Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

POLL: WHY DID WE LOSE TO OU? PICK 1 REASON!

Started by mathhog, December 15, 2007, 05:32:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok, now that it's over... why did the hogs lose to oklahoma? (PICK TOP 3 REASONS)

Turnovers: 10 total (not horrible compared to OU's 8, but still had an effect)
10 (3%)
Officiating: Refs not calling ANY fouls on that stretch in the mid-2nd half
9 (2.7%)
Free Throws: 53% (missed 8, including front end of 1-and-1s)
102 (30.6%)
3 Point Shooting: our 20% compared to OU's 44%
126 (37.8%)
OU's Longar: 17 points, 4 blocks, 59% free throw.. but of course didn't miss
7 (2.1%)
OU's Leary: his 4-4 from 3 land caused us to guard out in the 2nd half, leaving the post open
8 (2.4%)
sigh.. Beverley:  3-14 from the floor, 8 total points in 38 minutes
38 (11.4%)
sigh... Ervin:  3 turnovers, an assist-to-turnover ratio of 0.67 (remember, above 1 is good...)
17 (5.1%)
sigh... Hill: 3 blocks (good), but in 15 minutes, 1 whole rebound and 0 points on 0 shot attempts
16 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 297

mathhog

December 15, 2007, 05:32:03 pm Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:40:42 am by mathhog
EDIT:  YOU CAN ONLY PICK 1 CHOICE.. MY BAD

CREDIT: AP PHOTO

Beaverfever

No doubt about it, you have to make shots to win.  They did, we didn't (never do).

pignatious

Can't just pick one, there are multiple reasons. Mainly, our players are just not that good and don't play smart. We need major help in shooting and point guard play.
Freedom is never free.

babywhiz

They gave up in the end. That a Heath leftover. That will take time to fix.
Safe is boring. Sweet insanity is the voice saying "I bet we can fit one more in there."

hogsailor

Quote from: Ar_Hog on December 15, 2007, 05:39:19 pm
No choice for all the above?  We have to get better before conference play

They will get eaten alive if they they play like that in conference.

That said, Longar handed their asses to them today...

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

Tejano Jawg

I picked Beverly...only because he's a sub-set of the leading category: 3-PT SHOOTING.

But did you see how many points OU got from our turnovers? About a third of them. We didn't convert nearly that well. That may have been the biggest difference.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Brand X Hog Fan

Ervin's turnover late was huge so I picked him. I really don't think we let down late as much as OU picked it up. The late 3 to push the lead to 9 or 10 (after Gary's turnover I think) was the coffin nail. I do know this much . . . if losses like this are driving us Nutts in basketball, some of us aren't going to do well at all next fall come football season. Give both programs two years and lets talk again! ;)

WPS!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

nobballconcept

uncoachable players.....Pel probably can't wait to see these guys leave

hogsailor

Did anyone notice Taliffero(sp) one of Heaths assistants sitting on the OU bench?

Bet this was a sweet win for him...

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-- -- Joseph Joubert

coach, my back hurts

It never fails we play a team that just came off their worse lose in several yrs.  OU WAS NOT going to lose this game.  Not to us anyways.  It also never fails that ever subpar FT shooter hits ever damn FT he takes.

The thing is though.  Duke, UNC, Memphis, UCLA, Kansas etc, etc will all run into teams with similiar circumstances as OU.  Those teams just aint as mentally week and just plain ole dumb as we are.  OU's lose to SFA was settin us up for beating and we just set there and let it happen.  Good teams will overcome whatever intangibles the other team has.  But, we arent a good team yet.  Maybe next yr.

joeyself

December 15, 2007, 06:31:28 pm #12 Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 06:33:37 pm by joeyself
Free throws.

I know shooting from the floor differs from arena to arena, but it's still 15 feet of unguarded shot. 

If we make more from the line, then late in the game we're not in scramble mode.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

40MINSOFHELL

hmm cant believe u didnt put WEEMS ALL BY HIMSELF in the poll...him and his bad shots

blacksuit

How about our team defense? Not just 3 pt shots. OU shot 50%.

mathhog

Quote from: blacksuit on December 15, 2007, 06:41:54 pm
How about our team defense? Not just 3 pt shots. OU shot 50%.

DUNKS my friend, DUNKS drive up the percentage... a.k.a. the result of trying to guard shooters like leary

hogzz1

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on December 15, 2007, 06:33:17 pm
hmm cant believe u didnt put WEEMS ALL BY HIMSELF in the poll...him and his bad shots
thats what i was thinking

HawgG

December 15, 2007, 09:07:38 pm #17 Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 09:23:50 pm by HawgG
Quote from: babywhiz on December 15, 2007, 05:40:26 pm
They gave up in the end. That a Heath leftover. That will take time to fix.
Coach Pelphrey's problem not Stan Heath.

It's funny that when Arkansas wins oh what a great coach Pel is, blah, blah, blah.

However when the team loses it is not Coach Pelphrey' fault but it is Coach Heath's fault.

Coach Heath is long gone to Tampa, FL trying to turn USF into a meaningful D-1 basketball team.Please try to remember that.

This is what Heath was doing today while Arkansas was playing.

Hogphilia

Why is it we take SEC refs with us on the road...Hell, give us Big 12 refs....they couldn't be any worse to us that Bruce Benedict and David England were to us today.

neahogfan

Defense, we pressed almost the whole game, and only forced 8 turnovers. 

TennesseeRaz

It seemed to me that there was about a twelve minute stretch in the second half where the team forgot that Townes and Thomas were almost unstoppable in the paint -- at least when they got the ball.

Rayzback

Those three's were daggers at just the right times. Plain and simple OU wanted it more. Still sucks!   >:(

The road curse continues...
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

Dwight_K_Shrute

We need to add another choice.

Pel's tie.  No red in sight.  I'm sure it wasn't intentional but that neckware has got to represent.  For Christmas let's all send Pel some snazzy red ties.  He probably hasn't had time to accumulate enough.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HogsGoneWild

Steven Hill took one shot today, that Longar guy swatted it into the 3rd row.

Junkyard Hog

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HogsGoneWild on December 15, 2007, 11:36:15 pm
Steven Hill took one shot today, that Longar guy swatted it into the 3rd row.

It was an awful shot too.  Instead of going up strong Hill lets this little floater go in like a crouched position.  Looked like a freaking little girl.

Shave your beard, cut your hair and man the f up.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

pignatious

Quote from: HawgG on December 15, 2007, 09:07:38 pm

It's funny that when Arkansas wins oh what a great coach Pel is, blah, blah, blah.

However when the team loses it is not Coach Pelphrey' fault but it is Coach Heath's fault.

Coach Heath is long gone to Tampa, FL trying to turn USF into a meaningful D-1 basketball team.Please try to remember that.

Good for Stan. Wish him nothing but good things. Just glad he's long gone.
Freedom is never free.

CalHog

Quote from: HawgG on December 15, 2007, 09:07:38 pm

No, it is not Heath's fault, but it is the players that Heath left us with.  Of the players who played today only Washington and Beverly fits Pel's system.  Beverly had a bad game, but he will be ok when the rest are gone and there are players here that can compliment his game.

hawgtahm

I would have voted for this:

No patience or discipline offensively in the final 10 minutes. There were too many instances of 1 guy trying to do it himself against 3 (i.e. drive to the basket, pick up the dribble and lay the ball directly into the padding on the underside of the back board).

parrishw

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on December 15, 2007, 05:59:37 pm
Ervin's turnover late was huge so I picked him. I really don't think we let down late as much as OU picked it up. The late 3 to push the lead to 9 or 10 (after Gary's turnover I think) was the coffin nail. I do know this much . . . if losses like this are driving us Nutts in basketball, some of us aren't going to do well at all next fall come football season. Give both programs two years and lets talk again! ;)

WPS!

Ervin's trurnover just tell part of the story. A turnover followed by a frustration foul and then bad passes that end up in another player being charged for the turnover but Ervin actually caused it.

Iverson got a tatto that named himself 'the answer'. He was not.

Ervin needs one that says "the liability"  cause he is.

AirForceHog

I believe that the free throw shooting really hurt us in this game. Most often a game does not come down to FT shooting. This one did and we did make them when we needed to.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

phoggy

I put 3pt shooting but it's shooting in general. We still don't have anyone that can consistently put the ball in the basket.
Because of the climate of political correctness now pervading America, those of us in Arkansas will no longer be referred to as HILLBILLIES. We ask that you now refer to us as OZARK-AMERICANS.Thank you!....Now if you'll excuse me, I got possums to fry.

mword

HawgG

Quote from: CalHog on December 16, 2007, 01:57:25 am
No, it is not Heath's fault, but it is the players that Heath left us with.  Of the players who played today only Washington and Beverly fits Pel's system.  Beverly had a bad game, but he will be ok when the rest are gone and there are players here that can compliment his game.
Check this then as I know you heard it before, a good coach adapts to what type of players he has and not the other way around.

One recent example is what Andy Kennedy did for Ole Miss last season.Hey Stan is doing something similar to that at USF right now.

All yeah so is Bob Huggins at West Virgina.

Huggins is letting WVU did run all of Belien's offense but he has them running his trademark man-to-man defense.

PelphreyRocks

Defense, it was really the transition D that killed AR today... when the guards made mistakes (like going to the hoop and messin it up or throwing it away), OK just got 5/6 easy threes.  That and we just CAN'T MAKE FREE THROWS... OMG

PeytonManningSUCKS

I said 3 point shooting, but I would say specifically 3 point shooting in the second half.  Plus OU made some huge shots down the stretch.

spudhog

i thought ou's 3 point shooting was the difference. my second choice would've been the officiating. in the first half, i thought we got a lot of cheap fouls on us while they were able to play away. plus, on the first possession of the second half, washington grabbed a defensive board, got his arm removed and they got the ball and dunked it. wasn't as bad as the 60 free throws they shot the last time we were over there

that noble center is just a house of horror's for us. seeing najera knock down his first 5 three's of his career, the 60 free throw game and then seeing their team make 11 3's when the week before they made only 2 just makes you sick.

slopinhogs

free throw shooting guards and fwds not making their shots. penetrstiong up the middle jumping into the air and nowhere to pass the ball.happened three times in the okl. game.turn overs are down but everything else is still ,after 4 years, weak. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Swinelander

This was kind of an unusual game.  We managed to beat OU on the boards, a very big team mind you and only turned the ball over on 15.6 percent of our offensive possesions.  We by the numbers played a decent game.  Basically OU made some necessary shots to win the game.  Ie, much more three's and better free throw shooting.  OU went by the old adage of dunks, layups and threes.  That won them the game.  There is nothing overly wrong with our defense and I'm not to convinced that on a different day the outcome of that game isn't completely different.  OU had some breaks that are going to go to the home team.  As one of the guys on ESPN put it, "any half-way decent team can beat any team in the country at home on a good night."  If anything I put solace in the fact that Pelphrey has fixed the rebounding of this team.  That alone will make us much better later on in the season.  We are actually 2nd in the country in offensive rebounding percentage.  If the turnovers can continue to come down the offensive rebounding will make up for our lack of 3pt. shooters.  But if they don't it all goes for naught.