Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi Jump Ball Board. Anyone else worried?

Started by Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson, December 19, 2007, 10:12:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Guys I am behind the team, program, and new coach 100%.   That being said I was probably one of the few that would like to have seen coach Heath get one more year.

I think Coach Pel. Was a good hire.  He seems to have great enthusiasm and do be doing a good job of recruiting.  But why oh why do we continue making the same stupid mistakes and turnovers over and over again.  I mean put Gary Ervin on the freaking bench.  For every great play he makes he turns around and follows it up with three or four that are equally pitiful.

Coach Pel.  Cut your losses with this guy.  If they do stupid things bench them.  I thought we had more talent across the board than OU.  The announcers were correct when they said every time we got the ball down low good things happened.  Problem is we turned it over wayyyyyy too much before ever kicking it down there.

As for this pressing style of defense.  I don't care what they do.  It does seem to me however that our personnel doesn't fit that particular style of play right now.  It may in the future with incoming players.   I guess it all just really looks like more of the same for me.
Let's make some waves.

zebra

It will be very similar, because it is the exact same players as last year.

Oh I understand that the players are the same, but shouldn't the coaching make a difference if it really was an upgrade.  How hard is it to put someone on the bench.  Heck give it to any ball handling guard and tell him to walk it up the freaking court and not turn it over because you are trying to pull off some miracle playground type stunt.

Let's make some waves.

Modsquad24

not really worried this team is gonna do about what I expected, I figured they'd win about 20-22 games overall, go about 9-7 or 10-6 in the sec and be about a 6-7 seed come March and thats about where I think we end up at seasons end.  I'm really looking forward to the future of Arkansas basketball with a top notch class coming in next year, featuring really good guard play and a scoring boost, things are gonna be just fine under coach Pel we just gotta enjoy the process of the rise back to the top. GHG!

cthog99

i didn't get to watch many games last year, just the ones on espn. the main difference is this year in the 2 games we have lost, we have committed 32 turnovers against PC and 20 something against OU, but we were still in both games and had a good chance winning them. also we beat Mizzou with over 20 turnovers. last year when we committed all of these, we got killed like in last years missouri game

booogaga

we just need to calm down. our kids are learning a new offense that requires a lot of discipline. even in the two losses we have shown more energy, enthusiasm, and team play than i have seen in the past 6 or 7 years. we are only going to get better from here. lets just give them some time.
GO HOGS!

swinesation

Quote from: hogfanintx on December 19, 2007, 10:12:35 am
Guys I am behind the team, program, and new coach 100%.   That being said I was probably one of the few that would like to have seen coach Heath get one more year.

I think Coach Pel. Was a good hire.  He seems to have great enthusiasm and do be doing a good job of recruiting.  But why oh why do we continue making the same stupid mistakes and turnovers over and over again.  I mean put Gary Ervin on the freaking bench.  For every great play he makes he turns around and follows it up with three or four that are equally pitiful.

Coach Pel.  Cut your losses with this guy.  If they do stupid things bench them.  I thought we had more talent across the board than OU.  The announcers were correct when they said every time we got the ball down low good things happened.  Problem is we turned it over wayyyyyy too much before ever kicking it down there.

As for this pressing style of defense.  I don't care what they do.  It does seem to me however that our personnel doesn't fit that particular style of play right now.  It may in the future with incoming players.   I guess it all just really looks like more of the same for me.

I'm not a big Gary Ervin fan, but all the guards are equally guilty of turning the ball over. Their stats are almost identical. The big men are worse than the guards! Here are the total number of TO's per player:
Weems - 32
Thomas - 27
Beverley - 25
Ervin - 23
Welsh - 23
Townes - 15
Washington - 14
Hill - 13

Before you go screaming A/TO ratio, all of the guards are almost identical in this dept.

I also have a problem with Ervin, mainly because he tends to drive underneath the basket a few times every game, jumping in the air without a clue what will happen next. But overall, his TO's are no worse than anybody else's.

Quote from: swinesation on December 19, 2007, 10:57:03 am
I'm not a big Gary Ervin fan, but all the guards are equally guilty of turning the ball over. Their stats are almost identical. The big men are worse than the guards! Here are the total number of TO's per player:
Weems - 32
Thomas - 27
Beverley - 25
Ervin - 23
Welsh - 23
Townes - 15
Washington - 14
Hill - 13

Before you go screaming A/TO ratio, all of the guards are almost identical in this dept.

I also have a problem with Ervin, mainly because he tends to drive underneath the basket a few times every game, jumping in the air without a clue what will happen next. But overall, his TO's are no worse than anybody else's.

Point taken.  My problem with Ervins turnovers is the timing.  Usually in critical situations just as the hogs appear to be making a run.
Let's make some waves.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: cthog99 on December 19, 2007, 10:35:51 am
i didn't get to watch many games last year, just the ones on espn. the main difference is this year in the 2 games we have lost, we have committed 32 turnovers against PC and 20 something against OU, but we were still in both games and had a good chance winning them. also we beat Mizzou with over 20 turnovers. last year when we committed all of these, we got killed like in last years missouri game

We had 10 TO in the game against OU... I would say that is a vast improvement over other games this yeear.  Lets just face it OU was shooting LIGHTS OUT, we shot poorly.  We even had hands in their face most of the time, they were on fire, we were soaking wet.  That does happen sometimes in baskettball.  I am still totally confident in this team and their ability, and now confident in the coaching staff to be able to lead them deep into post season play.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: hogfanintx on December 19, 2007, 11:09:08 am

Point taken.  My problem with Ervins turnovers is the timing.  Usually in critical situations just as the hogs appear to be making a run.

Agreed, having a PG drive to the middle of a zone D and then jump and have no idea what he is going to do with the ball is unacceptable.

hillhog

I think GE's main problem is he likes the "star of the game" monicker, so that dictates how he plays.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: hillhog on December 19, 2007, 11:23:44 am
I think GE's main problem is he likes the "star of the game" monicker, so that dictates how he plays.
I have noticed that as well, problem is he is not talented enough to be a star.

Modsquad24

think people are gonna see a HUGE change in the next couple years with Alabama MR basketball Courtney Fortson running the point and that is something im really looking forward to. GHG!

TRUHOG718

After watching Houston last night I was jelous of them and how the brought it for fourty minutes of in your face ball and rarely turned the ball over.  At least thats what I have to look forward to in the coming years. WPS
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

slopinhogs

hard to trsain an old dog new tricks .doesn't matter who is trying to train him ,and how hard he works at it.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

spudhog

"you can't fix stupid". it's unfortunate, our bball just isn't very smart on the court. no, they aren't stupid but the slogan provides the foundation to my claim. this team has some very good tools but being intelligent on the court is not one of them. we will have spurts of this affecting our play all year. give pel some time to bring in some headier players. this team is not done but it does have it's limitations.