Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re: FORUM WIDTH ADJUSTMENT - Too much grass showing? READ THIS!

Started by hognc2010, May 03, 2011, 02:23:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hognc2010

I made the change closed and came back
What I noticed is the width on the home page is not the same as the forum. More grass on the home page
I haven't checked the other sports,for the fans etc...

Doug

Quote from: hognc2010I made the change closed and came back. What I noticed is the width on the home page is not the same as the forum. More grass on the home page. I haven't checked the other sports,for the fans etc...
Did you miss this part of my post?

You can now control the width of the forums themselves
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Thanks. I killed the grass altogether! Take THAT Weed 'n Feed!

DukeOfPork

Doug

I had to do some fine tuning on this functionality (the error log files were getting jacked up again). I am now confident in saying that this works PERFECTLY!
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

porkchopsdontfloat

The world will little note, nor long remember, the debates that distract us from what really matters, but it will remember that we wasted our lives calling strangers on the Internet retarded for liking the wrong things.

GuvHog

Ditto! Now if someone could add a Site size adjustment feature to Fearless Friday, I'd be all set to go.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Doug

Quote from: GUVHOGDitto! Now if someone could add a Site size adjustment feature to Fearless Friday, I'd be all set to go.
I've got a forum upgrade to do over there, so when I do that one, I'll implement this functionality over there.
--Doug

Danny J

old hog

Excellent job, Douglas. Great look to it. Thanks for all the hard work.

GuvHog

Quote from: Douglas on May 03, 2011, 05:09:32 pm
I've got a forum upgrade to do over there, so when I do that one, I'll implement this functionality over there.

Thank you Douglass. I didn't mean to sound like a smart-aleck. Hope I didn't offend you.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

majestic

It's too busy.  I don't like it at all.  The old style was mean and clean.  I'll just have to long for the old days.  But I hate the new layout.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Doug

The old style was also stuck in the 1990's and was not conducive to future growth/expansion plans, plus way too hard to maintain from an administration standpint.  Not to mention, it was DOG slow and archaic.

Even you have to admit that Hogville loads MUCH faster now. Well, the design has a bit to do with that, as does the forum upgrade.  A LOT of coding was optimized, everywhere.

The old design just was not worth it to try to salvage.

In order for Hogville to move to the forefront of all fan sites, a change was needed. :)
--Doug

BA Hogwild

The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

FarmingtonFan

hawgsmellgud

"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

oldbear

Thanks Douglas. I love the changes. I really believe that those that have issues with the style will soon get used to it and forget the old one. You are right about the speed and that alone makes it worth it.

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

John (mrchambo) Chamberlain

Thank you, Douglas!

1500 works great for me on both my home and work laptop...

WPS!

jc

PigPusher

I am logged in. When I click on the profile it showns me the settings but there is no headings for modifying these settings. That is, there is no "Look & Layout" shown on my profile screen. What gives do I have my other settings messed up?
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

The Hawg Marshal

A Hogwork Orange

Worked perfect, using the 1500 option. Gotta say didnt like the change at first, now im starting to love it.

HoginClinton

You can also hold the ctrl key and scroll with your mouse to adjust the width.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Douglas on May 03, 2011, 05:06:48 pm
I had to do some fine tuning on this functionality (the error log files were getting jacked up again). I am now confident in saying that this works PERFECTLY!
Thanks bro. The new upgrade is awesome.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

JFHWGBKRIII

Outstanding!!   This is why this is the best board on the net.  Keep up the great work!! :razorback:

Doug

Quote from: HoginClinton on May 04, 2011, 04:34:20 pm
That affects all sites, though, whereas my coded fix is specific to Hogville.
--Doug

redeye

Hog on the Hill

Quote from: HoginClinton on May 04, 2011, 04:34:20 pm
That doesn't adjust the width, it zooms in/out. 

HoginClinton

Doug

Quote from: HoginClintonBut it does fix the problem.
It's a band aid solution to something that needed stitches.  The change that I did (in the original post) is the correct solution to use. :)
--Doug

nughaud

The green grass still shows up at the bottom of the site, which for some reason slows down my browsing when it's on the screen. The same goes for the top of the screen. When I'm in the middle of the page, it's fine.  For whatever reason, the multiple layers due to the new layout have slowed down, at least on my end my scrolling when reading the site. Before I selected "large" to expand, the site was crawling when I was scrolling. It's faster now, but not as fast as previous.

As far as the new site goes, I like it, but am not sure if the speed issue with scrolling is on my end or on the server side.

Thanks

Doug

Not experiencing any speed issues.  The header portion of the site should be porportionate with the forums.  If you're talking about the main site, in terms of width, the fix above only addresses forum width.

You're the first person to complain about speed issues in a while.  I would suggest that you provide me results of a traceroute to Hogville, or to use WinMTR (google both, please).

I'll do a purge on the error log to see if that helps out a bit.
--Doug

LZH

Douglas....you're my huckleberry!!!  Excellent work buddy, and that goes for all of ya.