Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing the attrition?

Started by onebadrubi, August 18, 2017, 09:36:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Help me with something I was thinking last night have a few Kobeers. 

Since Bielema has arrived, each and every year we see graduations, draft eligible early departures, and troubled attrition or others leaving for whatever reason.  This is the world of college football and no problems there or anything. 

So on to what I am in search of.  Except for maybe 1-2 positions, has Bielema not replaced every position he walked in here with someone better, and I mean each time? 

Some examples on offense, Jwill was back filled by Collins, Williams, Whaley.  BA by AA, and by all accounts the ones behind him are looking really good.  WR's appear stellar, TE's appear also improvement.  He walked in to a top Center in Swanson but besides that one he's gone out and replaced with better without argument, right?

Let's move to defense, the one I can't really think of without having a lapse in time is replacing Flowers?  But everywhere else he has replaced on defense better, correct?

Lets change the narrative a little bit, tweak it if you may.  Has his own recruiting in the 4-5 years of recruiting taken any steps back?  Meaning has he not followed up a good recruit with another?  The only example I can again think of would be on defense and that being Speight which ended up being a stud and we had a small lapse in replacing that stud but I think we have that in Scoota harris.  But besides that lapse in his recruiting, what holes have I missed in my Kobeer thoughts?

Some good food for thought...

Großer Kriegschwein

I can't wait to see how good the underclassman receivers get after 3 years of success. God knows that the light bulb came on during Brandon's senior year.

The further away from Chaney we get, the better they seem to get. Maybe not related, but possibly are.

One thing is for certain, all the hype that Eason is getting at Georgia will soon be grounded in the reality of Chaney being a mediocre QBs Coach.

Then there's this:

It goes without saying that first-year coordinator Jim Chaney took a ton of heat in 2016. Among SEC teams, his unit ranked 11th in scoring (24.5 points per game), 11th in total offense (385 yards per game) and 11th in yards per play (5.44). That's the definition of mediocrity. Considering Georgia had two NFL-caliber backs on its roster, averaging 4.66 yards per carry is especially amazing.

https://www.seccountry.com/georgia/georgia-bulldogs-football-jim-chaney-offense-2017
This is my non-signature signature.

azhog10

He has not replaced Flowers in any way. Flowers was a CBP recruit. I also question if he has replaced CBP's DB's with better. Not that we had great players to being with but I don't see what we have now as an upgrade.

Would argue that we have replaced our WR's from CBPs time here. But maybe our WRs have gotten better each year so I can agree with that. QB's okay, OL is 50/50 to me, but I'll give the nod to CBB. I do think we have gotten better RBs overall, although I think JWill is still as good as AC or any other back we have right now. Chase Hayden being the possible "one off" to be definitely better.

So not really, I think we have replaced these guys with a very similar in overall talent as before.

P.S. I'm pretty sure CBB doesn't have a lot of attrition. Compared to CBP, CBB has done a phenomenal job in terms of attrition.

Cinco de Hogo

Did your Kobeers give you any indication what our record will be this year?   

If we are better at every position you would think....

onebadrubi

Quote from: azhog10 on August 18, 2017, 09:48:39 am
He has not replaced Flowers in any way. Flowers was a CBP recruit. I also question if he has replaced CBP's DB's with better. Not that we had great players to being with but I don't see what we have now as an upgrade.

Would argue that we have replaced our WR's from CBPs time here. But maybe our WRs have gotten better each year so I can agree with that. QB's okay, OL is 50/50 to me, but I'll give the nod to CBB. I do think we have gotten better RBs overall, although I think JWill is still as good as AC or any other back we have right now. Chase Hayden being the possible "one off" to be definitely better.

So not really, I think we have replaced these guys with a very similar in overall talent as before.

P.S. I'm pretty sure CBB doesn't have a lot of attrition. Compared to CBP, CBB has done a phenomenal job in terms of attrition.

Wasn't Toliver a CBB recruit?  Toliver and Pulley are your two CB's, besides those two CBP recruits Dean and Collins have solidified those positions up until now.  Toliver and Pulley are GREAT to backfill those two positions, IMO. 

I am not really aiming for this thread to turn into a CBP vs CBB thread.  I am actually looking for the holes that CBB has not filled with more talent than the previous year so to say.  Center after swanson is one.  LT has pretty much been a hole here for years.  Whaley is a great replacement for Jwill, I honestly believe so many on here like hayden so much at htis moment just like they like the backup QB after the first int, he's new. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on August 18, 2017, 09:53:02 am
Did your Kobeers give you any indication what our record will be this year?   

If we are better at every position you would think....

I only make those assumptions at a ticket window in vegas. 

carolinahogger

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 18, 2017, 09:36:10 am

Let's move to defense, the one I can't really think of without having a lapse in time is replacing Flowers?  But everywhere else he has replaced on defense better, correct?

Last season's defense was better than what, exactly?  Don't bother to place the blame on the scheme.  BB is the head coach.  The buck stops there.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: azhog10 on August 18, 2017, 09:48:39 am

#1 The fact that Flowers was a CBP recruit was understood and influential into the meaning of the OP by stating him as an exception to recruiting improvements. if you were gonna argue at all Hunter Henry would have been a better example..

#2 Just wait and see what those 2 freshmen starting in the defensive backfield do this year. People are going to credit Paul Rhodes and the scheme for just some of what these two are bringing.

It's going to be a special year, but the same guys calling for CBB's head are going to blame him for our only loss and Sugar Bowl appearance this year without giving up one bit of praise for the turn around. They will swear CBP would have won it all...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

onebadrubi

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 18, 2017, 10:39:00 am
#1 The fact that Flowers was a CBP recruit was understood and influential into the meaning of the OP by stating him as an exception to recruiting improvements. if you were gonna argue at all Hunter Henry would have been a better example..

#2 Just wait and see what those 2 freshmen starting in the defensive backfield do this year. People are going to credit Paul Rhodes and the scheme for just some of what these two are bringing.

It's going to be a special year, but the same guys calling for CBB's head are going to blame him for our only loss and Sugar Bowl appearance this year without giving up one bit of praise for the turn around. They will swear CBP would have won it all...

I'm glad someone actually comprehended the point here. 

BigE_23

Quote from: onebadrubi on August 18, 2017, 09:36:10 am
Help me with something I was thinking last night have a few Kobeers. 

Since Bielema has arrived, each and every year we see graduations, draft eligible early departures, and troubled attrition or others leaving for whatever reason.  This is the world of college football and no problems there or anything. 

So on to what I am in search of.  Except for maybe 1-2 positions, has Bielema not replaced every position he walked in here with someone better, and I mean each time? 

Some examples on offense, Jwill was back filled by Collins, Williams, Whaley.  BA by AA, and by all accounts the ones behind him are looking really good.  WR's appear stellar, TE's appear also improvement.  He walked in to a top Center in Swanson but besides that one he's gone out and replaced with better without argument, right?

Lets change the narrative a little bit, tweak it if you may.  Has his own recruiting in the 4-5 years of recruiting taken any steps back?  Meaning has he not followed up a good recruit with another?  The only example I can again think of would be on defense and that being Speight which ended up being a stud and we had a small lapse in replacing that stud but I think we have that in Scoota harris.  But besides that lapse in his recruiting, what holes have I missed in my Kobeer thoughts?

Some good food for thought...

I don't think anyone can disagree with this assessment. You're spot on 100% IMO.

However, this is the reason why many, including myself, are frustrated with CBB. We've left wins on the schedule every year. The talent is there, but something else is missing. He's recruiting and even developing talent well. What still remains in question is whether or not he can translate that into wins. He may be running out of time to prove that.

factchecker

In regards to defense, Bielema recruited, offered, and signed the best linebacker we've had in a while.  Matrell Spaight.   Sadly he was only here two years because he had to go the JUCO route first.

He wasn't even offered by Petrino:

QuoteSpaight's brother Mark, who is two years older than him, played at Southern Arkansas. Martrell Spaight was going to join him, but went to Coffeyville Community College instead. Eventually he impressed new Arkansas coach Bret Bielema; the previous staff under head coach Bobby Petrino did not want him.

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/17500/martrell-spaight-driven-by-brother
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

onebadrubi

Quote from: factchecker on August 18, 2017, 10:47:21 am
In regards to defense, Bielema recruited, offered, and signed the best linebacker we've had in a while.  Matrell Spaight.   Sadly he was only here two years because he had to go the JUCO route first.

He wasn't even offered by Petrino:

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/17500/martrell-spaight-driven-by-brother

It should also be noticed a year or two ago, BB said one of his biggest regrest was not RS Spaight to have him on the field performing like that for 2 years. 

jgphillips3

Bielema has replaced talent with similar or slightly better talent at every position.  Our recruiting rankings are remarkably (and sadly) consistent.  The 5 star studs like DMAC, Mallett, Sosa and such only come along every few years in Arkansas so it's really not fair to compare replacing once in a generation level Arkansas talent.  Overall, CBB gets an B for attrition and replacing.  The fact we only have 13-17 slots available this year tells you that.  His errors have been in coaching hires and I believe in every instance he has hired as good or better after he got rid of the mistake.

Hawgphat

I see no reason to fault Bielema's replacement recruits.  He appears to be very actively making every effort to recruit the highest available quality players  to fill our needs - in the mold of his particular criteria and profile preference.  He's had some success in getting the jump on some under-the-radar jewels,out-hustling and outgunning the high-profile conference big dogs in that regard.  The five-star recruits - by and large - give Arkansas the finger in flocking to the upper echelon, premier programs, - - - but Bielema has had an appreciable degree of success in procuring the best available talent for our specific needs.

The Alabamas, LSUs, Auburns, Georgias and Tennesees of the college football world have the enviable advantage of having their pick of the cream of the crop talent each succeeding year.  The differential in the raw talent level of the star-rating system MUST be compensated for by superb coaching.

The coaches cannot go out onto the field and play in the games.  They are obliged to "coach up" the best available players, send them out to do battle, - - - and cross their fingers and toes.

Headhog32

Quote from: Hawgphat on August 18, 2017, 11:59:28 am
I see no reason to fault Bielema's replacement recruits.  He appears to be very actively making every effort to recruit the highest available quality players  to fill our needs - in the mold of his particular criteria and profile preference.  He's had some success in getting the jump on some under-the-radar jewels,out-hustling and outgunning the high-profile conference big dogs in that regard.  The five-star recruits - by and large - give Arkansas the finger in flocking to the upper echelon, premier programs, - - - but Bielema has had an appreciable degree of success in procuring the best available talent for our specific needs.

The Alabamas, LSUs, Auburns, Georgias and Tennesees of the college football world have the enviable advantage of having their pick of the cream of the crop talent each succeeding year.  The differential in the raw talent level of the star-rating system MUST be compensated for by superb coaching.

The coaches cannot go out onto the field and play in the games.  They are obliged to "coach up" the best available players, send them out to do battle, - - - and cross their fingers and toes.
well said