Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AR15 Question

Started by FORTVEGAS, May 22, 2015, 02:13:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FORTVEGAS

I was doing some gun trading with a buddy and i ended up with an AR15 as a throw in gun to make the deal happen. What i know about an AR couldnt fill a .223 shell so i will run down the components that make up this gun. If i dont get the jargon right i blame this on my ignorance.

Palmetto State Armory PA15 lower
BCM upper with a 20in match barrel 1/7twist
Daniel Defense Lite Rail 12.0

I have a couple of questions.
Is this a lower end build or does it have quality parts?
Value range?
Would this be a long distance AR or more of a carbine?
what is something you would add to complete this gun?   

95_alum

Welcome proud AR owner. I haven't heard negative reviews regarding Palmetto State Armory. Very good reviews with BCM & DD.
Stock trigger? If so, I recommend a 3-lb. drop-in Timney. (What' does it look like on paper at 100 yds?)
I can't tell you what you'll need to complete your new AR. There are waaaaaaay too many options out there. What applications do you envision to use it for?

TuffTusk

With a 20" match barrel you should have more accuracy at longer distances.  With a 1/7 twist, your barrel can handle heavier grain bullets.  Typical .223/5.56 rounds use 55grain.  Yours will stabilize 75 grain easily.  Nice "throw in" on that trade.
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

FORTVEGAS

Quote from: 95_alum on May 22, 2015, 02:55:35 pm
Welcome proud AR owner. I haven't heard negative reviews regarding Palmetto State Armory. Very good reviews with BCM & DD.
Stock trigger? If so, I recommend a 3-lb. drop-in Timney. (What' does it look like on paper at 100 yds?)
I can't tell you what you'll need to complete your new AR. There are waaaaaaay too many options out there. What applications do you envision to use it for?
I have been looking at triggers, as for the use, is this set up more of a distance tak driver or a tactical plinker? If its the latter then i will take the scope off and put a rear sight on and a good red dot optics.

TuffTusk

My opinion, 16" barrel...put a red dot on it...20" barrel, use good glass and reach out there
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

rickm1976

PSA sells good quality lowers.  I've never heard anything bad about them.  As others have said, the 20" match barrel should theoretically be good for longer ranges, and I've never heard anything bad about BCM either.  A trigger upgrade should help a lot.  I built my first AR using a standard mil-spec trigger, and quickly changed that out for a Rock River National Match 2 stage - big improvement for just over $100.  Timney is excellent, but they will cost twice that much.  My philosophy is the same as TuffTusk regarding barrel length.  Anyway, congrats - AR's aren't the evil "black rifles" that the uninformed make them out to be.  I use mine for plinking and coyote hunting.  It's a lot of fun to shoot, and with the right bullets, can be used as a low recoil deer rifle in a pinch or for a youth or small frame woman.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: TuffTusk on May 22, 2015, 04:32:18 pm
My opinion, 16" barrel...put a red dot on it...20" barrel, use good glass and reach out there
Yep, the 20" barrel takes "plinker" and "red dot" out of the equation.  This rifle is made for longer shots.  Put a quality scope on this bad boy if it doesn't have one already and let the big dog eat.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

FORTVEGAS

Thanks for all the help, I just need to wait for it to quit raining so I can see what type of group it shoots.