Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Team Analysis

Started by Hoggy1, December 17, 2007, 08:57:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggy1

1) P. Beverley- workhorse, never quits, can score at any time.  I would take a starting lineup with his heart any day.
2) D. Townes- seems to be benefiting the most from Pels system.  The ideal big guy for a running system, I'm glad Darian is finally living up to potential.
3) C. Thomas- beast down low, but sometimes i find myself asking the question "why is he dribbling up court?"
4) S. Hill- 7 ft defensive monster.  great hustle for a guy of that stature, but needs to be more aggressive instead of throwing up a jump hook from 2 feet away.
5) M. Washington- IMO this kid is going to be a flat out ball player, 6'10 but can step out and knock down a few threes.  He was about the only one against Oklahoma.
6) Gary Ervin- AKA dribble and drive, enough said.
7) S. Welsh- IMO the best ball handler we have.  Is able to penetrate, but has the court IQ to know when to kick it out or take it himself.
8 ) S. Weems- his court IQ is about as high as a deflated balloon. Jacks up contested shots and hands the other team the ball at times.
9) M. Britt- i can see some upside if he gets some arc on his shot, may be another Eric Ferguson  :-\
10) N. Rakestraw- needs more PT, not saying he should start....but is probably the second best 3pt shooter on the team, behind Beverley.
11) V. Hunter- why?
12) Patsa- good passer, needs more exp.
13) M. Sanchez- should be another version of C. Thomas, with hopefully a bit more consistency

Whole team- needs to work on FT and closing out a game.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

hawgsav1

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on December 17, 2007, 08:57:21 pm
1) P. Beverley- workhorse, never quits, can score at any time.  I would take a starting lineup with his heart any day.
2) D. Townes- seems to be benefiting the most from Pels system.  The ideal big guy for a running system, I'm glad Darian is finally living up to potential.
3) C. Thomas- beast down low, but sometimes i find myself asking the question "why is he dribbling up court?"
4) S. Hill- 7 ft defensive monster.  great hustle for a guy of that stature, but needs to be more aggressive instead of throwing up a jump hook from 2 feet away.
5) M. Washington- IMO this kid is going to be a flat out ball player, 6'10 but can step out and knock down a few threes.  He was about the only one against Oklahoma.
6) Gary Ervin- AKA dribble and drive, enough said.
7) S. Welsh- IMO the best ball handler we have.  Is able to penetrate, but has the court IQ to know when to kick it out or take it himself.
8 ) S. Weems- his court IQ is about as high as a deflated balloon. Jacks up contested shots and hands the other team the ball at times.
9) M. Britt- i can see some upside if he gets some arc on his shot, may be another Eric Ferguson  :-\
10) N. Rakestraw- needs more PT, not saying he should start....but is probably the second best 3pt shooter on the team, behind Beverley.
11) V. Hunter- why?
12) Patsa- good passer, needs more exp.
13) M. Sanchez- should be another version of C. Thomas, with hopefully a bit more consistency

Whole team- needs to work on FT and closing out a game.

Good analysis.  I seriously thought that Weems would benefit the most from running and gunning, since he has that athletic wingman style of play, so I expected him to get a lot of dunks and uncontested layups.  However, for that to happen, the guard play has to be pretty decent, which it hasn't really been so far...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Hoggy1

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 17, 2007, 10:44:25 pm
Good analysis.  I seriously thought that Weems would benefit the most from running and gunning, since he has that athletic wingman style of play, so I expected him to get a lot of dunks and uncontested layups.  However, for that to happen, the guard play has to be pretty decent, which it hasn't really been so far...

IMO Welsh should be starting PG.  To me he just has a better shot and court IQ than Ervin.

Kevin

welsh is not a point.  he is a stop gap option until next year.  he will be really good when he is able to go back to his natural position.

this teams biggest question besides skill is for a bunch of seniors they sure do so puzzling stuff.

not taking care of academic
late for the team bus.

their heads are their biggest problem
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on December 18, 2007, 09:35:39 am
IMO Welsh should be starting PG.  To me he just has a better shot and court IQ than Ervin.

Welsh has started at the point the last 3-4 games... Ervin has been coming off the bench.

Hoggy1

Quote from: razrhog05 on December 18, 2007, 11:40:46 am
Welsh has started at the point the last 3-4 games... Ervin has been coming off the bench.

You're right, i guess what i should have said was Welsh needs more of Ervins' minutes.  Although i understand the substitutions that have to be made in this system

PeytonManningSUCKS

December 18, 2007, 02:58:58 pm #6 Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 03:01:16 pm by RanSolo
Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on December 18, 2007, 09:35:39 am
You guys are way to hard on Ervin, he does dribble in sometimes and not have anything to do with the ball, but he's in my opinion better than Welsh and our best option at point.
         PPG     FG%    3%    TO  Min/G
Ervin  10.4     .507    .389   2.3  27.2 http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15508
Welsh  6.2     .382   .297    2.3  21.2   http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=32033

Notice the TO margin is the same even with more minutes.

Hoggy1

Quote from: RanSolo on December 18, 2007, 02:58:58 pm
You guys are way to hard on Ervin, he does dribble in sometimes and not have anything to do with the ball, but he's in my opinion better than Welsh and our best option at point.
         PPG     FG%    3%    TO  Min/G
Ervin  10.4     .507    .389   2.3  27.2 http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15508
Welsh  6.2     .382   .297    2.3  21.2   http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=32033

Notice the TO margin is the same even with more minutes.

It just seems Ervin turns the ball over at the most clutch times.  And Welsh can just flat out make more plays

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on December 18, 2007, 03:07:21 pm
It just seems Ervin turns the ball over at the most clutch times.  And Welsh can just flat out make more plays
Wesh had that one game where he hit alot of 3's, but he doesn't ever really light up the scoreboard.  Ervin has had some solid games lately, I think when he has bad games they are really frustrating.  It's hard to watch a short guy drive into the towers and have nothing in mind to do with the ball.  Statistically he's a better shooter than Welsh though. 

The deal is they are both only marginal PG's.  We haven't had a true point since Kareem Reid really.