Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The two dumbest 4th down decisions I've seen in my life...

Started by hogpc, November 23, 2012, 05:17:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogpc

I've been watching football for over 40 years and today I saw the two dumbest 4th down decisions by a coach I've ever seen - good riddance you dumb@ss!

4th and inches at the goal line and you kick a field goal?!?

4th and 4 from near midfield trailing by 4 and you punt?!?  Not much to gain from that punt, we were lucky to get the ball back.

MiHogsMi

Totally agree. 

Should have gone for the TD.

WE WOULD HAVE WON IT WITH A LAST SECOND FG!!

LEAVE SMITH, LEAVE!
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

westside_player

Quote from: hogpc on November 23, 2012, 05:17:06 pm
I've been watching football for over 40 years and today I saw the two dumbest 4th down decisions by a coach I've ever seen - good riddance you dumb@ss!

4th and 4 from near midfield trailing by 4 and you punt?!?  Not much to gain from that punt, we were lucky to get the ball back.

They weren't bad decisions. 4th and 4 was a 50/50 shot at best. In a high scoring game maybe you go for it, but not there.

The field goal was not bad b/c we were going to have to have more than 7 to win it, we might as well of taken the field goal there.

synthartist69

Yep...

[/quote

Yep...they also abandoned the Knile running game that was working... idiots

sickboy

I also think we stopped running the ball. Knile Davis opened up our offense in the 3rd quarter and then all of a sudden we just stopped running the ball. Then we make two bad calls on 4th down and put ourselves in bad positions. Really bad coaching today.

31to6

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on November 23, 2012, 05:31:00 pm
I also think we stopped running the ball. Knile Davis opened up our offense in the 3rd quarter and then all of a sudden we just stopped running the ball. Then we make two bad calls on 4th down and put ourselves in bad positions. Really bad coaching today.
That's Paul Petrino. He gets overly excited and calls nothing but pass plays all too often.

alohawg

This entire season could be characterized by dumb decisions.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Beantown Razahback

4th and 4 I can live with...goal to go from the 1 was ridiculous. And I totally agree about why we possibly stopped running the ball right when we got Knile going. Totally ridiculous.

PORKULATOR

Plenty of play calls that I can argue but not these two. They were conservative but if our D holds once more we win because of those descisions.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Hogz87

Quote from: sickboy1138.2 on November 23, 2012, 05:31:00 pm
Really bad coaching today.
And, let's be honest with ourselves, that shouldn't surprise anybody since this entire season has been all about really bad coaching.

LA Football fan

Stupid no doubt.  You score a td there and we are kicking the tying field goal and playing overtime right now.

HogSchmog

Agreed - horrible 4th down decision making today.

4th and goal at the 1 yd line...no excuse not to go for the TD.

4th and 4 from the LSU 45 yd line...you either go for the 1st down and a TD to take the lead or they get the ball and have to march down the field (which they did anyway)

Thankfully this jack@ss is on his way out of Fayetteville.

HOGSWEAT

Guys... we're 4-7... we had so much on the line there!!!

Hogeration

JLS had nothing to lose and he got conservative.  By doing that, he took the win out of the player's hands.  The same players that fought their asses off today.  I understand why some say this was ok to do but I don't see it.  It was the final straw stab in the back of these players.

Good game guys.  Sorry your coach took it away from you.

Arkfan

QuoteThey weren't bad decisions.

I agree.

They were terrible decisions especially in hindsight.

If they had scored from the one foot line a field goal would have won it at the end.

hobhog

John L said on post game, "you have to gamble sometimes, which we did today..." WTH? He is truly insane. He didn't attempt ONE gamble all year. What a loser....

FANONTHEHILL

Midfield situation maybe, but a field goal at the 1 leaves you down by 4. You still need a TD. A TD you're 1 yard away from getting. If you defend your decision by saying you " have faith in the defense", then don't you have enough faith to let them come in with LSU on their own 1?  I see no scenario where a 17yd field goal makes sense.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

T-town fan

The more significant "dumb decision" was made  seven months ago. We will forever argue if the action, or reaction doomed this season.
Not where we wanna be but not where we used to be

hogman1974

Seems Jake Bequette agrees:

Jake Bequette ‏@JakeBequette91
Plain and simple, we have to go for it on 4th and goal from the 1 yard line

BartIV

Agree, last game of a losing season, you go for everything.

Hog Waller

Hopefully the boxes for the entire coaching staff were packed before the game...good riddance!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: hobhog on November 23, 2012, 05:50:28 pm
John L said on post game, "you have to gamble sometimes, which we did today..." WTH? He is truly insane. He didn't attempt ONE gamble all year. What a loser....

But he did. On 4th and one foot from around the LSU 40, they called a pass play! It was the wheel route to J Williams, and it worked. Gutsy call, they only needed a foot.
That's what makes the FG decision on 4th and one foot on the goaline impossible to comprehend!
The 4th and 4 from around the 40-45, I probably would have punted as well.

Grunt

"The two dumbest 4th down decisions I've seen in my life..." ABSOFREAKINGKUTELY!
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

OGR69

He'll worst case is we don't get in, give them the ball at the half yard line-sack the qb and get a safety and the ball back.

buldozer

Corganist

In a game where you have to score more than once to win, taking the sure points with 12 or 13 minutes left in the game is not a bad call. If we had whiffed on that red zone trip, then a LSU FG puts the game out of reach completely.

The 4th and 4 call, however, was inexcusable.

Grunt

Quote from: Corganist on November 23, 2012, 11:20:55 pm
In a game where you have to score more than once to win, taking the sure points with 12 or 13 minutes left in the game is not a bad call. If we had whiffed on that red zone trip, then a LSU FG puts the game out of reach completely.

i hated both calls
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

Pork Twain

I think the FG was a good call.  I would say that 90% of the time I see coaches kicking the FG, especially the way our defense had been playing and our offense had been moving the ball. Once we get short yardage like that, we cannot spread the field and LSU has a far superior line.  The punt on the other hand, I would have ran the play where we had a couple of crossing routes and one curl or slant to pick it up.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

razorbackcpa

Quote from: Corganist on November 23, 2012, 11:20:55 pm

Do you know how many times Les Miles has won games by making the tough calls? Faking the field goal to get the touchdown, going for it on fourth and goal...these are the things that win games. You don't play conservatively when you have nothing to lose.

pigture perfect

Agree, those were atrocious calls. I'm trying to use adjectives I've not seen on here in a while.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Ugly Uncle

If you kick the field goal you still have to score a TD to win.  If we get the TD the game is tied and we have all of the momentum.  If we don't make it LSU is pinned inside their one.  There is absolutely no logical reason for kicking that field goal.  No rational reason to not go for the TD.  I was YELLING, "TIME OUT!!!  TIME OUT!!! Our coach doesn't mean it!  He is really not this stupid!"  Well, turns out he is.
Retired Radio Host

Pork Twain

If you kick the field goal and score a TD then you win.  If you do not kick the FG, go for it and do not make it then LSU has the ball and the lead and you do not have jack shirt.  How many times do you guys here people say, you have to come away with points?  I am no way defending that idiot but I still think that was the smart call.  LSU's line owns us and when we are on the 1 yd line we cannot spread the field against them and get our guys open across the middle.  We saw the same thing every game BP coached against the big boys.  We cannot meet them head-to-head and win.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Tejano Jawg

Here's the thing...we don't have the talent to line up and beat LSU.

The madman Lester Miles, against a strong opponent, will unload the craziest gambles you've ever seen. But today, against the worst Arkansas team he's ever seen, we've rarely seen him so conservative. So we needed to take advantage of this and be the one to take some chances.

This wasn't exactly a chess game. More like "go fish." Our early turnovers should have forced our hand. It hurts to think about how glorious a post-game Les Miles presser would have been had he lost. He really wanted to give us this game, but John L just didn't have the balls to take it.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

razorbackcpa

Quote from: BeoPig™ on November 23, 2012, 11:44:30 pm
If you kick the field goal and score a TD then you win.  If you do not kick the FG, go for it and do not make it then LSU has the ball and the lead and you do not have jack shirt.  How many times do you guys here people say, you have to come away with points?  I am no way defending that idiot but I still think that was the smart call.  LSU's line owns us and when we are on the 1 yd line we cannot spread the field against them and get our guys open across the middle.  We saw the same thing every game BP coached against the big boys.  We cannot meet them head-to-head and win.

I hope you're not in the running to be our next coach, then.

Pork Twain

Quote from: razorbackcpa on November 23, 2012, 11:48:53 pm
I hope you're not in the running to be our next coach, then.
If I was, I would hire some great recruiting assistants.

Did you not watch our team when BP was here?  We were not really known for being able to run the ball over people.  That has not changed

deucea729

You guys, the 1-yard line is being generous to JLS.  We were freaking 18 inches from pay dirt. Go back and watch the replay.

And how is a FG any more of a given than picking up 18 inches?  Bad snap, blocked kick, botched kick - anything could've happened there, and especially so with a new kicker in the game!  I'd love to know the true percentages on that.  But the decision is even worse knowing we had nothing but the seniors' last game on the line there.

Of course, JLS has demonstrated that he sometimes has trouble processing risk-reward scenarios.  Seems like a nice guy, but I'm glad that his time coaching here is done.

McHogLovin

Quote from: AR Taco04 on November 23, 2012, 05:42:26 pm
Guys... we're 4-7... we had so much on the line there!!!

We were playing a team that kept us out of the BCS last year and ran the score up in doing so.  You do everything you can to return the favor.  We weren't gonna give them an ass whoopin, but we coulda sent them to a crappy bowl as they would have fallen below aTm, USC, and left them behind Florida and Georgia for good.  We could have destroyed their season. I would have taken something away from that. 

Caudle

JLS = idiot. Trying hard to work his way up to imbecile.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: Beantown Razahback on November 23, 2012, 05:33:19 pm
4th and 4 I can live with...goal to go from the 1 was ridiculous. And I totally agree about why we possibly stopped running the ball right when we got Knile going. Totally ridiculous.

Tyler never should have kept the ball when you have Knile and Johnson in the backfield. If you want Tyler to take it in show a passing play to spread them out.
Actually the ball was on the half yard line. They should have went for the TD.

4Th and 4 was good decision because our defense was doing their job by stopping LSU's offense and the the Hogs were having a hard time moving the ball otherwise they would have made the first down on 3rd down. I can live with that call.

The time out taken I didn't like but I believe the coach thought that Tyler would not hike the ball in time so he called the time out. I blame Tyler for that. He should have had the team ready.

peakhog

It's not Tyler's fault when the coach sends in the play with :14 on the play clock. I thought we were through with that kinda crap with Nutt! Why do you think Tyler was screaming at the bench when that came over for the time out?

deucea729

Other side of the coin: even getting stuffed there sets up LSU at their half-yard line. Anything can happen from there - maybe even the D getting some points.

But back to the play, who said that we had to go mano-a-mano on the line with a "smashmouth" play to score a TD there?  You're saying that there's not a play in the entire playbook that could get us half a yard? Couldn't Tyler have just laid over the line after taking the snap?

In other news, I thought the 3rd down call of a rollout pass on the half-yard line was a disaster.  Should've plowed on in then.

BigHog883

Hey guys, first time on this site but a long time die hard Hog fan. I agree that the fg on the 1 yard line was a horrible call. People keep saying we needed two scores to win anyway so it was a good call. Well, we only needed a touchdown to go into overtime and that would have extended the game and gave us a even better shot at winning. If memory serves me right, we have usually been good in overtime. I can understand the punt on 4th and 5 though. Imagine what might have happened if we had made the two missed field goals in first half. Anyway, I hope the new coach is a better play caller.

moses_007

Ugly Uncle

As far as BP being owned on the one...well, I don't know the stats for that.  However, in the red zone Arkansas ranks 117 in redzone scoring at 69%.

Last year we were 36 with an average of 85% and the year before we had a percentage of 88%.  BP was significantly better at calling scoring plays down close.
Retired Radio Host

moses_007

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 24, 2012, 12:26:41 am
As far as BP being owned on the one...well, I don't know the stats for that.  However, in the red zone Arkansas ranks 117 in redzone scoring at 69%.

Last year we were 36 with an average of 85% and the year before we had a percentage of 88%.  BP was significantly better at calling scoring plays down close.

BP was significantly better calling plays, period.

LZH

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on November 23, 2012, 11:39:55 pm
If you kick the field goal you still have to score a TD to win.  If we get the TD the game is tied and we have all of the momentum.  If we don't make it LSU is pinned inside their one.  There is absolutely no logical reason for kicking that field goal.  No rational reason to not go for the TD.  I was YELLING, "TIME OUT!!!  TIME OUT!!! Our coach doesn't mean it!  He is really not this stupid!"  Well, turns out he is.

Big-time college coaches make big money for a reason...they ALL know this without thinking..............except ours.

There is NO EXCUSE for the FG try on 4th & 1...NONE.

I bet JLS is still up swiggin' champagne with Diana, whistling and grinnin', singing "it's all over now".  (We should be too, for that matter).

jaxhawgfan

The same players that fought TO MAKE JOHN L THEIR COACH AFTER CBPS DISMISSAL.I understand why some say this was ok to do but I don't see it.  It was the final straw stab in the back of these players.

Good game guys.  Sorry your coach took it away from you.

There you go,FIXED that for YA!!

sickboy

You're missing the point. Football is about control. Going for the field goal gave LSU control of the game.

Kicking the field goal is the same as going for it and not getting the touchdown the only difference is if you manage to score before the end of the game you win instead of going to overtime. However, getting the field goal still makes it LSU's game to lose. They control the game. Play defense...they win. LSU's strength is defense. Doubly dumb to play to their strength.

If you go for it and get the TD then you neutralize control by tieing the game. Then it's up to your players to execute to win the game. What's sad is that our players did. Our defense held LSU and had we gone for the TD and scored we might have had a shot at them in OT.

When you have a chance to neutralize control of the game and the risk is giving up possession on your one...you take those odds every time. Especially against a defensive minded team.