 10 rows up in the endzone behind the field goal posts. I tried and tried to get a PAT ball! Been attending WMS games every since. My parents still go to all WMS games and we do as well but we sit in different areas.

Best Memory was beating LSU there. My favorite being the win that sealed the sugar bowl appreance. The place was electric!

TOM "tbw1"

The IMMORTAL Teddy Barnes.

Root, do you still have your red blazer for the games?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

LZH

September 06, 2012, 10:33:49 pm #87 Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 10:36:02 pm by LedZepHog
The 1983 SMU monsoon game wasn't a good memory, but all of us kids had a blast that nite.  My middle brother hid under a piece of plastic with his wife and in-laws in, appropriatley enough, Section 8.  The stadium was literally empty by the 4th qtr.  We were already back at the Excelsior by then and saw the ABC announcers making fun of them on TV.  Holtz' last game in LR.

Grovey vs Ware in 1989
Baylor in 1981
LSU in 2002 and 2010
Texas in 1979

And who could forget the Rice game in 1980...lost 17-16.  The next day, Holtz started his show..........."Welcome to the Lou Holtz show.  Unfortunately, I'm Lou Holtz".

Oh, and does anyone remember the Auburn game in 1995?  We curb-stomped them in the first half, up 30-0 or maybe 30-7.  We eeked out a 30-28 win.

hogsrock

December 6th, 1975.  Arkansas 31 Texas A&M 6.  I nearly froze to death.
"It's easy to fix mistakes if the exposed flaws are unusual.  But when these flaws are fundamental weaknesses that haven't been corrected for years the idea that a problem may be too serious to correct is sobering."  Bacon

AppleHog

September 06, 2012, 11:20:25 pm #89 Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:22:00 pm by AppleHog
2010 LSU game has to be the best. It was the first time that i've been to a game and everyone stayed well past the end. Cameras flashing and everything.

08 LSU was pretty awesome as well.

The game against top ten South Carolina in the early 00 was good. Maybe that was a Thursday night game? Or maybe Im confusing it with a Ms. St game.

The early HDN era tail kickings of LSU were great.

98 Kentucky. I think that WR is still on the ground.

98 SMU. First game at WMS that I can remember vivid details of.

91 Texas. I cant remember anything about the game itself, but I remember being there and knowing it was a big deal. I was 8.
Thanks coach.

We had a great time.

Cotton

The original Miracle on Markham. "Jones looking... Jones now... Throwing to the endzooooonnnneeee and it issssssssssssssssssss COMPLETE! TOUCHDOWN! OH MY!!" -Paul Eels

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

RyanLR

I learned how to ride a bike in WMS parking lot. I witnessed both Miracles on Markham. That stadium means a lot to me. The atmosphere is like none other in college football.

New Pig In Town

Winning a state championship.  Also the 2010 LSU game.  Having a full stadium of people cheering 15 minutes after the game was awesome.

razorback45

42-11 Thumping of TEXAS and the goal post being hauled down Dixon street.
!!!!!!!!!!Love Those Hogs !!!!!!!!!!

HuntinHog

Def Leppard after the LSU beatdown.

Hawg Balling

2010 LSU.  Miracle on Markham II was pretty sweet too. 

DrSwineESQ

Quote from: idochog on September 06, 2012, 03:32:01 pm
Both Miracle on Markhams
The 1979 Texas game we won 17-14
The Houston Cougars/ Quinn Grovey shootout that we won 45-39

I didn't go to the 1979 game, but I was at the three others...  They're my favorites as well.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: razorback45 on September 07, 2012, 11:07:43 am
42-11 Thumping of TEXAS and the goal post being hauled down Dixon street.

...........all the way to Markham?

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: hogsrock on September 06, 2012, 10:55:15 pm
December 6th, 1975.  Arkansas 31 Texas A&M 6.  I nearly froze to death.

You are proably thinking about '76. When Houston entered the conference, causing the whole schedule to re-shuffle, we had A&M at WMS two years in a row. Pretty sure it snowed or sleeted in '76.  Hog lost.

In 1975, the Hogs played Tulane at Barton in BBall about noon, and A&M in the evening at WMS. The weather was nice.

Root66

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on September 06, 2012, 10:27:25 pm
The IMMORTAL Teddy Barnes.

Root, do you still have your red blazer for the games?

No, had to get rid of it about 35 or 40 years ago when it was already 2 or 3 sizes too small. Now, I wouldn't be able to get an arm in it... ;D