Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelley

Started by RedRazorHog, September 23, 2017, 11:51:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

fullfan

He can go north/south but man lateral quickness not there.   Not going to escape many pocket breakdowns.

NorCalRazorback

Quote from: fullfan on September 23, 2017, 06:30:57 pm
He can go north/south but man lateral quickness not there.   Not going to escape many pocket breakdowns.

I'm not sure yet, but I'm thinking he has an instinctive internal clock that will have him get rid of the ball in less than 5 seconds.
"...and Decori Birmingham has caught it in the back of the end zone to tie it at 20 all with 9 seconds left..." 

Miracle on Markham '02
Arkansas 21 LSU 20

Ex-Trumpet

Maybe it's been said but I haven't seen it...

Could Cole Kelley be Bielema's Matt Jones?  No doubt MJ extended Nutt's tenure at UA.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Rayzback

Quote from: fullfan on September 23, 2017, 06:30:57 pm

Sadly, I already find myself thinking about what next year will look like. I really like that they are working him in on plays and hope his role can grow. No, I don't think he's ready to replace AA. Hell, if he falls forward our loss of yards on sacks could be reduced :)
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

leroyhawg

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 23, 2017, 11:56:01 am
Happy feet?!?! When the right side of your OL is getting you pummeled YOU would have happy feet or be a little skiddish too!!!

He gets himself pummeled, no pocket presence whatsoever!
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

gangstaback

Quote from: tee1up2par on September 23, 2017, 01:44:03 pm
Then why didn't u play college football?

Gotta go to Fayetteville High School first to play.

gangstaback

Quote from: jcbville on September 23, 2017, 11:53:38 am
I like Cole. But this was all planned. Easy there. They set it up brilliantly. They get him to run couple then let him pass. Set up very well.

Disagree.

He brought energy to the play and had the ATM intimidated. This is the kind of leadership the team is missing.

The other QB had plenty of goal line opportunities the last 2 games to look good.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I always liked Lorenzen, and Kelley can run the ball!  I hope he gets better at reading the D.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

leroyhawg

Play Cole, maybe he won't blame everyone else for his shortcomings!

Navin Johnson

buldozer

Cole is the near future of this team, so the more he plays the better we should eventually be. I like putting him in and support increasing his reps throughout the season. At least until AA gets his mojo back. At the top of his game last year AA's performance would limit a backup's involvement, but with AA's current performance, let Cole get increasing reps.

FineAsSwine

C'mon people, Cole can't carry this team on his back without an offensive line to protect his backside. Even with piss poor pass protection and having to hold onto the ball longer to let our receivers try to get open, AA still led that shaky offense to 43 points.

AA performed admirably under the circumstances and all of the couch potatoes calling him panicky or having happy feet must have missed the pounding he took last year and continuing into this year just like his brother before him.

We got 99 problems but AA ain't one.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Quote from: buldozer on September 24, 2017, 10:52:01 am
Cole is the near future of this team, so the more he plays the better we should eventually be. I like putting him in and support increasing his reps throughout the season. At least until AA gets his mojo back. At the top of his game last year AA's performance would limit a backup's involvement, but with AA's current performance, let Cole get increasing reps.

I agree with using him as they did.

I don't think it should be based on Allen's mojo or performance.  Isn't Allen struggling because of O-line, lack of experienced receivers(which just got a while world of worse with Cornelius out) and overall poor gameplan/coaching? 

The LAST thing we want is sending him out there and getting him hurt OR even worse, killing his confidence instead of bringing him on slowly.  He is still a work in progress, as you could tell when he failed to read a WIDE OPEN WR that would have been an easy TD.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

leroyhawg

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on September 24, 2017, 11:00:13 am
I agree with using him as they did.

I don't think it should be based on Allen's mojo or performance.  Isn't Allen struggling because of O-line, lack of experienced receivers(which just got a while world of worse with Cornelius out) and overall poor gameplan/coaching? 

The LAST thing we want is sending him out there and getting him hurt OR even worse, killing his confidence instead of bringing him on slowly.  He is still a work in progress, as you could tell when he failed to read a WIDE OPEN WR that would have been an easy TD.

AA makes the oline look bad by hanging on to the ball to long!

Navin Johnson

FineAsSwine

Quote from: leroyhawg on September 24, 2017, 11:15:28 am

AA is holding the ball longer bc the receivers are not getting separation. He is trying to make a play and getting beat up for it both on and off the field.
Hogs up! Covid down!

donbro

This thread has gone full retard. Say what you want about Austin, he's a gamer. If Cole would have played we would have lost by 3 touchdowns. Our fan base is delusional

Quote from: leroyhawg on September 24, 2017, 11:15:28 am

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 24, 2017, 11:21:02 am
AA is holding the ball longer bc the receivers are not getting separation. He is trying to make a play and getting beat up for it both on and off the field.

I agree with both of these, but it's all related and one big mess that we should not subject Kelley too unless we have to.

Quote from: donbro on September 24, 2017, 11:22:40 am
This thread has gone full retard. Say what you want about Austin, he's a gamer. If Cole would have played we would have lost by 3 touchdowns. Our fan base is delusional

Agreed, Kelley is not ready.

Athog

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 23, 2017, 11:56:13 am
He doesn't play scared like Allen does and I like it.

Well hell he has not get *** knocked off like Austin!!

sigpooie

allen is snakebit.. time to move on. Kelley would equal or improve our production by not going down so easy, or starting to look for d linemen way to early or not hitting the open route because he was looking down the 1st option the rest of the time. He's like reading a 9th grade qb for a d. Plus I can't remember a bigger complainer ever taking the field for the hogs, other than his brother.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

FineAsSwine

Quote from: sigpooie on September 24, 2017, 11:32:11 am
allen is snakebit.. time to move on. Kelley would equal or improve our production by not going down so easy, or starting to look for d linemen way to early or not hitting the open route because he was looking down the 1st option the rest of the time. He's like reading a 9th grade qb for a d. Plus I can't remember a bigger complainer ever taking the field for the hogs, other than his brother.

Hogville didn't have a lot of love for Brandon either but he made it to the NFL.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Did you see that wide open TD that Kelley missed?  He missed the read, then by the time he saw the WR the pocket collapsed around him...he looked just like Allen has much of the season on that play.

Allen is not the problem.  Yes, he's not playing with confidence but that is a symptom of a larger problem.

MuskogeeHogFan

I think it would be a mistake to insert Kelley this early. Work him in over the course of the season. Let him learn to read defenses and coverage. He doesn't have the escapability of Allen and we are going to have to put in more packages that involve planned "hot receivers" for him to dump the ball of to when he feels significant pressure coming and can't go through his progressions. We don't want to take a chance on ruining this kid too early just because fans think he did great on a few designed plays for him that didn't involve a whole lot of comprehension on his part.
Go Hogs Go!

sigpooie

Shavin he pulled an allen by holding the ball to long. not sure why but still pitched it toward him just short
Muskogee, I would like to see allen inserted to see if he can get two first downs on a drive or two. Your right but I can wish..
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Quote from: sigpooie on September 24, 2017, 02:24:05 pm
Shavin he pulled an allen by holding the ball to long. not sure why but still pitched it toward him just short
Muskogee, I would like to see allen inserted to see if he can get two first downs on a drive or two. Your right but I can wish..

Did you mean Kelley at the end there?

I agree, he did hold it too long, but his first read it was there, the WR was wide open for a TD.  He threw it his way after scanning the other side of the field and coming back to him.

I just don't want him to get hurt or to ruin his confidence.  Whoever starts I don't think will survive without injury.

sigpooie

My problem with the way allen handles the game makes me wonder if Kelley might be able to at least keep the running game going with more options and a QB that could take out a linebacker. Allen can't read the field as well as most have said, he sticks with the weakest coverage guy and rarely sees the coverage trap (triple and double coverage to the side hes looking). Kelley throws a better screen and doesn't dodge the traffic with no plan in sight. Kelley was trying to get back to the other side to throw it after he finally saw him.  Our best qbs could duck and cover with the best coming at them, Allen does not. I wish he did but he does not.

ShadowHawg

I loved the packages they installed for Kelly. I don't think they can work long term though.

He looked very slow out there to me. He doesn't really inspire me about the future either.

But if Allen can't quit attacking his teammates in public outbursts then I am all for going to Kelly.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Put the OL problems aside, it was actually a step in the right direction at least by Enos to get Cole Kelley some work.  It not only has an immediate impact in helping us win games but gets him much needed experience in true critical game situations.  Did we really see this at all in BB's first 4 years except the OM game where BA got hurt but we already had a good lead and AA came in and finished just fine?

This is very similar to how Dak started out at MSU.  They used him situationally first year then got more work second year, then starter last 2.

So although there is not a high % chance that they would just put CK out there if AA was struggling, CK proved he could handle it if needed so there is that hope going forward that if AA is having problems they could actually put CK in for a series and see what happens.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 24, 2017, 03:56:24 pm
Put the OL problems aside, it was actually a step in the right direction at least by Enos to get Cole Kelley some work.  It not only has an immediate impact in helping us win games but gets him much needed experience in true critical game situations.  Did we really see this at all in BB's first 4 years except the OM game where BA got hurt but we already had a good lead and AA came in and finished just fine?

This is very similar to how Dak started out at MSU.  They used him situationally first year then got more work second year, then starter last 2.

So although there is not a high % chance that they would just put CK out there if AA was struggling, CK proved he could handle it if needed so there is that hope going forward that if AA is having problems they could actually put CK in for a series and see what happens.

If CK takes over and lights it up, to the extent that it is McFaddenesque....then BB could/should stay.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 24, 2017, 03:56:24 pm
Did we really see this at all in BB's first 4 years except the OM game where BA got hurt but we already had a good lead and AA came in and finished just fine?
I thought that was the game where he SHOULD have put AA in the game because BA was hurt, but left BA in the game to continue to take more punishment and we lost.

That said, I like what I saw from CK and I hope he keeps getting more snaps until eventually Austin Allen is on the bench for good.  not sure what happened between last year and this year, but AA will not let go and throw the ball.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

JaketheSnake

Kelly has a monster grin

Tarheelhawg

Enos is wise to use Cole Kelly strategically which has been effective.  You gotta love CK's swagger.  It is infectious. 

solitons

he looks great, we'll have a good QB next year

AugustaHog

This isn't even a referendum on AA, but if we were to lose to So. Carolina, Kelley needs to be mixed in significantly more.  At that point, you have to start thinking about next year.  AA has earned his playing time and I'm not saying that we bench him, but for the sake of the next season, we have to get Kelley some live snaps.  If we don't win in Columbia in 2 weeks, we'd be sitting at 2-3 going to Bama.  I'm only seeing a couple left that I'm going to assume as wins (Coast. Car. and Mizzou).  OM is at least on par with USC and Miss. St. is better than both of them.  None of those games are unreasonable to see as W's, just more of a toss up than anything.  AU and LSU are teams that I don't see us beating.  They will gash us with some big runs.  I'm just not sure the D stuffs their run game.  Even being optimistic, 6-6 looks like the high water mark if we aren't able to handle USCe.  Let the kid play and at least answer one off-season question.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: FineAsSwine on September 24, 2017, 11:36:01 am
Hogville didn't have a lot of love for Brandon either but he made it to the NFL.
Brandon also didn't mind throwing the ball away 3 seconds into a play
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

lawhawg20

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 23, 2017, 12:41:26 pm
I think Cole Kelley would lower the boom on someone in that case!

Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse!