Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hope

Started by Razorfox, March 19, 2018, 08:12:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorfox

I divide the college basketball world into four general categories:

1)   Teams that are almost always good to great, i.e. Duke, UK, Mich St, etc.
2)   Teams with large swings from bad to good with a lot of fluctuation along the way.  I think of programs like Tennessee or Auburn from the SEC, who aren't necessarily consistent, but at least have some really good seasons every once in a while along with some mediocre to poor ones.
3)   Always sub-par, with little a lot of coaching turnover.
4)   Always mediocre to slightly better than mediocre, i.e. Arkansas under Coach Anderson

In the first category, those programs always have hope, for obvious reasons.  In the second, they have hope because it seems that even when things don't go well for a period of time, they know that right around the corner, they should have an excellent season.  In the third category, those programs have constant turnover, which in and of itself gives a certain level of hope that maybe, just maybe things might get better.  Then, there is the final category where, to me, there is the least hope.  The results don't vary a great deal from season to season at mediocre, but also there is no hope of anything changing because it's just good enough to cause no turnover or significant changes. 

I'm almost past the point of believing it's even possible for us to luck into a great season.  It would have happened already (in the last 20+ years).  I know it's caused me to lose interest over the years.  I used to never miss games on TV, but now I miss them constantly even though I could watch almost all of them. 

Does anyone else feel this way? 

Kevin

all hope is lost, that the program will ever bring home a trophy of any kind under anderson
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TrueBlue

Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

BannerMountainMan

Neither Tennessee or Auburn made the sweet sixteen this year either, they won 2 or 3 more regular season games than the Hogs but still haven't passed that mediocre round of 32 soooo
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

jst01

Arkansas fans are some of the most gullible people in this world. A coach can tell them anything, and if it's repeated by the media, they will take it as a fact! Done deal!

We are made for this time of year. Recruiting is strong. Practice facilities are holding us back. We will be known for defense. We will never lack in effort. AR is a basketball school. Every successful team is cheating. "Insert perineal power" lost too so it's not just AR.

Can't wait to hear the new theme this offseason that will convince fans that this year 8 will be different.

Razorfox

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 19, 2018, 08:21:51 am
Neither Tennessee or Auburn made the sweet sixteen this year either, they won 2 or 3 more regular season games than the Hogs but still haven't passed that mediocre round of 32 soooo

They've both won at least two conference titles since we have.  Yes, the NCAA tournament run is awesome, but I would even take some true SEC conference success at this point. 

Ironhawg

Quote from: jst01 on March 19, 2018, 08:24:08 am
Arkansas fans are some of the most gullible people in this world. A coach can tell them anything, and if it's repeated by the media, they will take it as a fact! Done deal!

We are made for this time of year. Recruiting is strong. Practice facilities are holding us back. We will be known for defense. We will never lack in effort. AR is a basketball school. Every successful team is cheating. "Insert perineal power" lost too so it's not just AR.

Can't wait to hear the new theme this offseason that will convince fans that this year 8 will be different.

I'm mentally preparing myself to repeatedly hear "we're just so young."

steveaustin69

Hope.
In year 8.
Hope is what we're selling.
What a freaking joke.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 08:42:59 am
Hope.
In year 8.
Hope is what we're selling.
What a freaking joke.
Yes, but a free order of nostalgia comes with it.

Großer Kriegschwein

Until the PTB realize that our future success in basketball is absolutely not related in any way shape or form to our success from over two decades ago, we'll be stuck right here in no-mans land.
This is my non-signature signature.