Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Redbird Rundown V

Started by dhornjr1, March 30, 2011, 01:26:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on May 11, 2011, 09:58:22 pm
So much for Westbrook pitching well.

And there's only a handful of things that I can think of right now that would make me happier than never having to see Franklin pitch in a Cards uni again.
Cosigned.
ched come back pls

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

I don't get the move Petini made after the T7th. We get some nice momentum, then sub out Pujols and Berkman, with Holliday already out. Kind of bugs me, packing it in like that.
ched come back pls

FS Hog

Smolder

Garcia throwing some smoke today again. Becoming an ace in the making. And the Cubbies go down.

pigture perfect

Who would have thought that the Cards would have 2 pitchers 5-0 in May and their names not be Carpenter and Wainwright. First tiome since 1963.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

dhornjr1

Quote from: FS Hog on May 12, 2011, 05:01:00 pm
+1's for series win

+1 now and +1 later to all for taking two out of three.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Great momentum going into a pretty big series vs. Cincy. +1's for the win, and +1's later for good luck.
ched come back pls

The Hogfather

Smolder

I hope Brandon Phillips catches one in the ear.

pigture perfect

All Yadi has to do is call it. Especially if Carp is pitching. I really hate that Rolen plays for the Reds. He is class. He's the only class that the Reds have. I hope Cueto gets it in the earhole as well.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on May 13, 2011, 01:20:56 pm

Yeah Johnny Cueto sucks but do you see Johnny Gomes at the plate?   He adjusts his gloves on every play and tugs his caps too much..  It is so annoying..  the former Devil Ray...lol
Skip Schumaker does the same thing. That's one of a few reasons why I don't look forward to him coming off the DL. It's probably the most annoying thing to ever watch. If I were a pitcher, I'd just plunk him on the first pitch of every at bat just to prevent it.
ched come back pls

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 13, 2011, 12:54:06 pm
All Yadi has to do is call it. Especially if Carp is pitching. I really hate that Rolen plays for the Reds. He is class. He's the only class that the Reds have. I hope Cueto gets it in the earhole as well.
One can only hope..
ched come back pls

dhornjr1

In case you guys are interested, today is the 53rd anniversary of Stan Musial's 3,000th hit.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_db9cfc74-7d89-11e0-b7be-001a4bcf6878.html

Harry Caray's call of the hit was one of my dad's favorites. Listen to it here:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/baseball/golden_throats/flash.htm

My dad was lucky enough to be in attendance when Musial hit his 475th, and final, home run in 1963.

pigture perfect

What a tough loss last night. I hate the Reds.

jst01

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 14, 2011, 11:23:08 am
What a tough loss last night. I hate the Reds.
It sucked.   I'm just never a motte fan when game is on line, guy only can control one pitch. The whole stadium knows what he's gonna throw.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on May 14, 2011, 03:31:43 pm

Abd Cincinnati announcers are the most partisan homers.   I can't stand them.
Yup. You hear the way they talked about Phillips? My word. They basically said he was head and shoulders above Cano and Utley, saying his defense is the best. Sure, he made a good play a few days ago, but come on.
ched come back pls

pigture perfect

I'd rather have Descalso than Phillips.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

I have to admit, that play by Cueto was absolutely nasty.
ched come back pls

jst01

What a dramatic end to the game today. This division race is going to finish with some exciting games between Cards & Reds. Hope Albert is mashing by then.

The Hogfather

GROSS....................................

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

I'm just going to pretend this series never happened.. Hopefully it will go away.
ched come back pls

dhornjr1

Quote from: HogsnCards on May 16, 2011, 12:26:38 pm
I'm just going to pretend this series never happened.. Hopefully it will go away.

This feud with Cincinnati is getting old. That crap at the end of the game was ridiculous.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: FilipinaRazorback on May 16, 2011, 01:28:03 pm

What crap at the end of the game?   Did I miss something?????
Not sure about the whole story, but Dave Duncan and Codero (sp?) started jawing after the game. Pretty sure it had to do with Pujols taking a pitch in the wrist.
ched come back pls

dhornjr1

dhornjr1

Quote from: HogsnCards on May 16, 2011, 01:35:10 pm
Not sure about the whole story, but Dave Duncan and Codero (sp?) started jawing after the game. Pretty sure it had to do with Pujols taking a pitch in the wrist.

I remember a game either last year or the year before when Pujols got intentionally plunked high on his upper body by a Cubs pitcher and no one uttered a peep about it. A Reds pitcher does it clearly by accident and everyone is ready to go to war.

The hatred between La Russa and his crew and Dusty Baker has gone far beyond the usual stuff you see in baseball.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: dhornjr1 on May 16, 2011, 04:38:55 pm
I remember a game either last year or the year before when Pujols got intentionally plunked high on his upper body by a Cubs pitcher and no one uttered a peep about it. A Reds pitcher does it clearly by accident and everyone is ready to go to war.

The hatred between La Russa and his crew and Dusty Baker has gone far beyond the usual stuff you see in baseball.
It's getting a little over the top. I mean, it's good for putting butts in seats when they play, but as long as we're both in contention, they will fill either way. I guess this is the rivalry that Brandon Phillips built? Ironic.
ched come back pls

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

In other news, Cliff Lee is carving us up. Can't say I'm THAT suprised.
ched come back pls

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

I stand corrected. Still no hits, but at least we're making him work.
ched come back pls

dhornjr1

Quote from: HogsnCards on May 16, 2011, 07:01:56 pm
I stand corrected. Still no hits, but at least we're making him work.

Molina is one tough hombre.

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

Quote from: dhornjr1 on May 16, 2011, 07:33:57 pm
Molina is one tough hombre.
As soon as I saw the collision, I knew Molina would be feeling it. He just.. jammed. His movement was completely halted. Ouch. I guess it would have hurt worse if he was a bit faster ;)
ched come back pls

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=stl#month=5&year=2011&team_id=138

Todd back with the orginization! Could actually play a big role in the bullpen later on this year.
ched come back pls

dhornjr1

Quote from: HogsnCards on May 16, 2011, 07:38:01 pm
As soon as I saw the collision, I knew Molina would be feeling it. He just.. jammed. His movement was completely halted. Ouch. I guess it would have hurt worse if he was a bit faster ;)

LOL

Yeah. It looked like his right leg was gonna be messed up the way it jammed in there.

Quote from: HogsnCards on May 16, 2011, 07:41:05 pm
http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=stl#month=5&year=2011&team_id=138

Todd back with the orginization! Could actually play a big role in the bullpen later on this year.

That's good news. Glad to see him back in the fold.

Hogtropolis™

Jess Todd got claimed off waivers today by the Cards. Nice to see him back in the system.

As far as LaRussa and Baker goes, they haven't liked each other for quite some time. Does that article say what it all goes back to?

Hogtropolis™

Looks like I was a little late posting that.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on May 16, 2011, 07:46:55 pm
As far as LaRussa and Baker goes, they haven't liked each other for quite some time. Does that article say what it all goes back to?

No, it doesn't. I've never been able to hear definitively what the problems are.

dhornjr1

Anybody else think that Jake Westbrook looks like Cooter from the Dukes of Hazzard?

porkinsons disease

Quote from: dhornjr1 on May 16, 2011, 04:38:55 pm

This. No way that Cordero plunks Albert on an 0-2 count putting the tying run on base, to get to Holliday and Berkman.  It was a frustrating weekend for the Cards and the media is trying to build it up to something it is not (yet).
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

pigture perfect

Quote from: HogsnCards on May 16, 2011, 07:41:05 pm

Heck Yeah! I'm extremely happy about this one. And the win tonight. I really like Cliff Lee, but tonight he was the enemy. +1's

FS Hog

Is moving Berkman to 1st a one game thing?  1/4 of the way through have they decided Berkman isn't a right fielder and they are in desperate need of defense.
Next they need a shortstop.

FS Hog

ARGGGGGGGGGGGG
The defensive replacement drops a pop up.

dhornjr1

Well, the war of words with the Reds continues to escalate.

Reds broadcaster calls Carp 'whiner,' Duncan 'infantile'

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/article_5247ed5e-807b-11e0-9a38-0019bb30f31a.html

QuoteCincinnati broadcaster Marty Brennaman threw more fuel on the Cardinals-Reds rivalry, referring to former Cy Young Award winner Chris Carpenter as "that whiner and excuse maker."

The broadcast booth discussion turned to Dave Duncan, who was referred to as "that infantile pitching coach."

(Speaking of infantile, WLW, the Reds rights holder, ran this contest: "Cardinals manager Tony La Russa has shingles, so we want to give you a chance to win some Tony La Russa shingles of your own! The Reds and Cards clash this weekend at GABP and we're backin' our redlegs by giving you a shot to win Tony La Russa shingles courtesy of Ray St. Clair roofing." Stay classy Cincinnati!)

As for the Cardinals, the broadcaster mocked acting Cardinals manager Joe Pettini for supposedly having said "every time (we) come in here, it's always something with that team."

In reality, Pettini was referring to past and current episodes between the teams when he said: "It's always something when you come in here."

(Like, for instance, Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto ending Jason LaRue's career by kicking him in the head with his cleats. Apparently, Brennaman "misremembers" that assault.)

Brennaman is known for popping off. At a speaking engagement at Marshall University earlier this year, according to the Charleston Daily Mail, he referred to La Russa as "Mr. Baseball."

Why? "Because he acts like he invented the game," Brennaman said.

La Russa on Brennaman: "Earn respect, not abuse it"

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/article_d24df148-80de-11e0-86bb-001a4bcf6878.html

ST. LOUIS -- Choosing his words carefully to avoid a back-and-back forth with Cincinnati Reds broadcaster Marty Brennman, St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa offered a compliment with a caveat.

During the broadcast of the Reds-Cubs game on Monday, Brennaman went on a brief rant that included desciptions of Cardinals starter Chris Carpenter as "a whiner" and pitching coach Dave Duncan as "infantile." La Russa said he had not heard the comments specifically, but he winced when told what Brennaman had said about Duncan.

"I think the safest thing to say is that he's a Hall of Famer and he should get the respect that inclusion in that place deserves," La Russa said. "And he ought to earn it every day from his Hall of Fame induction forward. He ought to earn it and not abuse it."

Brennaman, who is refreshingly candid and evenly critical for a home town play-by-play man, was inducted into the broadcasters' wing of the Hall of Fame.

He went onto say during the broadcast that La Russa's opinion even refuted the team's grumbling about Francisco Cordero's up-and-in pitch on Pujols. A clarification: La Russa's opinion did not. The Cardinals were frustrated by the location of the pitch, not the notion that Cordero would hit Pujols. Players said the next day that obviously Cordero wasn't trying to hit Pujols -- a "purpose pitch," as La Russa called it. Their problem was with Cordero firing high and tight without command on Pujols. La Russa agreed with that opinion and even repeated it in his own words Monday.

When a second wave of media approached La Russa on Tuesday to ask about Brennaman's commenst, the manager recast his comment for a new audience, but kept the general theme.

"He's a Hall of Famer," the Cardinals skipper reminded the media. "He ought to keep earning that respect instead of abusing it."

FS Hog

It took an extra half inning but it's a win!

dhornjr1

Quote from: FS Hog on May 17, 2011, 10:02:24 pm
It took an extra half inning but it's a win!

Garcia got cheated out of a win.

pigture perfect

Ugly, but I'll take it.

DeltaBoy

The Hate between the Reds and the Cards goes back at least to the 1970's.   I learned at a young age to dislike the REDS!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbell96

Quote from: dhornjr1 on May 17, 2011, 10:03:37 pm
Garcia got cheated out of a win.

That was probably one of the worst drops I have ever seen. Sucks for Jaime that he didn't get the win, but going 2-0 against the Phillies when they send out Cliff Lee & Roy Oswalt is something I will take every time out.

hoghappy

We won't see Chapman this time around. He's on the DL, which is alright with me.

dhornjr1

Quote from: jbell96 on May 18, 2011, 11:20:19 am
going 2-0 against the Phillies when they send out Cliff Lee & Roy Oswalt is something I will take every time out.

Agreed.

Smolder

Quote from: dhornjr1 on May 18, 2011, 11:37:28 am
Agreed.

Ditto. I will take it. If we can figure out how to hit when playing the Reds, we will be well on our way to another division title.