Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RPI

Started by root_hawg, December 13, 2015, 09:10:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

root_hawg

ESPN had us at 118th and 10th in the conference

TomBigBeeHog

RPI will definitely improve. Not an issue right now.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

King Kong

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on December 13, 2015, 08:15:10 am
Actually it had us at 4-4 so I don't think it has included last night's win yet.  I also don't think we were #45 prior.  OP may have been looking at the wrong sport or year maybe.

Yeah, no chance we were even close to 45 in anyone's RPI

hoglady

While I was looking at the different RPI sites I was surprised to see how high (top 15) UALR is right now.
I watched them kill DePaul on the road last night.
Hogs can improve that RPI once conference play starts.
Lots of SEC teams with decent RPI's this year unlike some previous years.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

wheelspigharvey

Currently at #135 on Realtime RPI and #89 on KenPom.

SleepyJ

That's ualr that was 45 there number 10 now...

HoopS

They've beaten

San Diego St (5-4) 111
E Carolina (5-4) 206
Tulsa (6-3) 41
UCA (1-7) 204
Idaho (5-5) 143
DePaul (5-4) 155
UCA again (1-7) 204

How that gets them an RPI ranking of 8th I have no idea.

They will fall.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on December 14, 2015, 08:33:53 am
They've beaten

San Diego St (5-4) 111
E Carolina (5-4) 206
Tulsa (6-3) 41
UCA (1-7) 204
Idaho (5-5) 143
DePaul (5-4) 155
UCA again (1-7) 204

They will fall.

I don't know, will they? They beat SDSU, Tulsa, Idaho and DePaul on the road. Those aren't exactly titans, but how many Sun Belt teams are they going to struggle with? The Trojans are going to have a very good season. Wins well into the 20s. Their RPI should stay very respectable.

I get that their RPI will probably drop a little, but they have to be considered the heavy favorite in the Sun Belt and look to be a very strong road team. I don't see them, as a team, really falling.

hoglady

They've beaten

San Diego St (5-4) 111
E Carolina (5-4) 206
Tulsa (6-3) 41
UCA (1-7) 204
Idaho (5-5) 143
DePaul (5-4) 155
UCA again (1-7) 204

They will fall.

Of course they will - how far will depend on what the other teams in the Sunbelt have done.
But you've got to be impressed with what Chris Beard is doing at UALR this year - their defense is really, really good.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Hawg Red

Quote from: hoglady on December 14, 2015, 09:14:24 am
Of course they will - how far will depend on what the other teams in the Sunbelt have done.
But you've got to be impressed with what Chris Beard is doing at UALR this year - their defense is really, really good.

Unfortunately for the Trojans, he may not be there long. He's a serious coach and recruiter. Bob Knight product.

HoopS

I don't dislike them and will in fact pull for them to do well. I'm just saying that I don't see how they're that high given the SOS and that it'll catch up in conference play and they'll start to slide. But it is strange to me that that schedule has them this high.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 14, 2015, 09:16:23 am
Unfortunately for the Trojans, he may not be there long. He's a serious coach and recruiter. Bob Knight product.
He must be, got 10 new guys, and they are some serious players. That Johnson kid was Juco AA and plays like he is Stefan Moody. As with Moody I know it was a size question but a lot of P5 teams missed out on that cat! I think they may brutalize the Sun Belt, they may get in the top 25 and stay there. I mean they beat down SDSU there, and SDSU turns around a couple days later and destroys Cal! That was a big time win! then to continue on and take out Tulsa and Depaul on the road, you have to feel like this team is for real and that coach is for real.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 14, 2015, 10:12:19 am
He must be, got 10 new guys, and they are some serious players. That Johnson kid was Juco AA and plays like he is Stefan Moody. As with Moody I know it was a size question but a lot of P5 teams missed out on that cat! I think they may brutalize the Sun Belt, they may get in the top 25 and stay there. I mean they beat down SDSU there, and SDSU turns around a couple days later and destroys Cal! That was a big time win! then to continue on and take out Tulsa and Depaul on the road, you have to feel like this team is for real and that coach is for real.

The thing about that DePaul is is that DePaul isn't all that good, but the Trojans went in there and beat them by 22 points. That's impressive. I don't know if the Hogs could go to DePaul and win by 22.

Beard, at one point, had a top 100 player for the class 2016 committed to LR, but that player recently de-committed. That's some pull, even if it didn't stick.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 14, 2015, 09:14:32 am
I don't know, will they? They beat SDSU, Tulsa, Idaho and DePaul on the road. Those aren't exactly titans, but how many Sun Belt teams are they going to struggle with? The Trojans are going to have a very good season. Wins well into the 20s. Their RPI should stay very respectable.

I get that their RPI will probably drop a little, but they have to be considered the heavy favorite in the Sun Belt and look to be a very strong road team. I don't see them, as a team, really falling.

The team tries to play patient offense and strong physical defense.  Reminds you of Eddie Sutton style.
The one game I watched on tv they seem to have tough physical kids who fits the system.  But do they have the over all talent to play against the best 35 in the nation and have that same record?  I don't think so but good luck to them and hope they win the Sun Belt and do well in the T.

Hawg Red

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 14, 2015, 10:31:27 am
The team tries to play patient offense and strong physical defense.  Reminds you of Eddie Sutton style.
The one game I watched on tv they seem to have tough physical kids who fits the system.  But do they have the over all talent to play against the best 35 in the nation and have that same record?  I don't think so but good luck to them and hope they win the Sun Belt and do well in the T.

No, of course they don't. But they have the talent and discipline to dominate the Sun Belt and maybe pick someone off if they made the NCAAT.

Supermark101

They've beaten

San Diego St (5-4) 111
E Carolina (5-4) 206
Tulsa (6-3) 41
UCA (1-7) 204
Idaho (5-5) 143
DePaul (5-4) 155
UCA again (1-7) 204

They will fall.

RPI is skewed for playing games on the road. A lose on the road is the same as a win at home.

http://rpiratings.com/WhatisRPI.php

"Factor I is the team's Division I winning percentage and is 25 percent of the RPI. Games against non-Division I opponents are not included in the normal RPI. For the men, beginning in 2004-05, and for the women, beginning in 2011-12, home wins are weighted 0.6, neutral wins 1.0, and road wins count 1.4, and road losses are 0.6, neutral losses 1.0, and home losses 1.4."

opineonswine

It would appear that RPI will be irrelevant to us this year, though I find no fault with hoping and wishing. 

MICHAELSPAPPY

Little Rock has won this year by smothering defense, very few turnovers, and making FTs.

As of this morning;
We lead Division 1 in Scoring Defense
We are 2nd in FT%
We are 4th in Turnover Margin.
We are 11th in FG% Defense (Opponents shoot only 36% against us)

Only one healthy big guy, but so far we have made it work.

yraciv

Can someone explain why they'd schedule UCA twice in nonconference? That is a RPI killer the first time, a second is just brutal.

Supermark101

Quote from: yraciv on December 15, 2015, 01:01:41 pm
Can someone explain why they'd schedule UCA twice in nonconference? That is a RPI killer the first time, a second is just brutal.

The U of A will not play them....

HoopS

Quote from: Supermark101 on December 15, 2015, 01:11:18 pm
The U of A will not play them....
I'n sure they never will either but it is still off they scheduled UCA twice.

Hawg Red

Second game is a road game, so if they win, I'd imagine that will be a net plus for them.

Philip Seaton

Because they are 30 minutes down the road and easier for both fans to get to both places, hence more fannies in the seats.

hoglady

Look at UCA's non-conference schedule.
Oklahoma, Pittsburgh, UMass, Rutgers, Arkansas St and Lamar - then UALR twice.
Ambitious to say the least.

HoopS

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 15, 2015, 01:14:44 pm
Second game is a road game, so if they win, I'd imagine that will be a net plus for them.
makes sense

yraciv

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 15, 2015, 01:14:44 pm

I don't think ever beating UCA is a net plus, although UALR probably doesn't think on those terms since they are a 1 bid league. UCA's RPI is routinely in the high 200s & lower 300s.  Scheduling them means you are usually losing ground.

yraciv

Quote from: Philip Seaton on December 15, 2015, 02:14:35 pm
Because they are 30 minutes down the road and easier for both fans to get to both places, hence more fannies in the seats.

I'd imagine this is a fill in game and someone backed out on them last minute.  In general, you don't schedule a home & home with a team down the road from you in the same season, much less 2 weeks later.

hoglady

When you look at UALR's AD it makes perfect sense - close ties.
Clint Conque's son Chasse is the AD.
Conque was UCA's football coach for 13 years.
No complaints about it - just a possible explanation.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Playing in the Sun Belt, the odds of an at-large are virtually nil, so RPI is of secondary importance.. Getting a nice low-cost local rivalry that will fill a few seats is a bigger deal.

Hawg Red

Quote from: yraciv on December 15, 2015, 02:49:08 pm
I don't think ever beating UCA is a net plus, although UALR probably doesn't think on those terms since they are a 1 bid league. UCA's RPI is routinely in the high 200s & lower 300s.  Scheduling them means you are usually losing ground.

So you are telling me, with a win by LR, that their RPI will go down?

I'm telling you it goes up.

yraciv

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 16, 2015, 06:41:00 am

Currently with UCA at 204 if it goes up it will be minimal. When UCA settles in to their typical around 300 range it will be a net loss. The equation is 25% your team win %, 50% your opponents win %, and 25% your opponents, opponents win%.  It is currently at .6648.  Obviously other opponents results effect it as well, but I bet that number goes down in the morning when you put UCA's win percentage in the equation a 2nd time.  Obviously other opponent results have some effect as well, but I'll look again when it is updated.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Little Rock  goes to 9-0.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: yraciv on December 16, 2015, 07:53:27 pm
Currently with UCA at 204 if it goes up it will be minimal. When UCA settles in to their typical around 300 range it will be a net loss. The equation is 25% your team win %, 50% your opponents win %, and 25% your opponents, opponents win%.  It is currently at .6648.  Obviously other opponents results effect it as well, but I bet that number goes down in the morning when you put UCA's win percentage in the equation a 2nd time.  Obviously other opponent results have some effect as well, but I'll look again when it is updated.

Or it could stay about the same and another team's score increases and you get jumped over in the rankings, right?

hogman99

Quote from: hoglady on December 13, 2015, 01:21:01 pm
While I was looking at the different RPI sites I was surprised to see how high (top 15) UALR is right now.

The Little Rock Trojans are very good. Watched them play in person a couple of times and there is no wasted motion in what they do. Great defense, excellent offensive scheme and very quick guards who can shoot. Their coach was an assistant for Bobby Knight for 7 years and they are a well coached team. He will be a hot commodity in the near future.

yraciv

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on December 17, 2015, 08:29:55 am
Or it could stay about the same and another team's score increases and you get jumped over in the rankings, right?

It went down to .6442, and that is after a win on the road to 190 UCA.  Obviously the RPI's aren't real fluent now and as UCA continues to slide, the value of those wins will decline.

yraciv

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 16, 2015, 06:41:00 am

See above
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

HoopS

They've beaten

San Diego St (5-4) 111
E Carolina (5-4) 206
Tulsa (6-3) 41
UCA (1-7) 204
Idaho (5-5) 143
DePaul (5-4) 155
UCA again (1-7) 204

They will fall.

hoglady

Quote from: hogman99 on December 17, 2015, 09:44:09 pm
The Little Rock Trojans are very good. Watched them play in person a couple of times and there is no wasted motion in what they do. Great defense, excellent offensive scheme and very quick guards who can shoot. Their coach was an assistant for Bobby Knight for 7 years and they are a well coached team. He will be a hot commodity in the near future.

Going to watch them Sunday at 1:00 play No. Arizona.
Basketball filled weekend. Hogs Saturday night - Trojans on Sunday. I'll probably stay and watch the Trojan women after the men's game.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hoglady on December 18, 2015, 09:47:34 am
Going to watch them Sunday at 1:00 play No. Arizona.
Basketball filled weekend. Hogs Saturday night - Trojans on Sunday. I'll probably stay and watch the Trojan women after the men's game.

Would love to have caught the Trojans while in town this weekend. I do intend to catch a game later this year. How much are the tickets?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hawg Red

Quote from: yraciv on December 17, 2015, 10:20:54 pm
It went down to .6442, and that is after a win on the road to 190 UCA.  Obviously the RPI's aren't real fluent now and as UCA continues to slide, the value of those wins will decline.

Congrats. You were right. LR's RPI did go down 0.0206 after updating from 6-0 to 9-0.

hoglady

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on December 18, 2015, 10:22:21 am
Would love to have caught the Trojans while in town this weekend. I do intend to catch a game later this year. How much are the tickets?

They range in price from $7 (endzone bleacher) to $50 for courtside floor.
You can get chair back for $13 to $17 and I think leather chair back for around $25.
If you've never been to Jack Stephens Center you should go.
It's a great facility, seats are close to the court and not really a bad seat in the house.
Heck if it wasn't a Sunday game - you could have a beer and watch the game.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hoglady on December 18, 2015, 11:15:54 am
They range in price from $7 (endzone bleacher) to $50 for courtside floor.
You can get chair back for $13 to $17 and I think leather chair back for around $25.
If you've never been to Jack Stephens Center you should go.
It's a great facility, seats are close to the court and not really a bad seat in the house.
Heck if it wasn't a Sunday game - you could have a beer and watch the game.

Thanks for the info. +1

GolfNut57

As bad as Brady has the ASU team playing I fully expect the Red Wolves to be swept by UALR this year. And it won't shock me if UCA also beats ASU this winter. ASU will be lucky to win ten games this season. Only thing to look forward to now who they will get to replace Brady at the end of the season. I have seen rumors that some assistants from some top ten programs have expressed interest in coming to Jonesboro but have seen no names mentioned.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 18, 2015, 08:13:04 pm
As bad as Brady has the ASU team playing I fully expect the Red Wolves to be swept by UALR this year. And it won't shock me if UCA also beats ASU this winter. ASU will be lucky to win ten games this season. Only thing to look forward to now who they will get to replace Brady at the end of the season. I have seen rumors that some assistants from some top ten programs have expressed interest in coming to Jonesboro but have seen no names mentioned.

TJ Cleveland could build a winner there.

MICHAELSPAPPY

Trojans went to 10-0 with a win over another bottom-feeder, Northern Arizona. Next up, Tubby Smith and Texas Tech at Lubbock.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on December 18, 2015, 10:05:33 pm
TJ Cleveland could build a winner there.

He probably needs to help build a winner here first.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hoglady on December 13, 2015, 01:21:01 pm

Noticed that.  Made me wonder where the conference's RPI overall fell.

I also was surprised to see the high RPI for UALR.  Knew they were off to a great start, but didn't realize how great until now.

It's also pretty clear why ASU felt like it was time to part with Brady.  Surprised that he didn't do more in Jonesboro, and that they gave him 8 years at this clip.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Philip Seaton on December 15, 2015, 02:14:35 pm

Plus both programs are trying to drum up local interest.  I think the UCA/UALR home and home is a great idea. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

jbcarol

AP Top 25 ‏@AP_Top25 23m23 minutes ago

AP Poll: #MichiganSt #Kansast #OKlahoma still 1-2-3 in men's Top 25; shakeup from 4-10 after slew of upsets #BigEast http://apne.ws/1J2aRmP

Others Receiving Votes: UCLA 49, Connecticut 46, Oregon 34, Gonzaga 33, Colorado 27, Dayton 17, Pittsburgh 16, Northern Iowa 15, AR Little Rock 14, Vanderbilt 8, Monmouth 6, Iowa 5, Texas 3, Florida 3, Northwestern 2

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net