Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Mountian Lions

Started by Hogjawls, December 16, 2008, 07:08:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgon

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 25, 2009, 07:32:38 pm

You're not correctly remembering that particular episode.  They ran the known distances and reference points along with the video of the cat and came to the conclusion that it was a very large specimen of domestic cat.

No I'm not incorrectly remembering it.  There were several videos on that episode.  One of them they said was a house cat.  The last one in West Virginia was too big.

hogdiggity

Quote from: Hawgon on January 25, 2009, 08:26:27 pm
No I'm not incorrectly remembering it.  There were several videos on that episode.  One of them they said was a house cat.  The last one in West Virginia was too big.

I was trying to find a clip of this episode online.  I haven't found it yet, but I saw this on youtube, I am NOT vouching for it in any way, just thought it was interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOHFT9RUW3I

JIMMY BOARFFETT

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

hogdiggity

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on January 25, 2009, 08:37:25 pm
Here is one with much better quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp1Uk-uN4vg&feature=related

yes, that is a cute little house cat. 

as I said, I am not trying to pass this video off as fact, but the cat on the one I referenced looked larger, but it was just a video. 

Hawgon

There really isn't any reason that there couldn't be an invasive species in the Southern U.S.  The jaguarundi in Florida are thought to have been released from traveling side shows in the 1930s.  There were literally hundreds of those traveling shows and one would have to assume that lots of animals were let loose. 

A wildcat, slightly larger than a house cat, would have no trouble surviving and even thriving almost anywhere in the U.S..   

spit

Quote from: hogdiggity on January 25, 2009, 07:37:13 pm
I don't know how you can call anywhere home to a cougar, they have been documented through radio collar tracking to travel as much as 2700 miles.

you ever traveled?  Don't you also have a home? 

a cat that has traveled 2700miles is no longer considered in its home range.  FWIW, this is precisely what i would say is the reason for any REAL mtn lion sightings in ark.  They are just passing through.  Period.  Not living here, setting up home range, breeding, multiplying, etc etc.  Get a grip.  Surely you know the difference.  As i posted earlier.. as someone i believe a farmer from batesville indicated in a previous thread.. FORNICATING WITHIN THE BORDERS OF THE STATE.

spit

January 26, 2009, 12:03:32 am #256 Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:28:35 am by spit
Quote from: hogdiggity on January 25, 2009, 07:46:50 pm
yes, there are some areas where they seem to be less nomadic, and these areas tend to have more cats in them.  This may be one reason why they are less nomadic, they don't have to move around to find a mate.

EXACTLY.  These areas are where they are known to live.  Mtn lions exist in these states.  Mtn lions breed in these states and mutiply, rais their young.  These states or areas are NOT arkansas.  That is the point some are trying to make in this thread.

FWIW, these areas you speak of - home range of mtn lions - Guess what, people see them, kill them, get pictures of them, etc etc and NOT A SINGLE ONE HAS EVER BEEN A BLACK PANTHER!

what are the chances that here, where the cougar that does happen to be sighted has traveled from long distances simply as a nomad.. is also the 1 in 10 gazillion chance that its freaking black?  Its dumb.

spit

January 26, 2009, 12:11:16 am #257 Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:27:25 am by spit
again, my main issue on this topic is people reporting black panthers destroys credibility.  It illustrates the idiocy and unreliability of the general public as a source for reporting mtn lions in the state, and thats a big reason the AGFC or any official cannot take reports seriously and really investigate them.  Yes i know there is a list of reasons the AGFC supposedly denies they exist and so many stories of "they wouldn't even come out and look at the tracks... they don't want to confirm... blah blah".

Too many people crying wolf.  Would waste too much time and resource chasing down all the reports and "investigating"...  I don't blame them for being disinterested b/c there aren't any problems of a wild lion here causing a wreck, killing/terrorizing neighborhoods pets, attacking children, or being shot (all of the above occur in states where they are known to live).  And then, when there is a report - often times its of a black one.

Its frustrating to people that love the outdoors hunting/fishing/hiking in this state that really want to be able to believe in the reports of mtn lions because you simply cannot believe it when so many of them are lying or mistaken.

would be the same idea as having the police investigating reports of bigfoot seen walking through the woods or crossing a road minding his own business.  its just stupid.

spit

Yes, i did say it.  In Ark, anybody that says they've seen a black panther running wild in the woods is either telling a lie or they are simply mistaken.  IMO.

One day when somebody finally does kill/capture/run over or otherwise get definitive proof of a mtn lion wild living in arkansas i'll bet any of you $100,000cash it will NOT be black!  .. twist.. got any money for a wager??  put your money where your mouth is.

twistitup

January 26, 2009, 06:52:25 am #259 Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 06:54:05 am by twistitup
Quote from: spit on January 26, 2009, 12:27:36 am
Yes, i did say it.  In Ark, anybody that says they've seen a black panther running wild in the woods is either telling a lie or they are simply mistaken.  IMO.

One day when somebody finally does kill/capture/run over or otherwise get definitive proof of a mtn lion wild living in arkansas i'll bet any of you $100,000cash it will NOT be black!  .. twist.. got any money for a wager??  put your money where your mouth is.

Not too smart with your money!
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

twistitup

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on January 25, 2009, 07:39:13 pm
The listed size for Jaguarundis in your link is 13.2 pounds.  Most commonly, the size range for a Jaguarundi is considered to be 10-20 pounds.  That is essentially the same size as the common house cat.  I have a female house cat that weighs 18 pounds (weighed at the vet).  Why would the animal posted in the picture be the extremely rare/exotic Jaguarundi and not the very common house cat?

As far as the presence of Mt Lions in Arkansas, you bet.  They are here, I believe due to a reclaiming of their ancestral range.  Where this gets balled up is in the "Black Cat" sightings.  Heck, maybe it's some government science project.  Again, who knows.

If you agree they are re establishing their range in AR...why couldn't there be a melanistic (black) cat born? If cats are breeding, chances are black cats with melanistic traits will be born on occasion .

hogdiggity

January 26, 2009, 07:21:14 am #261 Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 08:37:53 am by hogdiggity
Quote from: spit on January 25, 2009, 11:50:49 pm
you ever traveled?  Don't you also have a home? 

a cat that has traveled 2700miles is no longer considered in its home range.  FWIW, this is precisely what i would say is the reason for any REAL mtn lion sightings in ark.  They are just passing through.  Period.  Not living here, setting up home range, breeding, multiplying, etc etc.  Get a grip.  Surely you know the difference.  As i posted earlier.. as someone i believe a farmer from batesville indicated in a previous thread.. FORNICATING WITHIN THE BORDERS OF THE STATE.

Well if I travel and fornicate in another state does that make me a breeding population for that state, as I have done so on many occasions! ;)

HogBreath

Quote from: hogdiggity on January 26, 2009, 07:21:14 am
Well if I travel and fornicate in another state does that make me a breeding population for that state, as I have done so on many occasion! ;)
Bwahahahaha....you tried to make it sound good and stretch the truth, but your conscience wouldn't let you.  You left occasion singular.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hogdiggity

Quote from: HogBreath on January 26, 2009, 08:06:22 am
Bwahahahaha....you tried to make it sound good and stretch the truth, but your conscience wouldn't let you.  You left occasion singular.

I fixed it, but that is kind of slang for where I am from to not put the "s" on the final word when the preceeding one is plural.

Hawgon

QuoteEXACTLY.  These areas are where they are known to live.  Mtn lions exist in these states.  Mtn lions breed in these states and mutiply, rais their young.  These states or areas are NOT arkansas.  That is the point some are trying to make in this thread.

Look, here is the deal.  Cats are very territorial.  They establish a territory that may cover hundreds of square miles.  They defend that territory against interlopers and only mingle with other cats during breeding season.  So, in any given area at any given time, there will only be a few, maybe just one, cat around.

The young cats after being chased off by their mothers, move out in search of a territory to call their own.  They move to the first area with a good food supply and no established cats and set up their own territory.  Up until now, the mortality rate among big cats in the West has been such that the cats have been able to find a territory relatively easily.  But, now, hunting of the cats is mostly forbidden.  In places like Colorado, the suburbs are enroaching more and more on what used to be prime cougar habitat.  So, these young cougars have to go farther and farther in search of an area with good food and no other cougars.

If these young cougars just move down the Arkansas or Red River valleys following the food, that puts them right into Arkansas.  That is what is happening.

RazorReb

Quote from: twistitup on January 26, 2009, 06:52:25 am
Not too smart with your money!

Translate, I am a poor pot head that sees things

twistitup

Quote from: RazorReb on January 26, 2009, 10:28:46 am
Translate, I am a poor pot head that sees things

Your translation of what I said makes absolutely no sense. Not too bright are ya?

Things aren't going so well on the Mountion Lion discussion so you go after more pot reference...great job!

Fatmanhog

i cant believe this thread is still going. i dont doubt they exist, they very well could. i dont think anyone can call someone an idiot for thinking they exist. i was told by tho P.O.A. that bella vista didnt have mt. lions or wolves. i saw them with my own eyes. i have also seen a black bobcat in BV but i have not seen a black mt. lion. i wish i could because that would be a very beautiful animal.
to nutt or not to nutt, thats not even a question any more.

POST 1475 OF I JUST STEVEN HILL...
Quote from: alohawg on October 26, 2009, 03:44:04 PM
I think his comes naturally, hermaphrodite??? A new nickname maybe, 'the mighty hermaphrodity'

The Hermaphronutt

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: twistitup on January 26, 2009, 06:58:24 am
If you agree they are re establishing their range in AR...why couldn't there be a melanistic (black) cat born? If cats are breeding, chances are black cats with melanistic traits will be born on occasion .

To my knowledge there has never been a documented case of a melanistic Mt Lion.  But, let's go ahead and reach for the most improbable explanation for all the sightings of black creatures.

twistitup

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on January 26, 2009, 04:53:00 pm
To my knowledge there has never been a documented case of a melanistic Mt Lion.  But, let's go ahead and reach for the most improbable explanation for all the sightings of black creatures.

No explanation will work, we both know that. Until you have had personal confirmation (seeing one), you will not believe. It's ok, I just hope you see one. If you do, will you shoot it and post the pic?

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: twistitup on January 26, 2009, 08:12:46 pm
No explanation will work, we both know that. Until you have had personal confirmation (seeing one), you will not believe. It's ok, I just hope you see one. If you do, will you shoot it and post the pic?

I'll be retiring soon so I'll be spending a lot of time in some very remote places.  Along with hiking and camping, one of my hobbies is photography, I've bought a new camera so, if I'm fortunate enough to get a picture of one of these creatures, I'll send you an 8x10 glossy.  ;)

twistitup

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on January 26, 2009, 08:23:28 pm
I'll be retiring soon so I'll be spending a lot of time in some very remote places.  Along with hiking and camping, one of my hobbies is photography, I've bought a new camera so, if I'm fortunate enough to get a picture of one of these creatures, I'll send you an 8x10 glossy.  ;)

Thanks, I will frame it.

You will post one too won't you? Otherwise how will we convince RazorReb, Spit, Tito and crew?

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: twistitup on January 26, 2009, 08:30:35 pm
Thanks, I will frame it.

You will post one too won't you? Otherwise how will we convince RazorReb, Spit, Tito and crew?

Oh believe me, if get a picture of one, I'll run all the way to the house and post that bad boy!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: twistitup on January 26, 2009, 08:30:35 pm
Thanks, I will frame it.

Too bad you didn't snap a pic of the one you killed... allegedly.  How is it that it didn't cross your mind to do that?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

spit

TWISTITUP

3 questions for you and you alone.  A simple yes or no will suffice.  Thanks.

#1:  do you believe in bigfoot?  yes or no

#2:  have you seen bigfoot?  yes or no     (if "yes", how many times, approximately)

#3:  have you ever shot at bigfoot off the back porch?  yes or no

thank you.

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

twistitup

January 27, 2009, 07:28:57 am #276 Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:09:58 am by twistitup
Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 26, 2009, 11:55:30 pm

Too bad you didn't snap a pic of the one you killed... allegedly.  How is it that it didn't cross your mind to do that?

I was a teenager and my family live in the middle of nowhere. This was before I had ever heard of posting pics or the internet. We did show it to a friend of ours that live a few miles away, but beyond that we thought it wasn't that big of a deal ~ we were just trying to save our geese.

We had seen them before, so I really did not get too happy, but I did think it was cool.

Coolest part was his coat and tail. It was not like cat hair, but 2-3 times as dense and thick. Tail was almost as long as his body.

twistitup

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 27, 2009, 12:58:08 am
Here's a cool 'true' black cat item with photos.  http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/1887921/posts

So do you believe there is only ONE black cat now in the wild or does your proof open your mind to more possibilities?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: twistitup on January 27, 2009, 07:31:11 am
So do you believe there is only ONE black cat now in the wild or does your proof open your mind to more possibilities?

Melanistic bobcats have been known and verified for decades, just like the jaguar and jaguarundi.  There has never been a verified case of a melanistic cougar.  Not once.

Why don't you just acknowledge it?

twistitup

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 27, 2009, 08:56:14 am

Melanistic bobcats have been known and verified for decades, just like the jaguar and jaguarundi.  There has never been a verified case of a melanistic cougar.  Not once.

Why don't you just acknowledge it?

I don't care if what I saw DEAD was a jaguar, jaguarundi, panther, or cougar. All I am saying is that was solid black, large, muscular and no housecat...End of conversation. I have nothing to acknowledge besides we have differing opinions on if large wild black cats exist~

Albert Einswine

Quote from: twistitup on January 27, 2009, 09:08:44 am
I don't care if what I saw DEAD was a jaguar, jaguarundi, panther, or cougar. All I am saying is that was solid black, large, muscular and no housecat...End of conversation. I have nothing to acknowledge besides we have differing opinions on if large wild black cats exist~

It wasn't a puma concolor.  Acknowledge it.  Everyone that you're arguing with acknowledges that there are melanistic wild cats,  just no legitimate cases of mountain lion.

Here's a great source from your state of Texas.  http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/mlion/

Body length: 3-4 ft. Tail: 2.5-3 ft. Height at shoulder: 25-30 in. Weight: 70-170 lbs.

The Mountain Lion is a large, slender cat with a smallish head and noticeably long tail. Its fur is a light, tawny brown color which can appear gray or almost black, depending on light conditions. Contrary to popular belief, there are no black panthers in North America; no one has ever captured or killed a black Mountain Lion. Mountain Lions are also called cougars, pumas, panthers, painters, and catamounts.

twistitup

January 27, 2009, 09:45:45 am #281 Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 12:51:30 pm by twistitup
Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 27, 2009, 09:17:18 am

It wasn't a puma concolor.  Acknowledge it.  Everyone that you're arguing with acknowledges that there are melanistic wild cats,  just no legitimate cases of mountain lion.

Here's a great source from your state of Texas.  http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/mlion/

Body length: 3-4 ft. Tail: 2.5-3 ft. Height at shoulder: 25-30 in. Weight: 70-170 lbs.

The Mountain Lion is a large, slender cat with a smallish head and noticeably long tail. Its fur is a light, tawny brown color which can appear gray or almost black, depending on light conditions. Contrary to popular belief, there are no black panthers in North America; no one has ever captured or killed a black Mountain Lion. Mountain Lions are also called cougars, pumas, panthers, painters, and catamounts.

Shouldn't it say 'no one has ever REPORTED killing or capturing a black Mountain Lion? Who the hell would put themselves through the legal loopholes and public scrutiny of killing a rare animal....

Most people that live in rural areas do so for a reason, they don't want to deal with the general public...people that generally think they know everything - but it's all through books / internet, not experience.

kodiakisland

January 27, 2009, 10:13:22 pm #282 Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:01:20 pm by kodiakisland
Quote from: twistitup on January 27, 2009, 09:45:45 am
Shouldn't it say 'no one has ever REPORTED killing or capturing a black Mountain Lion? Who the hell would put themselves through the legal loopholes and public scrutiny of killing a rare animal....

Most people that live in rural areas do so for a reason, they don't want to deal with the general public...people that generally think they know everything - but it's all through books / internet, not experience.

Maybe it should say in the last 300+ years no one in the US has ever reported killing or capturing one, or photographed one, or found a dead one, or hit one with a car, or bred one in captivity, or ... EVER.  Not once.

To this day, you have just as good a chance of seeing bigfoot as a black mountain lion.

Not everyone who lives in rural areas are ignorant or stupid.  Stop giving them a bad name.  Most of the people I hear talking about seeing mnt lions and black panthers are people that live in town and have never been anywhere that mnt lions truely live.  For those of us who have lived in areas or spent a lot of time in areas that really do have high numbers of mnt lions, most of this thread is pure crap.

Believe what you want, just don't think that makes you right.

I'm sure there are a few mnt lions in Arkansas.  Some of them may even be from wild descent.  There are not, however, as many as people claim to see.  I know people out west who hunt mnt lions for a living who don't see as many as some people on this site claim to.  Until there is proof of a black mnt lion, they don't exist.  You can dig up as many pictures of black cats as you want, but so far, they don't even come close to looking like a mountain lion.  I suggest a trip to the zoo to see one up close.

I was calling coyotes last Thursday and did call in a large black cat but didn't shoot because I was after yotes, not house cats.  You never know though, guess I should have shot.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

spit

Quote from: twistitup on January 27, 2009, 09:45:45 am

you seem to have a tone throughout your posts about "living rural" and spending a lot of time in the woods etc..  You even asked me if i had ever seen a quail and suggested that i "get out and do some hiking"...  You sure seem to think that nobody else has any 'experience' etc..

I don't know who the f you think i am, or who you think some of the other people in this thread are but you really should STHU about things you don't know.  Just so everybody knows how deep you intellect and 'experience' goes I refer anybody who reads your ridiculous posts to

#1: the pic and comments of the black housecat above that you posted   and
#2:  Wasn't it you in another thread that didn't even know what chews on antler sheds? 

I'd refrain from trying to discredit other people's experience and/or knowledge in this or any other thread regarding things outdoors unless you are sure you know WTH you're talking about.

thanks, that is all.

twistitup

Quote from: spit on January 28, 2009, 12:55:43 am
you seem to have a tone throughout your posts about "living rural" and spending a lot of time in the woods etc..  You even asked me if i had ever seen a quail and suggested that i "get out and do some hiking"...  You sure seem to think that nobody else has any 'experience' etc..

I don't know who the f you think i am, or who you think some of the other people in this thread are but you really should STHU about things you don't know.  Just so everybody knows how deep you intellect and 'experience' goes I refer anybody who reads your ridiculous posts to

#1: the pic and comments of the black housecat above that you posted   and
#2:  Wasn't it you in another thread that didn't even know what chews on antler sheds? 

I'd refrain from trying to discredit other people's experience and/or knowledge in this or any other thread regarding things outdoors unless you are sure you know WTH you're talking about.

thanks, that is all.

In all reality SPIT, do you hunt or fish? Have you ever lived in a rural area? What are your hobbies? Just curious.

twistitup

Quote from: kodiakisland on January 27, 2009, 10:13:22 pm
Maybe it should say in the last 300+ years no one in the US has ever reported killing or capturing one, or photographed one, or found a dead one, or hit one with a car, or bred one in captivity, or ... EVER.  Not once.

To this day, you have just as good a chance of seeing bigfoot as a black mountain lion.

Not everyone who lives in rural areas are ignorant or stupid.  Stop giving them a bad name.  Most of the people I hear talking about seeing mnt lions and black panthers are people that live in town and have never been anywhere that mnt lions truely live.  For those of us who have lived in areas or spent a lot of time in areas that really do have high numbers of mnt lions, most of this thread is pure crap.

Believe what you want, just don't think that makes you right.

I'm sure there are a few mnt lions in Arkansas.  Some of them may even be from wild descent.  There are not, however, as many as people claim to see.  I know people out west who hunt mnt lions for a living who don't see as many as some people on this site claim to.  Until there is proof of a black mnt lion, they don't exist.  You can dig up as many pictures of black cats as you want, but so far, they don't even come close to looking like a mountain lion.  I suggest a trip to the zoo to see one up close.

I was calling coyotes last Thursday and did call in a large black cat but didn't shoot because I was after yotes, not house cats.  You never know though, guess I should have shot.

Are you for real? You called in a large black cat and chose not to shoot it?

So...you were predator hunting in the middle of nowhere and you called in a black house cat?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: twistitup on January 28, 2009, 10:28:35 am
Are you for real? You called in a large black cat and chose not to shoot it?

So...you were predator hunting in the middle of nowhere and you called in a black house cat?

The reality of feral domestic cats simply eludes you.  Where do you suppose all the wild hogs in Arkansas came from?

cypert2

OMG. Here we go with another black mountain lion thread. Never been one verified in the history of mankind. Get over it.
Swinging on the two and the four.

cypert2

Oh,and BTW. There have been hundreds of sightings of black mountain lions. But, of course, there have also been hundreds of sightings of bigfoot and little green men.
Swinging on the two and the four.

spit

January 29, 2009, 08:51:52 am #289 Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:07:51 am by spit
Quote from: twistitup on January 28, 2009, 10:26:37 am
In all reality SPIT, do you hunt or fish? Have you ever lived in a rural area? What are your hobbies? Just curious.
I work, I hunt, I fish.  That is ALL i do.  I have never lived in city limits or in a subdivision, etc. although my home is rural, its not quiet as "rural" as i wish, maybe some day.  Most people do think/say i live "way out".. and i do compared to most.. "rural" can be a relative term.  However, when I am not working, I am either hunting, or fishing.  I do NOT do drugs, never smoked pot in my life, just hit a bottle on occasion.  I don't have a camper, i don't belong to a "lease" etc.. I take a tent and I go to the woods and stay miles and miles from any modern facilities.  I get my water from the creek and i poop in the woods.  I spend literally weeks doing this throughout all seasons of the year.  Fortunately, my position allows me a good deal of vacation time to do this so i spend more time than anybody else i know actually that still works for a living.  The only people in real woods more than me i would venture to say either works for the forestry dept or is a timber cutter.  period.  thanks for asking though as if its any of your business or matters here.  I don't need to do anything to establish my credibility fwiw i'm not the one claiming the existence of black panthers in the state, i'm not the one arguing against the history of science here.  I agree with the science and the "authorities (for the most part, not entirely)" about this issue.

you're the one who's got something to prove... you're the one who's credibility or credentials would be called into question, b/c you're radical against the main stream.  If you're vast experience and "rural" lifestyle is the explanation then you would have to disclose that and then let everybody else make up their minds.  Please don't bother, though, b/c everybody here is already aware of your antics and claims and nonsense, and your tendency to portray yourself as "backwoods".. Like most others here, i think you're a guy that might live in a wooded area and smokes a lot of pot.

twistitup

January 29, 2009, 06:40:21 pm #290 Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:42:08 pm by twistitup
Quote from: spit on January 29, 2009, 08:51:52 am
I work, I hunt, I fish.  That is ALL i do.  I have never lived in city limits or in a subdivision, etc. although my home is rural, its not quiet as "rural" as i wish, maybe some day.  Most people do think/say i live "way out".. and i do compared to most.. "rural" can be a relative term.  However, when I am not working, I am either hunting, or fishing.  I do NOT do drugs, never smoked pot in my life, just hit a bottle on occasion.  I don't have a camper, i don't belong to a "lease" etc.. I take a tent and I go to the woods and stay miles and miles from any modern facilities.  I get my water from the creek and i poop in the woods.  I spend literally weeks doing this throughout all seasons of the year.  Fortunately, my position allows me a good deal of vacation time to do this so i spend more time than anybody else i know actually that still works for a living.  The only people in real woods more than me i would venture to say either works for the forestry dept or is a timber cutter.  period.  thanks for asking though as if its any of your business or matters here.  I don't need to do anything to establish my credibility fwiw i'm not the one claiming the existence of black panthers in the state, i'm not the one arguing against the history of science here.  I agree with the science and the "authorities (for the most part, not entirely)" about this issue.

you're the one who's got something to prove... you're the one who's credibility or credentials would be called into question, b/c you're radical against the main stream.  If you're vast experience and "rural" lifestyle is the explanation then you would have to disclose that and then let everybody else make up their minds.  Please don't bother, though, b/c everybody here is already aware of your antics and claims and nonsense, and your tendency to portray yourself as "backwoods".. Like most others here, i think you're a guy that might live in a wooded area and smokes a lot of pot.

I honestly think you are full of shiite....and a little off.  Obviously, you forgot one hobby...you like to type! Do you do all your typing from your tent?

HogBreath

I think it would a blast to go camping with Twist and Spit, but let's make it a fishing trip so there won't be any guns around.  ;D

Well, maybe I could carry one in case some big cat wandered too close.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

old hog

I posted this in the forum Travels and Vacations. Was told to put it up here. Up on the other side of Magazine while hiking got a picture of a large cat print, bout the size of a softball. Too large for a bobcat, I've been told by AGFC. Make your own assumptions as to origins. As the AGFC says there are no Mountain lions in Ark.
RIGHT.  They weren't there on the way thru, but found them on the way back. Kinda put a little zip in the ol step on the way back. Had the strange feeling of being watched the whole time.

HogBreath

Quote from: old hog on February 02, 2009, 06:22:47 pm
  I posted this in the forum Travels and Vacations. Was told to put it up here. Up on the other side of Magazine while hiking got a picture of a large cat print, bout the size of a softball. Too large for a bobcat, I've been told by AGFC. Make your own assumptions as to origins. As the AGFC says there are no Mountain lions in Ark.
RIGHT.  They weren't there on the way thru, but found them on the way back. Kinda put a little zip in the ol step on the way back. Had the strange feeling of being watched the whole time.
Where's the picture?

old hog

Quote from: HogBreath on February 02, 2009, 06:31:01 pm
Where's the picture?
Trying to make the damn thing fit, now. Not sure if I'm doing this properly.

hogdiggity

Quote from: old hog on February 02, 2009, 06:22:47 pm

can you post the pic?  did you put something on the ground that shows a reference for size?

I ate lunch today in a restaurant in eastern OK with a couple of forrestry buddies, in this restaurant there is a mounted mt. lion, they have some big ole paws.  I talked to the guys I was eating lunch with, they said that there are plenty of them in eastern OK, they are seen fairly regularly. 

The most interesting thing about the luch however was, I was talking to one of them about turkey hunting and he said his turkey have disappeard from his hunting spot, which is next to a WMA/refuge os some sort....He said last spring he would have sworn he saw a wolfe, said it had to weigh 80lbs...He couldn't get a shot before it ran off....anyway he was talking to another of his hunting buddies who said he saw the same thing, then went to the WMA/refuge and asked the Wildlife Officer in charge of the area if they were releasing wolves and he told him officially he could not tell him that the were but would not tell him they weren't.......

Wayne Watson

Cat track, no doubt, Old hog.  Too rounded for a canine and no claw marks.

Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Albert Einswine

Definitely a cat track, but you should have laid something of known size like a quarter inside it so that a measure of perspective could be gained from the picture.

Without a reference point it's hard to make any determination.

old hog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 02, 2009, 07:52:37 pm
Definitely a cat track, but you should have laid something of known size like a quarter inside it so that a measure of perspective could be gained from the picture.

Without a reference point it's hard to make any determination.
yea, I know. But the wife was kinda freaked out and in NO mood to stick around. We were around heavy brush at the time. And had that eerie feeling of being watched the minute we got out of the car. It was a little smaller than a softball with about 3/4 tracks in the mud. About 4 feet apart. Looks like it was running.
they had bulldozed a strip back into the woods about a 1/4 of a mile for a new trail. It is on the opposite side from the lodge.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: old hog on February 02, 2009, 08:09:16 pm
yea, I know. But the wife was kinda freaked out and in NO mood to stick around. We were around heavy brush at the time. And had that eerie feeling of being watched the minute we got out of the car. It was a little smaller than a softball with about 3/4 tracks in the mud. About 4 feet apart. Looks like it was running.
they had bulldozed a strip back into the woods about a 1/4 of a mile for a new trail. It is on the opposite side from the lodge.

You should have told the wife to get back to the car and make you a sandwich while you took a proper photo of the tracks.  8)