Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Thinking about getting into bow hunting

Started by Wildhog, November 03, 2015, 12:11:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

I've only been hunting a few times in my life, but my wife's family owns a lot of good hunting land, so I figure I might as well give it a chance.  However, I don't want to spend a lot of money until I know that I'm going to enjoy it.  Can one find a decent used bow for around $150?  I guess I should probably look for a compound?  Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PharmacistHog

I have an older bowtech.  It's a pretty small framed bow but its always shot good for me.  If you want to borrow it all you would have to do is take it in and have the draw adjusted for you and maybe have a few things put on to fix it up how you like.  You are welcome to it until you decide if you really like it, then you can buy yourself what you want. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Wildhog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 03, 2015, 12:18:44 pm
I have an older bowtech.  It's a pretty small framed bow but its always shot good for me.  If you want to borrow it all you would have to do is take it in and have the draw adjusted for you and maybe have a few things put on to fix it up how you like.  You are welcome to it until you decide if you really like it, then you can buy yourself what you want. 

Man, that'd be awesome! I might lasso you into teaching me what the hell to do, lol
1909/1964/1965/1977

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Wildhog on November 03, 2015, 12:20:01 pm
Man, that'd be awesome! I might lasso you into teaching me what the hell to do, lol

Well you are welcome to it.  The only thing that I KNOW you need is a piece of the tubing that holds the peep site open when you draw.  Other than that its rigged up fine.  You will probably have to find some arrows.  I don't know that I have any for it.  Just let me know and we can meet somewhere one day and I'll give it to you. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PharmacistHog

I'll even pay for whatever you decide you want rigged on it so you don't feel like you are paying to fix someone else's bow up. 

Wildhog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 03, 2015, 12:24:03 pm
I'll even pay for whatever you decide you want rigged on it so you don't feel like you are paying to fix someone else's bow up. 

No way, hombre.  You're kind enough to let me borrow it.  I'll pay for whatever it needs.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Wildhog on November 03, 2015, 12:20:01 pm
Just remember to hold your forearm away from the bow when drawn back.  Trust me, you will forget to do this only a couple times before it will be ingrained in you.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on November 03, 2015, 01:50:57 pm
Just remember to hold your forearm away from the bow when drawn back.  Trust me, you will forget to do this only a couple times before it will be ingrained in you.

I've got a guard I'm gonna send with the bow.  I'm nearly double jointed and my forearms kinda stick out the wrong way already so I have bruised my forearms on MANY occasions. 

hawgon

If it has wheels, it isn't a bow.  Go recurve or long bow.  I think in some instances, they are actually superior as that instinctive shooting is very fast.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: hawgon on November 03, 2015, 02:21:04 pm
If it has wheels, it isn't a bow.  Go recurve or long bow.  I think in some instances, they are actually superior as that instinctive shooting is very fast.

Thats your opinion. We may be able to welcome a new hunter into the woods. Dont be a snob. I dont care if he starts out with an M16, as long as he gets out there and gives hunting a try.

IronHog

Quote from: Wildhog on November 03, 2015, 12:11:55 pm
I've only been hunting a few times in my life, but my wife's family owns a lot of good hunting land, so I figure I might as well give it a chance.  However, I don't want to spend a lot of money until I know that I'm going to enjoy it.  Can one find a decent used bow for around $150?  I guess I should probably look for a compound?  Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

No 150$ won't work.  500$ minimum to get started

You MUST go to a good pro shop and get fitted and your gear tuned.  Look online for proper shooting technique lessons.

Shooting a bow is great, but it costs some money and it's gotta fit to work right.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hawgon

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 03, 2015, 02:59:26 pm
Thats your opinion. We may be able to welcome a new hunter into the woods. Dont be a snob. I dont care if he starts out with an M16, as long as he gets out there and gives hunting a try.

Yeah, well, it is the truth.  But, no there is nothing wrong with hunting with a wheeled contraption either. 

Wildhog

My dad wasn't a hunter, so this isn't something that I grew up with, like a lot of y'all. 

Anyway, thanks for the responses.
1909/1964/1965/1977

95_alum

Quote from: Wildhog on November 03, 2015, 12:11:55 pm
I don't want to spend a lot of money until I know that I'm going to enjoy it.  Can one find a decent used bow for around $150?  I guess I should probably look for a compound?

Ain't gonna happen. Recalibrate.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 03, 2015, 01:56:35 pm
I've got a guard I'm gonna send with the bow.  I'm nearly double jointed and my forearms kinda stick out the wrong way already so I have bruised my forearms on MANY occasions.
You never really forget the first time.  It doesn't hurt real bad, but it is enough to make you remember.

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

hawgon

For a $150 you can get a Samick recurve AND some arrows.  Samick makes some really decent recurves that will serve you well until and unless you decide you want to move up/try something different.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Wildhog on November 03, 2015, 05:32:51 pm
My dad wasn't a hunter, so this isn't something that I grew up with, like a lot of y'all. 

Anyway, thanks for the responses.
Are you in the NWA area?

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: hawgon on November 03, 2015, 09:18:46 pm
For a $150 you can get a Samick recurve AND some arrows.  Samick makes some really decent recurves that will serve you well until and unless you decide you want to move up/try something different.
I would like to try the recurve but don't want to spend the money if I'm not going to like it.  Do you think one of the indoor archery ranges would rent one out?

hawgon

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on November 03, 2015, 09:22:12 pm
I would like to try the recurve but don't want to spend the money if I'm not going to like it.  Do you think one of the indoor archery ranges would rent one out?

Go to Archer's Advantage in Little Rock.  He doesn't sell anything but traditional stuff and he'll let you shoot anything he has.  Don't worry, you'll like it.  Shooting a traditional bow is like being a little kid.  It is just fun.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: hawgon on November 03, 2015, 09:28:33 pm
Go to Archer's Advantage in Little Rock.  He doesn't sell anything but traditional stuff and he'll let you shoot anything he has.  Don't worry, you'll like it.  Shooting a traditional bow is like being a little kid.  It is just fun.
I gotta find something in NWA.

hawgon

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on November 03, 2015, 09:32:24 pm

Go to Cabela's.  They sell the Samick recurve under a store brand name.  They might have one strung up that they let you shoot in their indoor range.

Samick is good cheap stuff.  They are made in Korea and archery is the national sport there.  So, cheap just means inexpensive, not low quality.

grayhawg

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on November 03, 2015, 09:32:24 pm
Outdoor America in Springdale, they are local and have always done right by folks I know.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: grayhawg on November 03, 2015, 09:45:08 pm
Outdoor America in Springdale, they are local and have always done right by folks I know.
I've shot my bow there a few times.  Pretty good folks.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Hog_Swanson

grayhawg

Quote from: Wildhog on November 03, 2015, 09:48:42 pm
Central Ark.
You can go online and find dealers for Mathews, Hoyt. PSE or Bowtech in your area. Most pro shops have used bows and a place to shoot. A good pro's advice will make a big difference in how you and your equipment performs. I started bow hunting in the 60's and there is nothing I enjoy more.

pigture perfect

Going back to Pharm's offer to loan you a bow, he mentioned needing a new tube for the peep sight. I learned hard last year to make sure those are fresh. I had laid the compound down for about 3 years because of a shoulder issue. Had started using a crossbow. Picked up the compound to see how the old shoulder would do and the tubbing popped and hit me in the eye. Can't tell you how bad that hurt. Make sure you check for cracking in the tube.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PharmacistHog

Quote from: pigture perfect on November 03, 2015, 11:31:04 pm
Going back to Pharm's offer to loan you a bow, he mentioned needing a new tube for the peep sight. I learned hard last year to make sure those are fresh. I had laid the compound down for about 3 years because of a shoulder issue. Had started using a crossbow. Picked up the compound to see how the old shoulder would do and the tubbing popped and hit me in the eye. Can't tell you how bad that hurt. Make sure you check for cracking in the tube.

I pulled it off when I saw it was cracked. I think all wildhog is gonna need is a 2.00 piece of tube and some arrows and a quiver. Other than that my bow is rigged up. I just havent had time to practice with it so I dont dare hunt with it. I hope it fits him well. Somebody needs to use it.

Wildhog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 04, 2015, 07:22:02 am
I pulled it off when I saw it was cracked. I think all wildhog is gonna need is a 2.00 piece of tube and some arrows and a quiver. Other than that my bow is rigged up. I just havent had time to practice with it so I dont dare hunt with it. I hope it fits him well. Somebody needs to use it.

I'm sure it'll be fine to get started.  Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hawgon on November 03, 2015, 09:28:33 pm
Are you calling compound bows traditional? I'm confused because I don't consider compounds to be traditional and they have lots of compound bows for sell in there

hawgon

Quote from: theFlyingHog on November 04, 2015, 12:17:48 pm
Are you calling compound bows traditional? I'm confused because I don't consider compounds to be traditional and they have lots of compound bows for sell in there

Does he?  Last time I was there, which admittedly was three or four years ago, it was almost all traditional.  Maybe I just didn't notice any compounds.  But he is definitely mostly into traditional stuff, unless it has changed ownership.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Wildhog on November 04, 2015, 09:34:39 am
I'm sure it'll be fine to get started.  Then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about.  :)

Its shoots fast and straight. Cant ask for much more. I tried to find my quiver but have no clue where its is. Quiver and arrows and you will be fixed up. I'll keep looking but I cant imagine I'll find it before friday.

Hog_Swanson

Keep your finger off the trigger release until you are ready.  Just another safe tip.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: hawgon on November 04, 2015, 04:03:45 pm
Does he?  Last time I was there, which admittedly was three or four years ago, it was almost all traditional.  Maybe I just didn't notice any compounds.  But he is definitely mostly into traditional stuff, unless it has changed ownership.
Yeah they have a full line of the big names in compounds. Lots of traditional stuff too. They did tell me they are really picky with crossbows and won't even let you in the door with a cheap one

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: IronHog on November 03, 2015, 03:03:55 pm

No 150$ won't work.  500$ minimum to get started

You MUST go to a good pro shop and get fitted and your gear tuned.  Look online for proper shooting technique lessons.

Shooting a bow is great, but it costs some money and it's gotta fit to work right.
I find your thoughts interesting when thinking about advances in technology in different endeavors.  People have been killing things with bows and arrows for hundreds if not thousands of years.  Hand carved chunks of wood with some type of string attached.  One of the best photographers in history, Ansel Adams, used a camera that was less advanced than most of our phone cams today.  The best golfer ever (Jack Nicklaus, not Tiger Woods) used clubs that you could now buy in a garage sale.  Technological changes have certainly made things much easier and make more people successful in the endeavors, but we shouldn't believe that you can't take part in an activity if you don't spend 100's if not 1000's of dollars.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 05, 2015, 12:40:32 pm
I find your thoughts interesting when thinking about advances in technology in different endeavors.  People have been killing things with bows and arrows for hundreds if not thousands of years.  Hand carved chunks of wood with some type of string attached.  One of the best photographers in history, Ansel Adams, used a camera that was less advanced than most of our phone cams today.  The best golfer ever (Jack Nicklaus, not Tiger Woods) used clubs that you could now buy in a garage sale.  Technological changes have certainly made things much easier and make more people successful in the endeavors, but we shouldn't believe that you can't take part in an activity if you don't spend 100's if not 1000's of dollars.
Just learn with the equipment that you have.  That is all.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on November 04, 2015, 07:42:47 pm
Keep your finger off the trigger release until you are ready.  Just another safe tip.

^^^^^^This is great advice, I actually hold my finger behind the trigger while I am drawing. I only had to bust my lips with the back of my hand one time to learn that.

The last time I went out, I looked down at my release hand about 30 minutes after daylight, and realized that I had my release hooked on my loop, and was pressing my finger on the back of the trigger so long I had made a crease in it. Kind of hurt when the feeling came back.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

IronHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 05, 2015, 12:40:32 pm

Your bow MUST fit and be tuned properly to work.  It costs some money to get this done.

You can buy a used bow and sling arrows but the chance of actually hitting what you aim at is slim to none.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: IronHog on November 05, 2015, 05:38:37 pm

Your bow MUST fit and be tuned properly to work.  It costs some money to get this done.

And the only way to do this is to buy a brand new bow and spend at least 500 bucks?  Have to disagree with you.   

IronHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 05, 2015, 05:47:27 pm
And the only way to do this is to buy a brand new bow and spend at least 500 bucks?  Have to disagree with you.   

Pro shop time is expensive

Even if you buy a dirt cheap used bow for 200$ you'll probably be another 1-200$ in it before you'd be ready to hunt.

Compound bows are not rifles.  A 10 year old compound is a relic.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: IronHog on November 05, 2015, 05:38:37 pm

You can buy a used bow and sling arrows but the chance of actually hitting what you aim at is slim to none.
Not true.  I bought my first bow off of a friend of mine.  His draw length is almost 2 inches longer than mine.  I was not going to pour any money into this hobby until I knew that I would like it.  He gave me 4 of his target arrows with the deal.  With in 6 months, I could group all 4 arrows on target no farther than an inch apart.  I even Robin Hooded one of the arrows, probably luck, but I am owning it as skill.  I have since bought a Bear bow.  I have had that one tuned to my size and draw length.  It is much easier to group the arrows.  Everyone should get their bow tuned to their own body (draw length, pounds per pull, arrow length), but you can still learn with your buddies bow.  Hell, I even had to move my peep higher on the string. 

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: IronHog on November 05, 2015, 07:01:21 pm

Pro shop time is expensive

Even if you buy a dirt cheap used bow for 200$ you'll probably be another 1-200$ in it before you'd be ready to hunt.

Compound bows are not rifles.  A 10 year old compound is a relic.
Also not true.  I sold my first bow to my brother.  He has never tuned it, and I can still group the arrows with it.  By the way, he is a better shot than me.  I swear I am not lying.  You just have to learn to use what you have.  It is not uncommon for us to shoot a yellow jacket target at 70 yards and group the arrows with in 8 inches of the center.  I would never take that shot in the woods though.

Edit: I am talking about USED bows.  The only new bows I have seen purchased, the bow was tuned before my buddies walked out the front door with them.

pigture perfect

I hunted with bows now over 25 years. Practice is what makes you accurate along with straight arrows, more so than fit and tuning.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PharmacistHog

Well, I'll be delivering a bow to wildhog tomorrow to borrow. Its apparently a relic though, so I guess we'll find out how it works out.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: PharmacistHog on November 05, 2015, 08:02:15 pm
Well, I'll be delivering a bow to wildhog tomorrow to borrow. Its apparently a relic though, so I guess we'll find out how it works out.
Does wild have a shooting buddy?  That made all the difference with me.  Having someone that knows the sport is always a plus.

hawgon

Haven't you heard?  Deer are tougher now.  Arrows from old bows and bullets from rifles that are not at least a 7 mag., just bounce off of them.  The woods are dangerous boys. 

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2015, 08:11:05 pm
Haven't you heard?  Deer are tougher now.  Arrows from old bows and bullets from rifles that are not at least a 7 mag., just bounce off of them.  The woods are dangerous boys.
My co-worker warned me that her deer shoot back.  I tease her about her "Deer Problem" all the time, but I don't think she is lying about the deer shooting back.

IronHog

Quote from: hawgon on November 05, 2015, 08:11:05 pm

When the string blows up or limb grenades it's gonna matter.

IronHog

It's nearly impossible to shoot a poorly fitted compound accurately.  Anchor point must be consistent.....

tophawg19

ironhog . i to disagree . i bought my last bow , a matthews solo cam at a pawn shop for 150 .00. It hadn't been used a lot . added about 80.00 worth of sights , stabilizer and rest and won or placed in a bunch of 3d tournaments . I'm self taught . it was from hours of shooting at different distant and condition that helped me. Also bought some old 3d targets from a club at the end of season. Most shops will help set up a bow to fit for a small charge . Faster isn't always better either . the faster the bow the more important it is to have it right . i like small vanes (3 or 2 3/4) but i use mechanical broadheads . fixed blades can plane at high speed so you have to have it right. Also you don't need 70 lb pull . your much better with a 55 lb and matching gold tip arrows or any brand of carbon fiber . used stuff works fine . you need to check limbs for cracks and the string for signs of wear. often after season you can pick fairly new stuff cheap . look at swap shop sites in your area . big name bows aren't needed for hunting . it doesn't require 1000.00 to get it done . A lot of guys are constantly trying to keep up with everything new so it's easy to pick up good deals . haven't checked in a while but the PSE nova package was pretty reasonable . most companies offer packages of some kind . And these are very good hunting packages .

ournament quality
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins