Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hey, coach Pel

Started by hillhog, December 15, 2007, 09:31:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hillhog

Hang tough, help is on the way

jpenrod1

We dont need to hang tough. this team is as talented as anybody. we need to get it in gear. I expect us to be competing for the SEC title come tournament time.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: hillhog on December 15, 2007, 09:31:34 pm
Hang tough, help is on the way
He doesn't need help, he already has all of Stan's players...if there is a team with more seniors in the country than Arkansas, I'd like to know who they are. 

I am just telling you all right now, whether or not you enjoy is style of play more, Pel will not be as successful as Stan (and people are rolling their eyes thinking, did he just call Stan successful?)  Yeah, I just said that.  Stan had to waste 3 of his 5 years rebuilding Nolan's mess.

Rooka

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on December 15, 2007, 09:59:29 pm
He doesn't need help, he already has all of Stan's players...if there is a team with more seniors in the country than Arkansas, I'd like to know who they are. 

I am just telling you all right now, whether or not you enjoy is style of play more, Pel will not be as successful as Stan (and people are rolling their eyes thinking, did he just call Stan successful?)  Yeah, I just said that.  Stan had to waste 3 of his 5 years rebuilding Nolan's mess.
Then how come you are already judging Pel?  If you let Pel have a chance, Pel will take us to the top, Heath showed no emotion on the court, and his offense and defense always seemed to be standing still.  Once Pel gets HIS players in HIS system and a TRUE PG(Fortson) then it will be different.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: Death by Hog on December 15, 2007, 10:01:51 pm
Then how come you are already judging Pel?  If you let Pel have a chance, Pel will take us to the top, Heath showed no emotion on the court, and his offense and defense always seemed to be standing still.  Once Pel gets HIS players in HIS system and a TRUE PG(Fortson) then it will be different.
Heath showed slightly more than Bobby Knight type emotion on the court...remember Bobby just sits there and talks only at timeouts (not comparing success at all)
Defense, lets see, when it was Ronnie, Dontell, & company, they were 2nd in the SEC in steals, 1st in blocks, and statistically I believe 3rd in D.
Offense, I will say that I think they could have been better offensivly.

Here is the point...you as a fan, do not get to judge anything about the coach on the field/court except wins and losses.  You don't...people with an elementary level of knowledge do not get to criticize those who have a professional level of knowledge.  I am pointing out that Stan was not the negative many made him out to be.  When he rebuilds USF....actually when he builds USF (never been good so it isn't rebuilding), it will be an indication that he can win.  Pel did a fine job at USA, and I think he will be fine here.  I just was and still am a Stan guy!  I think he got a raw deal and a couple of bounces went the wrong way...heck UGA dropping a 35 footer at the buzzer is more than likely what cost him his job.

If by emotion you means runs up and down the sidelines, yelling for the sake of it, and picking up Ts every game, ok I applaud Pel.  I couldn't care if a coach gets a T and I think for the most part, they are stupid to get except in rare cases...like a completely lifeless team!

Rooka

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on December 15, 2007, 10:13:33 pm
Heath showed slightly more than Bobby Knight type emotion on the court...remember Bobby just sits there and talks only at timeouts (not comparing success at all)
Defense, lets see, when it was Ronnie, Dontell, & company, they were 2nd in the SEC in steals, 1st in blocks, and statistically I believe 3rd in D.
Offense, I will say that I think they could have been better offensivly.

Here is the point...you as a fan, do not get to judge anything about the coach on the field/court except wins and losses.  You don't...people with an elementary level of knowledge do not get to criticize those who have a professional level of knowledge.  I am pointing out that Stan was not the negative many made him out to be.  When he rebuilds USF....actually when he builds USF (never been good so it isn't rebuilding), it will be an indication that he can win.  Pel did a fine job at USA, and I think he will be fine here.  I just was and still am a Stan guy!  I think he got a raw deal and a couple of bounces went the wrong way...heck UGA dropping a 35 footer at the buzzer is more than likely what cost him his job.

If by emotion you means runs up and down the sidelines, yelling for the sake of it, and picking up Ts every game, ok I applaud Pel.  I couldn't care if a coach gets a T and I think for the most part, they are stupid to get except in rare cases...like a completely lifeless team!
I just couldnt stand seeing someone not chew someone out with they made a mistake he didnt seem to correct them, just applaud the effort and move on.  Pel makes sure they know when they do something right or when they do something wrong.  For instance that dunk that Bev did today and seeing the coach run up to him and chest bump him like that like was a player showed just how fired up he gets.  It is just entertainment.  All I am saying is give Pel a chance, he is bringing in a HECK of a recruiting class in this year just like Heath did.  Let's see what he can do, then we will compare. Deal?  8)

Modsquad24

i can go ahead and say pel's record after 5 yrs is gonna be way better than heath's after 5 yrs, if he will stay put that long.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: Modsquad24 on December 15, 2007, 10:23:39 pm
i can go ahead and say pel's record after 5 yrs is gonna be way better than heath's after 5 yrs, if he will stay put that long.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....ya think, because Pel had to deal with the likes of Dionisio Gomez & Co his first year....Pel will never have a 9-19 season, and that is neither of their faults.

Remember, the fanbase gave Stan his first two years for free...because of the Nolan mess.  So seldom we forget that we give passes, then 5 or 7 years down the road, we forget we gave a pass, then we judge the coach for it!

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: Death by Hog on December 15, 2007, 10:18:43 pm
I just couldnt stand seeing someone not chew someone out with they made a mistake he didnt seem to correct them, just applaud the effort and move on.  Pel makes sure they know when they do something right or when they do something wrong.  For instance that dunk that Bev did today and seeing the coach run up to him and chest bump him like that like was a player showed just how fired up he gets.  It is just entertainment.  All I am saying is give Pel a chance, he is bringing in a HECK of a recruiting class in this year just like Heath did.  Let's see what he can do, then we will compare. Deal?  8)

I will give you that...but as much as you find entertainment in those antics...I couldn't give two ****s about how fired up the coach acts, chest bumping a player, Ts etc....because every coach has his own style...and he needs to coach his own personality.  If a coach doesn't publicly criticize a player, that isn't to say he didn't correct the mistake...maybe, as Stan did all the time, sit the player on the bench with the assistants, and let them talk to him.  Bruce Pearl and Tubby Smith are both great basketball coaches, but they are day & night in their coaching style...one is uptempo, one is slow, one is firey, one is more laid back....is either right or wrong?  No!

Jeffcphog

The only thing that saves us this year is that the whole SEC, East and West appears to be down.  We may still win the West.

Rooka

I never said that there coaching styles was bad but comparing a Heath with Tubby or Bruce just cant be done.  Heath just wasnt the fit here, did he get screwed our of what would have been his last year, yes he did, but he just could not when no one ever got better and that is what a coach is getting paid for to make his recruits better players and make them elite athletes.

Modsquad24

if the ncaa selection committee would of taken the more deserving teams last year we wouldnt be having this talk, sorry man stan wasnt that good.

40MINSOFHELL

you should of followed stan heath when he went to south florida if u feel like this...damn stan heath was so bad the crowd doesnt know how to cheer anymore and thats because of his boring system..

corpitguy

Stan and Nolan both left a mess.  Pelphrey is a good coach, and it'll take him some time to get us out of this.... but he'll get us there.  Plus, OU ain't bad.  We didn't lose to a cupcake or anything.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on December 15, 2007, 10:49:44 pm
you should of followed stan heath when he went to south florida if u feel like this...damn stan heath was so bad the crowd doesnt know how to cheer anymore and thats because of his boring system..

Yeah...you said system...so you didn't like the system.  It isn't about the system.  It was never about any of the other stuff I keep hearing.

I do follow Stan...I check the scores every game...I can't really send back my diploma to the U of A though.  I didn't mind seeing Oronde Taliaferro beat the Hogs today though (ex-Hogs Asst who is now an asst with OU).  If someone has to beat Arkansas, I don't mind it being someone who largely helped build them.  Taliaferro was a primary recruiter on Brewer, Famutimi, Beverley, Thomas, Al Jefferson (who unfortunatly didn't make it to campus), Mike Washington...I think that about covers it.

Topcat

The problem was nobody went to the games anymore and that has to be attributed to style of play. Pel's style will bring fans back. I think that about covers it. I may have an 'elementary knowledge ' of the game but i can read attendance figures.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: Topcat on December 15, 2007, 11:39:01 pm
The problem was nobody went to the games anymore and that has to be attributed to style of play. Pel's style will bring fans back. I think that about covers it. I may have an 'elementary knowledge ' of the game but i can read attendance figures.

You are correct...it was never about how good, or not good the team was.  It was about the entertainment value of the team.  Just because people didn't want to watch didn't mean it wasn't good basketball.

Dick Bennett's Wisconsin team went to the Final 4 in 2000, and everyone remembers is because it was quite possibly the slowest played game in the Final 4 in the shot clock era.  They lost a tough fought game to Michigan State in the semis.  It was hard to watch, but it was good basketball, it got them to the Final 4. 

I am not arguing whether or not something is more fun to watch.  I am not a fan of pressing the whole game...I think defending the correct basket is usually the better of the 2 methodologies...though pressing from time to time is good.  I am stating that while Heath's teams were decent...not great, decent...he should have gotten the opportunity to coach what would have been his best team.  The entertainment value of the game is not withstanding, because I study the game to an extreme level...like go to coaches clinic, read x & o books...etc.  I find half court offense, and zone traps...etc just as exciting ally oop dunks. 

dclay89

well hell dmac4sainthood, i say with all ur knowledge we should just let u coach.. root doot ska doot!! quit livin in the past and become a member of the now.. or u can call up jeff long and tell him what a huge mistake letting heath go was, and tell him u want him back.. i dont care about ur gay coaches clinics and the basketball for dumbasses books u read, if u can honestly say u would rather watch heath coach than watch pelphrey coach then so be it... but my god it hasnt even been half of a season.. i dont think u should send back ur diploma, i believe the U of A should take it away from u.. buy a south florida hat or something, my goodness just reading ur posts makes me cringe.

mbgrulz

the problem is that if those seniors were as talented as advertised, they'd be in the league already.

Good college players rarely make it to their senior year anymore. Freshmen and Soph's are the ones having the greatest impact on teams.

This team has no on-court leadership, or go to player. no corey beck's and no corliss williamson's.   

Modsquad24

I guess its hard for Pelphrey to break the 3 previous years pattern of laziness and taking plays off only playing when you want to

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: dclay89 on December 16, 2007, 02:52:22 am
well hell dmac4sainthood, i say with all ur knowledge we should just let u coach.. root doot ska doot!! quit livin in the past and become a member of the now.. or u can call up jeff long and tell him what a huge mistake letting heath go was, and tell him u want him back.. i dont care about ur gay coaches clinics and the basketball for dumbasses books u read, if u can honestly say u would rather watch heath coach than watch pelphrey coach then so be it... but my god it hasnt even been half of a season.. i dont think u should send back ur diploma, i believe the U of A should take it away from u.. buy a south florida hat or something, my goodness just reading ur posts makes me cringe.

The point I was making was unlike most fans, I attempt to make an effort to become knowledgeable about the strategies of basketball.  Most of you...including you dclay, just want to run your mouth.  I am making the point that I have an appreciation for half court basketball...because your ADD doesn't allow it, does not make it bad basketball.

Just for my information mr fan...and this isn't a challenge, just a question...do you have a diploma and is it from the U of A?  Just curious if you spent the money to be able to comment on the Hogs?

bd93

So just because they are seniors that makes them some of the best players in the contry and means we shouldn't lose to a tough road game.

And by the way.... we have two loses, the season is not ruined yet.  There is still a lot basketball left to be played.

jgphillips3

December 16, 2007, 02:32:49 pm #22 Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 02:35:03 pm by jgphillips3
I liked Heath very much as a person, but as a coach you can only grade him on the on-the-court results.  He frequently got outcoached and his teams got outplayed or fatigued in the final minutes and couldn't hold onto leads.  He could barely scratch .500 in league play.  If you like him...great.  I don't want to convince you not to like him.  However, saying casual observers cannot comment on his coaching skills is somewhat akin to saying that people who have never been Congressmen shouldn't vote.  You don't have to obtain the highest level of acumen on a subject to comment on it. 

Stan had every opportunity to prove himself and just couldn't ever get his team over the hump.  If you are going to coach at Arkansas, which in Basketball is a Top 20 (hell maybe Top 15) program, then average or barely acceptable results isn't good enough.  Using one of your analogies, if he had gotten one of his Arkansas teams to the final four and lost, we wouldn't have a new coach regardless of how boring his system was because he would have been winning enough games to keep the seats filled and the recruiting would not have sagged a little bit more every year as it did after his first class or two. 

Again, if you like him as a coach that's fine by me.  Just don't try to tell others they are wrong for their opinion of his coaching abilities.  There are as many fine arguments for his coaching failures as there are for his successes.  I think he did a lot of good things and I wish him the best at USF.  I really do.  I am just glad to have coach Pel here and I look forward to our basketball future.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: bd93 on December 16, 2007, 02:12:20 pm
So just because they are seniors that makes them some of the best players in the contry and means we shouldn't lose to a tough road game.

And by the way.... we have two loses, the season is not ruined yet.  There is still a lot basketball left to be played.

I didn't say that...everyone else is putting those words as something I said.  Losing a game on the road to a tough team is no big deal.  I am just saying that those who are Pel apologists saying that the team isn't talented are the same people criticising Stan last year for not winning with those same supposedly talented players...I am criticising Hog fans' lack of consistency.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 16, 2007, 02:32:49 pm
I liked Heath very much as a person, but as a coach you can only grade him on the on-the-court results.  He frequently got outcoached and his teams got outplayed or fatigued in the final minutes and couldn't hold onto leads.  He could barely scratch .500 in league play.  If you like him...great.  I don't want to convince you not to like him.  However, saying casual observers cannot comment on his coaching skills is somewhat akin to saying that people who have never been Congressmen shouldn't vote.  You don't have to obtain the highest level of acumen on a subject to comment on it. 

Stan had every opportunity to prove himself and just couldn't ever get his team over the hump.  If you are going to coach at Arkansas, which in Basketball is a Top 20 (hell maybe Top 15) program, then average or barely acceptable results isn't good enough.  Using one of your analogies, if he had gotten one of his Arkansas teams to the final four and lost, we wouldn't have a new coach regardless of how boring his system was because he would have been winning enough games to keep the seats filled and the recruiting would not have sagged a little bit more every year as it did after his first class or two. 

Again, if you like him as a coach that's fine by me.  Just don't try to tell others they are wrong for their opinion of his coaching abilities.  There are as many fine arguments for his coaching failures as there are for his successes.  I think he did a lot of good things and I wish him the best at USF.  I really do.  I am just glad to have coach Pel here and I look forward to our basketball future.

See, I don't believe that about Hog fans.  I have learned that those who cheer for my school are a bunch of malcontents that not only want maximum success, but maximum entertainment as well.  They are the same people who whined about Nutt during the 10-2 regular season (yes I know he finished 10-4) because he ran too much.  The same people who complain when Darren McFadden isn't on the field, but also whine when we ride DMac when he is hot, then he winds up with 33 carries in a game, and the coaching staff is supposedly trying to injury him.  Basically, no coach can really win at the U of A, because not only do they have to win, but have to win in the way that the fans see fit.

I have never seen a group of people so inconsistant in my life.

jgphillips3

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on December 16, 2007, 03:11:04 pm
See, I don't believe that about Hog fans.  I have learned that those who cheer for my school are a bunch of malcontents that not only want maximum success, but maximum entertainment as well.  They are the same people who whined about Nutt during the 10-2 regular season (yes I know he finished 10-4) because he ran too much.  The same people who complain when Darren McFadden isn't on the field, but also whine when we ride DMac when he is hot, then he winds up with 33 carries in a game, and the coaching staff is supposedly trying to injury him.  Basically, no coach can really win at the U of A, because not only do they have to win, but have to win in the way that the fans see fit.

I have never seen a group of people so inconsistant in my life.

The problem with your statement again is calling it a "group".  Every program has those guys who are never happy.  Some of those guys post on this board.  Problem is, this board actually has an incredible diversity of opinion even among those who share a common sentiment. 

To use your example, I was not happy when we were running too much last year, but not because it wasn't enjoyable.  I feared that we wouldn't be able to pass when we needed to and that is exactly what came to pass (no pun intended).  If Petrino doesn't stay balanced with the run, I will have the same concern from the other side of the ball.  However, his teams have shown great balance in the general scheme of things. 

A coach can "win" in the court of public opinion at the U of A.  They just have to be performing at or near the top of their game in a good percentage of seasons.  Did we lose faith in Nolan when he went from final four, to elite eight, to sweet sixteen with May-Day...No... but we did lose faith in Oliver Miller's ability to not eat us out of championship contention, but not with Nolan as the head man.  In fact it took almost five years of continual slide before he lost a significant portion of public sentiment.  Most of the public did not turn against HDN until almost seven or eight years into his reign of error. 

If Petrino and Pelphrey win and give fans the general impression that tomorrow is brighter than today, the vast majority of Hog fans will be supportive.  The idiots who can never be happy that make up about 3% of the fan base (albeit a vocal 3% at times) will always be there, but will be drowned out by those of us who have reasonable concerns but expect results.  Please note, that I am not calling any of the posters in this thread idiots, but we all know they are out there. 

We have suffered for about five years under coaches who just couldn't turn the corner and it will take a little time for the fan base to heal from that.  Be patient.  If either football or basketball (or both) turn the corner, you will hear a lot less carping about trivial things.

chiefsfan

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on December 15, 2007, 11:21:12 pm
Yeah...you said system...so you didn't like the system.  It isn't about the system.  It was never about any of the other stuff I keep hearing.

I do follow Stan...I check the scores every game...I can't really send back my diploma to the U of A though.  I didn't mind seeing Oronde Taliaferro beat the Hogs today though (ex-Hogs Asst who is now an asst with OU).  If someone has to beat Arkansas, I don't mind it being someone who largely helped build them.  Taliaferro was a primary recruiter on Brewer, Famutimi, Beverley, Thomas, Al Jefferson (who unfortunatly didn't make it to campus), Mike Washington...I think that about covers it.

The problem I have is that you arent giving Pelphrey a chance because we fired your coach.   stan heath isnt here anymore.   Quit whining and complaining every loss about how Stan was better.   he isnt our coach anymore, and will never be our coach again.  Complaing about it right now only gets you ignored even more.   

If you really care so much about stan heath, there are a few South Florida message boards I can suggest for you. 
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: chiefsfan on December 16, 2007, 05:17:15 pm
The problem I have is that you arent giving Pelphrey a chance because we fired your coach.   stan heath isnt here anymore.   Quit whining and complaining every loss about how Stan was better.   he isnt our coach anymore, and will never be our coach again.  Complaing about it right now only gets you ignored even more.  

If you really care so much about stan heath, there are a few South Florida message boards I can suggest for you. 

I am giving Pelphrey a chance...he is currently my head coach whether or not I like it, and thus I have to support him.  What I am getting a little peeved by, and if you can't see it, I am sorry...is when the Hogs win, its because Pelphrey is a genius coach, and when we lose, it is because of Stan's worthless players...do you not see what I am pointing out?

budcampbellfan

This is Pel's first year.  When we lose this year it is still Stan's fault.  Especially when they still can't shoot or hit free throws.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: budcampbellfan on December 16, 2007, 05:56:59 pm
This is Pel's first year.  When we lose this year it is still Stan's fault.  Especially when they still can't shoot or hit free throws.

Good to know that you just confirmed the inconsistency of every hog fan to me.

jgphillips3

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on December 16, 2007, 07:35:29 pm
Good to know that you just confirmed the inconsistency of every hog fan to me.

How is that inconsistent?  When Stan lost the first year, we blamed Nolan's lack of recruiting and "how far the program had fallen" and didn't blame Stan.  I know that some are inconsistent, but this statement is exactly consistent with how almost the entire fan base felt when Stan took over.  When Stan lost, we blamed Nolan, not him and said "give hime time."  Ditto Pel, he's dealing with players he didn't recruit that don't fit his system and it won't be his fault until late next season or the season thereafter...just like we all said with Heath.

dmac4sainthood

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 16, 2007, 09:24:44 pm
How is that inconsistent?  When Stan lost the first year, we blamed Nolan's lack of recruiting and "how far the program had fallen" and didn't blame Stan.  I know that some are inconsistent, but this statement is exactly consistent with how almost the entire fan base felt when Stan took over.  When Stan lost, we blamed Nolan, not him and said "give hime time."  Ditto Pel, he's dealing with players he didn't recruit that don't fit his system and it won't be his fault until late next season or the season thereafter...just like we all said with Heath.

The difference is Nolan's team or Stan's team was going to be awful in 02-03...Sure they both had quite a few seniors, but there is a slight difference in talent level.  Stan's team, or Pel's team is sure to make the dance this year.  When the players are obviously terrible, you can't really blame the coach.  When you are no worse than the 2nd or 3rd most talented team in the SEC...because really, who is in the argument other than us...Tennessee, Miss St., Florida maybe...but combination of talent & experience, there should be nobody who would touch us in the SEC this year.

The expectations should directly reflect reality.

dclay89

dmac4sainthood, seriously man.. u need to just stop acting like ur hot stuff..its seriously starting to annoy me. i like to run my mouth? im pretty sure were on here running ur mouth and i called YOU on it.. so quit trying to sound so dang smart.. we get it, congrats on ur diploma from the U of A.. we dont care.. u have an appreciation for a boring style of play that only a few people show up to watch.. sweet man.. go ahead and hate on pelphrey because he's fun to watch and so is his style of play.. i dont understand why u think i have ADD just because i disagree with u, u must have studied about ADD while working to get that badass diploma u keep bringing up.. dude, im over it.. u love stan heath.. thats cool.. but he's gone, so how about u support pelphrey and not just because u have no other option.. have u noticed its u versus everyone? no one likes u getting on here and talking all of ur worthless bologna... if u need me to buy u a USF T-shirt, i'll do it.. but u have to promise not to post on here anymore

VenturaHog

December 17, 2007, 03:56:44 am #33 Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 04:01:06 am by VenturaHog
We are not even to conference play and you are already calling him a failure, I hope you are joking. If you really believe that garbage then you need to put down the pipe.

Oklahoma is good, we were in the game neck and neck almost the whole time. We have no real point gaurd, and our best center is only good for blocking shots, seriously, that is it. That is not Pel's fault and that will kill you in any style.

ke2743

Quote from: dmac4sainthood on December 16, 2007, 01:33:50 pm
The point I was making was unlike most fans, I attempt to make an effort to become knowledgeable about the strategies of basketball.  Most of you...including you dclay, just want to run your mouth.  I am making the point that I have an appreciation for half court basketball...because your ADD doesn't allow it, does not make it bad basketball.

Just for my information mr fan...and this isn't a challenge, just a question...do you have a diploma and is it from the U of A?  Just curious if you spent the money to be able to comment on the Hogs?

Yes I do, and I personally watched Heath lose games for us.  While I respect your opinion, I cannot agree that he is a better coach, nor does anyone else that I have spoken with share your opinion.  I think Heath is doing just fine where he is now and it is a better position for him.  He was not U of A material. 

ke2743

Coach Pel has brought back the passion to our Hog program, and for that I am grateful.  He makes it fun again. 

hair of the hog

As talented as anybody? No pointguard , big men who can only score in the post every now and again. Players who are prone to turning the ball over. If you think this is as talented as it gets I would say you have an eye on sports as good as ESPN's

Quote from: jpenrod1 on December 15, 2007, 09:33:05 pm
We dont need to hang tough. this team is as talented as anybody. we need to get it in gear. I expect us to be competing for the SEC title come tournament time.
Go sell crazy somewhere else , we are all stocked up around here

Modsquad24

look stans guys were 9-37 on the road before Pel got here, all he did was be there when they went to 9-38, I gurantee you let him get his players in here and we will win on the road as his teams at S. Alabama did