Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Harbaugh attempts his own March thru the Southeast

Started by jbcarol, January 11, 2016, 09:38:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

John Talty ‏@JTalty 50m50 minutes ago

Nick Saban doesn't see any value in Alabama doing satellite camps: http://ow.ly/10oKh6

QuoteBama head coach offered a sharp rebuke to the idea of participating in any satellite camps going forward if a national ban doesn't pass this week in Indianapolis. Multiple SEC coaches, including former protégé Kirby Smart, have indicated they'll be ready to participate, but Saban doesn't think there's a strong return on investment for his program.

"I'm really not even thinking that it has that much value," Saban said. "What would be a more interesting question for you to research -- and I can't answer this -- the teams that have done them, what value does it serve? How many players did they get? They had some players commit to them and some of those players decommitted, and I know they even wanted to drop some of those players when they found out they could get better players."

Michigan has made the most news with its satellite camps, but multiple premier programs including Ohio State and Penn State have participated in satellite camps across the country. Michigan hosted a satellite camp in Alabama at Prattville High School last summer and signed running back Kingston Davis. The Wolverines will return to Alabama this June in addition to stops at multiple other states that feature SEC schools.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Brian Bennett ‏@BennettESPN 24m24 minutes ago

ESPN's FPI gives Michigan a 29.3 pct chance to win the Big Ten. Ohio State is 2nd at 22.6, then Nebraska 18.8, Wisconsin 10.3 and Iowa 6.4.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 01, 2016, 03:07:44 pm
AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 40m40 minutes ago

Jim Harbaugh scheduled a second Alabama satellite camp for this summer: http://ow.ly/10byE7

https://twitter.com/prattvillelions/status/715727139908165632

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 15m15 minutes ago

The NCAA shuts down satellite camps, effective immediately. Chalk up another SEC win

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 1m1 minute ago

Source told @ESPN conferences that voted against satellite camps: ACC, Big 12, SEC, Pac-12, MWC, Sun Belt. In favor: B1G, AAC, C-USA, MAC

jbcarol

Ted Miller Verified account
‏@TedMillerRK

David Shaw says no reason for satellite camps "where there might be one person in the entire state that's eligible to get into Stanford."

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: jbcarol on April 10, 2016, 10:27:10 pm
Ted Miller Verified account
‏@TedMillerRK

David Shaw says no reason for satellite camps "where there might be one person in the entire state that's eligible to get into Stanford."
BURRRRRRRRRRRRN

PP

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP Apr 9

Butch Jones said he was a proponent of the NCAA ending satellite camps, but that Tennessee had locations lined up if they weren't.

Butch added that he believes it's best to get players on campus than to take camps elsewhere.

jbcarol

Daniel Paulling ‏@DanielPaulling 20h20 hours ago

Hugh Freeze shared his thoughts on satellite camps: http://on.thec-l.com/22kSTzD

Freeze had plans to do camps in Dallas, Houston and Atlanta.

Quote"I understand there's one side of the fence that says, 'Well, it could cost kids opportunities,'" Freeze said. "There's the other side of the fence that it could've been a total circus that would put so much pressure on these kids because you might have 50 camps in Atlanta or Dallas."

Satellite camps rose in prominence in recent years after several programs, including Michigan and Penn State, began conducting them outside of their geographic footprint. Schools from certain Power 5 conferences had been allowed to conduct camps solely in their state unless their coaches served as "guest instructors" at a satellite camp set up by another school.

The Atlantic Coast Conference and Southeastern Conference banned their coaches from working at such camps outside  a 50-mile radius from their campus.

Athletes will now have to travel to the campus of each school they're interested in to work with coaches in camps, which can be a costly process. Freeze believes actually seeing the campus is an important part of the recruiting process, however.

But Freeze being willing to coach at camps in Georgia and Texas shows how much impact they can have in recruiting. He's happy, however, to have a chance to spend more time at home.

"I'm selfish with my time," he said...

jbcarol

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner Apr 9

Dan Mullen agrees with the NCAA.  Banning satellite camps, "  it's what's best for business college football" http://on.thec-l.com/1S3515B

QuoteNCAA's decision on Friday to outlaw universities holding camps away from campus sided with Mississippi State's head coach. The decision marked an off-field win for the Southeastern Conference and the Atlantic Coast Conference, which campaigned against the camps.

"I think everybody in the SEC as a league we thought we were against that," Mullen said. "I think it opens a pandora's box out there."

Mullen first pointed to the members of Mississippi State's compliance office that attended Saturday's scrimmage and each practice.

They also attended MSU's on-campus camps.

"Are they flying their whole compliance office to these camps, making sure things are done right?" Mullen said. " All that. Our compliance guys are at practice here. And budgetarily, (the NCAA's decision) made sense to me."

Fundamentally, as a recruiter, Mullen disagreed with traveling to host camps.

"I want guys coming to our campus for camps," Mullen said. "Young men come and get the experience of being on a college campus, seeing what the experience is, seeing what it's all about here at a place like Mississippi State."

Of course, holding a Mississippi State camp in Florida, for example, wouldn't prevent potential recruits from then taking an official visit to Starkville. But outlawing satellite camps ensures more time for coaches in their home states.

Miami coach Mark Richt said last year while coaching Georgia, the camps would wear SEC coaches too thin. Mullen expressed a similar sentiment on Saturday.

"We're trying to help develop and teach young people and help them grow," Mullen said. "And then they look to their mentor and coach and say, 'Have you ever seen your family?' and we say, 'No, I've never seen my family.' I don't know what type of example some of that sets."

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL Apr 8

Even in Harbaugh's America, the SEC always gets what it wants. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2016/04/08/ncaa-puts-end-satellite-camps/82794868/ ...

QuoteAuburn's Gus Malzahn, who had backed the SEC proposal, said he believed the rules should be "equal and unified" across college football. He said in addition to instruction and recruiting, part of the value of summer camps was that players spend time on a school's campus.

"There's a great value to players coming to your campus," Malzahn said. "They see more of the real picture."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/719622601253994496

QuoteGreg Sankey is chalking up the elimination of satellite camps as a win for equality in recruiting, and not the result of an SEC power move on the national landscape.

NCAA decided Friday to ban satellite camps, ending a two-year discussion that sent SEC coaches in a tizzy as Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh and other Big Ten coaches visited and hosted camps at high schools in their states.

Sankey, who has vehemently fought against the camps, called them "recruiting tour events" that go against the regular recruiting calendar during a question-and-answer session with reporters...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/719921680160833536

Quote...do you think Harbaugh truly believed satellite camps would be permissible for multiple years, after calling so much attention to it (thus angering the masses in the South)?

Do you think he's even disappointed with the ruling, knowing that other Big Ten head coaches (Urban Meyer, Mark Dantonio, James Franklin, etc.) missed their window to organize copycat camps?

In boxing terms, Harbaugh comports himself with a stick-and-move flair. In terms of promoting the 'Michigan' brand and stretching the interpretative boundaries of the NCAA rule book, he has likely been plotting his next three or four moves (beyond satellite camps and recruiting 'sleepovers') for some time.

As such, there are still numerous ways for the Michigan family to rankle SEC coaches, in the months leading up to National Signing Day 2017. Clever stunts like:

One was essentially to encourage Michigan students to take over the Catfish Hole #3.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/720020069007364100

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 5h5 hours ago

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Paul Finebaum

I think Harbaugh is sort of a genius, but at some point, just shut up already. This overkill unknown to mankind.

jbcarol

Stanford coach David Shaw attempts to clarify harsh comments toward the South

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/719626621473460225

QuoteHere's what Shaw said on Finebaum's show a day later:

"The conversation wasn't about holding satellite camps in SEC country," Shaw said. "That's not what we were talking about. That was not the context of the conversation. It would be ridiculous to insinuate that that was the conversation, considering especially that my mother is from Alabama, my dad is from Louisiana.

"I'm not going to take shots at the south, that's ridiculous. You've heard me say repeatedly how much respect I have for the SEC and what they've accomplished and the coaches in the SEC."

Shaw continued: "What I was referring to, honestly, was the expense and the effort that it takes to have a satellite camp to where our admissions process for student-athletes is very, very difficult now. What I could have said, if you look at it, is that we're talking about football players, where one football player in a particular state. That's where I could've used different words."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DanielPaulling/status/720278835476869121

QuoteFreeze said last Saturday he was glad to have a chance to stay home while conducting camps at Ole Miss after having plans to work ones in Atlanta, Dallas and Houston. The NCAA's Division I Council voted last Friday to ban those camps.

Harbaugh criticized Freeze's stance, telling Sports Illustrated that Freeze needed to work harder and said Freeze's thought process meant he's "not a kindred spirit."

"I probably should've said that a little different, but I'll never apologize for wanting to be a father and a husband," Freeze said on Mike and Mike, according to MLive. "I miss enough volleyball games (and other things); that is a priority for me.

"I think we work very hard. I don't think working hard is an issue. If you're asking me if I want to add more nights away from my wife and kids, I do not. That window is closing for me to be a husband and a father, and I think the kids that play in our system need to see me in that role an awful lot."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/722995537520254976

QuoteGreg Sankey objected Wednesday to the widely-considered notion that his league spearheaded the ban on satellite camps in the wake of coaches like Michigan's Jim Harbaugh infiltrating SEC country.

"That's a red herring," Sankey said at the annual College Football Playoff meetings.

NCAA Division I Council voted on April 8 to pass a measure prohibiting teams from holding camps outside their own facilities. Michigan's home, the Big Ten, was the lone power-five conference to vote in favor of keeping satellite camps.

Sankey told the media that the need to get rid of satellite camps isn't a knee-jerk reaction to recent events.

"We've been clear for a year that this needed to change," Sankey told Mandel.

The main reason for the ban, according to Sankey, is the need to prevent football recruiting from "(going) the way of basketball recruiting, where summer camps take on more importance than the scholastic environment."

jbcarol

The plot (sic)kens:

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 8m8 minutes ago

Story from last night: The Pac-12's rep "didn't vote the way he was supposed to" on NCAA satellite camp ban.

Larry Scott confirmed that 11 of the 12 Pac-12 schools did not support a satellite camp ban. Would not say the 12th, but, now you can guess [UCLA].

Satellite camp soap opera: Pac-12's Scott says league rep mistakenly voted for ban. SEC's Sankey defends it.

It was the ACC's version that passed. The SEC's allowed camps within one's state & 50-mile radius if on border.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/satellite-camp-debate-appears-to-be-far-from-over-larry-scott-greg-sankey-dan-guerreo-042016

Andy Staples Verified account
‏@Andy_Staples

This is the e-mail Guerrero sent to his fellow ADs on April 13.

jbcarol

Kevin Scarbinsky ‏@KevinScarbinsky 9h9 hours ago

A lesson for SEC wannabes: Solidarity = prosperity | http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/04/a_lesson_for_sec_wannabes_soli.html

QuoteScarblog: Imagine Mitch Barnhart going rogue, and Greg Sankey going public.

Imagine the Kentucky athletics director voting for the SEC on a football-related piece of NCAA legislation and voting against the wishes of every other school in the league, followed by the SEC commissioner voicing his displeasure afterward.

Sankey's no fan of hypotheticals, but if know anything about the Southeastern Conference, you know that scenario is hard to imagine, for one reason.

For the most part, the postmodern SEC keeps its infighting where it belongs. Inside its own expensive, sprawling house.

This isn't the Pac-12, you know...

jbcarol

Herb Hand has been on both sides of the satellite camp issue that has swept college football over the last two years.

QuoteAuburn offensive line coach participated in the off-campus coaching clinics with prospective players during his time under James Franklin at Penn State. He now works with close friend Gus Malzahn at Auburn, which has been vehemently against Big Ten schools and others jumping into their territory and conducting recruiting tours on high school and college campuses.

News broke Monday that the United States Department of Justice has launched an informal inquiry into the topic and whether it is limiting opportunities for youth players to have access to college football coaches.

"Well, I guess my first initial thought is that, I would think the Department of Justice would have some more pressing issues," Hand told SEC Country. "But I understand both sides of the equation on the satellite camp issue because we were at Penn State. We were involved in doing the satellite camps and I saw the plus side of it and I saw the downside of it in terms of there's a lot of time you're away from campus."

jbcarol

United States Department of Justice has begun an informal inquiry into the topic of satellite camps by calling college football coaches, conference commissioners and college administrators

QuoteDOJ's interest, according to one of the people who spoke to USA TODAY Sports, is based on whether an NCAA ban of satellite camps — a term used to describe off-campus coaching clinics attended by prospective student-athletes — could jeopardize or lessen opportunities for youth players to be seen or have access to college football coaches.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy Verified account
‏@McMurphyESPN

NCAA Board of Directors rescinds ban on satellite camps, source tells @ESPN

NCAA lifts ban on satellite camps, refers issue & effects on recruiting calendar back to DI Council for further study, review & action

NCAA lifts ban on satellite camps, refers issue & effects on recruiting calendar back to DI Council for further study, review & action

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik 48m48 minutes ago

Here's the full release from the NCAA about the decision to rescind the satellite camp ban. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/board-rescinds-camps-and-clinics-rule-directs-council-review-football-recruiting-model ...

Division I Board of Directors today rescinded a rule prohibiting Football Bowl Subdivision coaches from holding or working at camps and clinics away from their school, adopted earlier this month by the Division I Council.

The board members also directed the Council to conduct a broad assessment of the FBS recruiting environment.

The camps and clinics rule received widespread attention after its adoption, with supporters contending the rule would keep coaches on campus with current student-athletes and steer recruiting toward the scholastic environment. Detractors believe the camps provide opportunities for previously un-recruited student-athletes to be noticed by high-profile coaches and possibly receive scholarships.

The Board's action means the camps and clinics rule currently legislated is in effect and football coaches may be employed at any camp that follows Division I camps and clinics rules.

"The Board of Directors is interested in a holistic review of the football recruiting environment, and camps are a piece of that puzzle," said Board of Directors chair Harris Pastides, president of the University of South Carolina. "We share the Council's interest in improving the camp environment, and we support the Council's efforts to create a model that emphasizes the scholastic environment as an appropriate place for recruiting future student-athletes."

The board asked the Council to consider the entire recruiting model, including potential modifications to camps and clinics participation.

Council chair Jim Phillips, a board member and athletics director at Northwestern University, said the Board's decision will give the Council an opportunity to review the recruiting environment in a more thorough way.

"It's clear that the membership has differing views on this subject, and the Council appreciates the Board's insights into this important issue," Phillips said. "This review will provide an opportunity to identify the most effective ways prospective student-athletes can have their academic and athletic credentials evaluated by schools across the country."

The new camps and clinics rule was adopted earlier this month by the members of the Division I Council who represent FBS conferences. With weighted voting (two votes each for the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern conferences and one vote for Conference-USA, the  American Athletic, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt conferences), the final tally was 10-5.

Historically, coaches used camps and clinics primarily to provide skill instruction to young people and generate revenue. Actual recruiting activities are prohibited at camps and clinics, and the events have not been subject to recruiting calendars. Over time, camps and clinics have increasingly been viewed as a recruiting tool.

Another factor that changed the way coaches use camps and clinics was a 2008 rule change prohibiting FBS coaches from evaluating prospective student-athletes during "live" nonscholastic football activities. Many think the rule was intended to reduce third-party influence in recruiting, but others believe it increased the pressure on coaches to use camps as a place to find future talent. Some coaches broaden their recruiting reach by working at camps held by other schools, including Football Championship Subdivision schools.

The board wants initial recommendations for improving the football recruiting environment from the Council by Sept. 1, the deadline for legislative concepts to be submitted for the 2016-17 cycle.

jbcarol

Cecil Hurt ‏@CecilHurt  6h6 hours ago
Satellite Camp Statement from SEC commissioner Greg Sankey:

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 14h14 hours ago

Pac-12 coach on future of satellite camps: "Michigan will have Ferris wheels & Hooters girls checking in players"

jbcarol

Gabe DeArmond ‏@GabeDeArmond 17h17 hours ago

Sources tell me #Mizzou and #NCState will team up for a camp in the Atlanta area some time in early June. Tigers hitting the satellite tour.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 26m26 minutes ago

Mark Stoops announces he will do Satellite Camps in Florida, Ohio and possibly Georgia: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/football-2/stoops-and-uk-to-hold-satellite-camps-in-florida-and-ohio-possibly-georgia/ ...

QuoteStoops announced Kentucky will join in on one of the hottest trends in college football recruiting: satellite camps. Stoops confirmed UK will hold several camps in the state of Florida, a couple in Ohio, and possibly in Georgia.

"We will take part, but we won't overdo it," Stoops told reporters listening in on the call. "We still want players to get on campus."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/728277605288443904

QuoteEXTREMELY BENEFICIAL
STATES: Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri

CAUSE FOR CELEBRATION...

jbcarol

Hog Call

Announced today Michigan has 37 camps scheduled for June. They are going to Australia, American Samoa, and Hawaii. Kicking camp in Australia. Amazing. 

ricepig

Good for them, looks like a lot a frequent flyer miles, about all.

navyhog24

You definitely can't say that Harbaugh isn't leaving any stone unturned.

The Big O Oliver Squeeler

3kgthog

Looks like lots of free "vacation" trips for the staff.

B501

dhizzle

I would bet some of his staff doesn't like it. Maybe they can bring their wives and children with them.

Seebs

Give it five years and here is what recruits will be saying, if not by next year:

" Arkansas disrespected me because they did not have  a satellite camp near me. Tennessee had a camp 20 minutes from me so they showed me the love.'   

This is going to be a Roman Orgy of NCAA violations with schools with little budget being the pivot men  I fear.  SEC teams will be Caligula. 
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hobhog

I want to thank them for getting these camps off the ground. Hog football will benefit greatly. Maybe more than any other team in conference IMO.

ricepig

Quote from: hobhog on May 12, 2016, 04:19:04 pm
I want to thank them for getting these camps off the ground. Hog football will benefit greatly. Maybe more than any other team in conference IMO.

Mizzou is in the same boat.

hobhog

Quote from: ricepig on May 12, 2016, 04:20:36 pm
Mizzou is in the same boat.

Agree, but they don't have Jerryworld at their disposal.....

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Hog Call on May 12, 2016, 01:53:36 pm
Announced today Michigan has 37 camps scheduled for June. They are going to Australia, American Samoa, and Hawaii. Kicking camp in Australia. Amazing.

Since only 25 to a signing class, kids in most camps will get some instruction but not a scholarship.

ricepig

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on May 12, 2016, 04:24:49 pm
Since only 25 to a signing class, kids in most camps will get some instruction but not a scholarship.

It's a dog and pony show, Saban and Dabo are correct, you need/want to get the recruits on campus. We'll benefit by seeing some younger age group kids to get our eyes on, and our brand in front of. I'd be surprised if we gain 2 signees per class, but we need them.

TDHawgs

Going all over the world and Hugh Freeze ain't even sweating. He know$ how to recruit without mi$$ing quality time with hi$ family.