Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steven Hill

Started by mosehawg, December 15, 2007, 05:31:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mosehawg

What is it gonna take for this guy to play to his potential? I mean he is 7FT tall and is nowhere near the top in rebounding...blocks are one thing and can help but where we are getting beat is rebounding! Somebody has got to kick this guy in the butt and get him angry. He plays like he has no heart or something. I for one want the best for him and the team. The just seem like they are going to be underacheivers this year.
"I don't take no anesthetic. Did Lincoln ask for any girlie gas when they blowed his head off?"

canonhog

We are a team full of potential.  But that is such a scary word it means we are the best of the worst and th worst of the best. Turnovers have to stop before we can get better . Still pumped over our HOGS though.
Canonhog

mosehawg

They have more talen than any team in a long time but what they seem to lack is concentration and heart
"I don't take no anesthetic. Did Lincoln ask for any girlie gas when they blowed his head off?"

mcrabtr81

Heart and Effort, which I don't know if he possesses either after watching him today.

bobetty

and what's up with Hill's wooly mammoth look?  Please.  On a brighter note, Gary Ervin is a Senior, and hopefully Pel can find a point guard who doesn't have a turnover every 3rd time they touch the ball. 

PIGINAPOKE

Spell the name right...Standin Still ...........Not Steve Hill.
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

want2be

Somebody needs to wake this guy up a couple of hours before the game and get some red bull or something.

Turnovers, free throws, lack of a true leader, and shot selection hurt us today..........BUT I SURE LIKE TO SEE THE 30 MINUTES OF HECK.....They did not quite make it to 40.

canonhog

very talanted and very young i agree to on getting out of control. i think Pel. will sink in on them soon and we will be alright in conference :razorback:
Canonhog

canonhog

4o mins. of pel for to much longer :razorback:
Canonhog

mosehawg

It takes a certain ATTITUDE something that former big men we have had: Hastings, Kline, Big O and Corliss...let one of the greats have him for a week and he'll either get mean or quit! The kid has no heart! He needs to find it...this ain't 6th grade jv and he's so tall no one can defend him...It is bad when a 6-9 or 10 guy can shut your 7+ft guy down...Steve GET MEAN

condohog

Gotlieb already said he is just a big body in there. Can't pass or recognize lanes to rebound. He is a SHOT blocker period. Sure he can flush one every no and then but he has no offensive potential.  The light in not going to come on because it is not there. I really appreciate him as a defensive presense but that is it.  The success of our team does not depend on Hill nor should it.  He is a role player who starts in order to win the tip and establish a defensive presense.  Coach Pel knows this and it is a good way to have Townes come in the game later.

pigfeet

Starting to like Townes' game

pignatious

Quote from: mosehawg on December 15, 2007, 05:49:41 pm
It takes a certain ATTITUDE something that former big men we have had: Hastings, Kline, Big O and Corliss...let one of the greats have him for a week and he'll either get mean or quit! The kid has no heart! He needs to find it...this ain't 6th grade jv and he's so tall no one can defend him...It is bad when a 6-9 or 10 guy can shut your 7+ft guy down...Steve GET MEAN

Lost cause. He will never play with emotion. It's as if he is bored with all that is happening around him.
Freedom is never free.

IZAHOG

Hill is a stiff... At least he's tall but there are trees on my land that are more effective in the post

deltahogfan

Quote from: pignatious on December 15, 2007, 06:20:58 pm
Lost cause. He will never play with emotion. It's as if he is bored with all that is happening around him.
I do not think he enjoys the game. Sorta like I am 7' tall, so I will go out for the team. If he some drive, he would be bad to the bone. Just my opinion.
Those who get there first with the most.

L.A.

Quote from: mosehawg on December 15, 2007, 05:38:14 pm
They have more talen than any team in a long time but what they seem to lack is concentration and heart

Don't confuse talent with athleticism.  I've been saying forever that Steven is just a 7ft athelete, no more no less.  He has no offensive game and lacks strength and awareness to be a good rebounder.  This is why I believe he will never make in the NBA.  Sonny is the same way, a tremendous athelete who has ability to occasionally knock down jumpers and slam a lob pass but other than that he doesn't bring much to the table.  I believe that Bev and Washinton have the highest "basketball skill" on the team and Darian shows signs of it every now and then.

I am not trying to diss the players because I love watching them play and hope they continue to improve but this is just how I have always viewed this group of of guys from the 1st time I saw them play.  Hopefully Pel will continue to bring in more skill players in the future.

olblueyes

Steven Hill is the tallest 6' 3" player I have ever witness play the game of basketball. He does not play to his height at all. His defense is average at best for a 7 footer. He was schooled today by Longer Longer (sp) under the basket. Something I noticed today during warm ups that I had not paid any attention to. When he shoots, the ball has a funny side spin on it. The wife and I sat and watched him the entire time during warm ups. The ball either spins around and out or off the front of the rim. He has go to get above the 6"3" player and go after it.
Following, supporting, and rooting the hogs on 24/7 X 365!!!!

blacksuit

Quote from: canonhog on December 15, 2007, 05:35:30 pm
We are a team full of potential.  But that is such a scary word it means we are the best of the worst and th worst of the best. Turnovers have to stop before we can get better . Still pumped over our HOGS though.

Yep, that's why pel's favorite word is OVERACHIEVE. It fits what needs to happen with this team.

Hill has failed to develop. I have him a pass the first couple of years, but the skill simply isn't there. Rebounding is all about hands and guts, and Hill has neither. Part of it is that he's always trying to alter shots, which is good, but it puts him out of position. On offense, his inability to pass or shoot (and sometimes even to catch) is a huge liability.

If I were him, I would have been shooting 5000 free throws a week for the past three years.

Team Oklahoma

Can you imagine how bad we would have got blowed out if Stan was coaching, I think before its over Hill will ride the pines with the redshirt players if we  have any.

12 gauge

hill is just like the other 7 footer we had [ jennings ] , he still thinks he's in high school and his size is all he needs . He will probably follow Jasons footsteps after college to . One year after trying to make a living playing ball he'll be driving a fedex truck too .

bcdeputy

Quote from: pignatious on December 15, 2007, 06:20:58 pm

Agreed.  Another 7 footer that was highly overrated coming out of high school.  Can anyone say Jason Jennings?  or Darnell Robinson? 

IZAHOG

I think you are all right !!! Hill will be sitting by the middle of the SEC season.  He will sub in only when someone needs a breather.

Beaverfever

Yeah I'm sick of having one of these threads after every game.  Steven is just too old and experienced for this.  We get off to a slow start every frickin game and he still starts.  Come on pel.  Put townes or wash in.  They are both scorers and those mins are valuable.

ke2743

Hill Blows.  I have never thought he had what it takes to be a Hog.  He has never shown emotion or even physical ability to wear a Hogs jersey.  So what he is tall and he blocks sometimes.  The guy is about as graceful on the court as a bull in a china store.  His shots are weak, he can't rebound (which he should be dominating the boards), and when he dribbles well thats just awful.  Townes use to rub me the wrong way, but I have been really impressed with his game lately.  I just wish Hill would see how Townes has stepped up and decide to follow in his footsteps. 

BrooklynRoss

Quote from: mosehawg on December 15, 2007, 05:49:41 pm

Yeah. Before last summer I proposed a regiment for Hill that involved alternate workouts one-on-one with Charles Oakley and playing pick-up games at Rucker Park to piss him off and give him that killer instinct. I guess he spent the summer in Branson playing against Andy Williams, Yakoff Smirnoff, and the Jr. Osmond Brothers instead.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

pbbad

Hill is the Matt Jones of basketball. If it happens...it happens, if it don't...it don't. Those two either  let you so very hard, and at other times they can be so exciting to watch.

Modsquad24

mj and hill have nothing in common, mj was awesome most the time and hill is awful most the time

spudhog

Quote from: mosehawg on December 15, 2007, 05:31:48 pm
What is it gonna take for this guy to play to his potential? I mean he is 7FT tall and is nowhere near the top in rebounding...blocks are one thing and can help but where we are getting beat is rebounding! Somebody has got to kick this guy in the butt and get him angry. He plays like he has no heart or something. I for one want the best for him and the team. The just seem like they are going to be underacheivers this year.

i don't think he ever will here. there is just something inside of him that refuses to let go and just play aggressive.

oldfart

I think hill IS playing to his potential.. unfortunately!!

Brownie Tuggle

Steven Hill has been there four years and continues to play like it's year one! a 7 footer who should have no problem averaging 10 points and 10 boards a game.

nightrider388

yeah he just stands there flat footed, no agression, and rarely jumps. I cant recall a time when i seen him jump and pull down a rebound... i wish he had charles thomas attitude and ability. It seems to me he played his whole high school life not having to jump or anything, and that developed him like he is now.

Lieutenant Dan

Quote from: bobetty on December 15, 2007, 05:40:28 pm
and what's up with Hill's wooly mammoth look?  Please.  On a brighter note, Gary Ervin is a Senior, and hopefully Pel can find a point guard who doesn't have a turnover every 3rd time they touch the ball. 

Giant Jesus