Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Experience at DWR

Started by Porked Tongue, September 05, 2016, 06:55:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on September 09, 2016, 05:27:38 am
Why do people go to ANY event then? It is because they like it enough and can and are willing to go to show support for their alma mater, school, the band, cheerleaders, meet friends, reminisce, have fun with family, have a child that attends school there, have a player that plays there, etc, etc. to the point they are willing like me to overlook things they don't like about it. Why go to a political rally, movie, dinner out, vacation, charitable event or any other outing of any type knowing there is some inconvenience or monetary commitment to do so? One doesn't have to go to be considered a real fan just like one doesn't have to go to a political convention to be considered a member of a political party but don't begrudge those that DO go and thus can talk about the things they don't like about it yet still go. It is a privilege to be able to go and 100% of those that do go know that. 

People go to events for a variety of reasons. The go to have fun, they go because they feel obligated ( if a family member or friend is involved in something that the person going may not really enjoy ), to be seen, for something new, and a variety of other reasons. But I can guarantee, no one goes to a college sporting event because it will give the school money.

Privilege - a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people. I don't really count going to a football game as a privilege ( unless someone is given the tickets ), if you paid for them you earned your trip, no one granted it to you.  I'll slap you on the back for making enough money to buy tickets, but I am not going to congratulate you for actually buying them. As I said earlier, people can do what they want with their money, they earned it, I just find it funny how many people spend what they do on tickets, and then just talk about all the things at the game that bother them. Not one thing in this thread would make anyone want to go to a game. All they read is how long the lines are, bad the food is, crowded the seats are, parking issues, long walks in the heat, the band sucks, the pa is annoying, no wifi, poor phone service, can't see other games on the tv's in the concession areas, poor updates of other scores, student section is terrible, and a few others I probably missed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on September 09, 2016, 08:38:41 am
People go to events for a variety of reasons. The go to have fun, they go because they feel obligated ( if a family member or friend is involved in something that the person going may not really enjoy ), to be seen, for something new, and a variety of other reasons. But I can guarantee, no one goes to a college sporting event because it will give the school money.

Privilege - a special right, advantage, or immunity granted or available only to a particular person or group of people. I don't really count going to a football game as a privilege ( unless someone is given the tickets ), if you paid for them you earned your trip, no one granted it to you.  I'll slap you on the back for making enough money to buy tickets, but I am not going to congratulate you for actually buying them. As I said earlier, people can do what they want with their money, they earned it, I just find it funny how many people spend what they do on tickets, and then just talk about all the things at the game that bother them. Not one thing in this thread would make anyone want to go to a game. All they read is how long the lines are, bad the food is, crowded the seats are, parking issues, long walks in the heat, the band sucks, the pa is annoying, no wifi, poor phone service, can't see other games on the tv's in the concession areas, poor updates of other scores, student section is terrible, and a few others I probably missed.

No, you can't guarantee anything out of your control, so your claim is ridiculous on people giving money, and their reasons for it.

People complain about everything, that's our nature. I hated the lines, wait, and cost at Disney World, it didn't stop me from going a minimum of once a year when the kids were younger. Why? Because, in spite of the drawbacks, it was a great time for the family. The good outweighed the bad immensely, so I didn't let a few problems stop me. We had a 7% increase in season ticket sales this year, looks like few are buying into your argument.

Fans go to the games because there isn't any way to replicate the atmosphere at home when a Joe Adams takes a pitch and goes 90 yards, or D-Mac breaks off an 80 yard TD, there's something about being there live that can't be felt at home.

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on September 09, 2016, 10:07:58 am

Fans go to the games because there isn't any way to replicate the atmosphere at home when a Joe Adams takes a pitch and goes 90 yards, or D-Mac breaks off an 80 yard TD, there's something about being there live that can't be felt at home.

I don't disagree with that at all. You can not recreate the atmosphere of a live event. My points are:

1. No one goes to the game with the main goal being that the school gets money.

2. Going to the games does not make someone a superfan. I have used her as an example many times, but my grandma, who passed away in Feb, attended one game in her life, but she was as big of a fan as anyone.

3. These complaint are the same as they are every year, what is the point of continually bringing them here? You want change, take it to the school administration, you know, the people who MIGHT be able to do something about some of them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: hogsanity on September 09, 2016, 10:30:27 am
I don't disagree with that at all. You can not recreate the atmosphere of a live event. My points are:

2. Going to the games does not make someone a superfan. I have used her as an example many times, but my grandma, who passed away in Feb, attended one game in her life, but she was as big of a fan as anyone.

3. These complaint are the same as they are every year, what is the point of continually bringing them here? You want change, take it to the school administration, you know, the people who MIGHT be able to do something about some of them.

You mean Hogville isn't Jeff Long's de facto conduit for fan feedback?
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ricepig

1) Again, you can't speak for everyone, I think we've established that fact.

2) No one said anything about super fans, it must be some hang up of yours.

3) Again, people complain about everything, and if one doesn't direct it to the proper people, that's their fault. I've seen numerous tweets to Long and his staff bring attention to them various complaints.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on September 08, 2016, 10:59:45 am
do you give props to people who go on vacations? That takes planning and money and is a lot harder than sitting at home too.

That would depend on whether or not you like the same type of vacations. My going to Hog games IS one form of my vacations every year. When sometimes I can't go I give props to those that do. I still do not think less of those that can't go.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

September 09, 2016, 11:14:52 am #156 Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:31:48 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Oklahawg on September 08, 2016, 11:21:35 am
Concessions used to be sub-contracted to non-profit groups raising money via work. I know the Farmington band worked the west side concessions for years. You are getting lay people working but cheaper than if Sodexo hires and trains their own people.

I heard a concession worker Saturday tell a lady she couldn't give her an empty cup. She also told her she was a part of a group raising money by working the concession stand. A lot of people need to understand that counting cups are one way they inventory sales in some venues.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on September 09, 2016, 08:38:41 am

You hit the nail on the head when you said for FUN. However knowing that my money I've said for going to games DOES help support the school is simply gravy since I want to support my school and it's academic and athletic departments. Also a lot of people give money to the school and sometimes the athletic department and never go to any athletic event.

It is a privilege to do ANYTHING for entertainment or fun or to help others. Even if you paid for going to a game it is still a privilege because it is an advantage they have to be able to earn enough money, which you mentioned, to be able to go. As far as talking about things that bother them do you ever have a PERFECT vacation, trip, etc.? Ever go to a movie and not like it and talk bad about it or the fact that didn't have the candy bar you love best, or the seat was uncomfortable, or the chair was dirty, etc? How about going to a restaurant and not liking the meal or having to wait in line? There is no such thing as a perfect vacation or event that people attend yet they still go. Same with athletic events.

factchecker

1.  The top reason my wife and I invest in tickets and our RF donation is to support the athletic department of our alma mater.

2. Agree.  I lost my grandmother to ALS recently and she never made it to one game.  She was a homebody who only went to town for groceries or doctor visits but she was a die-hard Hog fan.

3.  People complain about everything.  There is no such thing as perfect.  The distinction becomes whether or not your willing to put up with the imperfections. A lot of people aren't.  Divorce rates are high for a reason.  I have yet to reach a point in my marriage to the Razorbacks that I feel it isn't worth the effort.  Will there ever be a time when I call it quits and don't attend games? Probably so, either due to health issues or financial problems.  I am blessed to be healthy and with only moderate  :D financial issues.

Beyond that, if you don't understand why I "waste" my money on an imperfect product I just have to say it's my addiction.  Some people smoke, some people drink, some people gamble,  some do all the above.  My addiction is the Razorbacks.  Doesn't make me a better fan but it's the truth.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS